Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HeksCiska

Having a tattoo depicting a witch on a broom

Hello! I have always loved the concept of the witch as a wise woman, who was free from traditional conventions in society, who lived her own life, full of knowledge and would be consulted by members of the community when all else fails. I have lost myself for a long while in exploring monotheistic religions, but never felt satisfied, no matter how much knowledge I acquired or how much I prayed to the deity in question. My stepfather once said, over 10 years ago that I was spiritual but not religious and that I would never be able to stick to a religion as it is too restrictive for me. Unfortunately, I did not listen to him. Now, I also found that the answer to my quest lies within me, flows through my (Flemish) veins. I believe my Germanic ancestors' beliefs are dormant within me. I always kept figurines of witches, even when I tried very hard to practice monotheism. Now, I feel I don't need any deity. I have found myself, and I have decided to do what I have been wanting to do for a while, which is having a tattoo of a witch on a broom. I found a really nice one, and went to the tattoo parlour today and they said they'd do something nice. I am very happy. The witch symbolises everything I feel I am in embryonic form and everything I want to be and remain until my death. I found lots of treasures on your site, and I will follow the advice I found on here, namely to read the forums and to note things down (I have started to do this in a specific book) and to get out into nature (it is through walking amongst trees that I realised that life is so simple, there is nature and we are part of it, and we can draw strength from nature, and the spirits in nature) and let the spirits guide me. I did not like Wicca because it resembled religion too much and, for me, organised religion imprisons the human spirit. I am happy to be on this site, and am grateful to be able to learn from all the posts here. So, I was wondering if other (aspiring) witches have tattoos depicting a witch and what they think of this. Thank you.redface.gif

Hello!

As to the question, I believe a search for the word "tattoo" will give you insight into who has one, what it is, and why.

I would suggest, that since you haven't been practicing very long, you might want to wait a bit on the witch broom tattoo. With a little time, you may find something else, a depiction or symbol, that suits you better.

Hello!

As to the question, I believe a search for the word "tattoo" will give you insight into who has one, what it is, and why.

I would suggest, that since you haven't been practicing very long, you might want to wait a bit on the witch broom tattoo. With a little time, you may find something else, a depiction or symbol, that suits you better.

Thank you Jevne, that is sensible advice, I know. Only thing is, I have been wanting such a tattoo for so long that I am not sure I can wait now that I managed to extricate myself from organised religion and have found and connected with traditional witchcraft! I am very stubborn, lol! thankyou.gif

Broom-riding symbolism was often related to the Witches' Sabbat, and there was often dieific-related themes to the Sabbat, so if you're not into dieties you may want to rethink or look into the symbolism first.

M

Love the idea of your tattoo, seems like a talisman for you and if you can concentrate on anything besides the pain when you get it, I suggest imbuing the time with meaningful thoughts. Tattoos are a rite of passage in many cultures and it seems only rite that you get the one you have wanted for so long.

Love the idea of your tattoo, seems like a talisman for you and if you can concentrate on anything besides the pain when you get it, I suggest imbuing the time with meaningful thoughts. Tattoos are a rite of passage in many cultures and it seems only rite that you get the one you have wanted for so long.

Thank you Sarasuperid, that is very kind of you to say handshake.gif; I feel like I have suppressed my affinity with witches for so long that this tattoo symbolises freedom for me; it also represents a point of no-return, a new chapter in my life, away from religion and its dictates. I am so lucky I live in a time and place where I can get this tattoo and be safe. When I went to the tattoo parlour, they said they remembered me coming in for a witch tattoo about a year ago! They seemed happy I finally got the courage to get the tattoo I wanted! They are a very popular place and I have to wait over a month for an appointment but I know that I will get a wonderful tattoo which will have a deep meaning for me. It also cuts my ties with the religion of my ex, who is from the Middle East, and this is done very effectively through this tattoo, as they are forbidden in his religion. I am European, I connect with spirits in trees and I feel I can communicate very well with cats, even though I do not have a cat (my landlady won't allow it). flyaway.gif

Broom-riding symbolism was often related to the Witches' Sabbat, and there was often dieific-related themes to the Sabbat, so if you're not into dieties you may want to rethink or look into the symbolism first.

M

Thank you Michele for these insights in the symbolism behind broom-riding; I shall investigate this further; how very interesting, thank you for sharing your knowledge! I always thought that the idea of broom-riding was connected to witches' ability to leave their bodies and travel with their spirit only but I have to look into that.

