30 replies to this topic

#1 Marabet

Marabet

Miss Clavel's Shadow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 04:04 PM

So many thoughts on this (spin off of the Intuition thread) that I hope I can articulate it right. It's probably going to be a bit disjointed. Please bear with me!

I do believe that one can be taught their craft by otherworldly teachers. By this I mean an entity (or entities) who purposefully are teaching someone their craft. I know Brigid and Michele expressed on the other thread that they lean towards this belief as well (or maybe something different? If so I apologize for ASSuming). For me this brings up a whole bunch of thoughts and questions...

Are those "born witches" born with this inherent knowledge *or* is it possible they have an otherworldly teacher from birth? I ask this because I have come across more than a few people that have expressed a sort of knowledge from birth. There could be many explanations for this, and it stands to reason to me that an otherworldly teacher could be one.

Is this a part of the function of a familiar? Or, at least, could it be?Or is a familiar and a teacher two separate things? (if you can't tell I am still trying to wrap my brain around familiars)

Do you believe these teachers come to you or that it is possible (maybe even mandatory) to seek them out? Taking into account my first question I don't think they must be sought out but that makes me wonder why some are seemingly just born with one/one finds them in time and why others have to go looking.

My thought is that in some way those who are drawn out of this world and asked to straddle the divide have to have some form of otherworldly assistance whether or not they can qualify that presence. It's just too hard for me to believe that we can be born or just wake up one day with this knowledge/push towards this path of our own accord without any prior knowledge of it. It'd be like Yo-Yo Ma waking up one morning having never seen or heard a cello deciding he was going to find one and play Twinkle Twinkle Little Star on it. How could that possibly just happen?

What are your personal experiences with this? (if you don't mind sharing, of course) And, as always, I would love to hear your thoughts.

Edited by Maggie-in-the-Mead, 17 September 2011 - 06:21 PM.

I ran to a tower where the church bells chime
I hoped that they would clear my mind
They left a ringing in my ear
But that drum's still beating loud and clear

{Florence + The Machine 'Drumming Song'}

#2 Marabet

Marabet

Miss Clavel's Shadow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 04:04 PM

Admins/Mods, not sure if I posted this in the right forum...
I ran to a tower where the church bells chime
I hoped that they would clear my mind
They left a ringing in my ear
But that drum's still beating loud and clear

{Florence + The Machine 'Drumming Song'}

#3 Brigid

Brigid

Beyond The Bullshit...........yeah, even yours.......

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,283 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 06:07 PM

This is a very thought provoking post Maggie!!!

It is the weekend and my house if full, but I am printing it out to ponder! Posted Image

Ritualistic behaviour, though well-intentioned, possesses no significance or effectiveness unless its external prescription is matched by a personal, internal motivation of will and desire.

#4 sarasuperid

sarasuperid

Wild Witch of the West

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,429 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 08:13 PM

Great post! I have tons of thoughts on this! As I alluded to in an earlier post I believe witches are spirit touched. But I leave it at that because there are so many permeations of such. In addition to the many permeations there are many perceptions of those transmissions. And so many sources too. Really the possibilities of expressions of witch blood are exponential!
"A Craft, a calling, a set of Keys to unlock a particular cosmology that is borne, and born, in the blood of the practitioner, and sets the Work to be done with which one may commune with those who hold the patterns and keys of the life of the practitioner and hir stream. The Work is to be done, and we are to do it." --Aiseling the Bard

#5 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 11:00 PM

My personal opinion at this point in time (which is given to change without notice - one of the perogatives of being born female, bwahahaha...):

I was not born "witchy." I didn't try to cast spells when I was six as a teenager I was quite put off by anything having to do with spells or possession. What I was born with was questions, deep introspection, and a leaning toward what most refer to as the mystical. So was I born with inherent "witch knowledge?" Who knows. But knowledge isn't necessarily what is in the cognizant part of our brain. Some things are in there but need to be prodded into "re-remembering." I've had fantasies that were damn weird even for me and were I a more inhibited person I would have been upset by them but they were weird enough that I wrote them down only to find out much later that it was actually a ritual used to "awaken the blood." Where did that come from? Was it in me already, or in that deep state of fantasy (which can be trance-like) was something introduced from somewhere else? I have pathworked to places and asked for information and been given it. Sometimes I had no clue what it meant and other times it was obvious. Is the pathworking to inner worlds a part of me that already "knew" this info or was it to an outerworld where something "else" gave me the info? Who knows - and does it have to be one or the other? Perhaps (and very possibly) one goes through the inner world to break out of the restraining (physical) realm. I've done intense ritual where not a damn thing happened, then in the days that follow I get sudden impulses and intense moments of knowing to the point where I'm writing things down at traffic lights. I've had dreams that are just "dreams" and dreams that tell me things and have interactions in them.

