• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 JuniperBaby

JuniperBaby

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 08:44 AM

I recently read that some witches have problems with watches breaking or malfunctioning while performing magic, especially when in a circle. I love my big clunky watch that is also a compass. I've actually been looking at ways to USE it in magic. I like to use all my beloved things that I have formed a strong connection with. Reading this made me feel sad. Tell me it isn't true that watches and magic can't mix :-(
Aliis volat propriis.
She flies with her own wings.

#2 8people

8people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 08:56 AM

Sometimes watches mess up with certain people. If you're that worried don't wear it when working - have you actually tried anything with it yet? Only way to know.

#3 JuniperBaby

JuniperBaby

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 09:37 AM

Sometimes watches mess up with certain people. If you're that worried don't wear it when working - have you actually tried anything with it yet? Only way to know.

It seems to be fine so far...but I look at it, and have urges to find a way to USE it, somehow. I got thrown when I read the two don't mix. It kind of shut down something inside me.

Aliis volat propriis.

#4 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 11:31 AM

I do not understand how someone else's watch not working has anything to do with you or your watch. Yes, I have heard of people who cannot wear watches for whatever reason. BUT, that is them. If your watch works fine for you, than what difference does it makes (i.e. why should it worry you)?

I don't wear a watch, because 1) they physically bother me, and 2) I would keep looking at it all the time, and I don't like to feel like I'm under a time constraint. But, I can see the benefit of having a compass within the Compass. I am not as exacting as all that, though. I always have a general idea of where North is.

I'm with 8People on this. If it hasn't failed for you, who cares what happens with other people.

Jevne

#5 spinney

spinney

Local hedge witch

• Moderators
  • 2,732 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 11:37 AM

I've never heard of this. I mean, really? Posted Image

#6 JuniperBaby

JuniperBaby

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 11:58 AM

Thanks! :-)
Aliis volat propriis.

#7 Oceana's Moon

Oceana's Moon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 12:59 PM

I think what you may be referring to is drawing the energy. Like the others said, if it works for you, use it. I am one of those people who can't wear a watch, I drain the batteries too fast. I also drive under the street lamps and they go out, the radio I wear on my hip for work needs the battery replaced every couple of months instead of years, blah blah blah. If you haven't had a problem before, you shouldn't have one now.
"Success is a ladder to be climbed and you can't do it with your hands in your pockets."

#8 8people

8people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 01:30 PM

Spinney - there seems to be a couple of topics in the private playground that have mentioned recurring electronic issues.

My mother (who admittedly isn't a witch, or at least not a self acknowledge one... I swear the weird stuff that happens to her sometimes...) has to test watches before buying as some clocks start turning backwards when she's near them.

I have problems with batteries and chargers draining or breaking absurdly fast, otherwise I get on fantastically with technology, including giving it a bit of an oomph in performance... or y'know, inciting hard drive failure on the occasional jerk :whistling:

Not really clasically traditional, I know, but when you have a knack for something peculiar might as well master the niche!

#9 sarasuperid

sarasuperid

Wild Witch of the West

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,429 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 03:43 PM

I am not so big on thou shalls and thou shall nots in witchcraft (except when it comes to precautions with dangerous plants, spirits, or animals). For the most part if something works for you, great! I don't use watches in magic because for me it messes up the inbetweeness aspect that is important in my lore. However, I have used a compass and I would again, because when one travels to the otherworldl through the sea, a compass is a good anchor for finding your way back. At least, I am guessing that is the symbolism, I tried it with a compass at my teachers instruction and really liked it. I am in fact on the lookout for a new compass, because I miss having it. I have been using another form of anchor to good result, but a compass has been on my mind lately.
"A Craft, a calling, a set of Keys to unlock a particular cosmology that is borne, and born, in the blood of the practitioner, and sets the Work to be done with which one may commune with those who hold the patterns and keys of the life of the practitioner and hir stream. The Work is to be done, and we are to do it." --Aiseling the Bard

#10 Marabet

Marabet

Miss Clavel's Shadow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 03:47 PM

I do not understand how someone else's watch not working has anything to do with you or your watch. Yes, I have heard of people who cannot wear watches for whatever reason. BUT, that is them. If your watch works fine for you, than what difference does it makes (i.e. why should it worry you)?

I don't wear a watch, because 1) they physically bother me, and 2) I would keep looking at it all the time, and I don't like to feel like I'm under a time constraint. But, I can see the benefit of having a compass within the Compass. I am not as exacting as all that, though. I always have a general idea of where North is.

I'm with 8People on this. If it hasn't failed for you, who cares what happens with other people.

