Photo
- - - - -

Blue Obsidian

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

#1 Anara

Anara

aspire beyond fear of death (Bhairavi)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,168 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 05:11 PM

I was in my favorite local occult shop over the weekend and this little piece caught my eye and I felt drawn to it. The owner told me it was a natural blue obsidian sphere. I picked it up and asked her if it was "real" blue obsidian <I had only vaguely remembered such a thing existing through reading a book on crystals but had never actually seen one> and she says she trusts her supplier..is someone she has worked with for years...and truthfully, I trust her, because I have been buying things there since I was a kid. She said this was the first time she has come across blue obsidian and probably won't get a chance to get it again. <I have seen one or two websites that offer the stone for purchase, but I guess you have to be wary of imitation; from what I have read anyway>

Being such a fan of obsidian, I decided to buy it and try it out!! There is not much information out there regarding blue obsidian, but here is what I have found on a few websites on the internet; This is known as a shaman's stone, aids in astral travel, good protective stone for sensitive psychics, and a good stone for tarot readers. If you google blue obsidian, you can find the info I mentioned here pretty quickly.

There seems to be some debate about the validity of authentic blue obsidian...which I thought was interesting..

I did start working with it over the weekend and...my goodness, it certainly seems like a true obsidian stone. The energies in this sphere are kind of overwhelming actually, and I am still trying to "mesh" with it's energies. This stone's energies open up pretty fast though..that much I noticed so far.

I am putting this info in here for two reasons- First, I am wondering if anyone else around here has experience working with this particular stone & their thoughts on it, and two, if you haven't heard of this one and you like crystals & stones like I do...this might be one to try and find. It's pretty cool :)

~Ruby

edited to remove photo

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you will always long to return." ~ Leonardo Da Vinci

#2 8people

8people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 01:22 PM

That's very interesting, I've not seen blue obsidian myself (seent a purplish one before though) and always assumed it would be more translucent and denser colour.

I'd be interested if you found out where it originated, it's very clear.

#3 CelticGypsy

CelticGypsy

Crazy NastyAss Honey Badger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,105 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 07:05 PM

Hello Ruby ,

I pulled out one of my old books regarding Obsidian, I'd like to share what it says for an addition to your orginal post, and hopefully give others, as well as myself some elightenment.

OBSIDIAN ( Glass )

Obsidian is a natural glass, a volcanic melt that was suddenly exposed to air and cooled too rapidly to form crystals. One crystal mystic erroneously defines obsidian as " a crystal formed to quickly to develop facets, " and also erroneously states that clear quartz is natural glass like obsidian. Quartz is crystaline, obsidian is not. Another mystic, even farther off the mark, refers to obsidian as a fossil.

The ancient Mexicans made divinatory mirrors of polished osbsidian and also obsidian images of the god Tezcatlipoca, whose name means "shining mirror. " Obsidian itself was called iztli or teotetl, "divine stone." Older civilizations had many reasons to revere obsidian. It was extremely useful. When carefully chipped and polished, obsidian makes razor-sharp knife blades, arrowheads, spear points scrapers, and other tools. It is also ornamental and talismanic, serving for personal adornment and as a gift to divinities.

Popular talismans nowadays are small tumbled nodules of black obsidian known as Apache tears, although why Apaches should have wept black tears remains a mystery.

Obsidian is usually hard, shiny black mass, translucent at the edges. There are color variation. Mahogany obsidian is reddish or marbled with streak of brownish red. Snowflake obsidian ( also called flower osidian ) shows gray-white star-spots of included spherulites ( spherical grains ). Golden sheen a dn silver sheen obsidian contain inclusions that display a silky luster under bright light. There is also rainbow sheen obsidian. Another form is " Pele's hair, " named aft the Polynesian Goddess of volcanoes, consisting of lon thin filaments, nature's spun glass.

