• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#61 Ravenshaw

Ravenshaw

Life is good

• Moderators
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 03:25 PM

Michele, I love that charm! It's so earthy and happy :) I made a protective charm slightly similar to that one, but it did not turn out anywhere near as well as yours did/

RSKHFMY

#62 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 03:45 PM

Lol - I'm neither crafty nor artistic so most of what I do has to be simple, simple, simple. I have ones in red, too, made on a different day at a different time, and they are to trap anything negative wanting to use an entrance. They don't trap everything (depending on how you define "negative") - they are more for specific "sentinent" things that might wander by and decide this looks like a fun place to stop. I have the same red ones hanging on all walkways up to my house and also in some places around the yard. The over-all "non sentienent" energy/feeling of a time of year still gets in, but that's life, lol. I have a witch bottle for anything specifically sent against me, personally, but honestly it's more of a precaution than anything because I really don't think anyone with the know-how would bother to specifically do something. And my yard, which I interact with, and it has a vested interest in me being safe (so I don't leave and some moron with a lawnmower and machette moves in), so it would watch out for me, too. But more because it serves the yard as much as it would be helpful to me, lol. None of these things are catch-alls, so life still happens as dictated by my choices (stupid or smart ones, lol) but they are more basic protections since I do practice magic so the otherworld would be aware of that.

M

#63 Roanna

Roanna

She of the spiders and degus...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 06:19 PM

I'm going to try and upload a pic so you can see what I was talking about, lol. The "wood" was just a cheapie 50 cent grapevine wreath from the craft shop. And technically (to me) that is a big compromise as grapevine doesn't have any meaning to me  (other than I really do like wine, lol). There are other woods that would have been better suited. I did have a wand of the type of wood that was better suited (I do use wands, I know not everyone does), and I used that for adding the aspect of that specific wood although I feel it would have been better to use that actual wood for the wreath part itself, but it doesn't grow here. Anyway, it is a hope charm, and was made at sunrise on Candlemass, which to me is a holiday of hope returning to the land. So as the sun came up I was on the backsteps with my crochet hook and yellow (sun) yarn and the strings were crocheted and wound, then the charms left in a bowl to soak up the Candlemass morning sun, capturing and storing some of that feeling of renewed hope in the crochet knots. One hangs in every window and door (all entrances) to my house. They will be taken down next year and replaced with new ones. It's a really simple-looking thing, and to neighbors and visitors just looks like some sort of sun-catcher. But then I'm a simple person, lol lol lol...

Beautiful and some ideas that I can see myself taking on board. You describe yourself as simple Michele but I'd describe you more as not being bogged down with artifice and unnecessary   complication. You get to the heart of the matter without needing to go round the long winded routes that so many witches (and I'm very much including myself in that - lol) have to trog through first.

Do what you believe to be the right thing and trust yourself.

Witchpathforward My website incorporating "Ask a Witch a Question," my blog and websites of witchy interest.

#64 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 07:32 PM

Believe me, I spend a lot of time going 'round in circles... till it hits me this isn't working for me. Sometimes it's frustrating, but often it's just me not listening to myself, or me listening too hard and trying to see something where there's nothing, lol... 

M

#65 Wexler

Wexler

Something wrong? Blame retrograde

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 04:49 PM

I didn't read the entire thread to see if it was already mentioned, but I recently learned an important lesson regarding knot magic. My understanding is,

Always use one single piece of material (yarn, twine, rope, what have you).

Using myself as an example, a few months ago I did some knot magic. The piece of material I had was too short, so I tied another piece on the end to add length. When I was done I considered that I had made a seven-knot charm, but ultimately there were eight knots and one of them retained its magical potential while being unprogrammed. Something nasty (to be honest, I still don't entirely understand what) used the 'empty' knot as a foothold to come in to my life and fuck with me for a while. So I suppose if it is necessary to use more than one piece of material, I would ensure that the extra knot created is not left empty. Although I do not think that a knot between two pieces will have the exact same effect as the knot within one piece.

And, it is my current belief that just because a physical knot is untied it does not necessarily mean that the magic is undone with it. I think it is possible to tie an energetic knot that is not unraveled when the physical one is undone.

'Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.'

'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.'

[avatar source]

#66 Aurelian

Aurelian

The Devils Enabler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,562 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 06:43 AM

The last knot is to tie the two ends together, you do not need to add more material and do...whatever you did.  You just knot the two ends together for the last one.  End of story.

"The truth about the world, he said, is that anything is possible. Had you not seen it from birth and thereby bled it of its strangeness it would appear to you for what it is, a hat trick in a medicine show, a fevered dream, a trance bepopulate with chimeras having neither analogue nor precedent, an itinerant carnival, a migratory tentshow whose ultimate destination after many a pitch in many a mudded field is unspeakable and calamitous beyond reckoning." - Cormac McCarthy

#67 Wexler

Wexler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 09:59 PM

The last knot is to tie the two ends together, you do not need to add more material and do...whatever you did.  You just knot the two ends together for the last one.  End of story.

Well, I know that NOW :tongue:

[avatar source]

#68 Wexler

Wexler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 01:30 PM

I believe this thread was mentioned in the Shoutbox :)

[avatar source]