67 replies to this topic

#41 CelticGypsy

CelticGypsy

Crazy NastyAss Honey Badger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,105 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 11:34 PM

A couple of months ago, I was drawn to one of my old geodes, it has a peculiar shape to it, it looks like the heart organ, with the ventricles. Strange I know, but I've had this

stone for ages, upon really really looking at it, I found to my surprise that it is a hagstone,  it takes up my entire palm. I did some knot magic with it, it hangs in one of my thresholds.

Regards,

Gypsy

" The last thing you wanted a Witch to do is get bored and start making her own amusements, because Witches sometimes have erratically famous ideas about what was amusing "

Terry Pratchett Legends 1 

#42 foxman

foxman

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 11:49 PM

How many people on here use the Witches Cradle we used to play with when we were kids? There are at least ten ways of using it that I know about, but I've been told that there's a hell of a lot more different ways of using it that puts the American Indian Dream-Catcher to shame! foxman.

#43 foxman

foxman

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 12:05 AM

In Northumberland (where I live) the ladies up here make proggy matts, using strips of old clothes to form a rug tightly bound together. Iused to make knots as a Scout and have done all kings of knot from the Fisherman's knot to the elaborate Turks-Cap found on the mast of a sailing ship! My other half got interested in Celtic Knotwork and started making mats, doilies and wall-hangings - these take a good twelve months to make of traditional Celtic Knotwork of various colours. Some of these have been used on our altar and some are hung on the wall for decoration. I used to pain knotwork as part of my trade as a decorator - usually when some Inn-keeper wanted either a new Pub-sign  to replace the old one or someone starting out as a pub owner and wanting an apt pub-sign that married the old traditions of Rope-tying (Reaving Yards) and old ships of bygone days such as the old Tea-Clippers. In a way, I'm a bit sorry I don't do this now - but at seventy-two it gets a bit hairy if I climb onto a thirty-foot ladder these days! I guess I'll eventually get around to selling my extension Ladders since I won't go on them again. foxman.

#44 RoseRed

RoseRed

. . . Not a big believer in . . . cowinkydink ;)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 02:57 AM

How many people on here use the Witches Cradle we used to play with when we were kids? There are at least ten ways of using it that I know about, but I've been told that there's a hell of a lot more different ways of using it that puts the American Indian Dream-Catcher to shame! foxman.

I have a Native American friend that was taught by an elder how to make authentic dreamcatchers.  I don't know what it is that you're trying to say here. 

When my wings get tired I grab my broom.

#45 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 03:04 AM

I have a Native American friend that was taught by an elder how to make authentic dreamcatchers.  I don't know what it is that you're trying to say here. 

I agree, RoseRed.  Perhaps, foxman was not intending to be offensive.  I do not think it is necessary, though, to degrade someone else's spiritual path and its symbolism in the process of making a simple comparison. :(

#46 anjeaunot

anjeaunot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 431 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 11:20 AM

I don't believe foxman meant to be offensive. IMO he is just over-enthusiastic when extolling the advantages of his tradition.

His well-intentioned efforts to enlighten one and all may prove counter productive as it could raise some hackles on this forum.

#47 LdyShalott

LdyShalott

NecRomancer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 01:05 AM

I don't believe foxman meant to be offensive. IMO he is just over-enthusiastic when extolling the advantages of his tradition.

His well-intentioned efforts to enlighten one and all may prove counter productive as it could raise some hackles on this forum.

Have to agree here, dont think the intention was to disparage another path and tradition... but more of a case of a common phrase used to emphasize a point and make ones case.. I have been guilty of ill thought phrasing myself...

Edited by LdyShalott, 31 January 2014 - 01:06 AM.

Most witches don’t believe in gods. They know that the gods exist, of course. They even deal with them occasionally. But they don’t believe in them. They know them too well. It would be like believing in the postman.  T.P.

In order to understand the living.. you have to commune with the dead..
You are a tiny little soul carrying around a corpse.-- Epictetus
All experience is an arch wherethrough gleams that untravelled world whose margin fades for ever and for ever when I move.

#48 RoseRed

RoseRed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 01:52 AM

Me, too.  That's why I asked for clarification even though it was a statement and not actually a question. 

#49 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 02:03 AM

Well, I meant what I said . . . and only a sincere response from the individual in question will change my mind. 

That said, I know a woman, who offers to tie her husband's tie each morning.  As she is doing it, she says a little spell to keep him faithful, as he works in an office full of young, beautiful women.  I am not judging her decision to do so, but I thought it was an interesting application of knot magic.

#50 Apryl

Apryl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 02:28 AM

I'd murmur a small protection while tying my kids' shoes in the morning before I sent them to school, when they were little. But then, I do similar things when I cook dinner, knit or crochet things for my family, fold clothes. It's a daily thing. I know there are many other threads dedicated to those specific practices, so I'll leave it at that.

I like using knot magic, though I'm not super good at fancy-schmancy knots, the simple ones I do know, seem to work well enough for my purposes. I like to incorporate items into knots on occasion as well. These are usually for some sort of protection but not always. 

Edited by Apryl, 31 January 2014 - 02:29 AM.

#51 aurora

aurora

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 02:25 PM

Here we go .....Bump

#52 Ravenshaw

Ravenshaw

Life is good

• Moderators
  • 1,148 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 06:49 PM

This isn't really "knot" but it draws on a similar idea, I think.... I do workings while I crochet. Sometimes I will crochet just a square or even as much as a detailed poppet, concentrating intent into each bit, then when I'm done I slowly unravel it, releasing whatever is inside. It works well to "unravel" someone.

