Fall recipes

Whiterose

Ok, so I have searched through the food threads and haven't found a thread purely dedicated to fall seasonal recipes. There are some good ones on here already but does anyone have any good fall recipes to share? Thanksgiving is comming up for us Americans and I know alot of families have their own recipes for the big feast. Also, some people are getting ready for Halloween parties and other family get togethers. I am feeling the seasonal change and want to create the fall atmosphere in the house with my cooking. So, anyone want to share?

I always cook sweet potatoes for special fall dinners. Instead of the typical sweet potato pie, I roast them. I don't really do measurements, so anyone using this will have to work out the amounts to your own taste.

Some sweet potatoes, peeled and chunked.

A few lemons.

Some honey (preferably raw and local ;) )

Sea Salt

Fresh cracked black pepper.

Put the potatoes in a large bowl. Juice the lemons and add the juice and honey, and some sea salt and black pepper. Be generous with the juice, honey, salt and pepper. Put a lid on the bowl and shake the potatoes until they're well coated. Dump them into a roasting pan and roast at 400 degrees. Turn them when you check them, and let them cook until they're done. Add more sea salt and pepper before serving if necessary.

Like I said, I don't really do measurements and timing! lol They always turn out pretty good though, when one of my girlfriends was pregnant I made these for her every week. :)

I always cook sweet potatoes for special fall dinners. Instead of the typical sweet potato pie, I roast them. I don't really do measurements, so anyone using this will have to work out the amounts to your own taste.

Some sweet potatoes, peeled and chunked.

A few lemons.

Some honey (preferably raw and local ;) )

Sea Salt

Fresh cracked black pepper.

Put the potatoes in a large bowl. Juice the lemons and add the juice and honey, and some sea salt and black pepper. Be generous with the juice, honey, salt and pepper. Put a lid on the bowl and shake the potatoes until they're well coated. Dump them into a roasting pan and roast at 400 degrees. Turn them when you check them, and let them cook until they're done. Add more sea salt and pepper before serving if necessary.

Like I said, I don't really do measurements and timing! lol They always turn out pretty good though, when one of my girlfriends was pregnant I made these for her every week. :)

That sounds really good. I will try these tomorrow. Thanks!

One recipe that mom concocted and used to make for thanksgiving is a version of tuna mac salad. This is an awesome tangy salad that is great as a side dish or all by itself.

You need:

1 lb of elbow macaroni

Salad dressing (miracle whip) about 2 tbsps

Catalina or french dressing

pepper

1 can of tuna

You boil the macaroni and drain it. Put it in a large bowl and add in the tuna (drained), the salad dressing and only a few squirts of the french dressing. Add however much pepper you want and stir all together. It should be a pasty consistancey with a light pinkish orange color. (If it is too orange, you put in too much french dressing so add more miracle whip.) This makes a large bowl that will feed several people. It will keep a few days but you will need to add more dressing as it has a tendancy to dry out a little bit. Dont try this with chicken instead of tuna...it is gross and goes rancid quickly. lol. My younger brothers and my husband pig out on this when ever my mom or I make it. Its pretty tasty! Like Aloe though, I always eyeball it instead of using exact measurements lol.

Downeast Maine pumpkin bread (got this from allrecipes, it's so good I buy extra cans of pumpkin so I can have it all year)

• 1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin puree
    • 4 eggs
    • 1 cup vegetable oil
    • 2/3 cup water
    • 3 cups white sugar (I use 2 - 2 1/2 cups of brown sugar instead)
    • 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
    • 2 teaspoons baking soda
    • 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
    • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    • 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
    • 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
    • 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger

• Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour three 7x3 inch loaf pans.
    • In a large bowl, mix together pumpkin puree, eggs, oil, water and sugar until well blended. In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and ginger. Stir the dry ingredients into the pumpkin mixture until just blended. Pour into the prepared pans.
    • Bake for about 50 minutes in the preheated oven. Loaves are done when toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.

[*] [*]

Edited by Meghan

Downeast Maine pumpkin bread (got this from allrecipes, it's so good I buy extra cans of pumpkin so I can have it all year)

• 1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin puree
    • 4 eggs
    • 1 cup vegetable oil
    • 2/3 cup water
    • 3 cups white sugar (I use 2 - 2 1/2 cups of brown sugar instead)
    • 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
    • 2 teaspoons baking soda
    • 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
    • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    • 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
    • 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
    • 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger

• Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour three 7x3 inch loaf pans.
    • In a large bowl, mix together pumpkin puree, eggs, oil, water and sugar until well blended. In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and ginger. Stir the dry ingredients into the pumpkin mixture until just blended. Pour into the prepared pans.
    • Bake for about 50 minutes in the preheated oven. Loaves are done when toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.

[*][*]

Ooooo I have all the stuff for that on hand.....hmm. Might have to make that.