To the mystics, obsidian is " a magnet that draws the spirit forces in the body, " and is somehow involved in "interbreeding a higher form of awareness " here on earth. This alleged interbreeding is brought about by drawing the qualities of souls into bodies, while " lesser vibrations " are cleard away, all by the ineffable magice of inert volcanic glass. This seems to imply that "soul qualities " are not part of oneself, but must be brought from somewhere else. The only justification for this premise would be a belief like that of the ancient Polynesians, that the Coddess Pele kept all souls of the dead in her volcanoes, occasionally sending them back to Earth's surface along with her lava, to be reincarnated in new life forms.

The shiny surface of obsidian is frequently embellished with faint flow lines, in which images may be seen, recalling the tradition of the divinatory mirror. Golden, silver, and rainbow sheen obsidian makes beautiful objects for contimeplation in a bright light. Out of their inky black surface, luminous clouds unexpectedly appear, suggesting the numerous symbolic connotations of light emerging from darkness. Sheen obsidian servs as a metaphor of creation or birth. Its own history is compatible with the metaphor. Obsidian has emerged from Earth's ( or Pele's " fiery womb, and is itself the very substance of that womb. In the same sense as the old belief that each child was formed of its mother's retained uterine blood, so obsidian is formed of Earth's inner fluid. Once born, it is congealed but not crystallized. Just as meteorites come suddenly from the heavens, so obsidian comes suddenly from the depths.

Regards,
Gypsy

Credit Source : The Book of Sacred Stones 1989, by Barbara G. Walker

" The last thing you wanted a Witch to do is get bored and start making her own amusements, because Witches sometimes have erratically famous ideas about what was amusing "

Terry Pratchett Legends 1 

#4 Gramayr

Gramayr

'Mysterio'

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,282 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 10:30 PM

A small factoid about obsidian glass is that it is probably the sharpest thing you'll ever come across. Some surgeons use it instead of scalpels as scalpels cut through the tissue - obsidian glass however is so sharp it actually parts the tissue and so the tissue heals faster afterwards.
I know a thing or two about sharp objects as I collect and use straight or open razors (cut-throats to the masses) and on one forum someone actually tried and successfully used obsidian glass to shave with (not something I'd like to try)

"Great spirits have often encountered violent opposition from weak minds." - Albert Einstein

#5 lusa

lusa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 01:34 AM

I looked up colored obsidian about two years back, because I'd never heard or seen anything of it and a store claimed to have 'red' obsidian and I was confused. Always thought it was either totally black or black with the little white snow-flaky markings on it. Apparently, some claim that a lot of stuff labeled as blue/red/pick-a-bright-color is regular glass marketed as obsidian. I'm definitely not an expert though! Is there a manmade glass being re-marketed and called obsidian that I'm missing here? I cant' for the life of me find the site I read this on years ago, but here's one that echos that idea (I don't know the validity of the site). Either way, it's a nice piece, and if it works and makes you happy, that's the important thing.

"We sailed through endless skies. Stars shine like eyes. The black night sighs."

#6 8people

8people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 08:29 AM

Obsidian is a natural glass formed in a specific way - so in theory means of obtaining naurally forming coloured glass can obtain coloured obsidian in a similar way. Would be incredibly rare, though, which makes me wonder if certain areas are prone to it due to local minerals.

#7 Anara

Anara

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,168 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 10:10 AM

I looked up colored obsidian about two years back, because I'd never heard or seen anything of it and a store claimed to have 'red' obsidian and I was confused. Always thought it was either totally black or black with the little white snow-flaky markings on it. Apparently, some claim that a lot of stuff labeled as blue/red/pick-a-bright-color is regular glass marketed as obsidian. I'm definitely not an expert though! Is there a manmade glass being re-marketed and called obsidian that I'm missing here? I cant' for the life of me find the site I read this on years ago, but here's one that echos that idea (I don't know the validity of the site). Either way, it's a nice piece, and if it works and makes you happy, that's the important thing.

Hiya Lusa!

Thanks for posting the link-I actually enjoyed looking it over! I did not come across this site when I was initially researching, but came across others...including a message board that included "experts"...even they were debating the validity of the blue obsidian, which is why the whole thing is fascinating me to being with...one expert even had a few pieces himself and claimed their validity.