Jevne

This is essentially my take as well. It sounds just like another one of those rules based on a handful of people but not backed by much else.

I ran to a tower where the church bells chime
I hoped that they would clear my mind
They left a ringing in my ear
But that drum's still beating loud and clear

{Florence + The Machine 'Drumming Song'}

#11 Aloe

Aloe

ridge running Ozark banshee..

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,420 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 03:53 PM

I got thrown when I read the two don't mix. It kind of shut down something inside me.

If you're letting things you read shut down something inside you, you're going to have a LOT of issues walking your path through witchcraft. Just saying.

"The people who live in the Ozark country of Missouri and Arkansas were, until very recently, the most deliberately unprogressive people in the United States. Descended from pioneers who came West from the Southern Appalachians at the beginning of the nineteenth century, they made little contact with the outer world for more than a hundred years. They seem like foreigners to the average urban American, but nearly all of them come of British stock, and many families have lived in America since colonial days. Their material heirlooms are few, but like all isolated illiterates they have clung to the old songs and obsolete sayings and outworn customs of their ancestors." Ozark Magic and Folklore

#12 wolf

wolf

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 04:21 PM

Aloe has a good point here.

Anything you read will be someone elses personal opinion or how they viewed a subject or how they felt etc and your opinion/view/feelings towards the same subject could be totally different.
I tend to take what I read, use it as a pointer and then go and check it out myself because then ive experienced it and know how it felt or if it worked or didnt,

Wolf.

#13 Brigid

Brigid

Beyond The Bullshit...........yeah, even yours.......

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,283 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 05:19 PM

I have heard of people that have some electro magnetic something or other that effects watches and clocks.

I have been wearing the same spectacular watch for 6 years that my husband bought me for my 40th birthday, it never comes off my wrist!

This phenomenon has NOTHING to do with witchcraft what so ever!!

Neither does me wearing or not wearing a watch for that matter :)

Ritualistic behaviour, though well-intentioned, possesses no significance or effectiveness unless its external prescription is matched by a personal, internal motivation of will and desire.

#14 JuniperBaby

JuniperBaby

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 09:57 PM

If you're letting things you read shut down something inside you, you're going to have a LOT of issues walking your path through witchcraft. Just saying.

Yes, I know :-( In my intro I wrote it as my greatest magical weakness. Post trauma recovery is slow work and I still have a lot of work to do, to trust myself.

My watch has never been quite right since I bought it to replace my other not quite right watch. It needs to go back. I feel entirely naked and vulnerable without it on, but since the information it is giving me isn't correct there is no use wearing it. I don't know why I need to constantly check the time and sometimes my direction...but I do :-0

I guess it will be the new watch that gets experimented with magically. I think I need to pick it out very carefully. I may have to use the spine knot spell to get a backbone before I deal with this.

Edited by JuniperBaby, 07 November 2011 - 09:58 PM.

Aliis volat propriis.

#15 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 12:16 AM

The one thing that pops into my mind is that time in otherworlds is not liniar. Humans invented logical liniar time. It is merely a mesaurement of decay, and in a world where there is no decay, there is no time. So to insert a logical, linar piece into a magical working may well go against the working itself. I suppose one could use it to specifically say "in 3 hours I will be offered a new job" and I do agree with putting time restraints or envocations a a lot of magic, and I suppose you could use it for that, but I think I would probably use a non-liniar time measure (by noon, by the next full moon, within then next 3 moons, within 7 sunrises, etc). I don't know, maybe I'm wrong, lol, but I just never though of bringing a watch into it.

M

#16 Wytchywoman

Wytchywoman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 07:03 AM

Hi Juniper,

I agree with everyone that is pointing out that if it works for you, or feels right within your soul to use a watch in magic then that is what you should be doing. Forget what all these various sources say. You ask a question in witchcraft you are libel to get varied answers, and as Aloe points out, you can't let these answers that you may be troubled by shut you down.

Remember this not just with your watch, but anything on your path. Something that might be all wrong for another witch may be 100% right for you. This is part of why the path can get a bit crooked, you need to play and experiment and you'll discover quite a bit by trial and error.

Smile! It makes people wonder what you're up to..

#17 8people

8people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 08:32 AM

If your watch isn't working quite right and you're wanting to try a litte something witchy with it you could see if combining the two works for you. Even if it's just a preparation for repair or to 'mark' it as your own so you can find it if it ever gets lost.

I'm of the school of thought that time is merely a dimension, like length, width or height - it's a measurement. A clock is a tool to measure along that distance, It's linear to humans as three dimensional creatures, beings that exist in four dimensions can hop along time as naturally as we can pick up a mug and pop it on a shelf.

