#1 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 12:05 PM

POPULAR

Spells, Healing, Cursing, Spirit Contact, Meditation, Grocery Shopping, Watching TV... these are all things witches do but it isn't what makes one a witch.

I suppose some would define a witch merely by her actions but that's doesn't make them a witch. Witches are, to me, witches becuase of their view and understanding and relationship with things not immediately obvious to the average human. Witches are NOT the average human, they are a breed apart due to their understanding of the world and what moves within it. In a less industrialized time the witch may have been defined by their ability to work with the unseen forces but in today's world where the accepted culture is not a village where the majority of people were even aware of these forces, the witch has actually become one who recognizes these forces (rather a step down, but an incredibly important one).

I see many witches who do spells - especially those lovely little ego-spells for personal power "No one fucks with me - I'm a tough witch", but they are clueless as to the forces that work and move the spells (if their spells even get above superstition and into spells that work). They're magicians, not witches. And when their spell is over they bask in their after-spell ego glow for a few hours or days, then go back to a mundane life looking for trouble or then next reason to do a spell so they can be "witchy" again. They rarely stay on the path becuase they just don't "get it."

One doesn't need to do physical actions to daily bring the craft into their lives, because their very world view is defined by the craft itself so each and every reaction and thought they have is defined by their view of the world/s and their interaction with it which doesn't stop - not for work, not for sleep, not for gorcery shopping. Witches see things so differently that they are akin to actually living in a different world, or certainly a different reality.

The Craft is a state of existance, a state of experiencing things, not a specific set series of actions. That's where it has to start, if one wants to walk the Path - not with spells that have no connection to anything other than wishes, but interaction with the forces that exist. (Just my view :-)

M

#2 Abydos

Abydos

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 12:14 PM

Good day, all.

One doesn't need to do physical actions to daily bring the craft into their lives, because their very world view is defined by the craft itself so each and every reaction and thought they have is defined by their view of the world/s and their interaction with it which doesn't stop - not for work, not for sleep, not for gorcery shopping. Witches see things so differently that they are akin to actually living in a different world, or certainly a different reality.

The Craft is a state of existance, a state of experiencing things, not a specific set series of actions. That's where it has to start, if one wants to walk the Path - not with spells that have no connection to anything other than wishes, but interaction with the forces that exist. (Just my view :-)

Very beautifully put, and I have to agree 100%. The Craft isn't about what you do, but about recognition of who you are, every hour of every day.

Kind regards,

Kurt

"Your personal lack of understanding of a concept in no way invalidates its legitimacy."

#3 8people

8people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 12:58 PM

That was something I truly needed to read today.

Eloquently put and far reaching as always, Michele.

#4 Wytchywoman

Wytchywoman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 01:19 PM

Beautiful analogy Michele.
Smile! It makes people wonder what you're up to..

#5 Brigid

Brigid

Beyond The Bullshit...........yeah, even yours.......

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,283 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 02:02 PM

Spells, Healing, Cursing, Spirit Contact, Meditation, Grocery Shopping, Watching TV... these are all things witches do but it isn't what makes one a witch.

I suppose some would define a witch merely by her actions but that's doesn't make them a witch. Witches are, to me, witches becuase of their view and understanding and relationship with things not immediately obvious to the average human. Witches are NOT the average human, they are a breed apart due to their understanding of the world and what moves within it. In a less industrialized time the witch may have been defined by their ability to work with the unseen forces but in today's world where the accepted culture is not a village where the majority of people were even aware of these forces, the witch has actually become one who recognizes these forces (rather a step down, but an incredibly important one).

I see many witches who do spells - especially those lovely little ego-spells for personal power "No one fucks with me - I'm a tough witch", but they are clueless as to the forces that work and move the spells (if their spells even get above superstition and into spells that work). They're magicians, not witches. And when their spell is over they bask in their after-spell ego glow for a few hours or days, then go back to a mundane life looking for trouble or then next reason to do a spell so they can be "witchy" again. They rarely stay on the path becuase they just don't "get it."

M

As always very well said!! I would also add that,

The witch is always growing, never stagnant , it's a personal journey which may or may not have an ultimate destination.

Ritualistic behaviour, though well-intentioned, possesses no significance or effectiveness unless its external prescription is matched by a personal, internal motivation of will and desire.

#6 Phoenix

Phoenix

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 04:13 PM

I agree

#7 Marabet

Marabet

Miss Clavel's Shadow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 05:29 PM

(emphasis mine)

As always so well written! I couldn't agree more.

I ran to a tower where the church bells chime
I hoped that they would clear my mind
They left a ringing in my ear
But that drum's still beating loud and clear

{Florence + The Machine 'Drumming Song'}

#8 Crazengraht

Crazengraht

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 06:31 PM

Even though I'm very young in the path of the witch, I strongly agree with this as I have come to the same conclusions myself.
The fact that I discover this strengthens my determination and comfort me.
I am very grateful to have found this forum! I am learning new things everyday and get some answers to some doubts I have.
Off topic but would someone know a book about "Sharing Dreams" ?
Thanks!

