Photo
- - - - -

Mugwort Tea

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
46 replies to this topic

#21 Anara

Anara

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,150 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 02:32 PM

Anara, Judika Illes has a recipe for mugwort tea called "Artemisia Potion". I don't know if it's permissible to post it here or not since it comes from her book, Element Encyclopedia of 5000 Spells. You can google it though. :) Her blend helps to tone down the bitterness and it's a great tea in general but even better when using it for divination. ;) I keep a pre-made jar of it in my herb cupboard.

:crystal-gazing:

Thank you for the post, Lucea!

I actually have this book & have it opened right now, looking at the Artemisia Potion info. <pg 942>. I'm so glad you added your thoughts, since you use this blend already and like it! I like how the instructions are so detailed; perfect for someone new to the ingesting aspect of using herbs. Although, I see yarrow again as part of this recipe <YUCK :yuck: ...lol>, I also see some other ingredients that I would imagine tone down the bitter taste of yarrow.

Thanks again!

Anara

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you will always long to return." ~ Leonardo Da Vinci

#22 Lucea's Child

Lucea's Child

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 02:53 PM

I'm glad it was helpful. :)

I've noted the yarrow references on this thread. LOL I love yarrow (L&F) and use it in my herbal iced tea recipe with no bitter affect. I guess to each her own. ;) If you aren't crazy about the yarrow then I'd just leave it out. It's certainly not necessary and you could substitute it with another divinitory herb of your choice that you like the taste of.

Enjoy!

“One doesn't discover new lands without consenting
to lose sight of the shore for a very long time.”

— Andre Gide

#23 Anara

Anara

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,150 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 03:43 PM

I'm glad it was helpful. :)

I've noted the yarrow references on this thread. LOL I love yarrow (L&F) and use it in my herbal iced tea recipe with no bitter affect. I guess to each her own. ;) If you aren't crazy about the yarrow then I'd just leave it out. It's certainly not necessary and you could substitute it with another divinitory herb of your choice that you like the taste of.

Enjoy!

Truthfully, I'll try it at least once, as is, then go from there. There are a lot of nice ingredients in that particular recipe that I love anyway, that may totally mask the bitterness for me. Thanks again for your kind reply, and who knows, may end up finding a way to like yarrow in tea after all LOL :)

On another note, the thought of herbal iced tea sounds awesome, right about now. Yum!

Anara

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you will always long to return." ~ Leonardo Da Vinci

#24 Guest_copperhedge_*

Guest_copperhedge_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 November 2011 - 03:53 PM

Anyone grow their own or harvest Mugwort as it grows? Wondering if anyone noticed differences?

(But being pregnant i wouldn't currently consume Mugwort)

Edited by copperhedge, 17 November 2011 - 03:55 PM.

#25 Mountain Witch

Mountain Witch

Practical b/witch

• Moderators
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 04:08 PM

Anyone grow their own or harvest Mugwort as it grows? Wondering if anyone noticed differences?

(But being pregnant i wouldn't currently consume Mugwort)

Yes, I grow my own. As with nearly any plant, it takes on the characteristics of its environment. I garden in terrible soil. The native "soil" is red clay so I've amended the beds with what passes for topsoil around here (it would be considered fill dirt in my home state of Minnesota). My mugwort is a paler green than that I've purchased in the past. Its qualities, however, are not diminished as I've noticed no difference there.

For purposes of action nothing is more useful than narrowness of thought combined with energy of will.
~ Henri Frederic Amiel

You can access my blog and get autographed copies of my books through my website

#26 CelticGypsy

CelticGypsy

Crazy NastyAss Honey Badger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,017 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 11:53 PM

I'm giving this bump, because of what I've been seeing in the ShoutBox from Peers regarding the smoking of this and or tea drinking.

The Original Post and all the Threads to it are very informative, including our Peer who is an Registered Herbalist.

I pose this to our Peers, since this is a herb that has properties of a toxic basis, and one has to be careful with it's uses to internalize by mouth, and or lungs, I would be more inclined, as I'm saving my lungs for another herb experiance ( I don't smoke, but this herb requires injestation this way for maximum benefits ) could not Mugwort be boiled in a large pot of collected water, and the vapors be injested through the nose or mouth for it's purpose ? When I think of this procedure done this way, one would have all the Elements working for a common cause for the Witch. Fire, Water, Earth, Air, Metal ( the Pot ). Just my thoughts, for those who may not smoke, or have a negative reaction to the drinking of Mugwort in a tea. I utilize this method quite a bit in my workings, the boiling of the essense of herbs. You all have any thoughts ?

