• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 Anara

Anara

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 938 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 12:55 PM

Any mugwort tea drinkers...do you have a tried and true recipe you like? I drank my first cup of mugwort tea last evening, by itself and, although I actually like the taste <some warned me it might be a bit bitter> I think it would have been much better mixed with other herbs perhaps.

I have one that includes 3 parts rose petals, and 1 part cinnamon, nutmeg, and bay each<Incense,Oils and Brews> but am looking for others.

I googled on the internet a bit, but would trust someone's direct experience with their recipe here a bit more.

Although I use herbs and resins a lot for burning, carrying and incense making and am comfortable within those practices-ingesting is new for me. So, safe, tested, recipes with this particular herb in tea, is much appreciated, if anyone is willing to share.

Thanks!
~Ruby

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you will always long to return." ~ Leonardo Da Vinci

#2 Aloe

Aloe

ridge running Ozark banshee..

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,420 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 01:40 PM

Although I use herbs and resins a lot for burning, carrying and incense making and am comfortable within those practices-ingesting is new for me. So, safe, tested, recipes with this particular herb in tea, is much appreciated, if anyone is willing to share.

Thanks!
~Ruby

You might try adding some dried stevia leaf to cut the bitterness, I do this with a lot of herbs that aren't quite so tasty in teas. :)

When asking for a 'safe' recipe keep in mind that what's safe for one person might not be for another. Hell I eat a certain wild berry in the summer that has warnings of "Don't eat, has fatal toxins, will cause death!" all over it in herb books and I haven't died yet because I was taught the proper way to eat them by experienced elders. Because of the way I was taught to handle and use plants, safety issues never used to occur to me when recommending them to others because I assumed certain things were common knowledge. Just a heads up since you're new to ingesting, I realize you may have already known this.

"The people who live in the Ozark country of Missouri and Arkansas were, until very recently, the most deliberately unprogressive people in the United States. Descended from pioneers who came West from the Southern Appalachians at the beginning of the nineteenth century, they made little contact with the outer world for more than a hundred years. They seem like foreigners to the average urban American, but nearly all of them come of British stock, and many families have lived in America since colonial days. Their material heirlooms are few, but like all isolated illiterates they have clung to the old songs and obsolete sayings and outworn customs of their ancestors." Ozark Magic and Folklore

#3 Marabet

Marabet

Miss Clavel's Shadow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 02:07 PM

Thanks for bringing this up, Ruby. I have been wanting to try some Mugwort tea.
I ran to a tower where the church bells chime
I hoped that they would clear my mind
They left a ringing in my ear
But that drum's still beating loud and clear

{Florence + The Machine 'Drumming Song'}

#4 Anara

Anara

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 938 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 02:10 PM

You might try adding some dried stevia leaf to cut the bitterness, I do this with a lot of herbs that aren't quite so tasty in teas. :)

When asking for a 'safe' recipe keep in mind that what's safe for one person might not be for another. Hell I eat a certain wild berry in the summer that has warnings of "Don't eat, has fatal toxins, will cause death!" all over it in herb books and I haven't died yet because I was taught the proper way to eat them by experienced elders. Because of the way I was taught to handle and use plants, safety issues never used to occur to me when recommending them to others because I assumed certain things were common knowledge. Just a heads up since you're new to ingesting, I realize you may have already known this.

Thanks for the info, Aloe! I am super sensitive to everything it seems, so that is good advice for me. I do understand that everyone is different and will react differently, but it doesn't hurt to be reminded, so thank you. I am a safety conscious person & generally like to try and know all I can about an herb before I will actively use it. But, yeah, I haven't had anyone teach me, so what I learn at this point, is through my own research which consists mostly of reading, and trial and error...speaking of which... wish I would have thought of stevia last night when trying a bit of yarrow in a mix..blech...lol! :yuck:

~Ruby

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you will always long to return." ~ Leonardo Da Vinci

#5 Aloe

Aloe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,420 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 02:15 PM

Thanks for the info, Aloe! I am super sensitive to everything it seems, so that is good advice for me. I do understand that everyone is different and will react differently, but it doesn't hurt to be reminded, so thank you. I am a safety conscious person & generally like to try and know all I can about an herb before I will actively use it. But, yeah, I haven't had anyone teach me, so what I learn at this point, is through my own research which consists mostly of reading, and trial and error...speaking of which... wish I would have thought of stevia last night when trying a bit of yarrow in a mix..blech...lol! :yuck:

~Ruby

Haha, I think I once described a yarrow tincture as tasting like a "dropper full of death". :sickwitch:

"The people who live in the Ozark country of Missouri and Arkansas were, until very recently, the most deliberately unprogressive people in the United States. Descended from pioneers who came West from the Southern Appalachians at the beginning of the nineteenth century, they made little contact with the outer world for more than a hundred years. They seem like foreigners to the average urban American, but nearly all of them come of British stock, and many families have lived in America since colonial days. Their material heirlooms are few, but like all isolated illiterates they have clung to the old songs and obsolete sayings and outworn customs of their ancestors." Ozark Magic and Folklore

#6 Anara

Anara

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 938 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 02:26 PM

Thanks for bringing this up, Ruby. I have been wanting to try some Mugwort tea.

Oh good, I'm not the only one then!

Just an FYI- I bought a few packages from a company called 13moons. <its an online store only> and the store owner and I talked back and forth a bit via email just yesterday. I verified with her that the organic mugwort on her website is food grade, and she gathers her own yarrow....which I guess is a whole other topic in itself, but an important one. I'd llike to think anything labeled organic is ok, but, I don't know, I'm just overly cautious, I guess.

As a newer person to ingesting the kind of herbs you really can't get in a grocery store <at least where I live>, it has been interesting reading labels and has made me a bit uncomfortable trying to learn which companies sell herbs that are, in fact, food grade. My local occult shop sells herbs that are clearly marked, not for internal use...mugwort included...other stores, the labeling is a bit more ambiguous...I am guessing the safest of all is to grow your own, just a guess though.

Maybe someone will come along in here and offer some good, tried and true websites where you can buy food grade herbs like mugwort safely & consistently.

~Ruby

#7 Aloe

Aloe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,420 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 02:28 PM

Maybe someone will come along in here and offer some good, tried and true websites where you can buy food grade herbs like mugwort safely & consistently.

~Ruby

Me and a lot of people I know buy from Mountain Rose Herbs for herbs we intend to eat. http://www.mountainroseherbs.com/

#8 Anara

Anara

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 938 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 02:32 PM

Haha, I think I once described a yarrow tincture as tasting like a "dropper full of death". :sickwitch:

LOL! ewww...it is so gross tasting..lol

#9 Anara

Anara

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 938 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 02:34 PM

Me and a lot of people I know buy from Mountain Rose Herbs for herbs we intend to eat. http://www.mountainroseherbs.com/

Thanks for the tip! I will definitely check out the website, Aloe!

#10 sarasuperid

sarasuperid

Wild Witch of the West

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,429 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 02:54 PM

My whole witches circle will second mountain rose herbs. Good sized bags, good price, good color, fresh dried, good eating.

As for mugwort I like one teaspoon of dried herb steeped in hot water for ten minutes, it might not taste great, but if you get the herbs out, you can let it cool gown to gulping temperature so you don't have to sip it, makes the taste go by much faster.

"A Craft, a calling, a set of Keys to unlock a particular cosmology that is borne, and born, in the blood of the practitioner, and sets the Work to be done with which one may commune with those who hold the patterns and keys of the life of the practitioner and hir stream. The Work is to be done, and we are to do it." --Aiseling the Bard

#11 Absinthe

Absinthe

Inquisitor's Bane

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 03:23 PM

Thanks Ruby & Aloe. Like Maggie, I have been wanting to try the tea but am a bit hesitant because of the usual warnings. I haven't yet found a supplier in the UK that labels their product as fit for consumption but I suppose they're covering themselves against irresponsible gulpers who might tip the whole bag in.
I've read wonderful things about mugwort but, being careful, suppose that the only way to safely get the effect you're hoping for is (like everything else) one step at a time and very carefully.
Interesting topic.
Aloe, I wish I'd had older family members that taught me the way you were taught about natural things. Everything I had as a child came out of a packet or tin.

Nosce te ipsum, et sapere aude

#12 Aloe

Aloe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,420 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 03:32 PM

Aloe, I wish I'd had older family members that taught me the way you were taught about natural things. Everything I had as a child came out of a packet or tin.