All of the above are examples of being "taught." Whether the teaching comes from something has inherent inside of me or from outside sources is up to definition. The more complex an energy becomes the denser it becomes, and thereby physical (that's how we got here in the first place). Perhaps to pass into the other reams we have to go "inner" first to break down and/or away from logical complexity to where worlds exist that are not of the physical-material realm. Becuase we are physical we exist in physical duality. This is me and if something is not me than it is other than me - it is "other." Therefore, impulse, dreams, gnostic moments - all things that come from the self people assume are not "real" are not from a teacher, are not contact. Everything is connected within the web - if it wasn't magic wouldn't work. So one's guides, teachers, etc., have accesss to the witch through the threads that connect all energies. One does not have to have a tangible being appear before their eyes to have a real "other world" teacher. That can happen, but in today's world where technology and logic have taken over it is highly unusual due to the hold of the logical mind. Mystical experiences are trained out of us very early - even in witch families (unless the child has no contact with the outside world) they will be exposed to a logic-based culture very early in life through friends and school. Even religion has become logic-based - chants are no longer in Latin or any language of the gods where the unknown words washed over one catapulting one into a trance-like escatsy - the words are in English where the logical mind takes over and closes doors by fixing the devotee in the physical/logical realm of trying to understand and define the meaning of the sentences.

So to me, one of the first things to do to gain understanding of "other world teachers" is to try and "unlearn" cultural duality. In the compass (and I know many aren't into that but...) it is the first and last "round thing" (got forbid I should say cirular thing, lol) ever made. So all witches past, present, and future exist within the compass. Stepping into it transpports one to the realm of the ancestors, including witch ancestors (not physical ancestors but beings who were "witches"). The compass exists out of time. It's not necessarily about "sacred space" or ceremonial protections. It is tapping into memories of the others who have walked the path before you yet whose memories still exist within that "round thing". These can also be your teachers.

There is also the lore of the Fallen - this is mystical and symbolic - it is not angels created by the Xtian god who had a fight with him and got the boot; that is merely the xtianization of older myths. It is evolved entities/energies who descended to the physical realm to impart knowledge into the floundering race of man and raise them up above the animal level. Soome people believe the witches are actually of that race (anlthough not pure that race). Some believe all peoples have that spark within them. Some believe this race faded from this world as the logical mind took over and the mystical became dusty fantasy books on shelves and that they became what is now regarded as the Fae. Some believe they went into the land. Maybe all are right, maybe none of them are.

Plants can also be teachers. Plants have an awareness but no logical mind. The spirits of plants live by day in the sun and concentrate on the more physical aspect of growth and survival, but by night as that aspect of the plant "sleeps" the spirit of the plant is highly connective and can be contacted. I bought a wand from a man (or woman, I never did find out which, lol) who, per emails I had with him/her, I believe has much greater knowledge than I did of how to charm plants and make a tool which holds the actual spirit of the living plant within it. I have had conversations with this wood and been shown and told things of great interest and to date, great truths. Most people would laugh at that and say it's neo-pagan claptrap to go about having conversations with wands. It may be if it's a dead wand with no spirit and no connection is made. But if the wand is proplery made/charmed and the witch is receptive to it then contact can be made. One can also do the same with any living plant but the plant's "knowledge" is much greater in wild plants that have limited contact with humans - the plant's "spirit" tends to withdraw itself with a lot of human contact, especially contact with humans who have no clue how to interact with it - it becomes "domesticated". But you have to still the logical mind, and you have to keep it still afterwards and not let it poo-poo the information and/or experience. And one can feel quite foolish doing it until one starts to make contact. It takes dedication and repitition and a willingness to be foolish or insightful and fuck what others think. But in that respect, the plant is also an "other world " teacher.

Familiars - in the word-usage of the witch trials, they can be teachers. In the usage of thought forms made by the witch they are help-mates, but can also teach as they will often have access to things the witch does not (at least I have found that). The Shadow, as I personally define it (the mirror self that exists beyond the veil) is also a teacher and contact with that self is to me a very impportant part of growing as a witch.