My mother in law gave me this recipe out of one of her new cookbooks. It is Aunt Bee's Mayberry Cookbook. It is for Hot Apple Cider.

This makes two quarts.

-2 quarts of apple juice

-1/3 cup of firmly packed brown sugar

-(1) 3inch stick of cinnamon

-1 teaspoon of whole cloves

-A dash of salt

Combine all ingridients in a large saucepan. Mix well and simmer for a few minutes and serve.

My mother in law gave me this recipe out of one of her new cookbooks. It is Aunt Bee's Mayberry Cookbook. It is for Hot Apple Cider.

This makes two quarts.

-2 quarts of apple juice

-1/3 cup of firmly packed brown sugar

-(1) 3inch stick of cinnamon

-1 teaspoon of whole cloves

-A dash of salt

Combine all ingridients in a large saucepan. Mix well and simmer for a few minutes and serve.

Ok, made this the other night and hubby loved it. Only thing though is I put in the cinnamon whole and I strained it before serving. The cinnamon taste is still really good with the whole stick put in. Also, this amount of cloves is way too much for me as I have a sensitivity to it so I will half the amount next time. I added more sugar... definately don't add more sugar. It makes it wicked sweet, lol. If you do, just add more apple juice and it works out if it is too sweet. I definately like it better cold than hot, but it taste good either way. Enjoy!

Here is one for Apple Butter Pork Chops that I came up with a few years ago.

Porkchops

One jar of applebutter

Basting brush

Baking dish or sheet

Preheat the oven to either 375 degrees F. You get your porkchops and wash them off. Place them in the pan and smother them with apple butter as if it were BBQ sauce. Be generous! Place them in the oven to bake for 35-40 mins. They are done when the apple butter has carmelized, the juices run clear and the inside is white. This tastes WONDERFUL!

• 2 weeks later...

A few of my favorite Autumn recipes..

Spicy Pumpkin Soup Recipe

Ingredients

4 Tbsp unsalted butter

2 medium yellow onions, chopped

2 teaspoons minced garlic

1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper

2 teaspoons curry powder

1/2 teaspoon ground coriander

Pinch ground cayenne pepper (optional)

3 (15 oz) cans 100 percent pumpkin or 6 cups of chopped roasted pumpkin*

5 cups of chicken broth (or vegetable broth for vegetarian option)**

2 cups of milk

1/2 cup brown sugar

1/2 cup heavy cream

*To make pumpkin purée, cut a sugar pumpkin in half, scoop out the seeds and stringy stuff, lie face down on a tin-foil lined baking pan. Bake at 350°F until soft, about 45 min to an hour. Cool, scoop out the flesh. Freeze whatever you don't use for future use.

1 Melt butter in a 4-quart saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onions and garlic and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 4 minutes. Add spices and stir for a minute more.

2 Add pumpkin and 5 cups of chicken broth; blend well. Bring to a boil and reduce heat, simmer for 10 to 15 minutes.

3 Transfer soup, in batches, to a blender or food processor. Cover tightly and blend until smooth. Return soup to saucepan.

4 With the soup on low heat, add brown sugar and mix. Slowly add milk while stirring to incorporate. Add cream. Adjust seasonings to taste. If a little too spicy, add more cream to cool it down. You might want to add a teaspoon of salt.

Sprinkle the top with toasted pumpkin seeds.

Yams with Spiced Sorghum Butter

1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature

9 tablespoonssorghum syrup* or 1/2 cup clover honey plus 1 tablespoon robust-flavored (dark) molasses

1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1/2 teaspoon ground cloves

Large pinch of cayenne pepper

8 10- to 11-ounce yams

Beat butter, sorghum syrup, cinnamon, cloves and cayenne in medium bowl to blend; season with salt. (Can be prepared 5 days ahead. Cover and refrigerate. Bring mixture to room temperature before using.)

Preheat oven to 350°F. Rinse potatoes; pat dry. Pierce each several times with fork; place on baking sheet. Bake potatoes until tender, about 1 hour.

Cut top of each potato lengthwise; press in ends to open top. Spoon some sorghum butter into opening of each potato and serve.

Maple Ginger Roasted Root Vegetables

Ingredients

5 medium parsnips, peeled and sliced

5 small carrots, sliced

3 medium turnips, peeled and cubed

1 large sweet potato, peeled and cubed

1 small rutabaga, peeled and cubed

1 large sweet onion, cut into wedges

1 small red onion, cut into wedges

2 tablespoons olive oil

1 tablespoon minced fresh gingerroot

1 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon pepper

1 cup maple syrup

Directions

Place the first seven ingredients in a large resealable plastic bag; add the oil, ginger, salt and pepper. Seal bag and shake to coat. Arrange vegetables in a single layer in two 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pans coated with cooking spray.