Regards,
Gypsy

" The last thing you wanted a Witch to do is get bored and start making her own amusements, because Witches sometimes have erratically famous ideas about what was amusing "

Terry Pratchett Legends 1 

#27 seacow

seacow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 01:02 AM

could not Mugwort be boiled in a large pot of collected water, and the vapors be injested through the nose or mouth for it's purpose ?

Brilliant idea! During the winter months you'll often see me doing this with eucalyptus or peppermint to clear my nose. Might even make the smoke not taste so god-awful.

#28 sarasuperid

sarasuperid

Wild Witch of the West

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,425 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 01:24 AM

Is mugwort actually toxic? And at what dosages? It is a common additive to beer and other brews, as well as incense and smoking blends, I have never had ill effect from it, but I only have it occassionally.
"A Craft, a calling, a set of Keys to unlock a particular cosmology that is borne, and born, in the blood of the practitioner, and sets the Work to be done with which one may commune with those who hold the patterns and keys of the life of the practitioner and hir stream. The Work is to be done, and we are to do it." --Aiseling the Bard

#29 Nefreya

Nefreya

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 07:20 AM

"Is Mugwort actually toxic?"

In a word, yes - mildly but that depends on the individual. It is the 'lesser' cousin of Wormwood (same genus), both of which are used in tradiional flying ointments. Where Wormwood contains the active ingredient used in Absythe (drink named after the plant ... and will blow your little green socks off), Mugwort contains thujone - a neuro toxic which can also affect the liver but this is when taken in excessive or prolonged doses - when smoked (apparently) it has a mild narcotic affect.

As with most of the more active herbs, it's a case of starting slowing but PLEASE, when taking for the first few times, make sure someone else is around just in case you have a reaction. However, as this herb has been used for hundreds of years in all manner of ways, sensible consumption and/or use should be ... I'm not going to say it incase I get into trouble! :grin_witch:

PS; it also makes a very good insecticide and is used as a general wormer (not that I think any of you would need worming!).

xx

#30 sarasuperid

sarasuperid

Wild Witch of the West

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,425 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 03:10 PM

Okay, but I am pretty sick of all the witch herbs getting worse reputations than they deserve. Be smart about all new herbs you try, some people are allergic to chamomile for goodness sakes, if its your first time having chamomile make sure someone is around, but the attitude about plant use is over the top and I think dictated by the big pharma industry.

It gets to the point that even a plant with a the very mildest pyschic effect is being referred to as narcotic. By the way I entirely disagree with that characterization. It may be correct by an old fashioned usage of the word, but by the USLegal definition and by its common usage to mean an addictive opiate, it is not. The old fashioned meaning of narcotic meant anything with a psychoactive effect that made you sleepy. However that is not common usage and unfairly places this non addictive mild plant alongside herion. Its like comparing sugar to speed and calling it an aphetimine because they both give you an energetic high.

Also, you are calling it toxic--why because it isn't that great for your liver. Well let me tell you what else isn't good for your liver: alcohol. Is alcohol toxic? I think its an exaggeration! If used to frequently, in too high of doses, and if you are intolerant to it, well yeah, I guess it can be "toxic". But again the word here toxic, it commonly means poisonous. For example, you don't give kids paints with toxic pigments, why because lead, mercury and cadmium can kill you if you eat them and they are paint pigments. But mugwort doesn't just outright kill you. You would have to way way over do it. I can only find people saying mugwort can be overdosed on and can cause death as comments in forums, not in any authoritative places. That makes the claim highly suspect to me. I'd like to see it on an official website that is a current and up to date study. The only information I am seeing of any repute says that its bad to drink it three times a day for ten days in a row. They are talking large quanities, not the small amounts being discussed here.

I am going off on a rant, but until yesterday, Mugwort was the only plant of this kind I could talk about openingly without getting thrown a huge danger drugs line and I am very disappointed to see this one join the ranks. Please don't take it personally, I just needed to stand up for a plant ally that I work with and love. Its a friendship thing, you understand.

