Photo
- - - - -

Witches in Philippines: LA Times article

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 Oakbuchanan

Oakbuchanan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 08:47 AM

http://articles.lati...itches-20111031

#2 Whiterose

Whiterose

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,747 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 10:47 AM

Interesting article. Thanks! I find it interesting the steep differences in fees between the healers and so called "black witches". Also, the heavy use of catholicism in their craft. Seems to have much in common with kindoki.

#3 Aloe

Aloe

ridge running Ozark banshee..

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,420 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 01:41 PM

Interesting, thanks for sharing!

One of my good friends is from Manila and her Grandmother is a 'healer'. My friend told me once of the things her Grandmother did to her Mother when her Mother was bedridden after having her youngest child. As my friend described her Grandma's actions, I immediately said "Oh, she's a witch?" to which my friend replied "Absolutely not, she's just a healer." lol

"The people who live in the Ozark country of Missouri and Arkansas were, until very recently, the most deliberately unprogressive people in the United States. Descended from pioneers who came West from the Southern Appalachians at the beginning of the nineteenth century, they made little contact with the outer world for more than a hundred years. They seem like foreigners to the average urban American, but nearly all of them come of British stock, and many families have lived in America since colonial days. Their material heirlooms are few, but like all isolated illiterates they have clung to the old songs and obsolete sayings and outworn customs of their ancestors." Ozark Magic and Folklore

#4 Anara

Anara

aspire beyond fear of death (Bhairavi)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,168 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 02:28 PM

Good article, thanks for sharing it! :)

~Anara

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you will always long to return." ~ Leonardo Da Vinci

#5 sarasuperid

sarasuperid

Wild Witch of the West

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,429 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 04:43 PM

It is inspiring to read about witches in which it is their profession, people come to them and respect them. That happens on a smaller scale for me, but only among friends and relatives. In these towns the community relies on the witches to help them.
"A Craft, a calling, a set of Keys to unlock a particular cosmology that is borne, and born, in the blood of the practitioner, and sets the Work to be done with which one may commune with those who hold the patterns and keys of the life of the practitioner and hir stream. The Work is to be done, and we are to do it." --Aiseling the Bard

#6 Gramayr

Gramayr

'Mysterio'

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,282 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 05:06 PM

Thanks for that Oak, interesting reading.
"Great spirits have often encountered violent opposition from weak minds." - Albert Einstein

#7 Autumn Moon

Autumn Moon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 07:45 PM

Thanks Oak, good article. Guess it pays $ to be a Black Witch there.