Edited by Crazengraht, 26 September 2011 - 07:13 PM.

One is me, Two is ideal,
Three I fade, Four is either (2x2 or 3+1)
From five I lead, In the Shadow more often than not...
Don't Dream it, Be it!

#9 Gramayr

Gramayr

'Mysterio'

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,282 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 10:02 PM

Michele, I love it when you write stuff like this - always has a lot of thought put into it. It's not very often I do any defined physical/practical workings as I don't feel the need (unless there is a situation and the intent to). 'Just being' is enough for me, haven't tried to put it into words myself as you do it so much better.
Voted this one up :thumbsup:

"Great spirits have often encountered violent opposition from weak minds." - Albert Einstein

#10 Guest_Rowan_*

Guest_Rowan_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 September 2011 - 10:21 PM

Michele, would you agree that at least daily meditation is one specific action that every witch should perform?

I agree that a witch is not an 'average human' in the tendency to recognize the movement of forces/energies/whatever you want to label it...but I hold fast to the notion that the ability to do this is latent in every human being. The witch hearkens to and hones that latent ability, but it is not her (or his) exclusive domain, in my opinion.

What a witch is, in that sense, is fully human. And what a witch isn't is supernatural. A witch is fully natural. What do you think?

Edited by Rowan, 26 September 2011 - 10:24 PM.

#11 Mountain Witch

Mountain Witch

Practical b/witch

• Moderators
  • 3,825 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 10:33 PM

would you agree that at least daily meditation is one specific action that every witch should perform?

I am, and I don't.

For purposes of action nothing is more useful than narrowness of thought combined with energy of will.
~ Henri Frederic Amiel

You can access my blog and get autographed copies of my books through my website

#12 Marabet

Marabet

Miss Clavel's Shadow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 10:36 PM

I agree that a witch is not an 'average human' in the tendency to recognize the movement of forces/energies/whatever you want to label it...but I hold fast to the notion that the ability to do this is latent in every human being. The witch hearkens to and hones that latent ability, but it is not her (or his) exclusive domain, in my opinion.

I kind of maybe sort of agree with you. I don't think everyone has it in them to be a witch. I do think that some aspects of what makes a witch can be found in everyone. It's similar to how some people are great at singing, and some aren't. Or how some people can make beautiful artwork, and some like me can't even draw a semi-straight line.

I think the more important thing is that we don't expect it from everyone. All I can think is "so what?". So what if not everyone is a witch. So what if only some people are good at singing? So what if only some people can make art masterpieces? One can have a meaningful and full life without being a witch. I don't think being a witch in and of itself makes one "fully human". I do think one can be fully human as long as they are embracing themselves fully. For some people that does not include witchcraft.

Of course I'm not Michele so don't mind me! LOL

Edited to add: define "meditation". I don't really agree that a witch "needs" any form but meditation really is a broad term. I can't really see the Cunning Folk of old sitting down to meditate for 15 minutes a day, frankly.

Edited by Maggie-in-the-Mead, 26 September 2011 - 10:39 PM.

I ran to a tower where the church bells chime
I hoped that they would clear my mind
They left a ringing in my ear
But that drum's still beating loud and clear

{Florence + The Machine 'Drumming Song'}

#13 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 11:15 PM

Michele, would you agree that at least daily meditation is one specific action that every witch should perform?

What a witch is, in that sense, is fully human. And what a witch isn't is supernatural. A witch is fully natural. What do you think?

For me, personally, it would depend on how you define meditation. I would be loathe to tell anyone they 'should' do anything daily (besides shower and brush their teeth if I have to be in their presence, lol). There's a lot of things one "could" do on a regular basis that would put them in closer contact with the energies/forces and meditation (depending on the definition) could be one of the things. The thing is, if it is something one is then they will automatically do things daily without even thinking about it - sitting at a traffic light and noticing an unusual movement in a flock of birds, and getting lost in the movement and pulled into it (until the guy behind you beeps the horn, lol), sitting on the loo peeing and looking at the bathroom and the plant on the window sill and seeing not just a plant, but feeling and sensing the "blood" move in the veins and feeling the plant grow and knowing it has its own awareness. Our world is not limited to a pretty plant on the sill that brightens up an otherwise bare spot in the bathroom. Feeling more than what is in the eye's sight while you're photocopying at work. Seeing a thing with the physical eye, and also seeing it's 'other' nature in the deep eyes. Seeing reasons in things other people take for granted or don't even notice. And sometimes having a bad day and being to effing fed up to deal with any of it, lol. Having someone confront you and suddenly seeing them surrounded by their own stagnent, strangling convictions in a depressing grayness around them that they can't break out of. I'm not better than any of them, I'm just different. Turning to these forces as readily as one would turn to their umbrella or any other mundane thing.