"A Craft, a calling, a set of Keys to unlock a particular cosmology that is borne, and born, in the blood of the practitioner, and sets the Work to be done with which one may commune with those who hold the patterns and keys of the life of the practitioner and hir stream. The Work is to be done, and we are to do it." --Aiseling the Bard

#31 Guest_Rev. Gregori_*

Guest_Rev. Gregori_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 May 2012 - 04:10 PM

well said.

btw maybe mixing it with skullcap and local honey.

Okay, but I am pretty sick of all the witch herbs getting worse reputations than they deserve. Be smart about all new herbs you try, some people are allergic to chamomile for goodness sakes, if its your first time having chamomile make sure someone is around, but the attitude about plant use is over the top and I think dictated by the big pharma industry.

It gets to the point that even a plant with a the very mildest pyschic effect is being referred to as narcotic. By the way I entirely disagree with that characterization. It may be correct by an old fashioned usage of the word, but by the USLegal definition and by its common usage to mean an addictive opiate, it is not. The old fashioned meaning of narcotic meant anything with a psychoactive effect that made you sleepy. However that is not common usage and unfairly places this non addictive mild plant alongside herion. Its like comparing sugar to speed and calling it an aphetimine because they both give you an energetic high.

Also, you are calling it toxic--why because it isn't that great for your liver. Well let me tell you what else isn't good for your liver: alcohol. Is alcohol toxic? I think its an exaggeration! If used to frequently, in too high of doses, and if you are intolerant to it, well yeah, I guess it can be "toxic". But again the word here toxic, it commonly means poisonous. For example, you don't give kids paints with toxic pigments, why because lead, mercury and cadmium can kill you if you eat them and they are paint pigments. But mugwort doesn't just outright kill you. You would have to way way over do it. I can only find people saying mugwort can be overdosed on and can cause death as comments in forums, not in any authoritative places. That makes the claim highly suspect to me. I'd like to see it on an official website that is a current and up to date study. The only information I am seeing of any repute says that its bad to drink it three times a day for ten days in a row. They are talking large quanities, not the small amounts being discussed here.

I am going off on a rant, but until yesterday, Mugwort was the only plant of this kind I could talk about openingly without getting thrown a huge danger drugs line and I am very disappointed to see this one join the ranks. Please don't take it personally, I just needed to stand up for a plant ally that I work with and love. Its a friendship thing, you understand.

#32 CelticGypsy

CelticGypsy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,017 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 06:22 PM

I personally love Mugwort, and use it frequently in a working, it is an ally of mine. Yet, stupid people do stupid things. It's their lack of knowledge in forming any relationship with a plant property.

I don't have to tell you this Sara, how important it is for the Witch to create and revisit relationships with plants. What I've found in having an alliance with the plant world, is that many of them have dualistic natures. It is up to the Witch to ferret out those natures that is inclusive to the plant. I learned that, from researching a plant that alot of people enjoy in baking and sauses and jams. I don't share that level of intimacy with this plant.

This plant and I, communicate on another level, as I enjoy the plant, for it's canopy of darkness. The relationship with this plant is based on what I've learned, and then discovered the proper way of introducing it to my level of understanding with a respectful approach to the plant, it opened up an experiance for me, based on a trial and error, but once I mastered it, the outcome was more than I expected.

I stick up for "my friends" too ! I've got "friends" in low and dark shadowed places................ Who just adore Miracle Grow plant food, and a little bit of blood from time to time.

Regards,
Gypsy

" The last thing you wanted a Witch to do is get bored and start making her own amusements, because Witches sometimes have erratically famous ideas about what was amusing "

#33 Mountain Witch

Mountain Witch

Practical b/witch

• Moderators
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 09:49 PM

Anything is toxic in large doses, and anything can be toxic to an individual with a sensitivity to a substance.

In moderation, Mugwort is no more toxic than Marijuana. Period.

For purposes of action nothing is more useful than narrowness of thought combined with energy of will.
~ Henri Frederic Amiel

You can access my blog and get autographed copies of my books through my website

#34 Nefreya

Nefreya

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 10:03 PM

I think it's apparent that the definition of 'toxic' is different here ... doesn't mean lethal, hence the word 'mildly' being used. However, as there are many guests to the site a word of caution for those not familiar with any substance can't be seen as a bad thing (I personally wouldn't wish anyone 'visiting' to go throwing a fistful into a cup and using it like a Tetley's no matter how stupid this behaviour may seem!).