It does make me curious if other measurement devices can bugger up if utilised when dealing with loss or addition of dimension, for example astral travel tends to warp spacial travel if one tries to extend any distance, could a laser ruler or other such thing be damaged if used as a focus or held whilst attempting to travel?

#18 JuniperBaby

JuniperBaby

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 01:29 PM

Thank you all for the advice and information. It really helps to read a variety of responses. Even the tone and bits between the lines not written. I find forum chit chat to supplement books so helpful. I think clearer the more voices and the more input, instead of less clearer. I'm not sure how to explain it.

I spent hours last night online researching and then tinkering with the watch. I have most of it fixed...I think. The altimeter part though--which I understand and care about the least--is registering some amazingly off readings though :-0

I bonded with this watch as soon as I put it on. The magic that works best for me is the magic I do with the items I depend on and bond with. I'll keep working with this. When I use bonded with items, I feel confident that the spell is safe and accurate. It's so natural that it doesn't even feel like a spell, just...I don't know what. But I feel strong and supported by the universe and safer and...linked up with...I don't know what. There is so much I do not understand, yet, and maybe ever.

Aliis volat propriis.

#19 Grymdycche

Grymdycche

Thaumaturge Medicocre

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,480 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 10:52 PM

Just as a curiosity, I'll mention this, some of you may find it interesting... a friend of my wife's family has always said she can't wear watches, somehow she kills them. Now, if this is battery powered watches, or mechanical spring mechanism watches, or both, I don't know. I forgot to ask.
So, wondering if it was something electro-magnetic, I tested her a few years ago, using a Trifield EM Natural meter, which is tuned to detect weak DC EM fields, and ULF (Ultra Low Frequency) EM fields, up to about maybe 20Hz.
Product info: http://www.trifield....magnetic-meter/
This thing is extremely sensitive and can detect some people in an adjacent room, due to the subtle electric field a human body generates.
Why on Earth do I have one of these? Because of my side interest in ghost hunting, natch! ;)
Anyway, she didn't register on the thing at all, or at least, no more than any of the rest of us, which I found very disappointing.I had really, really hoped to find something different about her, a stronger field or something. Nada. I'm at a loss to explain the "dead watch phenomenon", scientifically.

Myself, I don't wear a watch because I find them annoyingly uncomfortable, especially when typing. I just use my cell (mobile) phone for timekeeping.

http://runeforum.phrets.com
9 out of 10 string theory physicists agree: 'Nothing Rests; Everything Moves; Everything Vibrates'' -the Kybalion.

#20 Aloe

Aloe

ridge running Ozark banshee..

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,420 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 10:58 PM

Just as a curiosity, I'll mention this, some of you may find it interesting... a friend of my wife's family has always said she can't wear watches, somehow she kills them. Now, if this is battery powered watches, or mechanical spring mechanism watches, or both, I don't know. I forgot to ask.
So, wondering if it was something electro-magnetic, I tested her a few years ago, using a Trifield EM Natural meter, which is tuned to detect weak DC EM fields, and ULF (Ultra Low Frequency) EM fields, up to about maybe 20Hz.
Product info: http://www.trifield....magnetic-meter/
This thing is extremely sensitive and can detect some people in an adjacent room, due to the subtle electric field a human body generates.
Why on Earth do I have one of these? Because of my side interest in ghost hunting, natch! ;)
Anyway, she didn't register on the thing at all, or at least, no more than any of the rest of us, which I found very disappointing.I had really, really hoped to find something different about her, a stronger field or something. Nada. I'm at a loss to explain the "dead watch phenomenon", scientifically.

Myself, I don't wear a watch because I find them annoyingly uncomfortable, especially when typing. I just use my cell (mobile) phone for timekeeping.

How interesting, I would have thought something different would register about her too.

I hadn't worn a watch in years, then this year on my employment anniversary my company gave me a nice swiss watch. So I wear one now.. what can I say, its shiny. lol No problems detected yet.

"The people who live in the Ozark country of Missouri and Arkansas were, until very recently, the most deliberately unprogressive people in the United States. Descended from pioneers who came West from the Southern Appalachians at the beginning of the nineteenth century, they made little contact with the outer world for more than a hundred years. They seem like foreigners to the average urban American, but nearly all of them come of British stock, and many families have lived in America since colonial days. Their material heirlooms are few, but like all isolated illiterates they have clung to the old songs and obsolete sayings and outworn customs of their ancestors." Ozark Magic and Folklore