That's my current take on things.

M

#6 Willau

Willau

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 02:00 AM

Michelle, my jaw just dropped like a lead weight when I read your post. Before you replied I went about my day pondering on this could be answered, and your words said it so eloquently. I couldn't agree more.Not sure what the "round thing is", but this:

I was not born "witchy." I didn't try to cast spells when I was six as a teenager I was quite put off by anything having to do with spells or possession. What I was born with was questions, deep introspection, and a leaning toward what most refer to as the mystical. So was I born with inherent "witch knowledge?" Who knows. But knowledge isn't necessarily what is in the cognizant part of our brain. Some things are in there but need to be prodded into "re-remembering." I've had fantasies that were damn weird even for me and were I a more inhibited person I would have been upset by them but they were weird enough that I wrote them down only to find out much later that it was actually a ritual used to "awaken the blood." Where did that come from? Was it in me already, or in that deep state of fantasy (which can be trance-like) was something introduced from somewhere else? I have pathworked to places and asked for information and been given it. Sometimes I had no clue what it meant and other times it was obvious. Is the pathworking to inner worlds a part of me that already "knew" this info or was it to an outerworld where something "else" gave me the info? Who knows - and does it have to be one or the other? Perhaps (and very possibly) one goes through the inner world to break out of the restraining (physical) realm. I've done intense ritual where not a damn thing happened, then in the days that follow I get sudden impulses and intense moments of knowing to the point where I'm writing things down at traffic lights. I've had dreams that are just "dreams" and dreams that tell me things and have interactions in them.

All of the above are examples of being "taught." Whether the teaching comes from something has inherent inside of me or from outside sources is up to definition. The more complex an energy becomes the denser it becomes, and thereby physical (that's how we got here in the first place). Perhaps to pass into the other reams we have to go "inner" first to break down and/or away from logical complexity to where worlds exist that are not of the physical-material realm. Becuase we are physical we exist in physical duality. This is me and if something is not me than it is other than me - it is "other." Therefore, impulse, dreams, gnostic moments - all things that come from the self people assume are not "real" are not from a teacher, are not contact. Everything is connected within the web - if it wasn't magic wouldn't work. So one's guides, teachers, etc., have accesss to the witch through the threads that connect all energies. One does not have to have a tangible being appear before their eyes to have a real "other world" teacher. That can happen, but in today's world where technology and logic have taken over it is highly unusual due to the hold of the logical mind. Mystical experiences are trained out of us very early - even in witch families (unless the child has no contact with the outside world) they will be exposed to a logic-based culture very early in life through friends and school. Even religion has become logic-based - chants are no longer in Latin or any language of the gods where the unknown words washed over one catapulting one into a trance-like escatsy - the words are in English where the logical mind takes over and closes doors by fixing the devotee in the physical/logical realm of trying to understand and define the meaning of the sentences.

The only thing I would consider if instead of this:

So to me, one of the first things to do to gain understanding of "other world teachers" is to try and "unlearn" cultural duality. In the compass (and I know many aren't into that but...) it is the first and last "round thing" (got forbid I should say cirular thing, lol) ever made. So all witches past, present, and future exist within the compass. Stepping into it transpports one to the realm of the ancestors, including witch ancestors (not physical ancestors but beings who were "witches"). The compass exists out of time. It's not necessarily about "sacred space" or ceremonial protections. It is tapping into memories of the others who have walked the path before you yet whose memories still exist within that "round thing". These can also be your teachers.

Is that we need to recall the knowledge that we have acquired throughout our own "eternal" existance. It is the essence of all the wisdom of our own jouney that we, or those attuned to what may seem to be otherworldly, but only the wise spirit we were from the beginning? Familiars, are those we have progressed & always have been with? And for those that can travel within thier dreams, are merely the dream of our soul that has always been?

:blondmoment:

#7 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 01:58 PM

Michelle, my jaw just dropped like a lead weight when I read your post. Before you replied I went about my day pondering on this could be answered, and your words said it so eloquently. I couldn't agree more.Not sure what the "round thing is", but this:

The only thing I would consider if instead of this:

Is that we need to recall the knowledge that we have acquired throughout our own "eternal" existance. It is the essence of all the wisdom of our own jouney that we, or those attuned to what may seem to be otherworldly, but only the wise spirit we were from the beginning? Familiars, are those we have progressed & always have been with? And for those that can travel within thier dreams, are merely the dream of our soul that has always been?

