67 replies to this topic

#21 Marabet

Marabet

Miss Clavel's Shadow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 10:16 PM

Candle allergy? What are you allergic to in candles?
I ran to a tower where the church bells chime
I hoped that they would clear my mind
They left a ringing in my ear
But that drum's still beating loud and clear

{Florence + The Machine 'Drumming Song'}

#22 JuniperBaby

JuniperBaby

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 11:20 PM

Candle allergy? What are you allergic to in candles?

Petroleum based wax :-( Beeswax are fine. I need to try soy, but I haven't found a good local source for them yet.

Aliis volat propriis.
She flies with her own wings.

#23 Honeythorn

Honeythorn

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 11:52 PM

Here's a nice simple video on how to do a single strand ringbolt

#24 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 12:00 AM

Honeythorn,

Super nice. Thank you for providing the video.

Jevne

#25 JuniperBaby

JuniperBaby

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 01:36 PM

Honeythorn thank you so much for the link! :-)

This morning I was thinking about tying knots in my shoelaces.

Aliis volat propriis.
She flies with her own wings.

#26 Aloe

Aloe

ridge running Ozark banshee..

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,420 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 01:53 PM

I was exploring a Battleship awhile back and there was a display of the knots used for different purposes on the ship. At the time I was looking at them and thinking how much they remind me of some of the knots I've seen used in occult/pagan artwork. I took pictures so I could work at learning to make them. The pictures didn't come out so great as the knots were in a glass case on a lower level of the ship and there was no way to reduce the glare, but I'll attach them anyway.

Attached Files

"The people who live in the Ozark country of Missouri and Arkansas were, until very recently, the most deliberately unprogressive people in the United States. Descended from pioneers who came West from the Southern Appalachians at the beginning of the nineteenth century, they made little contact with the outer world for more than a hundred years. They seem like foreigners to the average urban American, but nearly all of them come of British stock, and many families have lived in America since colonial days. Their material heirlooms are few, but like all isolated illiterates they have clung to the old songs and obsolete sayings and outworn customs of their ancestors." Ozark Magic and Folklore

#27 Roanna

Roanna

She of the spiders and degus...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 09:56 AM

I've got into the habit of using knot tying to store different moods for use in spell work. I tie knots in threads when I feel particularly angry or emotional and seal them up to release the energies when I need them. I'm finding it very useful to have a databank of my own emotions to call on.
Do what you believe to be the right thing and trust yourself.

Witchpathforward My website incorporating "Ask a Witch a Question," my blog and websites of witchy interest.

#28 Athena

Athena

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 12:14 AM

I live dream catchers you can put in so much magic while making them , I think of it as weaving magic that when placed on the wall can work as protection, charms, even spirit channels . Another lesser known traditional NA craft that uses knots is the flax bow it weaves willow branches at the top then fibers knotted below with beads representing family so you can really get personal. It's traditionally used to create harmony in the house hold.

A lesser known practice with dream catchers is giving them to an enemy ( you have to be creative) and have it spelled to catch there bad intentions toward you.
Flax bow
Posted Image

Edited by Athena, 02 June 2013 - 12:16 AM.

#29 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 12:18 AM

A lesser known practice with dream catchers is giving them to an enemy ( you have to be creative) and have it spelled to catch there bad intentions toward you.

A friend of my grandmother once told me not to accept a dream catcher as a present from anyone. With what you have said, she may have had good reason to make that comment.

#30 Athena

Athena

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 12:38 AM

A friend of my grandmother once told me not to accept a dream catcher as a present from anyone. With what you have said, she may have had good reason to make that comment.

Yes she did, Its very easy even unintentionally to weave in something you wouldn't want in your sleep state. If you know what your doing it can obviously be very dangerous, because there are so many knots and its woven they are very hard to cleanse

#31 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 01:37 AM

I live dream catchers you can put in so much magic while making them , I think of it as weaving magic that when placed on the wall can work as protection, charms, even spirit channels . Another lesser known traditional NA craft that uses knots is the flax bow it weaves willow branches at the top then fibers knotted below with beads representing family so you can really get personal. It's traditionally used to create harmony in the house hold.

Flax bow
Posted Image

That is interesting - the first thing I thought of when I saw it was a uterus.

M

#32 Athena

Athena

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 02:35 AM

That is interesting - the first thing I thought of when I saw it was a uterus.