Awareness is so important when buying these types of things, right?? Nobody wants to mistakenly buy a forgery, of course, including me! At the same time though, I agree-"if it makes you happy, that's all that matters".

but.. truthfully if it would turn out to be fake man made glass, I will probably take it back to the owner and tell her what I found. It would not be so much the money that I'd be concerned about, as it is the principle. I'll be honest though-I do not think this piece is man-made; doesn't mean I am right..lol..but there are definite energies within this sphere and since I don't know why yet, I'm not going to come to a conclusion either way-yet.

sidenote: Now you have me wondering about the existence of red obsidian..lol

~Ruby

Edited by ruby, 22 September 2011 - 11:14 AM.

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you will always long to return." ~ Leonardo Da Vinci

#8 Anara

Anara

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,168 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 10:48 AM

Obsidian is a natural glass formed in a specific way - so in theory means of obtaining naurally forming coloured glass can obtain coloured obsidian in a similar way. Would be incredibly rare, though, which makes me wonder if certain areas are prone to it due to local minerals.

Hi 8people,

I agree, I wondered that too.

Over the summer, I did a lot of internet searching on gems because I was hell bent on buying my own gems to make some jewelry at an affordable price. While looking for an emerald, I came across a lot of green beryl online being marketed as emerald. So, the first thing I thought of when picking it up in the store was beryl, strangely enough.

So, anyway, I did a bit of searching online over the past few days in my spare time because I am really curious about this. Looks like there is some info. out there about Bahia Blue Obsidian from Brazil and a few sites selling Bahia blue obsidian pieces...as to the authenticity of Bahia Blue at this point, I just don't know! I do know there are large deposits of beryl in Brazil...lots of emeralds come from there..I am not a gem expert by any stretch of the imagination..but I wondered if that could have something to do with the coloring, if Bahia Blue Obsidian is authentic...just a thought, really..I have no proof to back that up.

Coincidentally though, I did purchase a gem that I am currently having set into a piece of jewelry for myself. When I go to the jeweler <who happens to also be into metaphysical type stuff> to pick up my finished piece in the next few weeks, I think I am going to take this into him and get his thoughts. I wonder if he'll be able to tell by looking at it...

~Ruby

Edited by ruby, 22 September 2011 - 02:15 PM.

#9 Anara

Anara

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,168 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 01:12 PM

Hello Ruby ,

I pulled out one of my old books regarding Obsidian, I'd like to share what it says for an addition to your orginal post, and hopefully give others, as well as myself some elightenment.

OBSIDIAN ( Glass )

Obsidian is a natural glass, a volcanic melt that was suddenly exposed to air and cooled too rapidly to form crystals. One crystal mystic erroneously defines obsidian as " a crystal formed to quickly to develop facets, " and also erroneously states that clear quartz is natural glass like obsidian. Quartz is crystaline, obsidian is not. Another mystic, even farther off the mark, refers to obsidian as a fossil.

The ancient Mexicans made divinatory mirrors of polished osbsidian and also obsidian images of the god Tezcatlipoca, whose name means "shining mirror. " Obsidian itself was called iztli or teotetl, "divine stone." Older civilizations had many reasons to revere obsidian. It was extremely useful. When carefully chipped and polished, obsidian makes razor-sharp knife blades, arrowheads, spear points scrapers, and other tools. It is also ornamental and talismanic, serving for personal adornment and as a gift to divinities.

Popular talismans nowadays are small tumbled nodules of black obsidian known as Apache tears, although why Apaches should have wept black tears remains a mystery.

Obsidian is usually hard, shiny black mass, translucent at the edges. There are color variation. Mahogany obsidian is reddish or marbled with streak of brownish red. Snowflake obsidian ( also called flower osidian ) shows gray-white star-spots of included spherulites ( spherical grains ). Golden sheen a dn silver sheen obsidian contain inclusions that display a silky luster under bright light. There is also rainbow sheen obsidian. Another form is " Pele's hair, " named aft the Polynesian Goddess of volcanoes, consisting of lon thin filaments, nature's spun glass.

