Where The Spirits Ride The Wind

ruby

Picked this one up a few weeks ago and am still reading through it, but, I am finding it to be really interesting and unique. This is not a book that is written from an aspect of witchcraft, but instead, you'd find this one under Anthropology.

For anyone who is interested in yoga, postures for use in their practice, shamanism-this is a fascinating study that you might enjoy reading...and trying

Taken from the back of the book ...

"While studying bodily changes during religious trances, Felicitas Goodman made a remarkable observation. She discovered a method by which spirit-conducive altered conscious states can be studied. During the course of her experimentation, Dr Goodman and her coworkers discovered thirty postures which made possible what she terms psychological archeology. They found that their visionary experiences were not merely personal visions but in many cases were manifestations of some of the most ancient myths of western folklore and non-western religious traditions. Individuals during these trances were experiencing a recreation of the sacred part of the life-ways of hunters and gatherers.

Where the Spirits Ride the Wind suggests reexamining our notions of the nature of reality. For readers desiring to discover this world of ancient myths, Dr Goodman has included a practical guide on how to achieve such ecstatic experiences."

BTW-This is an older one-published in 1990-so some may be very familiar with it already. I discovered it in a used bookstore and had not heard of it before that day :)

Have a good one,

Anara

Sounds interesting, I'd love to hear more when you are finished.

Hi Oceana's Moon,

If I come across anything further that I think is interesting in the book, I'll be sure to post it! From what I have read so far, to really experience the philosophies and thoughts of the author, you almost have to work through each posture and discover for yourself where the information takes you. At least, from my perspective, that is how I am comprehending the knowledge...

So, having said that-it will probably be awhile before I have much else to say on the book, because I'd like to take the time to go through these before I comment further..lol

*other that that, I guess I should mention that for anyone who decides to get the book-make sure you read the appendix towards the back of the book-it is a single page that is easily missed, but provides practical information for anyone who wants to try these postures from antiquity...including the author's recommendation that when you first try these-have someone else with you, because on occasion, she discovered a few people had a hard time "coming back" from the trance state & needed to be gently guided back.

Anara

• 1 year later...

Bumping this up for W.R (and anyone else who might be interested). Although I didn't get the chance to work through most of the postures, I still think the book offered some value, now that I am reflecting a bit on some other experiences. As soon as this semester is over, think I will pull this one off of the shelf and continue reading. :)

I really like Felictas Goodman. She wrote a book called the Exorcism of Annelise Michele in which she theorized that the medications Annelise were given for epilepsy actually trapped her into a possessed state. Had she not been given the medications then the exorcisms would have worked. I like her anthropological ideas. I will have to check out this book. Thanks Anara!