:blondmoment:

This will be up for debate becuase not a lot like to work within a compass, and the compass can have many different uses to many different paths so bear with me here, but in working with it this is my understanding of it - Say there is the "other world" and there is a library in the other world where everyone who ever worked with a specific path wrote down everything they tried and learned. And someone gives you a key to the door of the library and says "go read the books whenever you want to, the authors all hang out in the library and you can ask them anything you don't understand." That's a very gross simplification of it, but in my path working in a compass is a key, like the library key. When one raises a compas it is not merely their compass - they are "conjuring the library and its iinhabitants" and the time they spend in the compass is time spent in the library. Again - that is a gross simplification, if it were that easy everyone would do it once and then be adepts. The compass (some forms of it - it can and has been used for other things) creats a portal, an "other world." In the meeting of witches, all the witches who ever went there still exist there (as well as other places). There is no time so a meeting that took place 20 years ago or 100 years ago is still going on. And a meeting that will take place in the year 2043 is currently happening (hence knowledge of future events). Time does not exist there like it does here. So when you work it, you are contacting those who walked it before you and those who will walk it after you. They don't all *poof* magicaly appear in the compass with you and sit down and give you lectures and lessons, but they know you are there, they feel your attempts at contact and if they choose to they will respond. I have found response often comes days after, as I said in unusual impulses, suddenly knowing what to do, etc. There are other things and uses that a compass can be, but all compasses are a place between the worlds where we can contact others. Extremely knowledgable people who work in groups can actually create places in other worlds where their group will meet up after physical death (I believe). Now take a differnet path - ceremonial magicians, they create a circle to protect them from what they conjure up. And in their circle contact will be made by what and who THEY call (the walkers of their path) - like an "other world" cell phone. We can all use a cell phone (and this one surpasses physical time) but we don't all make the same phone calls to the same people. So actually neither use of the compass is incorrect, it is just a differnet "call" being made. A different "portal". I don't konw how else to explain it in this-world language. So we could contact our Self, or we could contact someone else, yet there is not so much of a separateness as we are working with energies that run through all things - each point on the compass is a road to that realm and each has a guardian at that gate. And whereas most see this as a flat, round depiction it is really like a ball - it is a sphere and emenations go out in every conceivable direction. I once met my granddaughter whilst she was in her mother's womb yet she was a young adult (and another time a child) and we spoke. So she existed in the compass and in the womb at the same time because there is no limit of physicality. She may never get into the craft in this life-time, who knows, but she has been in it before (or will be after) becuase she was there in the compass. And she came to me after a ritual, not during it, but she heard my "telephone call" in the compass. There are times when things actually happen within the compass but for me personally it is much more likely to happen in the days that follow. Is a compass necessary? No - but very few could work that path without it becuase of logical mind ties. The compass, the circle exists in all places, it never goes away but I believe it would be extremely hard to access it without ritual. It would usually happen in times of extreme trauma when the logical mind splits and I seriously would rather do a compass than experience that sort of truama.

I don't konw if familiars and guides are always with a person from one life to the next or not. The familiar that is the Shadow is, becuase that is the part of me that actually goes on. I am a physical manifestation of that Self, not it is a manifestation of me (and again that depends on one's definition of shadow). When I physically die all of this life will be forgotten in the physical realm, including the next incarnation, but if I can merge with the Shadow cognizantly then I gain it's kowledge within THIS physical life-time. Then I don't "die" becuase it is only the ego that dies, and I will have merged that with my "true self." My physical self is not a whole person, becuase my mirror image is in another realm, but merging with this, assuming this "other half" is part of the greater work and extremely important, and I would guess is a lifetime's worth of work (or more!!). What the Shadow knows I have the ability to know, but it can only push it in when I am open and my logical mind is quiet, hence it comes in states of dream, fantasy, impulse, trauma, compass, and yes also ethnogen use (although I do not suggest that in today's world). Gone are the days when teachers had knowledge of the rubbing of ointment and the safe amounts to use. And its use is no longer legal.

So some dreams are real and actual travels within the other landscapes. These scapes are all around us, within us and superimposed on and in our current physical world. But the spirits of plants and the access to portals are fading from contact with the human world. Places of power are pulled down and shopping malls are built. No one recognizes the life of plants, or the ancestors, or the spirits. We as a race are closing the portals at an alarming rate. So (IMHO) we have to recreate them and the only way that I know of to do that unless I am going to move to some undeveloped country is to work in the comnpass. And using the same physical space to do it builds up energy over time and can, depending on the use and amount of usage, again become a portal without the actual compass for people who are receptive and happen to walk upon that space.