To the mystics, obsidian is " a magnet that draws the spirit forces in the body, " and is somehow involved in "interbreeding a higher form of awareness " here on earth. This alleged interbreeding is brought about by drawing the qualities of souls into bodies, while " lesser vibrations " are cleard away, all by the ineffable magice of inert volcanic glass. This seems to imply that "soul qualities " are not part of oneself, but must be brought from somewhere else. The only justification for this premise would be a belief like that of the ancient Polynesians, that the Coddess Pele kept all souls of the dead in her volcanoes, occasionally sending them back to Earth's surface along with her lava, to be reincarnated in new life forms.

The shiny surface of obsidian is frequently embellished with faint flow lines, in which images may be seen, recalling the tradition of the divinatory mirror. Golden, silver, and rainbow sheen obsidian makes beautiful objects for contimeplation in a bright light. Out of their inky black surface, luminous clouds unexpectedly appear, suggesting the numerous symbolic connotations of light emerging from darkness. Sheen obsidian servs as a metaphor of creation or birth. Its own history is compatible with the metaphor. Obsidian has emerged from Earth's ( or Pele's " fiery womb, and is itself the very substance of that womb. In the same sense as the old belief that each child was formed of its mother's retained uterine blood, so obsidian is formed of Earth's inner fluid. Once born, it is congealed but not crystallized. Just as meteorites come suddenly from the heavens, so obsidian comes suddenly from the depths.

Regards,
Gypsy

Credit Source : The Book of Sacred Stones 1989, by Barbara G. Walker

I really enjoyed reading that! I found the lore about Pele to be especially interesting. Good stuff :)

~Ruby

#10 Anara

Anara

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,168 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 01:26 PM

A small factoid about obsidian glass is that it is probably the sharpest thing you'll ever come across. Some surgeons use it instead of scalpels as scalpels cut through the tissue - obsidian glass however is so sharp it actually parts the tissue and so the tissue heals faster afterwards.
I know a thing or two about sharp objects as I collect and use straight or open razors (cut-throats to the masses) and on one forum someone actually tried and successfully used obsidian glass to shave with (not something I'd like to try)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWSTE6WLB0Y

I admit, I cringed while watching that, Gramayr, thinking about how easy it would be to accidentally get cut.. and..Wow, I did not realize how sharp obsidian is & had no idea it was used in surgery.

That whole video was interesting!

~Ruby

#11 lusa

lusa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 03:32 AM

Hiya Lusa!

Thanks for posting the link-I actually enjoyed looking it over! I did not come across this site when I was initially researching, but came across others...including a message board that included "experts"...even they were debating the validity of the blue obsidian, which is why the whole thing is fascinating me to being with...one expert even had a few pieces himself and claimed their validity.

Awareness is so important when buying these types of things, right?? Nobody wants to mistakenly buy a forgery, of course, including me! At the same time though, I agree-"if it makes you happy, that's all that matters".

but.. truthfully if it would turn out to be fake man made glass, I will probably take it back to the owner and tell her what I found. It would not be so much the money that I'd be concerned about, as it is the principle. I'll be honest though-I do not think this piece is man-made; doesn't mean I am right..lol..but there are definite energies within this sphere and since I don't know why yet, I'm not going to come to a conclusion either way-yet.

sidenote: Now you have me wondering about the existence of red obsidian..lol

~Ruby

Yeah, I'd also prolly take it back to the owner, just because the owner might either be misleading or misrepresenting something even they don't know. I use a plain clear crystal one. No frills, not even an interesting color or a bubble in it becauseI want it blank as my mind when I start. I keep it in a box of dried sage and it works for me. The material is not always the magic by any means ;)

Red obsidian would be awesome though. I wonder if the color of the surface, whatever it is, influences your associations and what you see? They say we are so heavily influenced by weather, and our moods and appetites by color too, I wonder if it plays a part. I know that the objects that I sometimes see reflected in the ball and whatever color they are sometimes break or influence my concentration and thought.