M

Lmao

That doesn't surprise me though a lot of NA is about circles and the womb there's tons of great stories about why its so important. Maybe I should start a thread about the magic of the circle? Not a casting circle!

#33 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 02:50 AM

Lmao

That doesn't surprise me though a lot of NA is about circles and the womb there's tons of great stories about why its so important. Maybe I should start a thread about the magic of the circle? Not a casting circle!

Don't let the title fool you. This one starts, but doesn't necessarily finish that conversation.

http://www.tradition..._"magic circle"

#34 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 11:45 AM

Lmao

Actually - where you say "the beads below represent family" (paraphrased) Women and the feminine are often the heartbeat of a family, of the hearth, so to have something that looks uterine as representative of that (especially the "beads" looking like the "birth canal") makes a ton of sense for a hearth working.

Funny but unrelated - when I was little I asked mum where babies came from and she that they were delivered from the woman via the birth canal of the woman, so for ages I thought there was some canal somewhere with little gondala-type boats on it that people hired like taxi cabs to deliver babies to people, lol.

M

#35 MasterPoucksBestMan

MasterPoucksBestMan

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 12:46 PM

I love all cord magics. I learned to crochet and use a lucet because I love cord magic so much. I've made items for friends and family specifically with qualities I thought they might need or that they've asked for, such as a scarf that assisted in communication, to help a certain person speak their mind more easily. I am never without a bit of cord in my pocket or wallet or sachel (sp?) for on the fly workings, ever. Super portable and versatile. Love, love, love cord workings.
The Wild Hunt take them all, and Herne have their guts for his bow string...

#36 MasterPoucksBestMan

MasterPoucksBestMan

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 12:48 PM

I also play a bit of classical guitar, and to me, touching those strings is also a bit of cord magic in a way. My hands are like spiders and the strings are their web, but instead of spinning a web, they spin a creation of a different sort.
The Wild Hunt take them all, and Herne have their guts for his bow string...

#37 Apryl

Apryl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 09:18 PM

Flax bow
Posted Image

I have come back to look at this piece several times now. I really like it. My thoughts were along the lines of Michele's when looking at this as it does look like a uterus to me along with the bead/birth canal analogy. Looking at this reminds me of a protection of family and hearth. It looks like a project I'm working on and now I think I see where I may have been subconsciously going with it along with what more I'd like to incorporate into mine and now why. In short, it's given me inspiration. Thank you.

#38 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 01:02 PM

I was thinking more about knot magic. Which is also a type of "weaving" in its own way. Someone once said to me that when one uses knots and tying, especially in some specific cords with specific associations, one can without realizing it tie themselves into it... claim an attachment they might not have realized they are claiming. I carry a cord with me always of a specific colour and holding specific woods, and I have come to realize that in just carrying it, I am claiming to have an alligence, and to be "tied" to the thing the cord represents. And some things recognize that alligence and respond to it. And that puts me in the position of upholding that alligence... that "claimed" bond.... even if I didn't realize I was claiming it at the time. That the other-world isn't a "loving universal energy" that forgives ignorant mistakes and encourages us to grow. That it will expect one to uphold what they say, even if they didn't realize they were saying it. And that a gun which is shot in ignorance of how to use it can still kill. And if you get drunk in Vegas and go visit the wedding chappel, you're still legally married once you sober up. Serious stuff. And responsible stuff, or at least stuff one is responsible for, whether or not they understood what they were doing.

M

#39 Sage12

Sage12

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 05:01 AM

Due to the Australian country wide cord shortage of 2013 :wink: I have been forced to get a little inventive with making my own cord and I thought I would share. I looked at this video and then made my own. The cord on the video was a little thick for what I wanted it for so I used embroidery thread and used 3 strands of different greens without doubling it over. She also used a pencil which seemed cumbersome I used a coat hanger and just spun it from the clothes line. The pink one is thicker I used 3 strands but doubled it over so there were 6 twisted.

I think that making your own cord is a good way of getting a little extra juice in there. I also thought that you could make your own with some pre-loaded intent in case of emergency.

Here is a picture of my first attempts.

IMAG0151[1]

Attached Files

Edited by Sage12, 13 August 2013 - 05:43 AM.

#40 Autumn Moon

Autumn Moon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 03:05 PM

Thanks for the video. Sorry, I didn't get the cord/Australia thing.

I saw a video on how to make strong cord from nettle, and another from hemp. Lot of work though.