• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#21 Whiterose

Whiterose

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,747 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 01:10 PM

Oh, hell yeah! I make my living through enchantment. I won't go into details in the public forum, but planting thoughts, manipulating emotions, taking advantages of situations, strengths, weaknesses, etc. are all part of that. Yes, much more subtle, than what most folks think of as spells, but in many ways much more powerful.

I do not personally believe that everyone can or should practice this type of magic. Given the right circumstances, anyone could enchant; however, intentional manipulation of others' wills is an advanced skill, which requires an insane amount of personal responsibility, as there are potential risks to self and others. My access is through my Empathic ability. I assume there are other ways, as you have mentioned.

Don't know why I didn't see this before.  I do this as well. I agree with the highlighted points.  I have learned that the hard way by "playing" with people.  I haven't given it a name before, though enchantment fits the bill. 

#22 Autumn Moon

Autumn Moon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 03:32 PM

When I think of 'enchantment' what comes to mind is to put a spell or enchantment on an object that will achieve a particular purpose for the person. Another word that comes to mind and similar in meaning is 'bewitched'.

#23 Athena

Athena

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 06:45 AM

I enchant things that I give to others or even things I just have around the house , like a bracelet of jade beads for healing energy or a sweater woven with positive energy for someone suffering from depression. Obviously there are darker things I could do as well like weaving dark energy into a dream catcher.

I tend to think of enchantments as long term rather than spells that I usually just do and forget about.

Edited by Athena, 20 July 2013 - 06:47 AM.

#24 Roanna

Roanna

She of the spiders and degus...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 10:04 AM

I enchant things that I give to others or even things I just have around the house , like a bracelet of jade beads for healing energy or a sweater woven with positive energy for someone suffering from depression. Obviously there are darker things I could do as well like weaving dark energy into a dream catcher.

The psychology of enchantments interests me. Obviously as witches we know there is a tangible power in an enchanted object, a power that exists beyond the belief of the owner. But to what degree would you say that the belief of the owner plays a part? If I gave someone a bracelet and told them it was enchanted but put no working into it I would get some sort of result because the belief of the recipient would generate its own protection. Do you think an enchantment is more powerful if worked in conjunction with the individual's belief as well?

Do what you believe to be the right thing and trust yourself.

Witchpathforward My website incorporating "Ask a Witch a Question," my blog and websites of witchy interest.

#25 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 01:52 PM

That's an interesting question.... like the "self fulfilling prophecy"... I do believe an enchantment will work on it's own (depending on how it is directed), but I do believe that the belief (or fear,  or trust) of the receiver will also come into play. I believe this is one of the reasons (yet not the only one) people were sometimes warned of an impending curse. It can start the ball rolling and be worked into it, can feed a fear or a hope.

I also think that in  workings, especially those involving connection/guidance/interaction, that the "receiver" of the object must have a belief, or else they will not "hear" when they are "spoken" to. They will just pass it by like someone rushing through a morning garden on their way to work, who notices nothing... Who overlooks the trees whispering, the spiders spinning, the bees gathering, the thorns growing, the ivy twining and what the garden is becoming...

M

#26 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 03:50 AM

That's an interesting question.... like the "self fulfilling prophecy"... I do believe an enchantment will work on it's own (depending on how it is directed), but I do believe that the belief (or fear,  or trust) of the receiver will also come into play. I believe this is one of the reasons (yet not the only one) people were sometimes warned of an impending curse. It can start the ball rolling and be worked into it, can feed a fear or a hope.

M

In general, I agree with Michele, but I rarely tell the target that I am working an enchantment or any other type of spell.  It is not necessary.  If I am working to help the person, I usually do not tell them, because I am concerned that they will accidentally fuck it up.  If I am working to manipulate or harm the person in some way, once again . . . I don't want them to take any action to derail my plans.  I can play head-games, as well as the next person, but I am a Witch, not a con-artist. 

#27 Roanna

Roanna

She of the spiders and degus...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 08:23 AM

I can play head-games, as well as the next person, but I am a Witch, not a con-artist. 

