• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#1 JuniperBaby

JuniperBaby

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 10:15 PM

I'm having a hard time finding information on knot magic. Does anyone use knot magic here? I'm very attracted to using mundane items. Despite knowing so little about this topic, I think this is going to become a large part of my craft. I feel like there is so much potential for this tool, but don't know how to use it. But honestly...I haven't dived in and experimented with it. maybe I need to just let the threads teach me themselves?
Aliis volat propriis.
She flies with her own wings.

#2 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 10:34 PM

Knot Magic

Blood, Knots and Cords

The search button is your friend.

#3 sarasuperid

sarasuperid

Wild Witch of the West

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,429 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 10:48 PM

Love those links, but one is more about blood and the other is about what to with the cord when you are done, not the straight up basics.

So one can make a spell and tie it into a cord for later use, this comes from a folkloric tradition of seamen (okay I was just reading the bodily fluids convo) tying winds into a knot for use later. Don't tie it too tight and keep your finger nails long so you can untie easily.

Any sort of spell you want really. The classics are the hagstone cord for astral dreaming, the wind cord, and the witch's ladder.

"A Craft, a calling, a set of Keys to unlock a particular cosmology that is borne, and born, in the blood of the practitioner, and sets the Work to be done with which one may commune with those who hold the patterns and keys of the life of the practitioner and hir stream. The Work is to be done, and we are to do it." --Aiseling the Bard

#4 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 11:12 PM

Any sort of spell you want really. The classics are the hagstone cord for astral dreaming, the wind cord, and the witch's ladder.

Yeah, I saw the Witch's Ladder thread, too, but just wanted to get the search started; mostly because I didn't want to dictate the direction too much.

I did notice, however, that a lot of discussions about knot magic focus on what is being incorporated into the knot, be that intent or some ingredient (blood, salt, or herbs).

I also found the Knit Magic thread interesting.

#5 JuniperBaby

JuniperBaby

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 11:16 PM

Thank you for the links and keywords. I think maybe the search didn't work before I was registered, and I forgot that I now have access to what I did not. I'm off to do some research :-)

Edited by JuniperBaby, 05 November 2011 - 11:17 PM.

Aliis volat propriis.

#6 JuniperBaby

JuniperBaby

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 01:28 PM

I'm still researching, but this thread on dreamcatchers is particularly interesting and showing me how right I am that simple threads are just a vast potential. Back to my research :-)
Aliis volat propriis.

#7 Absinthe

Absinthe

Inquisitor's Bane

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 05:00 PM

I have the urge to knit now and then, and often find myself going into a sort of daydreaming trance and, without deliberate intention, cast a purpose within the stitches. The finished garments or knitted items seem to hold spellwork well, even though I haven't started out with that in mind. (And, by the way, JuniperBaby, welcome to the group.)

Nosce te ipsum, et sapere aude

#8 Phoenix

Phoenix

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 05:06 PM

I know you are probably looking for references to uses in witchcraft, but this link linkis for a tutorial to make a heart knot. A friend and I watched a few of these tutorials and tried making them with bailing twine. I think knots like this could be used in witchraft.

#9 Marabet

Marabet

Miss Clavel's Shadow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 06:07 PM

Love those links, but one is more about blood and the other is about what to with the cord when you are done, not the straight up basics.

So one can make a spell and tie it into a cord for later use, this comes from a folkloric tradition of seamen (okay I was just reading the bodily fluids convo) tying winds into a knot for use later. Don't tie it too tight and keep your finger nails long so you can untie easily.

Interesting. And thanks for the links, J. I am loving this subject now!

I ran to a tower where the church bells chime
I hoped that they would clear my mind
They left a ringing in my ear
But that drum's still beating loud and clear

{Florence + The Machine 'Drumming Song'}

#10 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 08:32 PM

I know you are probably looking for references to uses in witchcraft, but this link linkis for a tutorial to make a heart knot. A friend and I watched a few of these tutorials and tried making them with bailing twine. I think knots like this could be used in witchraft.

P - there was one on there that was called a "single strand ringbolt" (if I am remembering the name correctly). I loved that - it looks like human vertabre with ribs, and is a single strand so one doesn't have to leave "weakspots" and it would be perfect for binding a poppet - especially using it as the back bone, to bind something, isolate it, contain it, (Isa/backbone/spine) and then to unravel it (the backbone) and leave them "spineless" (not as in crippled but with no assertion or confidence). I mean, assuming one was the type to do that, lol.

M

#11 JuniperBaby

JuniperBaby

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 09:02 PM

Maggie, I too am loving this subject.

Michelle, I'll have to look for that knot. Could I use the knot to give myself a spine, when I'm acting all trauma victimy?

Phoenix, thank you so much for that link.

The man doing the videos has a book. His book and all the suggestions for similar books listed at Amazon look great. I'm learning that all the best things I need to learn to use in my spells are mundane things used in mundane life as well. Lately what I'm studying is regular botany, astronomy, oceanography, etc type books.

Along with the knot books at Amazon, were some interesting looking sailor knives! :-)

Aliis volat propriis.

#12 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 09:06 PM

Maggie, I too am loving this subject.

Michelle, I'll have to look for that knot. Could I use the knot to give myself a spine, when I'm acting all trauma victimy?

Lol - this is a biased answer becuase I just got some blackthorn, but I'd use the wood rather than a poppet spell on myself. I think a spell would be not be the same as working with and changing my own energy. 

M

Edited by Michele, 13 August 2013 - 11:27 AM.

#13 JuniperBaby

JuniperBaby

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 10:34 PM

I love Runes, but there is so much overlap between the use of the runes and playing card divination, I felt like I needed to choose just one or the other for now and chose the cards.