The compass is in many ways an illusion, it dispells the greater illusion of the separation of the worlds and thereby creates entrances. But paradoxialy our belief in the separateness of worlds has created the reality, so it both is and is not an illusion. Ultimately we are all part of a "spark" or all have a part of that smae spark within us, in some beings much stronger than in others. So in that respect we are contacting a part of "us" but also not as we are at this time separate although there is no "seaparateness" for all who contain a bit of that spark. Sometimes I think psychology has (to an extent) recognized that but they have localized it to mal-adaptions and to this physical world. Most religions recognize this, too, but the more they try to define the original revelation the denser they make it and the farther from the truth it becomes. There hits a point where things can't be defined and can only be "known" and the logical mind fights that.

Don't know if that explanation made things better or worse, lol.

M

#8 Whiterose

Whiterose

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,747 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 04:10 PM

Yes on many points Michelle. Much of what you said resonates with me.

As for the otherworldly teachers, they come in many forms. Any spirit can be a teacher and there are many different methods of teaching, not all are cutsie and fun. I have experience with different types than those of others I know and they all have different teachers than each other. Some have animals, human type spirits, shadow self, angelic beings, and some have dark spirits. Each of us trods a different path and depending on the point in that path that we are at a given time and where we are going determines which beings catch an interest in us. With that said, all who I have known to have otherworldly teachers have been approached by these teachers, not the other way around. Consciously seeking an otherworldly teacher may not bring one, but it may signal you are beging to be ready for one. In my experience, some come depending on life events, some come if you are ready and open to learn, while some are with you from birth and you only needs to open your eyes and your mind to see them. Keep in mind there is no turning back. Once you see you can not unsee. I think this is the reason many people do not experience otherworldly teachers. They are not ready to strip down the conditioning of this world and build strength and courage to be able to receive truth.

#9 Blacksmith

Blacksmith

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 04:40 PM

Good posts Michele. As for myself I was born with natural abilities and by the age of 12 I was talking with the dead. I accepted being mounted by a spirit at the age of 13. At the age of 14 I began to use the power and knowledge I had attained from the spirits. I was raised in a Christian fundamentalist home, with limited folk magic lessons from my grandmothers. The spirits that I work with are the true catalyst of my journey into witchcraft. These are spirits that chose to work with me. I think this is an important point. There are many that have success in working with energies of varies spirits or deities, but it is much deeper when you know who actually has chose to work with you. If you are seeking the left hand there is a danger in working with evil spirits, the dead that lost their way. They can mislead you to think they are someone or something else. On this path it is essential to know exactly who you work with, this is the foundation of failure and disease or success and power. The left hand path is not for everyone though. In Africa the witch is someone born with abilities and power, a sorcerer is one who makes pacts with spirits, I fall into both categories. The teachers that I have worked under have helped me to understand much about the tools and the cosmology of the spirit world, but most of my teaching has been directly from the spirits I work with, this is true of any witch / sorcerer in the African and diaspora traditions. In the religious traditions the spirits also lead and teach, but most in these religions are not witches, they are simply the religious folk looking for guidance in everyday life. ( i.e., Vodou, Santeria, etc...) We can learn a great deal from the spirits we work with if done properly. Good topic.

-- Blacksmith

#10 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 02:17 AM

This will be up for debate becuase not a lot like to work within a compass, and the compass can have many different uses to many different paths so bear with me here, but in working with it this is my understanding of it . . .

Very good Witchy stuff, Michele, especially the part about the compass . . . :biggrin:

#11 Raina

Raina

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 03:59 AM

Michele's great post about the library and the compass rings very true for me. The library part reminds me of the Akashic Records.

I've gained some knowledge from different Otherworld sources - guides, animal guides but need to become more adept in this area. It hasn't exactly been easy for me, I have to work at it.

Raina

#12 Brigid

Brigid

Beyond The Bullshit...........yeah, even yours.......

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,283 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 01:57 PM

Michele's great post about the library and the compass rings very true for me. The library part reminds me of the Akashic Records.

I've gained some knowledge from different Otherworld sources - guides, animal guides but need to become more adept in this area. It hasn't exactly been easy for me, I have to work at it.

Raina

The Akashic Records are exactly what came to my mind as well while reading M's post!!

