is having an intention enough?

HeksCiska

Dear all,

It occurred to me whether it would be possible to cast a spell, enchant someone or change the course of events of one's life simply by concentrating very hard on the result one intends to achieve, by purely focussing the mind, with a clear and specific intention, and with no tools at all?

Where am I coming from? When I used to pray to a God, I used to focus very hard on what I wanted to achieve, and I believed in the power of my prayer. I believed in myself really. Now, is self-belief enough to make things happen?

Are tools just that, tools to help, but the main "tool" we need is our mind, self-belief?

Do we need spirits, deities or anything else except ourselves and our intuition?

Kind regards to all,

Heks flyaway.gif

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dear all,

It occurred to me whether it would be possible to cast a spell, enchant someone or change the course of events of one's life simply by concentrating very hard on the result one intends to achieve, by purely focussing the mind, with a clear and specific intention, and with no tools at all?

Hey Heks - This post reflects my opinions at this time, and only my oinions as I am sure many will have different opinions: Anyone can change the course of their life at any time, intentionally or otherwise. Drive to the busiest street you know, park in the intersection and stand naked in it and pretend to direct traffic and I can guarantee you within minutes your life will change drasticaly (and not for the better, lol). Silly example, I know, but people can and do change their lives simply by having the desire to. People walk out of bad situations and go to college. People make bad decisions and act in anger. People can change their lives for better or worse in a heartbeat without magic, much less tools.

Where am I coming from? When I used to pray to a God, I used to focus very hard on what I wanted to achieve, and I believed in the power of my prayer. I believed in myself really. Now, is self-belief enough to make things happen?

So who changed your life - "God" or you? And that is a can of worms, lol. And if it was you who changed it, then were you "wrong" to pray to God, to believe in God, to believe in the power of prayer or the power of your relationsihp with this God? And if that God existed, then do other gods exist and which God is the "real" God? Or was it your belief alone which made things happen?

I don't bash the religions of others and I don't discount them, either. The best way to answer that question (which actually only you can answer for yourself) is to understand what a god is. Or rather, what it isn't. A god is not the mythology and/or the teachings of any given religion - even the religion that worships that god. That is merely the clothes in which they have dressed their interpretation of their god to make that god accessibleto them. Divinity is what lies past all that.

Are tools just that, tools to help, but the main "tool" we need is our mind, self-belief?

I find tools are many things to many people. As I work with the spirit of things, many of my tools are allies, not mere tools. They are not dead inanimate objects. A lot of people will probably disagree with that. Can one do magic "on the fly" with no tools. I would say yes. Magic is connecting to and manipulating existing energy. That can be done without tools.

Do we need spirits, deities or anything else except ourselves and our intuition?

Depends on what you are asking does one "need" them for. To do magic, no. One does not "need" them.

M

Kind regards to all,

Heks flyaway.gif

Dear all,

Kind regards to all,

Heks flyaway.gif

It's possible sure. It would likely be much much harder for a newer person than one with more experience. Personally, I enjoy working with tools because then you have extra energy that you are holding, feeling, experiencing along with your own energy to make things happen. Plus I am soo easily distracted that it helps a great deal with concentration.

And no,you do not need spirits or least of all deities. A decent amount of us are actually Atheists. I can't even remember a time that I had a spirit involved directly with any of my spell work.

Dear all,

I would say yes in some cases. Others will say no, and it probably comes down to how each is defining the term 'cast a spell'.

Again it will be different for everyone, but to me it depends on the type of prayer. Some prayer is supplication to a diety to do something for you, and I wouldn't consider that casting. When I was taught to pray in the religion I was raised it, I was taught to command what I wanted to happen in very specific terms and focus on the outcome completely with no slivers of doubt allowed in. Trance states were often involved. Quite different than supplication, and it worked well. For me, self belief is enough to make 'some' things happen, yes.

Unless your tools have become fetishes, I personally say yes in most cases. Depends on what you're doing.