I have studied runes and do love them, but have not had time to devote to them enough that I feel comfortable using them in spells. They seem...unforgiving in their effects, and not to be toyed with.

Aliis volat propriis.

#14 sarasuperid

sarasuperid

Wild Witch of the West

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,429 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 12:26 AM

I love the idea of making a spine for yourself to have with you when you need it. Make the spine knots when you are feeling really strong and tie the power you feel right into the knots, then when you need a boost later untie one of the knots and unleash the power, straighten your spine and don't back down! The right words stated as you untie the spell could add some extra punch too, certain words or motions we use when in certain states of mind can be summoned again when that state of conciouness us needed. One of the many definitions of magic is "the art of changing conciousness at will". Like M said, I wouldn't see the need to make a poppet of yourself in this particular situation, because the string would be easier to keep with you for when you need it. But for a more long term spell to permanently toughen up (if that is what you wanted) a poppet of your fetch with the right components hidden at home might be just the thing.
"A Craft, a calling, a set of Keys to unlock a particular cosmology that is borne, and born, in the blood of the practitioner, and sets the Work to be done with which one may commune with those who hold the patterns and keys of the life of the practitioner and hir stream. The Work is to be done, and we are to do it." --Aiseling the Bard

#15 JuniperBaby

JuniperBaby

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 01:00 AM

I love the idea of making a spine for yourself to have with you when you need it. Make the spine knots when you are feeling really strong and tie the power you feel right into the knots, then when you need a boost later untie one of the knots and unleash the power, straighten your spine and don't back down! The right words stated as you untie the spell could add some extra punch too, certain words or motions we use when in certain states of mind can be summoned again when that state of conciouness us needed. One of the many definitions of magic is "the art of changing conciousness at will". Like M said, I wouldn't see the need to make a poppet of yourself in this particular situation, because the string would be easier to keep with you for when you need it. But for a more long term spell to permanently toughen up (if that is what you wanted) a poppet of your fetch with the right components hidden at home might be just the thing.

Thank you. This is very helpful. I'm just starting to understand this tying and untying thing, compared to just tying knots and saving the thread, burning it, or throwing it in the river. And I haven't read much about poppets as I mostly saw them only used to cast negative energy at someone else, and I'm not ready for that, at least yet.

Aliis volat propriis.

#16 lusa

lusa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 04:46 AM

On runes - responding to JB's comment - I think runes can be unpredictable if one is not entirely sure of their meaning, or not clear with the intent. At least this is what I've found. I've also found that there are some runes I have more of a connection to than others. There are some runes I've used without being clear to myself - or maybe without the care I should have used - and the results have been 'intense' to say the least. However there are others that are like constellations or old familiar friends that I feel I almost can depend on to glean my intent. On knots - this is something I've done in the heat of things only. Never premeditated. I find that every time I use one, it's the last thing I considered and often the most intricate part of the spell. It's interesting to read what others have done. Many times I've used hair as a material, other times I used string from clothing. I have never used a poppet. They don't appeal to me, as much as I'd like them to. But the idea of the spine is great.
"We sailed through endless skies. Stars shine like eyes. The black night sighs."

#17 wolf

wolf

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 04:45 PM

If you do a search on T'internet for the nine knot spell you will get a few differing ideas/uses that all boil down to using the knots to seal your intent into the cord and knotted cords can be used for any manner of working be it meditation/trance work, binding, beneficial, warding, protection etc.

As way of an example I would work in groups of 3 ie 3,6 or 9 knots sometimes just tying the knot into a cord to hold my intent or tying something into the knot as well as my intent ie I could knot thorns into my cord as I make a charm and hang it at home for protection. Once you understand the basics of speaking your intent, directing it then sealing it using a knot then only your imagination will limit the uses knots,

Wolf.

#18 Brigid

Brigid

Beyond The Bullshit...........yeah, even yours.......

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,283 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 05:27 PM

If you do a search on T'internet for the nine knot spell you will get a few differing ideas/uses that all boil down to using the knots to seal your intent into the cord and knotted cords can be used for any manner of working be it meditation/trance work, binding, beneficial, warding, protection etc.

As way of an example I would work in groups of 3 ie 3,6 or 9 knots sometimes just tying the knot into a cord to hold my intent or tying something into the knot as well as my intent ie I could knot thorns into my cord as I make a charm and hang it at home for protection. Once you understand the basics of speaking your intent, directing it then sealing it using a knot then only your imagination will limit the uses knots,

Wolf.

Posted Image Well said!!

Ritualistic behaviour, though well-intentioned, possesses no significance or effectiveness unless its external prescription is matched by a personal, internal motivation of will and desire.

#19 CelticGypsy

CelticGypsy

Crazy NastyAss Honey Badger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,105 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 08:39 PM

Wolf.

Well done, if I may add to this just from my experiance, a chord does not necessarilly have to be of a certain material, IE: cotton, hemp fiber, or twine, yarn..... ect. Being of the feminine species, in many of my promptings regarding strips of roping, one could always use a ribbon in one's hair and wear that to physically charge the material before the working. :happy:

Regards,
Gypsy

" The last thing you wanted a Witch to do is get bored and start making her own amusements, because Witches sometimes have erratically famous ideas about what was amusing "

Terry Pratchett Legends 1 

#20 JuniperBaby

JuniperBaby

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 10:03 PM

In the past I've used embroidery floss to make friendship bracelets. I was thinking of using that. With my candle allergy, I'm wanting to experiment with colored threads instead of colored candles. I am excited to learn as much as I can about knot work and I do see it's almost unlimited potential. Thank you for the Google keywords :-) Hair and clothing string sound interesting.

Edited by JuniperBaby, 07 November 2011 - 10:05 PM.

Aliis volat propriis.