Kind regards,

crystal-gazing.gif

Tattoo's are very permanent, and they are the choice of the Witch, the Witch does not call upon a Diety or the Otherworld to "place an initiated mark ", it is the human person invoking this. If you use Dieties in your path, then by all means invoke that Diety ! I know this from being a Military mother, my son and my nephews tattoed their SSN on their bodies for identification purposes. Those that seek to initiate themselves to the Old Religion, give themselves the bondifed mark of the Witch for all times, it's part of her/his initiating their own path, a mark of change or a time to begin. Giving up that blood that the artist swabs away is a burial for old passing to new. My opinions only.

Regards,

Gypsy

Yeah I have my swabs..... lol

Tattoo's are very permanent, and they are the choice of the Witch, the Witch does not call upon a Diety or the Otherworld to "place an initiated mark ", it is the human person invoking this. If you use Dieties in your path, then by all means invoke that Diety ! I know this from being a Military mother, my son and my nephews tattoed their SSN on their bodies for identification purposes. Those that seek to initiate themselves to the Old Religion, give themselves the bondifed mark of the Witch for all times, it's part of her/his initiating their own path, a mark of change or a time to begin. Giving up that blood that the artist swabs away is a burial for old passing to new. My opinions only.

Regards,

Gypsy

Wow, this is wonderfully written and very profound, CelticGypsy, thanks for your insights; what you wrote expresses how I feel!

witch2.gif

My mom once said to me that we always regret the things we do NOT do, much more than the things that we DO.

You are not me...so...your feelings in a few years are likely to be different, than I know mine would be.

Take your time with the decision. Use the search key as suggested and read about how others here have approached tattoos so you can glean from their experiences. Then make the best choice you can now, knowing what you do NOW, and...then just...boldly live with the consequences of the decision whatever they turn out to be. For those of us who can't see into the future--at least yet--have to just make decisions without knowing what the consequences will be :-0

My Dad had his SSN removed about 10 years ago, very expensive!!

It's good that you have to wait a month, it gives you time to contemplate!!

Of course do what makes you happy, it's your body, just make certain you are doing it for you and not to stick it to someone else! Just a thought.....

My Dad did the same with his SSN but had it removed 10 years ago!

This is a huge decision as it's not cheap to undo, take the month that you have to wait to do some serious contemplation! JMO

Regards,

Gypsy

...it's your body, just make certain you are doing it for you and not to stick it to someone else! Just a thought.....

I hate it when I want something for my body based on a reaction to someone else, that I don't think I would want otherwise. For example, when I start wanting to be very thin. I know that being very thin disempowers me, but...I've been brainwashed into thinking a healthy weight is excess weight, and excess of anything is bad--in an undefinable evil way. The truth is that right now in this moment I truly want to be thin. but that "I" is not really the real me. I know this isn't clear :-0 But...I just thought I'd comment on a struggle I have in making my body into a reaction to someone else.

Definitely get you there JuniperBaby! It's so important to spend time with your core and know what you really need and want not what others are telling you to want!

Regards,

Gypsy

Dear CelticGypsy,

I have just read your advice as a reply on my status update, and it was that I should ask for my swab when am getting my tattoo! Indeed, I can feel that this swab will be a powerful tool in my hands to fulfil my aim, the aim I am getting at by having this tattoo; to reconnect with my intuitive self, my love of Tarot, of divination, of witches as strong women, and my intense fear of turning to a certain monotheistic religion again, a religion which kills my spirit, undermines me, which I am not happy in, but the spirits who are following it keep calling me and sometimes I fall for it, for a period of time. These djinn get hold of me and I am not myself any more. But then I wake up and become myself again, reject that faith and start living again. Now, in that religion, tattoos are forbidden, and having a tattoo depicting a human and an animal, in the context of what that religion sees as disbelief. I want to get that tattoo because I want to protect myself against those djinn/spirits. I always had a strong interest in the occult, since my childhood, when I found a dictionary of the occult in my library, when I lived in Africa, and my parents were called to the school as I would spend all break-times in the library. The book disappeared from the shelves. But I learned enough to know that this was somehow connected to me. Now I am calling upon my inner strength to do something that will forever place me outside that religion which goes against my instincts; the prayers of such a tattood person would be invalid and that person would go to hell. Well, I can't wait until the 10th of December, as it will be such a relief for me to have reached this point of no-return. Yes, the swabs will be important to me. Thanks for reminding me.

Kind regs,

Heks thankyou.gif

So, I was wondering if other (aspiring) witches have tattoos depicting a witch and what they think of this. Thank you.redface.gif

Hey, Heks. I couldn't resist posting in a tattoo thread. I just got my 12th and 13th tattoos at the same time a couple weeks ago. They're still healing, but they are turning out beautifully. I'll put some pictures at the bottom of the post.

