• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 14 June 2015 - 12:20 AM

Try Dawn dish soap and a little baking soda, worked well for mine
My mama used to tell me 'bout these
Broke, poachin' ass bitches in these streets,
So many people wanna see me fall,
Invite me to the table but don't want me to eat at all.... ---- Z'Ro the Crooked

#62 RoseRed

RoseRed

. . . Not a big believer in . . . cowinkydink ;)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 14 June 2015 - 12:46 PM

Put them next to a Himalayan salt lamp?

Oh, and walmart now has Himalayan salt tealight holders. They're about the size of an oblong baseball and look sooooo pretty when lit.

When my wings get tired I grab my broom.

#63 Lilitia

Lilitia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 14 June 2015 - 02:33 PM

Good call, RR. That will remove just about any funky smell.
My mama used to tell me 'bout these
Broke, poachin' ass bitches in these streets,
So many people wanna see me fall,
Invite me to the table but don't want me to eat at all.... ---- Z'Ro the Crooked

#64 RoseRed

RoseRed

. . . Not a big believer in . . . cowinkydink ;)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 15 June 2015 - 01:37 PM

I know - that's why I put it in my kids room LOL
When my wings get tired I grab my broom.

#65 bewitchingredhead

bewitchingredhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 09:11 PM

Try Dawn dish soap and a little baking soda, worked well for mine

I'll try this if the salt rock lamp doesn't work. Thanks y'all!

Put them next to a Himalayan salt lamp?

Oh, an d walmart now has Himalayan salt tealight holders. They're about the size of an oblong baseball and look sooooo pretty when lit.

Seriously?! I have like 3 big ones and one small tea light lamp in my house already so that's doable!

I see you're getting your degree in art of the obvious~myself
Without music life would be a mistake~ Friedrich Nietzsche
Immorality: The morality of those who are having a better time~ H.L. Mencken
When nature has work to be done, she creates a genius to do it~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
We cannot teach people anything; we can only help them discover it within themselves~ Galileo

#66 aefre

aefre

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 20 February 2016 - 10:36 AM

Wow. Have used bones in my practise, but never prepared them myself. I've recently acquired a large birds head, don't ask, and am now spoiled for choice with all this great new information. I'm off to get the bucket...
Be nice or go away!

#67 Nera

Nera

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 18 March 2016 - 05:52 PM

Thanks for this amazing info. I am now going to pick up some bird bones I saw when I was jogging.

"There are some who may seem -seem not- as others seem,

who walk life's ragged mile

hid' beneath Man's common guise.

Yet such are they that seem by day,

who walk abroad by night."

#68 Nera

Nera

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 18 March 2016 - 10:51 PM

May I ask you guys if you *ask* a dead animal if you may take its remaining parts, or do you just go by your intuition? I was listening to an interview with Sarah Anne Lawless and she said that one should ask the spirit of the animal if it's OK to use its remains. I thought that was interesting. I go buy my gut feeling.

"There are some who may seem -seem not- as others seem,

who walk life's ragged mile

hid' beneath Man's common guise.

Yet such are they that seem by day,

who walk abroad by night."

#69 Llyr

Llyr

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 22 March 2016 - 12:10 PM

I haven't done this often personally, but on the few occasions that I have I have simply thanked the animal for benefitting nature and stated that I hope the spirit goes well with our mother earth. I have never asked for permission.

The remains would normally be picked up and incinerated if found by the council anyway... or otherwise just left to rot. That would depend on the size of the animal of course.

I always felt that the spirit of the animal would appreciate it's remains being used with the energies of our mother earth, of the local land spirits and the spirit of itself.

There really is no rule Nera, although I always find it's good to be grateful to all life and death.

#70 melshuster

melshuster

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 06 April 2016 - 12:24 PM

Thanks so much for this wonderful article. I read the reply about boiling and the horrible smell that took up residence in the home afterward. But I am curious.....If someone had access to an area where outdoor boiling, say in a cauldron in the woods... would boiling be an optimal means of quickly removing flesh from the bones?  

#71 Llyr

Llyr

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 06 April 2016 - 01:24 PM

I would say if you are going to boil the flesh off the bones then check the bones regularly. If you are cleaning a skull then you have to be extra careful as you can over-boil very easily and damage the actual bone tissue. The bones can then shrink and become very delicate. This is why maceration is usually the preferred option as you allow nature to do its own work instead of trying to rush the process and risk damaging the bones.

#72 melshuster

melshuster

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 06 April 2016 - 03:26 PM

I would say if you are going to boil the flesh off the bones then check the bones regularly. If you are cleaning a skull then you have to be extra careful as you can over-boil very easily and damage the actual bone tissue. The bones can then shrink and become very delicate. This is why maceration is usually the preferred option as you allow nature to do its own work instead of trying to rush the process and risk damaging the bones.

Thank you Llyr.  I do tend to be quite impatient but I do not want to damage the bones. 

#73 Oroboros

Oroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 09:45 PM

If I have overlooked this info- apologies...