Also, where do people sit when they use a crystal ball? For some reason I have to be at my desk. I've wanted to move elsewhere, but just haven't.

"We sailed through endless skies. Stars shine like eyes. The black night sighs."

#12 Anara

Anara

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,168 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 07:24 PM

Yeah, I'd also prolly take it back to the owner, just because the owner might either be misleading or misrepresenting something even they don't know. I use a plain clear crystal one. No frills, not even an interesting color or a bubble in it becauseI want it blank as my mind when I start. I keep it in a box of dried sage and it works for me. The material is not always the magic by any means ;)

Red obsidian would be awesome though. I wonder if the color of the surface, whatever it is, influences your associations and what you see? They say we are so heavily influenced by weather, and our moods and appetites by color too, I wonder if it plays a part. I know that the objects that I sometimes see reflected in the ball and whatever color they are sometimes break or influence my concentration and thought.

Also, where do people sit when they use a crystal ball? For some reason I have to be at my desk. I've wanted to move elsewhere, but just haven't.

After thinking about it, I am just going to keep it either way...when I saw it, I was drawn to it & I am picking up energy within it, so it's doing something for me <whether it be my energy, it's energy, or both>. If it does turn out to be man-made glass, I will probably just call the owner and let her know..she wouldn't mislead...I would assume it was a supplier issue..or the supplier's supplier even. She needs to know though.

Good question on the color aspect too! That is certainly thought provoking. My favorite crystal that I work with daily, is a large sphere with many inclusions. Rainbows appear everywhere when it hits a light source, and I find that it does not make a difference in my concentration. Next time I work with it though, I will try to pay attention to images and colors I see <other than the rainbows> and see if it is making a difference somehow, because now I am curious.

As far as where I use the crystals; I carry it around mostly..lol...a favorite way to work with it, is by walking around outside in my bare feet, believe it or not, and focusing on my questions. Also, love your idea about putting your crystal with sage! I might try putting the big one I have with sage, or even mugwort maybe, when it's not in use.

BTW-I did see red obsidian on the internet..it is more like a dark blood red color & opaque..I did not read too much about it yet & cannot say with 100% certainty if it is true obsidian, but it looked authentic.

Have a good one!

~Ruby

Edited by ruby, 23 September 2011 - 07:25 PM.

#13 lusa

lusa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 07:10 PM

As far as where I use the crystals; I carry it around mostly..lol...a favorite way to work with it, is by walking around outside in my bare feet, believe it or not, and focusing on my questions. Also, love your idea about putting your crystal with sage! I might try putting the big one I have with sage, or even mugwort maybe, when it's not in use.

BTW-I did see red obsidian on the internet..it is more like a dark blood red color & opaque..I did not read too much about it yet & cannot say with 100% certainty if it is true obsidian, but it looked authentic.

Have a good one!

~Ruby

Ruby,
Here's UPitt Dept of Geology, briefly explaining obsidian content/texture - there's some red there, it's quite beautiful!

Your comments on crystals brought a lot back for me! I got turned off to crystals or use of any stones when I was a teenager for a variety of reasons, the main of course being new ager's and wiccans with the rush of books by "experts", etc.. A few of my classmates got sucked into it and I did the non-conformist adolescent thing and tossed my stones in a box to forget them. But reading this, I remembered how as a little kid the very first 'tools' I was drawn to were crystals. I collected loads of them as a 5 and 6 year old kid, either by digging or buying collections partially because I was interested in the science of how such beautiful solid structures can be formed in a world so prone to quick change - but mostly because even as a kid I could sense some level of power in them. I've never been a fan of the tumbled ones - it's like their faces and characters were eroded away by man - I love the crags and indentations of the ones straight out of the earth.

I'd love to find my old ones, as I'm always to hesitant to go buying stuff!

Lusa