I have my spirit animal (fox) tattooed on my ankle, a green-skinned fairy tattooed on the other, various pentacles and septagrams marking me as a believer in fey kind, three butterflies (I see them in visions a lot), and the two new ones: ivy leaves, one on each arm with runes inside. The one on my right arm is a green leaf, upright, with the rune for creativity/creation in the center. The one on my left is an orange leaf, upside-down, with the rune for destruction/protection in the center. I put thoughts of intent into these tattoos as they were being forged, and so far they seem to be manifesting the same forces that the runes represent. I saw someone else post about this, so I thought I'd mention it.

Anyway, the thing about getting any tattoo is that it hurts, and it takes weeks to heal. More than what you choose for a design, you should ask yourself if you have time and patience to take care of them. They effectively remain an open wound for up to three weeks. You can't sleep on them or get them dirty, and you have to keep them moist with A&D ointment and/or lotion (as peer your artist's directions) for that whole time to avoid losing color and quality.

The choice is up to you, but I thought I'd give you some insight on what you might be in for in the aftercare department. Obviously it's not that much of a hassle since I have 13 of them (and 30 piercings for that matter), but it is still something to think about.

post-1169-0-76392400-1320797814_thumb.jpg

-Kaya

Hey, Heks. I couldn't resist posting in a tattoo thread. I just got my 12th and 13th tattoos at the same time a couple weeks ago. They're still healing, but they are turning out beautifully. I'll put some pictures at the bottom of the post.

I have my spirit animal (fox) tattooed on my ankle, a green-skinned fairy tattooed on the other, various pentacles and septagrams marking me as a believer in fey kind, three butterflies (I see them in visions a lot), and the two new ones: ivy leaves, one on each arm with runes inside. The one on my right arm is a green leaf, upright, with the rune for creativity/creation in the center. The one on my left is an orange leaf, upside-down, with the rune for destruction/protection in the center. I put thoughts of intent into these tattoos as they were being forged, and so far they seem to be manifesting the same forces that the runes represent. I saw someone else post about this, so I thought I'd mention it.

Anyway, the thing about getting any tattoo is that it hurts, and it takes weeks to heal. More than what you choose for a design, you should ask yourself if you have time and patience to take care of them. They effectively remain an open wound for up to three weeks. You can't sleep on them or get them dirty, and you have to keep them moist with A&D ointment and/or lotion (as peer your artist's directions) for that whole time to avoid losing color and quality.

The choice is up to you, but I thought I'd give you some insight on what you might be in for in the aftercare department. Obviously it's not that much of a hassle since I have 13 of them (and 30 piercings for that matter), but it is still something to think about.

Dear Kaya,

Thanks for the explanations and your tattoos look fabulous! Well, most of my English friends have tattoos and I have seen them at various stages of healing! I am a very clean person and I am certain that I can dedicate time and effort in keeping my tattoo clean and healthy. The tattoo parlour where I have booked my tattoo is very clean and nice and I trust them to give me the necessary information before I leave! The pain is something I worry about, a bit, but I worry more about not having the tattoo done. I consider it a necessity for me at this stage, not an option any more. Whilst in pain, I will try to concentrate on what I am trying to achieve by having this tattoo, as this is the advice I have been given on this forum.

kind regs,

Heks flyaway.gif

post-1169-0-76392400-1320797814_thumb.jpg

-Kaya

Heks, I am sorry you are feeling such pressure to have this done :-( I think I understand a bit, but I think most, if not all, the churches I've been to, would not think it would prevent me from rejoining. They would just raise money to help me have it removed. They would be far more freaked out about my divorce than a witch tattoo. They fear anything that would cause the young people to "stray" far more than anything so "bad" that they could use to warn the young people of as a reason to stay in the protection of the church and it's rules.They would say, see, first it's colored stocking and taking off the head covering, and before you know it, you have strayed so far that you turn to witchcraft. But God is good and calls back his own and forgives.

Good luck, whatever you decide! :-)

Heks, I am sorry you are feeling such pressure to have this done :-( I think I understand a bit, but I think most, if not all, the churches I've been to, would not think it would prevent me from rejoining. They would just raise money to help me have it removed. They would be far more freaked out about my divorce than a witch tattoo. They fear anything that would cause the young people to "stray" far more than anything so "bad" that they could use to warn the young people of as a reason to stay in the protection of the church and it's rules.They would say, see, first it's colored stocking and taking off the head covering, and before you know it, you have strayed so far that you turn to witchcraft. But God is good and calls back his own and forgives.

