Photo
- - - - -

Saying the Lord's Prayer Backwards

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
28 replies to this topic

#21 Marabet

Marabet

Miss Clavel's Shadow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 07:58 PM

All good thoughts, JB. I have some feelings on it but I am not sure how to best articulate them...

I get you on not wanting to toy with that you don't understand but I have found that the best way to gain understanding is to dive in and work with it. Of course not always the safe bet. For example I wouldn't go just sticking any herb in my mouth. But one has to actually get their hands dirty with a craft to learn the craft. In our current society we are often told to "take it easy" to not "force it" and though I am not suggesting one goes for the extreme there is going to have to be a level of pushing beyond the comfort zone in order to move forward.

I ran to a tower where the church bells chime
I hoped that they would clear my mind
They left a ringing in my ear
But that drum's still beating loud and clear

{Florence + The Machine 'Drumming Song'}

#22 JuniperBaby

JuniperBaby

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 08:26 PM

Last night was a waning moon. I got my hands a bit dirty last night, in a way that I never have. To do nothing was clearing leaving myself more vulnerable than necessary. The moon was going to start waxing in a few hours and it was catch the energy right then, or wait another month. I acted.

But this...I think this, can wait at least a little bit. Maybe just till there are a few more posts here, that contain something significant enough to help me understand better. Right now I feel like a teenager standing on railroad tracks above a murky river being dared to jump. I found out that night, it's better to let someone else jump first, and find out that it's low tide and not deep enough. And I also didn't know there was raw sewerage in that river.

Aliis volat propriis.
She flies with her own wings.

#23 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 08:44 PM

Okay, I'm afraid to recite the LP backwards, but I'm going to be really slow in interpreting what that means. A lot of things are not black and white. In the past, I've felt ashamed, weak, chicken, etc and done things I regret to prove something to myself and to others, that didn't need to be proved, or just wasn't so black or white.

I was told that if I didn't do such and such, it meant such and such. Really? Prove it, has become my motto before I jump, to prove I'm not weak. Or prove to me that it matters and will be helpful.

I'm listening and learning, but...doing nothing till I'm ready and sure. Yes, sometimes I'm a little slow to act, but...that has helped me more often than harmed me. And being quick to act has harmed me more often that helped me. despite seldom doing it.

There is so much about the universe I don't understand. I don't like toying with what I don't understand. Doing nothing is a choice, so doing nothing has it's consequences too. I realize that. But when it comes to mocking a deity any deity...I feel like I'm being disrespectful to energy that is sacred to someone. I don't know :-0

I'll be thinking on this a bit.

It is a wise thing to take your time. LP backwards is not necessarily something many witches do, and is not a necessity unless you feel it is. Also, as seen in the above posts, there are many different versions of it. I personally am not into mocking the religions of other or their gods, but some versions can be used simply as closure, not mocking. But that is only a point, not an advocation of doing this rite. If you read the Paul Huson thread you will see that some people actually find the rite complete twaddle, but some people feel that way about gods too, so it is really up to the individual. It is very, very wise to not do something that you don't feel comfortable doing.

M

#24 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 08:48 PM

... In our current society we are often told to "take it easy" to not "force it" and though I am not suggesting one goes for the extreme there is going to have to be a level of pushing beyond the comfort zone in order to move forward.

And at the risk of sounding condratictory to myself, I also agree with this. I have been told countless times "don't do that until you know what you are doing." Which is like telling a baby "don't try to walk until you've learned how to walk." If the baby doesn't try you'll still be carrying a teenager on your hips. So one makes the house as safe as possible, and lets the baby toddle off, spills and scraped knees and all. It's a risk we all have to take sooner or later.

M

#25 Oakbuchanan

Oakbuchanan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 01:23 PM

Food for thought, that's for sure!

Certainly is....

#26 JuniperBaby

JuniperBaby

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 08:01 PM

Balance and moderation. Moving ahead, but with caution. With respect for others, but also taking care of yourself.

And having a good reason to DO something, rather than just not having a good reason NOT to do something.

Aliis volat propriis.
She flies with her own wings.

#27 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 09:27 PM

Balance and moderation. Moving ahead, but with caution. With respect for others, but also taking care of yourself.

And having a good reason to DO something, rather than just not having a good reason NOT to do something.

Sounds good to me :-)

M

#28 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 03:50 PM

Having never been indoctrinated in any way, I have no reason to say the Lord's Prayer or any prayer backward, forward, or sidewards, but an individual in my extended group of friends, reported doing this recently.

Thought I would bump it up for fun.

#29 Gramayr

Gramayr

'Mysterio'

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,282 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 05:03 PM

Having never been indoctrinated in any way, I have no reason to say the Lord's Prayer or any prayer backward, forward, or sidewards...
...Thought I would bump it up for fun.

Me neither, Amen, or should that be Mena :thumbsup:

"Great spirits have often encountered violent opposition from weak minds." - Albert Einstein