While I agree with the above, I cannot help wondering if there is a subtle difference between deliberately misleading somebody and incorporating their own intentions into a working. The belief of the recipient does not necessarily imply that the spell is all about mind games, there can be a very genuine tangible spell at work further enhanced by the belief of the person receiving it. To take my example of the charm protection bracelet. I have no doubt it would work as an object in its own right if I enchanted it as an object of protection, equally I have no doubt it would work as a "placebo" if I gave it to someone and told them it would work for protection. So to my mind, it follows that it will work best in conjunction with both - the object itself WILL protect and the person receiving it is told and believes that it will.

Not so much head games but utilising the intent of everyone concerned? 

Do what you believe to be the right thing and trust yourself.

Witchpathforward My website incorporating "Ask a Witch a Question," my blog and websites of witchy interest.

#28 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 01:07 PM

I suppose it depends on the charm and whether or not the person for whom it is made is in agreement with it or whether or not they would resent the "help." For example, a "sleep charm" for my mum who sometimes has trouble sleeping at night - it will work best if kept in the bedroom, under her pillow or in her bed. So I tell her what it is, and where to keep it so it doesn't end up getting hung over her computer and have her yawning while she's trying to balance her checkbook, lol. A lot of the things I do require a specific vicinity... like protection or guidance jewelry (which will not do much good stuck in the bottom of the jewelry box), etc.

To have a charm work best, a person/family (in my way) needs to hang it where the vicinity and related associations of that vicinity will best support the charm's intended use. Hearth protections (of the whole family) are hung in the hearth/kitchen. Personal protections are worn, travel protections hung on the rear-view mirror, etc. So for me, I would usually tell the person what it is for, where to hang it, and how to interact with it (if it was an interactive charm). 

M

#29 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 01:37 PM

Not so much head games but utilising the intent of everyone concerned? 

Bumped a related thread for you.  There are a couple of others, so when I happen upon those, I'll let you know.

J

#30 Whiterose

Whiterose

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,747 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 05:09 PM

I suppose it depends on the charm and whether or not the person for whom it is made is in agreement with it or whether or not they would resent the "help." For example, a "sleep charm" for my mum who sometimes has trouble sleeping at night - it will work best if kept in the bedroom, under her pillow or in her bed. So I tell her what it is, and where to keep it so it doesn't end up getting hung over her computer and have her yawning while she's trying to balance her checkbook, lol. A lot of the things I do require a specific vicinity... like protection or guidance jewelry (which will not do much good stuck in the bottom of the jewelry box), etc.

To have a charm work best, a person/family (in my way) needs to hang it where the vicinity and related associations of that vicinity will best support the charm's intended use. Hearth protections (of the whole family) are hung in the hearth/kitchen. Personal protections are worn, travel protections hung on the rear-view mirror, etc. So for me, I would usually tell the person what it is for, where to hang it, and how to interact with it (if it was an interactive charm). 

M

I agree with the vicinity part.  I think if an object is enchanted it works by proximity versus a spell done to alter the fabric of reality with one's petitioned goal.  Hence, the charmed objects need to be placed where they would best achieve their purpose. Cursed objects work in this way too. 

#31 Autumn Moon

Autumn Moon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 10:04 PM

M

I agree with that.

To me, its the way charms are constructed and with the intent that they should be close to the person, or at least in the general vicinity.

#32 Wexler

Wexler

Something wrong? Blame retrograde

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 10:54 PM

I have been thinking lately about softer, slier magic. My usual method is to beat something over the head until it works, but this takes a lot of energy, and is so obvious, and really feels out of place sometimes - it doesn't always suit me to have a situation looking like patchwork where I messed with it.

I have been considering that a lot of things are a hair's breath away from being "off" and just a nudge away from the path you want them on. A person's smile could be disarming and friendly, but a twitch of the skin could make it disturbing or unsettling instead. During a conversation, stress on a single syllable of a word or flicking your eyes in the wrong direction can totally change the meaning of what is being communicated. Sometimes such insignificant (and easily misinterpreted) things can have huge effects in the long run. Especially in terms of people, I think it is important to know exactly how they will react to a nudge before you make it. I can't see any other way to get the results you want. Perhaps the best results could be procured by just very barely changing someone's normal thought process or behavior, so that the enchantment works with them and off of their momentum, until a snowball effect is obtained and it's too late for the target to turn back (or realize what is happening).