RSKHFMY

#53 RoseRed

RoseRed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 01:26 PM

OOOHHHH!!!  Another crocheter!

Yeah, I do that, too.  You could also burn it to release it.

Most of what I do with crochet are long term workings.  Whether it's spells or feelings or just magical stuff. When my daughter was little she was VERY sick.  I crocheted her an afghan in 3 days.  I put all of my love, protection, healing, mothering - all of it into those stitches.  She got better (I'm not saying the afghan did it).  She still loves it.  She has it put away and only pulls it out when she needs that level of MamaLove.  I asked her why she didn't use it (other than it's made in Scooby Doo colors) and she told me because it's special and she won't have it getting ruined just laying around for every day use.

#54 Ravenshaw

Ravenshaw

Life is good

• Moderators
  • 1,148 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 03:29 PM

RR- that's very cool :) Glad your daughter got better as well! I do a lot of protective stuff with my crocheting as well, crafts for family. I want to learn to knit as well, I love applying myself in this way. It's meditative and active and if you're making crafts for others, they tend to hold on to it.

RSKHFMY

#55 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 03:50 PM

This isn't really "knot" but it draws on a similar idea, I think.... I do workings while I crochet. Sometimes I will crochet just a square or even as much as a detailed poppet, concentrating intent into each bit, then when I'm done I slowly unravel it, releasing whatever is inside. It works well to "unravel" someone.

When I make charms for my windows (they're usually string-wound-around-wood-circles-charms) I sit on the back steps first and do a long single line of "chain" crochets so the thread I tie around the wood then is really a long thread of "knots".  So depending on the nature of the charm I sit on the back steps (which for me is a rather other-worldly place) at the specific time of day and make the crochet-strings to make the charms.

M

#56 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 03:56 PM

Well, I meant what I said . . . and only a sincere response from the individual in question will change my mind. 

That said, I know a woman, who offers to tie her husband's tie each morning.  As she is doing it, she says a little spell to keep him faithful, as he works in an office full of young, beautiful women.  I am not judging her decision to do so, but I thought it was an interesting application of knot magic.

Lol - a noose around his neck to remind him to keep his you-know-what in his pants? Rather poetic, I think, lol lol lol.

And un-poetically .... if you control the neck you control the spine. Control the spine and you control the energy. Control the energy from the head to the body and you control the thoughts and knowledge and the communication.... well, it kinda makes sense, lol.... dog collars, slave collars, they're usually all around the neck, disrupting the flow (or necklaces adding to the flow????)....

M

#57 Ravenshaw

Ravenshaw

Life is good

• Moderators
  • 1,148 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 04:19 PM

When I make charms for my windows (they're usually string-wound-around-wood-circles-charms) I sit on the back steps first and do a long single line of "chain" crochets so the thread I tie around the wood then is really a long thread of "knots".  So depending on the nature of the charm I sit on the back steps (which for me is a rather other-worldly place) at the specific time of day and make the crochet-strings to make the charms.

M

That's a cool idea! I first had the image of it tied around a beam or something, having misunderstood the wooden charms. I like this!

RSKHFMY

#58 Ravenshaw

Ravenshaw

Life is good

• Moderators
  • 1,148 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 04:21 PM

Lol - a noose around his neck to remind him to keep his you-know-what in his pants? Rather poetic, I think, lol lol lol.

And un-poetically .... if you control the neck you control the spine. Control the spine and you control the energy. Control the energy from the head to the body and you control the thoughts and knowledge and the communication.... well, it kinda makes sense, lol.... dog collars, slave collars, they're usually all around the neck, disrupting the flow (or necklaces adding to the flow????)....

M

The tie idea is a good idea, I think. And good point about controlling the spine and collars. I may have to apply this...

RSKHFMY

#59 Wexler

Wexler

Something wrong? Blame retrograde

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 11:46 PM

I just remembered this post and came to say you could crochet a little person and literally unwind them, but it seems that you beat me to it!

I should learn to crochet...

'Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.'

'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.'

[avatar source]

#60 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 03:05 PM

That's a cool idea! I first had the image of it tied around a beam or something, having misunderstood the wooden charms. I like this!

I'm going to try and upload a pic so you can see what I was talking about, lol. The "wood" was just a cheapie 50 cent grapevine wreath from the craft shop. And technically (to me) that is a big compromise as grapevine doesn't have any meaning to me  (other than I really do like wine, lol). There are other woods that would have been better suited. I did have a wand of the type of wood that was better suited (I do use wands, I know not everyone does), and I used that for adding the aspect of that specific wood although I feel it would have been better to use that actual wood for the wreath part itself, but it doesn't grow here. Anyway, it is a hope charm, and was made at sunrise on Candlemass, which to me is a holiday of hope returning to the land. So as the sun came up I was on the backsteps with my crochet hook and yellow (sun) yarn and the strings were crocheted and wound, then the charms left in a bowl to soak up the Candlemass morning sun, capturing and storing some of that feeling of renewed hope in the crochet knots. One hangs in every window and door (all entrances) to my house. They will be taken down next year and replaced with new ones. It's a really simple-looking thing, and to neighbors and visitors just looks like some sort of sun-catcher. But then I'm a simple person, lol lol lol...

Attached Files

• Attached File  Hope.jpg   75.69KB   0 downloads

Edited by Michele, 06 April 2014 - 03:11 PM.