• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#81 Solanaceae

Solanaceae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 26 November 2016 - 03:54 PM

My dearly loved and extremely sensitive cat died about 5 months ago. We buried him in a friend's garden and the friend understands that I eventually want to harvest some of his bones. We wrapped him in several layers of old clothes, a plastic garbage bag and finally placed him in a wooden wine box. I have never harvested bones before, does anyone have a good guesstimate as to how long it will take for his flesh and organs to totally decompose under those circumstances? He is buried about a foot away from the foundation of the home, about 1.5-2 foot deep, with flowers growing above.

Also, has anyone else harvested from a beloved pet companion?

Unfortunately, those are definitely not the best conditions. The plastic bag will keep moisture out, and the flesh and what not will have no where to go.This will vastly increase the amount of time it will take. Under those circumstances I would say even as much as 2 years.  You could even end up with a mummified or partly mummified corpse, or a mess fused to the cloth. In that case you will have to introduce moisture and try again.

Some are born to sweet delight,

Some are born to endless night.

(Fragments from "Auguries of Innocence") William Blake

#82 Madame

Madame

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 27 November 2016 - 09:10 PM

Unfortunately, those are definitely not the best conditions. The plastic bag will keep moisture out, and the flesh and what not will have no where to go.This will vastly increase the amount of time it will take. Under those circumstances I would say even as much as 2 years.  You could even end up with a mummified or partly mummified corpse, or a mess fused to the cloth. In that case you will have to introduce moisture and try again.

This is what I was afraid of. I don't think I want to mess with that, then, I didn't consider the potential for mummification!