Wonderful post M, if there ever was a mind I would love to climb into it would be yours!! Posted Image

Ritualistic behaviour, though well-intentioned, possesses no significance or effectiveness unless its external prescription is matched by a personal, internal motivation of will and desire.

#13 Asile

Asile

• Seekers
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 03:39 AM

My head is spinning with all this new information. I have a lot to think about, and a lot to research. Thank you all for taking the time to explain things, and to spell it out so all of us can learn.

Asile

#14 Shadow Touch

Shadow Touch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 03:00 PM

Say there is the "other world" and there is a library in the other world where everyone who ever worked with a specific path wrote down everything they tried and learned. And someone gives you a key to the door of the library and says "go read the books whenever you want to, the authors all hang out in the library and you can ask them anything you don't understand." That's a very gross simplification of it, but in my path working in a compass is a key, like the library key. When one raises a compas it is not merely their compass - they are "conjuring the library and its iinhabitants" and the time they spend in the compass is time spent in the library. Again - that is a gross simplification, if it were that easy everyone would do it once and then be adepts. The compass (some forms of it - it can and has been used for other things) creats a portal, an "other world." In the meeting of witches, all the witches who ever went there still exist there (as well as other places).

M

It's always confirming to find key elements repeated (in one form or another) in the ways that people practice. In my path we think of the idea of a "library" or the akashic records as something more organic. We call it the bone memory of the earth, which we define (in part) as the absorbed memories all living things (absorbed into the earth through decomposition). This includes all witches who ever lived in the past. We believe this can be tapped. One method is through communication with plants and their spirits. Author Raven Grimassi wrote about some of these beliefs in his book Old World Witchcraft. But he's not the originator of these beliefs, nor does he claim to be.

So some dreams are real and actual travels within the other landscapes. These scapes are all around us, within us and superimposed on and in our current physical world. But the spirits of plants and the access to portals are fading from contact with the human world. Places of power are pulled down and shopping malls are built. No one recognizes the life of plants, or the ancestors, or the spirits. We as a race are closing the portals at an alarming rate. So (IMHO) we have to recreate them and the only way that I know of to do that unless I am going to move to some undeveloped country is to work in the comnpass. And using the same physical space to do it builds up energy over time and can, depending on the use and amount of usage, again become a portal without the actual compass for people who are receptive and happen to walk upon that space.

M

Fortunately there are those of us who work with the green world realm quite intimately through plants and their spirits. The portals to the other land are well maintained. Magic is the idea that anything is possible, and I think this is one of the reasons why it has survived through the generations. So I believe that we can and will turn the tide of destruction. I live in New England, and there are still vast forests here. The green world is vital and powerful, and the spirits of the land are opening up to those who know how to speak and listen. I think that's an encouraging thought.

A thorn-blooded witch of the Old Ways

#15 Heks

Heks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 12:10 AM

This will be up for debate becuase not a lot like to work within a compass, and the compass can have many different uses to many different paths so bear with me here, but in working with it this is my understanding of it - Say there is the "other world" and there is a library in the other world where everyone who ever worked with a specific path wrote down everything they tried and learned. And someone gives you a key to the door of the library and says "go read the books whenever you want to, the authors all hang out in the library and you can ask them anything you don't understand." That's a very gross simplification of it, but in my path working in a compass is a key, like the library key. When one raises a compas it is not merely their compass - they are "conjuring the library and its iinhabitants" and the time they spend in the compass is time spent in the library. Again - that is a gross simplification, if it were that easy everyone would do it once and then be adepts. The compass (some forms of it - it can and has been used for other things) creats a portal, an "other world." In the meeting of witches, all the witches who ever went there still exist there (as well as other places). There is no time so a meeting that took place 20 years ago or 100 years ago is still going on. And a meeting that will take place in the year 2043 is currently happening (hence knowledge of future events). Time does not exist there like it does here. So when you work it, you are contacting those who walked it before you and those who will walk it after you. They don't all *poof* magicaly appear in the compass with you and sit down and give you lectures and lessons, but they know you are there, they feel your attempts at contact and if they choose to they will respond. I have found response often comes days after, as I said in unusual impulses, suddenly knowing what to do, etc. There are other things and uses that a compass can be, but all compasses are a place between the worlds where we can contact others. Extremely knowledgable people who work in groups can actually create places in other worlds where their group will meet up after physical death (I believe). Now take a differnet path - ceremonial magicians, they create a circle to protect them from what they conjure up. And in their circle contact will be made by what and who THEY call (the walkers of their path) - like an "other world" cell phone. We can all use a cell phone (and this one surpasses physical time) but we don't all make the same phone calls to the same people. So actually neither use of the compass is incorrect, it is just a differnet "call" being made. A different "portal". I don't konw how else to explain it in this-world language. So we could contact our Self, or we could contact someone else, yet there is not so much of a separateness as we are working with energies that run through all things - each point on the compass is a road to that realm and each has a guardian at that gate. And whereas most see this as a flat, round depiction it is really like a ball - it is a sphere and emenations go out in every conceivable direction. I once met my granddaughter whilst she was in her mother's womb yet she was a young adult (and another time a child) and we spoke. So she existed in the compass and in the womb at the same time because there is no limit of physicality. She may never get into the craft in this life-time, who knows, but she has been in it before (or will be after) becuase she was there in the compass. And she came to me after a ritual, not during it, but she heard my "telephone call" in the compass. There are times when things actually happen within the compass but for me personally it is much more likely to happen in the days that follow. Is a compass necessary? No - but very few could work that path without it becuase of logical mind ties. The compass, the circle exists in all places, it never goes away but I believe it would be extremely hard to access it without ritual. It would usually happen in times of extreme trauma when the logical mind splits and I seriously would rather do a compass than experience that sort of truama.