Bake, uncovered, at 425° for 25 minutes, stirring once. Drizzle with syrup. Bake 20-25 minutes longer or until vegetables are tender, stirring once

Hanger Steak with Red Wine and Mushroom Sauce

3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided

12 ounces assorted mushrooms, torn or cut into large pieces

Kosher salt, freshly ground pepper

4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, divided

1 1/2-pound hanger steak, trimmed, pounded to 1/2" thickness

Coarsely cracked black pepper

3 garlic cloves, lightly crushed

1 6" sprig rosemary

1 cup dry red wine

3/4 cup low-salt chicken stock

2 tablespoons chopped fresh tarragon

Preparation

Heat 2 Tbsp. oil in a large heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms; cook, stirring occasionally, until soft and golden, about 7 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Transfer to a bowl; set aside.

Melt 1 Tbsp. butter with remaining 1 Tbsp. oil in same skillet over medium heat. Season steak with salt and cracked pepper. Add steak, garlic, and rosemary to skillet. Cook about 3 minutes per side for medium-rare. Transfer to a cutting board. Let rest while preparing sauce.

Discard garlic and rosemary from skillet. Pour off all but 1 Tbsp. fat. Add wine; cook, stirring up bits, until reduced to 3/4 cup, about 3 minutes. Strain; return liquid to skillet. Stir in stock; bring to a boil. Simmer until reduced to 1/2 cup, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat; Whisk in 3 Tbsp. butter. Stir in mushrooms and 1 Tbsp. tarragon. Season with salt and pepper.

Spoon mushroom mixture onto plates. Thinly slice steak; serve over mushrooms. Garnish with remaining 1 Tbsp. tarragon.

• 2 weeks later...

well, I am not the greatest cook by any measure...lol..but this one is really popular at my house in the fall. It comes from "Best Loved Slow Cooker recipes" and is, of course, a crock pot recipe

German Potato Soup

1 pnd potatoes

4 cups beef broth

1 onion, chopped

1 leek, trimmed and diced

2 carrots, peeled and diced

1 cup chopped cabbage

1/4 cup chopped parsley

1 bay leaf

2 tsps black pepper

1 tsp salt

1/2 tsp caraway seed

1/4 tsp ground nutmeg

1/2 cup sour cream

1 pnd bacon, cooked and diced <we use turkey bacon>

Combine potatoes, broth, onion, leek, carrots, cabbage, and parsley in your slow cooker. Stir in seasonings. Cover and cook on low 8 to 10 hrs or on high 4-5 hrs. Remove and discard bay leaf. Using a slotted spoon remove potatoes and mash. Combine potatoes with sour cream. Return to slow cooker and stir. Stir in bacon pieces. Serve. makes 6-8 servings

~Anara

• 4 weeks later...

This is a seasonal favorite in my house:

Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Muffins

1 2/3 cup flour 1 cup pumpkin

3/4 cup sugar 2 eggs, beaten

1T pumpkin pie spice 1/2 cup butter, melted

1 t baking soda 1 cup chocolate chips

1/4 t baking powder

1/4 t salt

In a large bowl, thoroughly mix all ingredients in the first column. In a separate bowl, whisk until blended, the pumpkin, eggs & butter. Stir in chocolate chips. Pour over dry ingredients and fold until just moistened. Spoon into greased muffin cups.

Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes. Makes about 14 muffins.

• 2 weeks later...

I think the smell of cinnamon is very evocative of fall. My mother used to make:

Cinnamon Swirl Bundt Cake

This pound cake recipe is made with a yellow cake mix and cinnamon and sour cream and baked in a bundt pan.

Ingredients:

• 1 box butter cake mix, (18oz)
  • 3/4 cup vegetable oil
  • 1 cup sour cream
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 4 eggs, lightly beaten
  • Cinnamon-sugar mix:
  • 3 tablespoons sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

Preparation:

Combine cake mix, oil, sour cream, sugar, and eggs. Pour half the batter into a greased and floured bundt pan. Sprinkle the cinnamon sugar mixture on the batter. Add remaining batter mixture. Bake for 50 to 60 minutes at 325 degrees. If desired, you can make a simple powdered sugar glaze to drizzle over the cake, and sprinkle that with more cinnamon sugar before it sets.

I love to cook, but I realized as I was trying to think of something to post here that all of my fall recipes are super simple. Like, ridiculously simple. Here's a couple. They are my own, so pardon the lack of professionalism in how they are written.

Spiced Pears

Bosc pears, cubed, with the seeds taken out. I leave the skins on.

Put in a pot, and fill half way with water

cinnamon to taste

Bring pears to a boil. Simmer until soft,then reduce the liquid until you get a nice, saucy consistency.

Pork and apples

--------------------

* Chop up enough pork into cubes to feed your family, then brown it in a pan. When finished, set to the side.