I think the effects of having people think and see just a little differently could have much more power over time than a smack upside the head, even if the smack has a lot of muscle behind it.

...Just my daily rambling :coffee:

'Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.'

'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.'

[avatar source]

#33 RoseRed

RoseRed

. . . Not a big believer in . . . cowinkydink ;)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 03:39 PM

When it comes to enchantments I think a full frontal attack can be overkill especially if you're wanting smaller changes.  Plus a lot of (mundane) people have natural defenses that they're not even aware of.  The sliding in the back door, an unlocked basement window or even up through the floorboards (it never fails to amaze me how many people forget to shield beneath them) may have a better chance of getting through natural or created shields.

I don't think it's truly possible to know exactly how any person will react to a nudge at any given time.  There's just too many variables - mood, outside circumstances, having a really good or bad day, hell, even the phase of the moon could have an effect.  I do think that people, regardless of the little things, are pretty much themselves for the most part.  An educated guess if you know the person is usually pretty accurate.

I don't know how it is for anyone else here and speaking only for myself - I work with enchantments differently than full on spells - whether for help or harm.  It's also really helpful if the target of the enchantment accepts it willingly - whether intellectually or by accepting an enchanted object.

When my wings get tired I grab my broom.

#34 FrozenThunderbolt

FrozenThunderbolt

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 08:34 AM

This is an interesting thread I would like to bump.

I have always considered 'enchantment' to be the creation a spelled object to draw or hold or amplify powers/ to protect/ or to achieve a set purpose.
Essentially a spell with a visible, enduring and manifest form.

In my eyes a fetish, poppet, amulet, talisman or wand would  all be a form of enchantment.

This is opposed to a spell that is formed, empowered (spoken if appropriate) and set aside in one's mind.

When I think of 'enchantment' what comes to mind is to put a spell or enchantment on an object that will achieve a particular purpose for the person. Another word that comes to mind and similar in meaning is 'bewitched'.

This is the idea that now has me reconsidering my definition - that enchantment is linked to a particular person.

The posts up thread of creating a direct (even without physical focus) link to a person for an effect is what I would have considered 'charming' or 'bewitching'. That is; creating an (often) emotional/emphatic link to effect change in another specific human.

I tend to think of enchantments as long term rather than spells that I usually just do and forget about.

This is more like the way I think of 'enchantment' - long term and object bound for specific effect.

I would certainly agree that  something enchanted with a specific target/user/beneficiary in mind is likely to work better, but that once enchanted/imbued/programmed that object will continue to exert its influence unless destroyed or wiped by something or some one with equal or greater strength of intent.

I DO realize that overall, this is all just a matter of semantics, but I wanted to thank everyone for challenging me to justify the way I think about things, it was really useful.

"Jack of all trades, master of none, though oftentimes better than master of one." You may call me Jed.  

#35 MuireAnne

MuireAnne

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 11:01 AM

Great thread! I also had a similar impression of what an enchantment is, ThunderBolt. As I read through this thread, however, I realized that, as an empath, this is something that I do almost subconsciously. I think that this is such a powerful ability; to be able to influence the thoughts, feelings, and therefore the actions of other people. I tend to think of this as 'turning on the charm,' and I've used it (usually to great success) with employers, clients, coworkers, classmates, teachers, loan officers, salesmen, law enforcement, children (although children can be notoriously resistant!), friends, family, and lovers. I used to think that I was just really persuasive and able to bring people round to my way of looking at things, but I believe that it is definitely something more than that.

I am very interested in hearing more about the "cords," and how one might work a connection to another person in this way. My methods are more akin to 'planting seeds' in another's mind. While generally effective, this can also be unpredictable because you never quite know how the 'plant' will grow and develop. Being able to connect via a psychic cord seems like a whole new level of influence and I would like to learn more about this.

True magic is neither bad nor good. It is both, because nature is both; loving and cruel all at the same time. The only good or bad is in the heart of the witch. Life keeps a balance on its own. - Lirio

#36 Kinder

Kinder

• Seekers
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 03 November 2017 - 03:09 PM

Who overlooks the trees whispering, the spiders spinning, the bees gathering, the thorns growing, the ivy twining and what the garden is becoming...

M

I must say.. I love this line!