I don't konw if familiars and guides are always with a person from one life to the next or not. The familiar that is the Shadow is, becuase that is the part of me that actually goes on. I am a physical manifestation of that Self, not it is a manifestation of me (and again that depends on one's definition of shadow). When I physically die all of this life will be forgotten in the physical realm, including the next incarnation, but if I can merge with the Shadow cognizantly then I gain it's kowledge within THIS physical life-time. Then I don't "die" becuase it is only the ego that dies, and I will have merged that with my "true self." My physical self is not a whole person, becuase my mirror image is in another realm, but merging with this, assuming this "other half" is part of the greater work and extremely important, and I would guess is a lifetime's worth of work (or more!!). What the Shadow knows I have the ability to know, but it can only push it in when I am open and my logical mind is quiet, hence it comes in states of dream, fantasy, impulse, trauma, compass, and yes also ethnogen use (although I do not suggest that in today's world). Gone are the days when teachers had knowledge of the rubbing of ointment and the safe amounts to use. And its use is no longer legal.

The compass is in many ways an illusion, it dispells the greater illusion of the separation of the worlds and thereby creates entrances. But paradoxialy our belief in the separateness of worlds has created the reality, so it both is and is not an illusion. Ultimately we are all part of a "spark" or all have a part of that smae spark within us, in some beings much stronger than in others. So in that respect we are contacting a part of "us" but also not as we are at this time separate although there is no "seaparateness" for all who contain a bit of that spark. Sometimes I think psychology has (to an extent) recognized that but they have localized it to mal-adaptions and to this physical world. Most religions recognize this, too, but the more they try to define the original revelation the denser they make it and the farther from the truth it becomes. There hits a point where things can't be defined and can only be "known" and the logical mind fights that.

Don't know if that explanation made things better or worse, lol.

M

Dear Michele,

I have reached the part in Gemma Gary's "Traditional Witchcraft - A Cornish Book of Ways" where she talks about the Compass.
I must say your explanations are absolutely clear and very understandable. Thank you for posting this on the part of the forum which is accessible to all!
I wonder if you shouldn't write a book yourself? If you have done so already, I'd like to buy it!

I was also wondering whether I got the above correctly: one could create a portal in one's own home by drawing a compass on the same spot time and time again?

Kind regs,

Heks Posted Image

"One's own house, though small, is better,
For there thou art the master.
It makes a man's heart bleed to ask
for a midday meal at the house of another."

(35 Havamal, Edda)

#16 Whiterose

Whiterose

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,747 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 09:35 PM

I was also wondering whether I got the above correctly: one could create a portal in one's own home by drawing a compass on the same spot time and time again?

It only takes once if done correctly as that is the purpose of a compass. It will be easier and more potent if you use the same spot every time as the energy (if allowed) lingers in that area.

#17 Scott

Scott

Irritatingly Thoughtful

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 788 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 11:39 AM

Greetings Marabet

Some thoughts follow:

I do believe that one can be taught their craft by otherworldly teachers.

I'd agree whole heartedly.

