Photo
- - - - -

Mugwort Tea

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
46 replies to this topic

#41 Whiterose

Whiterose

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,713 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 03:45 PM

Okay, but I am pretty sick of all the witch herbs getting worse reputations than they deserve. Be smart about all new herbs you try, some people are allergic to chamomile for goodness sakes, if its your first time having chamomile make sure someone is around, but the attitude about plant use is over the top and I think dictated by the big pharma industry.

It gets to the point that even a plant with a the very mildest pyschic effect is being referred to as narcotic. By the way I entirely disagree with that characterization. It may be correct by an old fashioned usage of the word, but by the USLegal definition and by its common usage to mean an addictive opiate, it is not. The old fashioned meaning of narcotic meant anything with a psychoactive effect that made you sleepy. However that is not common usage and unfairly places this non addictive mild plant alongside herion. Its like comparing sugar to speed and calling it an aphetimine because they both give you an energetic high.

Also, you are calling it toxic--why because it isn't that great for your liver. Well let me tell you what else isn't good for your liver: alcohol. Is alcohol toxic? I think its an exaggeration! If used to frequently, in too high of doses, and if you are intolerant to it, well yeah, I guess it can be "toxic". But again the word here toxic, it commonly means poisonous. For example, you don't give kids paints with toxic pigments, why because lead, mercury and cadmium can kill you if you eat them and they are paint pigments. But mugwort doesn't just outright kill you. You would have to way way over do it. I can only find people saying mugwort can be overdosed on and can cause death as comments in forums, not in any authoritative places. That makes the claim highly suspect to me. I'd like to see it on an official website that is a current and up to date study. The only information I am seeing of any repute says that its bad to drink it three times a day for ten days in a row. They are talking large quanities, not the small amounts being discussed here.

I am going off on a rant, but until yesterday, Mugwort was the only plant of this kind I could talk about openingly without getting thrown a huge danger drugs line and I am very disappointed to see this one join the ranks. Please don't take it personally, I just needed to stand up for a plant ally that I work with and love. Its a friendship thing, you understand.

I want to touch on this and some of what others said a little as I fully agree with some of the posts.  There seems to be a lot of copy and paste information on the web and not a lot of common sense.  It seems that one person's makes a claim and the rest jump on the bandwagon.  Also, Aloe made a really good point about the berries she eats (I assume she is referring to the poke berries she has mentioned before?) that even though the masses were screaming poison she was taught opposite by people that have experience with that herb and has not suffered for it. 

So here are the questions.  Do any of you intuit your herb information and uses from the spirits or "other", or trusted people? If so, do they contradict what the lemmings are saying online?  If yes, do you trust in your own allies, abilities and knowledge or do you follow the "accepted" uses and knowledge?  If you trust them, do you have the will to use the herb in that way? How did it work out?  I think there is a massive difference between the traditional witch and the modern witch and I think this is one area where it is apparent. 

Just to be clear for those guests that can see what I write, I am not saying to blatantly ignore warnings because you heard a voice or want to be more traditional or whatever.  I am talking about using common sense along with the messages received by those who have a real connection with the spirits and use herbs in accordance with their wisdom, the way our ancestors did before there was the internet or even books and education. If you're stupid enough to overdose on poison, that's on you. 

Back to Mugwort, I use it frequently.  It is also the largest jar in my cupboard.  I normally use it to smudge, but not often as it has a slight cannabis smell.  It smolders very well and is great for clearing out unwanted visitors. For tea I have used the dose Sara mentioned, though only drank half the cup.  For me that was plenty.  It didn't taste bitter to me, it had a nice flavor that reminded me of something I had had before, but I could not place it. Everyone is different, listen to your guides and to your body. 

#42 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,403 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 07:33 PM

. . .

So here are the questions.  Do any of you intuit your herb information and uses from the spirits or "other", or trusted people? If so, do they contradict what the lemmings are saying online?  If yes, do you trust in your own allies, abilities and knowledge or do you follow the "accepted" uses and knowledge?  If you trust them, do you have the will to use the herb in that way? How did it work out?  I think there is a massive difference between the traditional witch and the modern witch and I think this is one area where it is apparent. . . .

Just to be clear for those guests that can see what I write, I am not saying to blatantly ignore warnings because you heard a voice or want to be more traditional or whatever. ...

I am a trust in your ancestors and elders type of person.  I was exposed to many different types of herbs and other plants at a young age and have a pretty good sense of what I cannot tolerate.  Like was said, just about anything can be dangerous in large quantities or when inappropriately administered.  I am very intuitive with herbs, magically, as I am not inclined toward all the "accepted" correspondences.  So, if I encounter something I had not before, I would use a combination of people and spirits I trust, including real experts in the field, and my intuition.

To be honest, I really have never given two flying hoots what other people thought about my personal "usage", but I can understand someone who is new and/or learning wanting to gather knowledge before using something.  I think the difference is in critical thinking skills.  Nothing wrong with having a discerning mind, but not all sources of information are valid.  I mean just because someone has a pretty website and is super-duper nice and sounds all "authoritative" on their personal blog does not mean that they know what the fuck they are talking about. 

I left that last part in the quote cause it made me giggle . . .

#43 Christine

Christine

Marsh Wiggle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 09:20 AM

Eeeheehee, my mugwort seeds sprouted this week and I am stoked. So many complicated posts which I will assiduously read... while drinking mugwort beer, buwahayeah.

Don't drink from the river, drink from the well.

#44 bewitchingredhead

bewitchingredhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 700 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 06:13 AM

Yep, Mountain Rose Herbs is where I get almost all of my herbs that I need in larger amounts (my local occult shop has a rather awesome selection, but sometimes they're out of things and it's not always cheaper in bulk). 

As far as making the mugwort taste a bit better, I use honey (local is awesome if you can get it) and combine it with other herbs to help w/the flavor. Chamomile always adds a nicer flavor, as does lavender and pretty much any of the mints (peppermint, spearmint, lemon verbena, etc.). I drink a lot of herbal tea w/different mixes bc I've always been a terrible insomniac and am more awake at night than any other time and it helps me relax/get drowsy enough to sleep, after which I rely on music designed to get me into delta sleep. 

Anyway, what are you using the mugwort for? Divination purposes?

I see you're getting your degree in art of the obvious~myself
Without music life would be a mistake~ Friedrich Nietzsche
Immorality: The morality of those who are having a better time~ H.L. Mencken
When nature has work to be done, she creates a genius to do it~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
We cannot teach people anything; we can only help them discover it within themselves~ Galileo

#45 Christine

Christine

Marsh Wiggle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 10:42 AM

I like the taste of mugwort. I'm going to have a hard time convincing myself not to put this in pretty much everything.

Don't drink from the river, drink from the well.

#46 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,002 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 01:27 PM

http://www.teahaven....-herb-tea-bags/

http://www.buddhatea...ugwort-tea.html

If anyone is looking for mugwort tea-bag tea....

M

#47 bewitchingredhead

bewitchingredhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 700 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 12:41 AM

http://www.teahaven....-herb-tea-bags/

http://www.buddhatea...ugwort-tea.html

If anyone is looking for mugwort tea-bag tea....

M

That's awesome! Thanks :)

I see you're getting your degree in art of the obvious~myself
Without music life would be a mistake~ Friedrich Nietzsche
Immorality: The morality of those who are having a better time~ H.L. Mencken
When nature has work to be done, she creates a genius to do it~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
We cannot teach people anything; we can only help them discover it within themselves~ Galileo