My dog snatched up a baby mole. It looks perfect but did not survive the ordeal. It's making a me a little sad honestly -it's freakin adorable. Anyway, of course I want it. I get the instructions for bones. And I'll probably do that if this is not possible.
Is there anyway to preserve the whole thing? I wondered since it was so small if an extended salt burial might work, but I'm guessing there is too much flesh?

It just died.

And no, I don't have formaldehyde:).

Thoughts?

...From ev’ry depth of good and ill , The mystery which binds me still...— Poe

#74 Oroboros

Oroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 09:52 PM

For reference...

Attached Files

#75 Solanaceae

Solanaceae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 23 November 2016 - 01:35 AM

May I ask where you storing it until you decide what to do with it? If any rot at all sets in you should not attempt to preserve the whole thing.

It is small, so you probably could dry the whole thing in salt or borax ( silica works as well ). This will sound gross and you may not be willing to do it, but if you want to decrease the likelihood of anything rotting inside it is best to remove as much of the fleshy bits ( guts and such ) as possible.

After that if you want it to retain its shape you would have to stuff it with something, you could even use salt or borax to speed the drying process further. Probably at least 6 weeks, fully immersed in whatever desiccate you chose. Check every so often for odor. It should smell like dry flesh, not pleasant  but tolerable.

If there are any visible signs of rot or putrid odor you will have to toss the whole thing. When it is completely dry it will not have any soft, squishy or bendy parts. You can gently brush the salt or borax off with a soft brush.

Your finished product will be stiff and rigid, it won't look quite as nice as what you have now of course.

Just curious, what do you think you will use it for?

Some are born to sweet delight,

Some are born to endless night.

(Fragments from "Auguries of Innocence") William Blake

#76 Oroboros

Oroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 23 November 2016 - 02:26 AM

Well This sounds weird I'm sure, but first it's my first dead find since I moved here. Second, with the poor eyesight and hearing etc moles just seem to represent using other senses to me. Seems like I could learn from him.

As far as storing, I put his ass in the freezer, but he can't stay there long. The family wouldn't appreciate it.

#77 Madame

Madame

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 23 November 2016 - 05:47 AM

My dearly loved and extremely sensitive cat died about 5 months ago. We buried him in a friend's garden and the friend understands that I eventually want to harvest some of his bones. We wrapped him in several layers of old clothes, a plastic garbage bag and finally placed him in a wooden wine box. I have never harvested bones before, does anyone have a good guesstimate as to how long it will take for his flesh and organs to totally decompose under those circumstances? He is buried about a foot away from the foundation of the home, about 1.5-2 foot deep, with flowers growing above.

Also, has anyone else harvested from a beloved pet companion?

#78 Oroboros

Oroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 23 November 2016 - 08:15 AM

I obviously am not one who has a lot of experience with this.  But, was it sealed in the plastic or was that laid over top like sheeting or what.  Not sure, but Id think if sealed in plastic things might be a bit messier than they otherwise would have been.  If none of the natural "cleaners" can get to him.  I wish you luck though.

I buried a very beloved Akita about a year and a half ago.  I was in an apartment complex at the time and therefore had to bury him at my mother's yard.  I have considered retrieving him or some part, as it seems he should be buried where I now live.  I have mixed emotions about keeping a specimen from him in the house- though the thought crossed my mind.  But, I did collect a lock of fur when I buried him which I have included in the ancestor altar.  Yeah, I know he's not an ancestor, but as a deceased family member it feels right.

#79 Madame

Madame

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 23 November 2016 - 09:24 AM

I obviously am not one who has a lot of experience with this.  But, was it sealed in the plastic or was that laid over top like sheeting or what.  Not sure, but Id think if sealed in plastic things might be a bit messier than they otherwise would have been.  If none of the natural "cleaners" can get to him.  I wish you luck though.

I buried a very beloved Akita about a year and a half ago.  I was in an apartment complex at the time and therefore had to bury him at my mother's yard.  I have considered retrieving him or some part, as it seems he should be buried where I now live.  I have mixed emotions about keeping a specimen from him in the house- though the thought crossed my mind.  But, I did collect a lock of fur when I buried him which I have included in the ancestor altar.  Yeah, I know he's not an ancestor, but as a deceased family member it feels right.

I don't consider all of the pets I have had as ancestors, but this one I do. Personally I believe that certain pets are definitely ancestors. We include them into our families, and some take to that role more than others. Why not include? The purpose of my pet's bones are also as part of an ancestor practice.

As far as how the plastic was sealed, the entire body and the cloth we wrapped it in was placed inside of a bag. I expect this will add to the time it will take, but how much time I can't tell.Had I been thinking more clearly, I would have just placed him alone in the box without the extra cloths and the bag, but I was severely depressed so my husband took it over with my blessing.

#80 Oroboros

Oroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 26 November 2016 - 07:55 AM

"As far as how the plastic was sealed, the entire body and the cloth we wrapped it in was placed inside of a bag. I expect this will add to the time it will take, but how much time I can't tell.Had I been thinking more clearly, I would have just placed him alone in the box without the extra cloths and the bag, but I was severely depressed so my husband took it over with my blessing."
------------------------
Of course you were and that is most understandable.  I sat in the hole with my dog and only got out as quickly as I did so as to not upset my kids.  I get it.