By this I mean an entity (or entities) who purposefully are teaching someone their craft.

And those who do not do so expressly for that matter! The best learning is being in it afterall. I have been taught many things and many of them were not "Lessons" just simply imparted because I was paying attention.

Are those "born witches" born with this inherent knowledge

I'd say more to the point that some are born with the possibility in them. Some are not. Sounds harsh but that is teh simplest I can put it. Not born witches but most certainly born with the "something" in them.

*or* is it possible they have an otherworldly teacher from birth?

It is my experience to agree with the old Zohar quote (is it the Zohar? I am sure a schol;ar will correct me if not!) implies something like the fact that we should be grateful for blindness because men are always surrounded by others without number and seeing them would make us mad. Many children are clouded by all manner of things some useful and many worth getting rid of nice and quick if you care for them ...

I ask this because I have come across more than a few people that have expressed a sort of knowledge from birth.

You shoudl look into arguments about Witch Blood and ignore the idea that there is an answer. There is a something that is teh blood but not the blood, in but not the blood and so on ... if it is there then the contact is possible and much slotted in as a matter of course and most just lose it because it is not needed over their childhoods I find.

There could be many explanations for this, and it stands to reason to me that an otherworldly teacher could be one.

It is a part of it most certainly I'd say ...

Is this a part of the function of a familiar? Or, at least, could it be? Or is a familiar and a teacher two separate things? (if you can't tell I am still trying to wrap my brain around familiars)

Depends to what extent the familiar is and in what way this term is being used. A Familiar spirit in the vernacular Familiar that teaches well why not? For my part my familiars have most certainly told me things and taught me things but frankly I'd be more inclined to refer to them as co conspiritors than give them the levearge of implied airs and graces of being "Teachers" lol

Do you believe these teachers come to you

They can ... I tend to view it not so much as gifts and specialness and more that Jam smells nice and brings flies tho ... (don't mean that to sound derogatory ...)

or that it is possible (maybe even mandatory) to seek them out?

Possible? Most certainly! Mandatory? No way ... not mandatory to have any such thing ... a girl with a switch need not be a martial artist to bring a man down with it ... *Shrugs and grins* You can be a witch just doing hwat is needed to get your own way and make no mistake. It can of course be a hell of a lot easier with help BUT .. well you get what I am saying I am sure ...

Taking into account my first question I don't think they must be sought out but that makes me wonder why some are seemingly just born with one/one finds them in time and why others have to go looking.

I'd say what I was told about this and that is "that some have that something in'em and that something calls out and draws other things near - ain't no more mysterious than that and that's enough for anyone!" *BG*

My thought is that in some way those who are drawn out of this world and asked to straddle the divide have to have some form of otherworldly assistance whether or not they can qualify that presence. It's just too hard for me to believe that we can be born or just wake up one day with this knowledge/push towards this path of our own accord without any prior knowledge of it. It'd be like Yo-Yo Ma waking up one morning having never seen or heard a cello deciding he was going to find one and play Twinkle Twinkle Little Star on it. How could that possibly just happen?

All of which is fair comment but for my own I'd say that is making it all a bit more "special and la de da" than needs be ... *G* Don't get me wrong some days I feel MIH TEE special .. but most days I don't see it as any more important than the simple things like coffee wirin you up in the morning or a sweet birds call doing teh same thing in a different way.

What are your personal experiences with this? (if you don't mind sharing, of course) And, as always, I would love to hear your thoughts.

Well there's been some of them .. hopefully food for thought.

Subsisto

Scott

New Me! Now with added incomprehensibilityfullness for your convenience!

#18 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 10:47 PM

I like Scott's response.

#19 moonthorn

moonthorn

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 06:07 AM

Who among us knows the answers?

I suppose I am in this camp of Otherworld Travellers. (Dreams are also important!)

I dance for magic.

I have travelled to the Otherworld many times - a drum helps take me there. 

The first time, I came to the Other side on a shore at nighttime. The water was black but the stars were bright. An acacia tree (at least it resembled an acacia) was silhouetted in the distance when lightning flashed.

A white mare came to me. I flew alongside her as we ran up the coast. 

I only came this first time to "visit", but on later journeys, I was shown much, & joined by other guides.

Thank you for a fantastic topic. I will watch it.

Who knows what we don't know?

#20 Ravenshaw

Ravenshaw

Life is good

• Moderators
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 09 April 2017 - 05:16 AM

Bump

RSKHFMY