Good luck, whatever you decide! :-)

Dear JuniperBaby,

You do have a point there. Let's say I do it for myself, as a reminder in my flesh, a mark, a symbol, that I should be true to myself. When my mother has a problem, I always find magical things for her to do to either get rid of nosey neighbours or similar things. Even when I was supposed to be muslim, I would send her magical ideas for her to try out! This shows that in fact, I have always believed in witchcraft, in magic and the power of one's mind, not in an almighty deity who will punish me for showing my hair by hanging me up from my hair in the hell fire! I am now free from religion now, free from fear. Magic is all about intuition and freedom but, also, I can learn a lot and open my mind through reading what has been posted and discussed on this forum, so I believe that this forum will help me to grow, as a believer in withcraft until maybe, one day, I can call myself a witch! xxx Thanks for wishing me luck, that is kind of you. I appreciate that.

Heks flyaway.gif

My Dad had his SSN removed about 10 years ago, very expensive!!

It's good that you have to wait a month, it gives you time to contemplate!!

Of course do what makes you happy, it's your body, just make certain you are doing it for you and not to stick it to someone else! Just a thought.....

Brigid's comments actually reflect my original concern . . that you might be getting the tattoo for the "wrong" reason. You have clarified your position, great.

Having a tattoo doesn't make someone a Witch. But, not having one doesn't make me any more or less of a Witch, than someone who does.

As I was responding to another thread, regarding why I wear a pentacle necklace, I was reminded of this thread and my response. There is a reason why I wear one, which I have (partially) explained, but to be honest my first reaction to the question was "I wear it, because I want to, and I don't give a flying fuck what anyone thinks of it". This response is not a reflection on the person asking the question, BTW, but rather an expression of my rebellious nature; a personality trait shared by many a Witch, apparently.

So, my Peers are right. Ancient symbolism and historical references aside, do what makes you happy. If you want to have a tattoo of a sexy Witch with big ol' boobies and a phat, bare-ass, riding a vacuum cleaner, put right across your chest, power to ya', Sweetie.

Brigid's comments actually reflect my original concern . . that you might be getting the tattoo for the "wrong" reason. You have clarified your position, great.

Having a tattoo doesn't make someone a Witch. But, not having one doesn't make me any more or less of a Witch, than someone who does.

As I was responding to another thread, regarding why I wear a pentacle necklace, I was reminded of this thread and my response. There is a reason why I wear one, which I have (partially) explained, but to be honest my first reaction to the question was "I wear it, because I want to, and I don't give a flying fuck what anyone thinks of it". This response is not a reflection on the person asking the question, BTW, but rather an expression of my rebellious nature; a personality trait shared by many a Witch, apparently.

So, my Peers are right. Ancient symbolism and historical references aside, do what makes you happy. If you want to have a tattoo of a sexy Witch with big ol' boobies and a phat, bare-ass, riding a vacuum cleaner, put right across your chest, power to ya', Sweetie.

Dear Jevne,

LOL really funny; I also have a rebellious nature and only do what I think is right; but my witch tattoo, lol, will not be sexy, lol! I shall upload a pic of what I want to have done, or someting similar! I am a childcare professional living in a small town, so parents and children will see my tattoo when I am on my days off esp. in the summer so it has to be decent! L O L !

But thanks for remembering me and my tattoo; it is kind of you to express concern. I have been carrying a small picture of my future tattoo in the back pocket of my jeans every day since I booked it. Tonight, at 11.30, I performed my first ritual, and it was very empowering; I feel totally in control of my destiny.

XXX Heks

PS what do you think of using fire as part of a ritual?

PS what do you think of using fire as part of a ritual?

I don't do ritual, per se. But, I fully support the use of fire. :cauldron: :blobfire: :spellcaster:

I don't do ritual, per se. But, I fully support the use of fire. :cauldron: :blobfire: :spellcaster:

Oh great, well I used a candle, a birch tree leaf from my favourite tree in the woods nearby and my menstrual blood, as it links me with the tree and its spirit, hopefully!

And I put a pic of the tattoo I like and submitted to the tatoo parlour in an album on my profile!

beerchug.gif

PS in the great tradition of the traditional witch, I just went with the flow and did what felt right for me: such freedom!

Hello!

I wish to thank the administrators for moving this topic to the General Discussions folder! I am very happy and proud to have initiated a discussion on this amazing forum!

I have now posted a picture of my prospective tattoo on my profile.

KInd regards,

Heks flyaway.gif

Hiya!

Thanks to everyone who replied to my original post! thankyou.gif

I had it done yesterday and I am so happy with it!happydance.gif

It makes me smile every time I look at it!cool_witch.gif

I asked the tatooist for the swabs but he said he couldn't give them to me! But there was blood on the strips of tape holding the clingfilm and I froze that! cauldron04.gif

Kind regs to all,

Heks witch_bounce.gif

post-1158-0-28199800-1323601751_thumb.jpg

For me the use of fire uplifts the energy. It enhances what I do. If a flame is not lit it's just not right for me.