Kind regards to all,

Heks flyaway.gif

Depends on the context of the 'need' is my personal opinion. ;)

wow thanks Michele, Wytchywoman and Aloe,

Lots for me to think about here! I have to go to bed because I have to get up at 7 for work, but, I shall think about these questions tomorrow and hopefully be able to answer some of the points you raised!

Thank you so much for all your insights,

Kindest regards,

Heks thankyou.gifwitchbroom.gif

Edited by Heks

Heks,

As a psychologist, I am a big fan of the power of positive thinking, as I have on countless occasions seen people turn their lives around, reach new goals, and fulfill their dreams by first believing in themselves. It is the first step toward a more constructive and prosperous life, in general.

In the same regard, focusing one's intention as defined within Craft circles (excuse the play on words) goes a long way toward helping the Witch achieve his/her magical and spiritual goals, especially when coupled with a strong belief in one's own power or ability to connect to power.

I know what you are asking, but I don't think 'tools' are at the heart of the answer. There are some 5-6 different threads that talk about tools and how Witches feel about tools. I'll let you search and scroll through those at your leisure, because the views are too varied to mention in one post. I don't think any of the perspectives that I have seen are exactly the same.

My personal view, as to whether intention alone is enough, is No. If I shut my eyes and wish real hard, before throwing this ball of paper in my hand toward the trash can, it just might go in. But, is that magic? No. Is it athletic prowess? Eh, no. It's chance.

It's the same with spells. If you focus your intent, as you described, you may achieve your stated goal; however, only you can tell if what occurred as a result was mere chance or some magical manifestation of your intent. I'm thinking, that if it works, who the hell cares anyway.

You do not have to call on deities or use specific tools to be a Witch or to cast spells, but there does have to be something; some connection to Power, some source of energy that the person can connect to and manipulate at some level. It is not for me to say who has that ability or who doesn't. Some folks never get past the wishing real hard stage, which is fine. More people could use a healthy dose of self confidence, but true spellcrafting requires, in addition to intention and power; patience, and among other things a whole helluva lot of practice.

Jevne

In terms of intention, there's 'wishing really hard' and then there's pushing power out with direction, whether its power you know that you were born with or that you drew in from your connection to other sources, there's focusing that power with one mind and no room for doubt and feeling it flow through you and seeing the results as the forces of nature and humanity around you suddenly align to your desire as if you are suspended between them and another world, leaving you breathless whether its the first or thousandth time its happened. To me, that is 'intent'.

I don't think intention is enough. There many well intentioned people and there is the pithy statement that it's the thought that counts. It's the majority opinion as far as I can tell to say it is all intent. But witches have been using so much more than intent for centuries and the whole it's all your intent thing seems to be an invention of the last few decades. Even the mages pyramid includes more than intent: daring cannot be under emphasized alongside will. So while I am struggling to define all that it takes nor can I boil it down to one easy formula. There is much more to it as far as I can tell.

In terms of intention, there's 'wishing really hard' and then there's pushing power out with direction, whether its power you know that you were born with or that you drew in from your connection to other sources, there's focusing that power with one mind and no room for doubt and feeling it flow through you and seeing the results as the forces of nature and humanity around you suddenly align to your desire as if you are suspended between them and another world, leaving you breathless whether its the first or thousandth time its happened. To me, that is 'intent'.

We could be getting into semantics here, but I see so much more than intent in your description: desire daring will power and single mindedness/concentration. If intent means all those things and more than I need a new dictionary! And in which case I would also need to retract my last post ;)

We could be getting into semantics here, but I see so much more than intent in your description: desire daring will power and single mindedness/concentration. If intent means all those things and more than I need a new dictionary! And in which case I would also need to retract my last post ;)

Semantics - always a pain in the ass. lol ;) The reason I said it is because we're discussing intent in the context of witchcraft. Personally, I don't believe that someone is a witch unless they access power - internally or externally, if there's no power there's no witch IMO. In the context of witches using intent, they would be directing power through their focused intention in my way of thinking. So in this context, I say that much can be accomplished through intention, because a witch has already accessed and stored power. Just my opinion though, and I could be viewing the question in a much different way than it was asked.