I don't know if all humans have the latent ability, I do know not all humans have the desire and perhaps that in itself defines their ability - for the will, belief, and desire of a witch are paramount to the witch's ability. And not in a "damn you're hot - I 'will' you onto the barstool next to mine so we can hook up" - sometimes it is merely the will to believe in what others don't, and the desire to believe in it that drives the will when it doesn't seem believable. That's when people who dabble leave. "It was fun, and god it would be soooooo cool if it was real, and I really wish it was real..." They WANT to believe, but their desire isn't strong enough where they would risk the fact that it may be real which is sometimes more frightening than the thought that it might not be real. One has to desire above all else, and be willing to risk a lot of things - things other people take for granted, like sanity. I don't know if that lack of desire is lack of a latent "witcheness" or just lask of staying-power. And I think there're levels of involvement with the energies, depending on one's desire and what one is willing to risk, and how much one is willing to let go.

I don't know if a witch is supernatural... I'd have to define the word for myself. And sometimes a very definition restricts a thing to that definition. I don't think a witch can ever be fully defined, becuase what they work with often goes beyond mortal definition and to define it anchors the witch to the mundane world. One can't define a thing that is beyond full comprehension, except in myth which is entirely symbolic. To an extent things must be defined, but they must also have a part of them that is left to just wash over the senses, including the senses not recognized by the mundane world.

M

#14 Wytchywoman

Wytchywoman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 11:29 PM

Why would anyone agree with this? There are no rules and regulations to being a witch, least of all daily requirements for meditation.

#15 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 11:48 PM

I think that maybe she meant it as "should to it to enhance their craft" not "should to it or they're not a witch."

M

#16 Aloe

Aloe

ridge running Ozark banshee..

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,420 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 11:50 PM

Why would anyone agree with this? There are no rules and regulations to being a witch, least of all daily requirements for meditation.

I was wondering the same thing. lol

My answer would be definitely no, and I don't care how meditation is being defined in the question.

Daily practice with any skill a person has or is developing can enhance their work and is something I like to do, but the "should" part just doesn't sit well with me. We're all different.

"The people who live in the Ozark country of Missouri and Arkansas were, until very recently, the most deliberately unprogressive people in the United States. Descended from pioneers who came West from the Southern Appalachians at the beginning of the nineteenth century, they made little contact with the outer world for more than a hundred years. They seem like foreigners to the average urban American, but nearly all of them come of British stock, and many families have lived in America since colonial days. Their material heirlooms are few, but like all isolated illiterates they have clung to the old songs and obsolete sayings and outworn customs of their ancestors." Ozark Magic and Folklore

#17 Wytchywoman

Wytchywoman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 11:59 PM

I think that maybe she meant it as "should to it to enhance their craft" not "should to it or they're not a witch."

M

Could be. But I would have to respectfully agree to disagree with it. I don't think daily meditation would necessarily enhance one witch any more than one that chooses not to meditate daily.

#18 Wytchywoman

Wytchywoman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 12:03 AM

I kind of maybe sort of agree with you. I don't think everyone has it in them to be a witch. I do think that some aspects of what makes a witch can be found in everyone. It's similar to how some people are great at singing, and some aren't. Or how some people can make beautiful artwork, and some like me can't even draw a semi-straight line.

I like your analogy and pretty much agree. This is why not everyone is a witch even if there is something within everyone. Even among witches, I would say some are better at certain areas than others. Like one may be a master at divination, while another is better at working with spirits,, etc.

#19 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 01:02 AM

. . . would you agree that at least daily meditation is one specific action that every witch should perform?

Nope. Been there, hated that. Might make other folks feel peaceful and centered, but makes me crazy. Like pinch babies and kick puppies crazy . . . well, maybe not quite that bad, but close.

I can think of about 1,000 other things to do daily with that amount of time, and I'm 100% Witch.

Jevne

#20 Autumn Moon

Autumn Moon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 01:02 AM

Meditation in the classical sense ie. Buddhist or Taoist can enhance focus and reduce distractibility. This can also be trained through other ways as well such as gardening, painting, and others. Most classical meditation tethers the mind to a single object, but there are also other ways such as focusing on a single thought to the exclusion of all others, or passively following a train of thought ie. this led to that, and that led to this which in turn led to....

Eventually, meditation to leads to the state of no thought, ie: a pure state of heightened experience ie. just experiencing without a judgmental, closed border mind, which I think, is one of the things Michele uses to define a Witch.

It is also said that meditation can enhance psychic abilities.

So, I can see how meditation would be beneficial to the witch, but it would just be a tool to develop 'witch skills' in other areas.