Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

thevioletsunflower

'Old World Witchcraft' by Raven Grimassi

Posted · Hidden by spinney, October 25, 2011 - contains personal off topic subjects
Hidden by spinney, October 25, 2011 - contains personal off topic subjects

It's snarky to point out that someone's not being forthright, really? Interesting though, that you have no comment about the remark made about the editor and wife arguing over the mistress. May I assume you're ok with that remark, but not with it being questioned?

I took it as a joke not as a personal attack on anyone. It's B's humor as far as I can tell.

No, not at all. If you'll honestly look at my replies, I correct statements that misrepresent the book by offering quotes and page numbers that are about what's actually said. I don't believe that trying to keep the record straight is being defensive on my part. I feel it's the proper thing anyone should do.

I have no problem with someone finding problems with the book, or not liking the book. It doesn't change my world in the slightest. What I have a problem with is when people misrepresent what's written when they critique a book. I've got a thing for facts and don't like them ignored.

I have only honestly looked at your replies. What I have gathered is that what you perceive as factual inaccuracies aren't always that. Often they are the reader's opinion of the reading. "This is what I took from it" vs. "Raven Grimassi said the sky was green at midday". This is what I don't understand. I could get saying "No where in the book does Grimassi assert the sky is green at midday" but it more so turns into "what you have taken from the book is incorrect because what I took from it was such/because you haven't completed it/because you are making assumptions". What I am trying to say is this book isn't everyone's thing and I don't understand the need to call people on that.

I have found all the reviews helpful including your own even if they are in contrast.

Posted · Hidden by spinney, October 25, 2011 - contains personal off topic subjects
Hidden by spinney, October 25, 2011 - contains personal off topic subjects

I took it as a joke not as a personal attack on anyone. It's B's humor as far as I can tell.

I guess I'm unable to see the humor in a remark of that nature.

I have only honestly looked at your replies. What I have gathered is that what you perceive as factual inaccuracies aren't always that. Often they are the reader's opinion of the reading. "This is what I took from it" vs. "Raven Grimassi said the sky was green at midday". This is what I don't understand. I could get saying "No where in the book does Grimassi assert the sky is green at midday" but it more so turns into "what you have taken from the book is incorrect because what I took from it was such/because you haven't completed it/because you are making assumptions".

Seems that you and I are miles apart from understanding one another. That's unfortunate.

" What I am trying to say is this book isn't everyone's thing and I don't understand the need to call people on that.

Like I said, I don't really care if someone honestly doesn't like this book or any book. And I don't believe that I'm giving anyone grief for their perspective. I'm just trying to address what's actually in the book. Interpretations of that may vary, of course. But I don't believe I'm addressing interpretations, I believe I'm addressing misrepresentations of the author's stated positions. That's why I bother to quote and supply pages for reference.

ST & Maggie -

TIME OUT.

It's obvious you have differing opinions on the book, and that's fine. What's not fine is this snippy conversation going on between the two of you. It's not adding anything to the discussion anymore. Agree to disagree and leave it at that. If you don't, I will start editing and/or deleting your posts.

Posted · Hidden by spinney, October 25, 2011 - off topic
Hidden by spinney, October 25, 2011 - off topic

I apologize, MW. I didn't intend to come off as snippy, I am genuinely curious. But it is what it is.

Again, everyone, thanks for your thoughts on the book. I got far more out of this thread than I originally expected to!

Posted · Hidden by spinney, October 25, 2011 - off topic
Hidden by spinney, October 25, 2011 - off topic

ST & Maggie -

TIME OUT.

It's obvious you have differing opinions on the book, and that's fine. What's not fine is this snippy conversation going on between the two of you. It's not adding anything to the discussion anymore. Agree to disagree and leave it at that. If you don't, I will start editing and/or deleting your posts.

Sounds like the best approach for all concerned.

Posted · Hidden by spinney, October 25, 2011 - no need for this post as was asked not to post by mod
Hidden by spinney, October 25, 2011 - no need for this post as was asked not to post by mod

I agree that this thread is, well, ridiculous actually and out of context, but I do have to clarify one thing.

My comment that apparently really pissed of ST regarding the author and his editor WAS a joke in response to the post made just before it. as the poster felt that the book was not edited correctly and seemed choppy. It was a JOKE and it was humor. I'm sorry that ST doesn't appreciate my humor, it clearly flew over her head, Maggie was correct when telling ST it was my "humor".

It shocked me to see my words quoted in a conversation that I was clearly no longer involved in and am completely baffled as to why ST would take it so personally.

Please DON'T respond to this post, that is not the intention for my words here, it was simply to defend my so called snarky behavior. Not that I actually know what the word "snarky" is supposed to mean.

If anyone feels the need to respond to any comment made here, please do it in PM and let this thread go where it belongs..................

Brigid.

This thread is now LOCKED until I can go through it and edit it back to a book review. If anyone has something constructive to add prior to my accomplishing that, please PM a Mod.

I just reviewed the whole of this thead. Took a while. One of the things that struck me was how many people expressed a view of the book, without having read it.

This is a book review section people, reading the book is implicit in the task!

I also think it is appropriate to ask questions of the reviewer for information and clarification, but reading through this I felt some of the questions were of a baiting nature. Don't do that! It also amazed me how much misreading of posts was obvious from some of the replies, and some of the posts were frankly downright ignorant. I agree this thread should now remain locked.