There are benefits to growing up in a family of hillbillies out in the middle of nowhere. ;)

#13 Mountain Witch

Mountain Witch

Practical b/witch

• Moderators
  • 3,561 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 09:39 PM

where you can buy food grade herbs like mugwort safely & consistently.

At least here in the US, labeling anything is something of a concern. The word "organic" is regulated by the FDA, as are a few others. Even using the term "food grade" can raise political hackles. To avoid problems, a lot of people (like me) prefer "pesticide- and fungicide-free, non-irradiated". That gets you an organic, food-grade product without inducing enquiries or paying through the nose for "Certified Organic" products. So you might look for those terms, as well.

BTW, Mountain Rose Herbs is excellent, as are StarWest Botanicals and the San Francisco Herb Company. On the latter two beware: their herb prices are in line with everyone else but the shipping charges will bite you (at least in my experience).

For purposes of action nothing is more useful than narrowness of thought combined with energy of will.
~ Henri Frederic Amiel

You can access my blog and get autographed copies of my books through my website

#14 Marabet

Marabet

Miss Clavel's Shadow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 12:20 AM

I was about to suggest Mountain Rose Herbs. I get all of my herbs through them. They also carry a Mugwort bundle (like a Sage bundle) I would like to try out.

Edited by Maggie-in-the-Mead, 07 October 2011 - 12:21 AM.

I ran to a tower where the church bells chime
I hoped that they would clear my mind
They left a ringing in my ear
But that drum's still beating loud and clear

{Florence + The Machine 'Drumming Song'}

#15 Anara

Anara

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 938 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 12:53 PM

At least here in the US, labeling anything is something of a concern. The word "organic" is regulated by the FDA, as are a few others. Even using the term "food grade" can raise political hackles. To avoid problems, a lot of people (like me) prefer "pesticide- and fungicide-free, non-irradiated". That gets you an organic, food-grade product without inducing enquiries or paying through the nose for "Certified Organic" products. So you might look for those terms, as well.

BTW, Mountain Rose Herbs is excellent, as are StarWest Botanicals and the San Francisco Herb Company. On the latter two beware: their herb prices are in line with everyone else but the shipping charges will bite you (at least in my experience).

The labeling issue makes more sense to me now; I appreciate the info.! I appreciate the website recommendations as well & the heads up on the shipping!

Everyone commenting so far seem to really like Mountain Rose Herbs, so I went ahead and ordered a catalog from them. Thanks for sharing your thoughts everyone!

Best Regards,
~Ruby

#16 Micki

Micki

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 01:37 AM

Mugwort can be a little bitter by it self. I've found that mixing it with an equal amount of damiana and adding a little honey makes for a very soothing evening brew .

#17 Luthien

Luthien

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 04:40 AM

"I haven't yet found a supplier in the UK that labels their product as fit for consumption but I suppose they're covering themselves against irresponsible gulpers who might tip the whole bag in."

Hi Absinthe, I don't know if you have heard of baldwin and co but they do sell herbs for consumption. It's pretty great quality and they have almost everything.
The shop is in London but they have an online shop too (www.baldwins.co.uk/).

Luthien

#18 Rowan's Light

Rowan's Light

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 612 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 09:18 PM

Hi Absinthe, I don't know if you have heard of baldwin and co but they do sell herbs for consumption. It's pretty great quality and they have almost everything.
The shop is in London but they have an online shop too (www.baldwins.co.uk/).

Luthien

Thanks for this Luthien. They have a lovely range. Will place an order shortly.

#19 Luthien

Luthien

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 07:19 AM

You are welcome Rowan! It's a fantastic shop, shame I moved away from the UK..... can't find something similar in Germany.

#20 Lucea's Child

Lucea's Child

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 02:03 PM

Anara, Judika Illes has a recipe for mugwort tea called "Artemisia Potion". I don't know if it's permissible to post it here or not since it comes from her book, Element Encyclopedia of 5000 Spells. You can google it though. :) Her blend helps to tone down the bitterness and it's a great tea in general but even better when using it for divination. ;) I keep a pre-made jar of it in my herb cupboard.

:crystal-gazing:

“One doesn't discover new lands without consenting
to lose sight of the shore for a very long time.”

— Andre Gide