I am surprised if the US legal definition of narcotic is 'an addictive opiate' as opiates are a particular branch of drug originally derived from poppys until the pharmceutical industry managed to sythesize it ... but that is going off on a tangent. The Oxford English definition of narcotic is 'substance inducing drowsiness, sleep, stupor or insensibility', this is my understanding of the word, it may seem old-fashioned to you but this seems like a damn fine night out to me but please bear in mind, we don't all live in the US and therefore do not subscribe to the same definitions.

#35 sarasuperid

sarasuperid

Wild Witch of the West

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,425 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 10:58 PM

I think it's apparent that the definition of 'toxic' is different here ... doesn't mean lethal, hence the word 'mildly' being used. However, as there are many guests to the site a word of caution for those not familiar with any substance can't be seen as a bad thing (I personally wouldn't wish anyone 'visiting' to go throwing a fistful into a cup and using it like a Tetley's no matter how stupid this behaviour may seem!).

I am surprised if the US legal definition of narcotic is 'an addictive opiate' as opiates are a particular branch of drug originally derived from poppys until the pharmceutical industry managed to sythesize it ... but that is going off on a tangent. The Oxford English definition of narcotic is 'substance inducing drowsiness, sleep, stupor or insensibility', this is my understanding of the word, it may seem old-fashioned to you but this seems like a damn fine night out to me but please bear in mind, we don't all live in the US and therefore do not subscribe to the same definitions.

I am not sure who it was in chat that was telling people it was toxic. But it seemed to inspire my esteemed peers to think it was dangerous to ingest at all. I am against that kind of alarmism and the obvious effect it has on my peers when they are told exaggerated information.

As Mountain Witch said above anything is toxic in large doses.

#36 Tephyr

Tephyr

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 03:04 AM

Great thread about one of my favorite herbs.

I wrote an article about it years ago that if your interested you can read here: http://www.altnature...en/Mugwort.html

As well as an article on Toxicity and Herbs: http://www.altnature...ry/toxicity.htm

:)

#37 Whiterose

Whiterose

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,713 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 10:21 AM

I wrote an article about it years ago that if your interested you can read here: http://www.altnature...en/Mugwort.html

As well as an article on Toxicity and Herbs: http://www.altnature...ry/toxicity.htm

I enjoyed those articles, thankyou. Very well written.

#38 CelticGypsy

CelticGypsy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,017 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 02:29 PM

Thank you Tephyr for this, we here on the Forum, can not stress enough about the common sense factor for safety reasons, when using herbs in anything. I know I've missed the mark in some of my Posts or Threads regarding certain herbs. Yet one of my Peers here will gladly come behind me and refer to the safety issue and common sense factor. I guess I give too much of a benefit of the doubt, when I believe folks will use their common sense. But there are "those" who unfortuneately......... don't.:rolleyes_witch: Researching is not all that time consuming, imho.

Regards,
Gypsy

#39 Coyote

Coyote

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 04:19 AM

Another fascinating thread. Thanks to all for sharing here.
Seems like an old dog like me can always learn a few things ;)

All these years and I had never approached Mugwort as a plant helper.
I have studied and tried numerous sacred plant allies over the years but never that.
Many witches recommend it though, as I can see.

Worth some investigation.

C

#40 RoseRed

RoseRed

. . . Not a big believer in . . . cowinkydink ;)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,427 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 12:55 PM

I just wanted to add a thought on 'food grade' herbs.

In my little corner of the American South 'food grade' requires the seller to prepare the herb/food/whatever in a commercial kitchen.  Most people don't have this in their homes.  The only way to get around the 'legal hoops' is to claim it 'Not for human consumption.'  There's a woman down the road from me who sells fresh cow milk labeled 'Not for human consumption' simply because she refuses to bottle it in a rented commercial kitchen to have it certified 'Food Grade' BUT jam, jelly and salsa can be made in your backyard and sold as food grade. 

It's the same thing at my local herb shop.  All of her herbs are labeled 'Not for human consumption' simply because of the liscensing laws in the state.  I think the whole thing is ridiculous and can turn a lot of people 'off' because they just don't understand why things are labeled the way they are.

There's a local herbalist that does herb walks and when she picks the wild plants she makes sure to tell the people that 'this isn't for human consumption' just because I refuse to rent a commercial kitchen to dry it and bottle it in.

When my wings get tired I grab my broom.