I used to wonder this kind of thing too. I think a lot of new age and self-help books have popularized the notion that "thoughts are things" (I don't disagree) and that you can think yourself out of and into just about any situation. And that may be true. But I don't think it is magic. I can think of a few scenarios where it might be (say, you were ill and not able to do much physically but instead worked consciously with your mind), but on the whole, it is important to do something, although maybe that is just my preferences and prejudices talking as I am far from an expert.

I think of it like this. Say you have a romantic partner and you are awfully attuned to each other and can pretty much read each other's mind/emotions/etc. most of the time. Does that mean you can just sit back and conduct your relationship silently and without much interaction? No! Even if you "know" your partner loves you, it means something to hear them actually say it. Even if you "know" what is troubling one another, it is still useful to verbalize it. It is also important to have physical contact, affection, sex, etc. rather than conducting your relationship all in your head.

The mind is a powerful tool, but there are other parts to us as well. We aren't just a mind or a spirit but a physical being too. To me, magic is most potent when all those aspects of us (physical, emotional, mental, etc.) are working in concert towards a goal/intent. You could do it piecemeal but I doubt it would be as satisfying either in the doing or the outcome.

And at the very least, I think doing the work is just more fun than thinking it.

--S

Semantics - always a pain in the ass. lol ;) The reason I said it is because we're discussing intent in the context of witchcraft. Personally, I don't believe that someone is a witch unless they access power - internally or externally, if there's no power there's no witch IMO. In the context of witches using intent, they would be directing power through their focused intention in my way of thinking. So in this context, I say that much can be accomplished through intention, because a witch has already accessed and stored power. Just my opinion though, and I could be viewing the question in a much different way than it was asked.

I see it that way too. That it wouldn't be just about intent but a witch actually accessing the power within them to do the spell.

I have also heard of this train of thought that if tools are not currently available to a witch, they can create something that is known as an astral alter with tools. But I would think this would still be all internal power manifested.

That it wouldn't be just about intent but a witch actually accessing the power within them to do the spell.

Hmm. I hadn't thought of it like that. I suppose accessing power does make it more than just focused intent. I can see how that would work.

Still for me personally, I like doing stuff. Part of that also may be that I have a history of depression and tend to "cut off" and go live in my mind for awhile and that of course only makes things worse. So, doing stuff, whether magic stuff or washing the dishes, is very important to my well being.

Did not read all the replys in depth (tired & emotional day....), but intent is NOT enough!

Th power comes from the WILL. Intent is all good & great, but if one does NOT have the sheer WILL to make it happen, then pre-destined "fate?" takes over...

:biggrin: ( just made myself feel better about ALOT of things bothering me!)

:lolol:

Edited by Willau

Hmm. I hadn't thought of it like that. I suppose accessing power does make it more than just focused intent. I can see how that would work.

Still for me personally, I like doing stuff. Part of that also may be that I have a history of depression and tend to "cut off" and go live in my mind for awhile and that of course only makes things worse. So, doing stuff, whether magic stuff or washing the dishes, is very important to my well being.

Most all trad witches like 'doing stuff', I doubt you'll see anyone here speaking of doing everything with intent alone. lol But, personally, I think much can be accomplished with it for some things, just depends on what you're doing, when, where, why.. etc. Going by my definition of intent in the context of witchcraft of course, which doesn't appear to be the norm.

As you can see opinions are very diffrent and it seems again it's all a question of definition too... which of course makes this forum in general such an interesting place! I just love it :)

Anyway, I believe that intent can change ones live indeed but I agree that it is not magical in it self. In order to want something, to desire it so much that you will change yourself, it needs a lot of energy and Will over a long periode. But I would call it positive thinking, and it stays within you. For me, to be a magical process you need to connect to the universe/the current/the web (however you call it). You need to know how to connect to it and release your energy and will so that it can work for you..... Do you need tools for this process. No.

However, as I believe that everything has a spirit, for me tools are not mere tools. They have their own energy and character which can support your intent.

I have also heard of this train of thought that if tools are not currently available to a witch, they can create something that is known as an astral alter with tools. But I would think this would still be all internal power manifested.

I do somethimes work on the astral plane. I don't do spells but I interact with spirit teachers and I offer them things there. As I believe that this is not only happening in my head but on an intersection between the worlds I do think that those offerings are not just my power manifested but are actually the essence of what i'm offering. (anyone agreeing with me or am I wrong on this?)

L.

I do somethimes work on the astral plane. I don't do spells but I interact with spirit teachers and I offer them things there. As I believe that this is not only happening in my head but on an intersection between the worlds I do think that those offerings are not just my power manifested but are actually the essence of what i'm offering. (anyone agreeing with me or am I wrong on this?)

L.

I am agreeing, I do this very very often. But what I was referring to was this train of thought where people are actually creating an astral alter equipped with tools and working with the tools and at the alter to perform spell work.

Dear all of you lovely people (sorry Jevne if I am a bit soppy at times!),

I have taken away from all your answers one basic opinion/tenet/(fact?) namely that a Witch needs to access power and that this power is needed for magic. This power is to be found outside the Witch. Tools may help the Witch to access/channel that power. I feel that this lies at the heart of everything. Tarot cards may help some Witches, whilst other Witches may use a pendulum and so on.

Now, I can see that praying to a deity is an attempt to tap into the power of the Divine, and I can also see that this attempt may or may not succeed depending not on the one who prays but on whether the deity in question is really Divine or not. Is the deity an invention? Does the deity exist? Michele's questions made me think deeply about the role of religion and I realise that Witches do not need religion to access the Divine/Power/Current. Basically, there is a source of power, and Witches access that power, and that can be dangerous.

Thank you all for giving me lots and lots of food for thought and good advice!

Kind regards to all,

thankyou.gif

Heks flyaway.gif

When I was a Christian I got it into my head to pray really hard about something. Something I thought was good, but that I now think was bad. For a long time afterwards I heard the people/victims involved directly quoting my prayers, even though I know they never heard them. This episode has deeply affected me, and my boys, who heard my prayers. We'll never forget it.

There were no tools involved or anything that we think of as magical. There was attempted contact with a diety.

So as I work with tools and magic now, I tend to be very minimalistic with what I use. I'm very, very affected by this episode. I know it shapes my Ways and Work now. I don't really know what I believe and am still figuring that out, But I do know that I don't believe my power is based on a table full of expensive tools that are useless for anything else.

My tools comfort me. I'm not sure how much I NEED them. I like having them :-0

On one hand I'd say "It Depends" and on the other I'd say "In my experience it takes more than just raw intent" - I'd add the addendum of : One has to be sure they know what they're intending.

If you come to the table saying "I want money" - do you want money, or do you want financial security? Those things are not the same. Do you want inheritance, do you want a lottery winning, do you want a fat, interest-bearing, bank account? Do you want to slip, fall, and shatter your left hip and sue?

I have taken away from all your answers one basic opinion/tenet/(fact?) namely that a Witch needs to access power and that this power is needed for magic. This power is to be found outside the Witch.

I'm with Aloe on this one, and also I don't think all the participants were implying this as all. I think most would agree that power within (not just outside) a witch is needed too. For instance, some one with no power within probably wouldn't be able to do a lot with power outside them. All I think people were saying was simple intent was not enough.

I think that it not only depends on what you are trying to do but also the experience of the witch. I tend to think more complicated stuff needs outside magic such as tools. I am very comforted by certain tools and I feel like they make me stronger, more focused, etc. So yes I think intent is a much but intention alone is not enough in my opinion.

Heks have a look at this thread http://www.traditionalwitch.net/forums/topic/8253-where-power-comes-fom/. It talks about exactly where power comes from and as you will see opinions differ. It seems it is all down to ones worldview or as Aloe said "personal truth". I agree with Wytchywoman: "All I think people were saying [here] was simple intent was not enough."

I am agreeing, I do this very very often. But what I was referring to was this train of thought where people are actually creating an astral alter equipped with tools and working with the tools and at the alter to perform spell work.

Ok, I'm not sure how this is different. Wouldn't they work with the essence of the tool too? I think it might be down to ones understanding of tools? I have to think about this a bit more. :)