* In the pan that you used to brown the meat, cook chopped up onions until they start to carmel. You want them nice and brown, but still firm enough so that they don't fall to pieces during the rest of the cooking. If you think you've overdone them, take them out and then add them back in at the end.Salt lightly while they are cooking. I usually use one medium sized onion per person.

* Put the pork back into the pan. Add crushed garlic, pepper, some salt.

* Add chopped mushrooms and carrots. I use 8oz mushrooms per person (I love mushrooms) and a handful of baby baby carrots per person.

* Add some apple cider.... about a cup or so.... and a bay leaf. The more juice you add, the richer it will taste, but the longer you will have to wait for the liquid to reduce in the later step.

* Cook with the cover on until the pork is cooked through, then add chopped up apples. I use one honey crisp apple per person. The apples will cook super fast, so just mix them in, and then reduce the sauce... don't put the lid back on. My husband likes it when I add brown sugar, but I'm happy without it.... it just depends on how sweet you like it.

Okay, here's a simple one. Fried apples.

Peel and slice some apples. Several varieties makes it nicer. Heat a frying pan and add some butter. Add the apples to the butter in the pan and cook over a med heat until they are done. Add some sugar if desired, some cinnamon if that grabs you. The apples will exude some juice which will thicken up as the apples cook, especially if you've included a couple of eating apples, which go mushy when cooked.

Variation--this is very old fashioned. Fried apples and onions.

Follow above recipe, but before adding apples, fry some onions in the butter. They are nice when sliced in rings. Then add the apples and cook until done. It's best to omit the cinnamon for this one. It makes a great side dish with, say, roast pork or pork chops, etc.

• 2 months later...

Okay, here's a simple one. Fried apples.

Peel and slice some apples. Several varieties makes it nicer. Heat a frying pan and add some butter. Add the apples to the butter in the pan and cook over a med heat until they are done. Add some sugar if desired, some cinnamon if that grabs you. The apples will exude some juice which will thicken up as the apples cook, especially if you've included a couple of eating apples, which go mushy when cooked.

Variation--this is very old fashioned. Fried apples and onions.

Follow above recipe, but before adding apples, fry some onions in the butter. They are nice when sliced in rings. Then add the apples and cook until done. It's best to omit the cinnamon for this one. It makes a great side dish with, say, roast pork or pork chops, etc.

I hadn't seen this one. We actually made this a few weeks ago because we had to eat up our apples. They go very nice with steak also. Very nice Rowan!

• 7 months later...

Like Aloe, I'm not big on measurements, but here's my Sweet Potato Chili recipe. It's a vegan recipe, but you could throw in some ground beef if that floats your boat.

Black beans probably about 2-3 cups depending on how much you want to make (dry)

Sweet potatoes peeled and chopped 2-3 large

Habanero peppers chopped (2-5 depending on how spicy you like it. The sweet potatoes will mellow the heat considerably)

Onion chopped 1 medium

Red bell peppers chopped 2 medium

Carrots chopped 3 medium

15 oz can tomatoes

Black pepper

Salt

Chili powder

Sage

Liquid smoke

Little olive oil for good fat

Throw all the ingredient in a crock pot. Cook until sweet potatoes and carrots... melt? I guess...? They mash out. Whatever.... It's tasty and wonderful and fall!

I tend to change recipies lol, can't help it either my husband or kids are allergic to something (bell peppers) they are in everything but I cant use them or milk so I take several recipies and combine them together lol. Here's my chicken potato soup, I'm not much on actual measurements either so f you want more of something just do it! ingredients

Three large skinless boneless chicken breast

2 large red onions ( any color will work but I like red)

5-6 cups cubed potatoes not to thin

2 carrots diced

2 stalks celery sliced

4 cans or two boxes chicken broth

2 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic

1 cup butterSalt as needed

1 teaspoon pepper

2 teaspoons ittalian seasoning

1 teaspoon tyme

1/2 teaspoon sage

1 teaspoon basil

1/2 teaspoon oregano

3/4 cup milk if desired

cube and grill skinless boneless chicken breast, actually it just needs to be cooked chicken but I like the texture of grilled. I season with some of the ittalian seasoning , sage, thyme and a teaspoon minced garlic. Set aside.

In a large pot, I use this pot to grill the chicken and simply take the chicken out and keep the leavings for seasoning .

on medium heat Add diced red onions and a 1/2 cup butter simmer untill mostly clear

Add 1 1/2 teaspoon minced garlicAdd potatoes 1 cup at a time and anouther half cup butter stirring untill coated

Start adding chicken stock 1 cup at a time adding more as it absorbes add carrots and celery.Continue adding chicken stock as it reduces add water if needed

Add spices and chicken stir in an put on lid turn down to simmer. Cook untill potatoes are done you can leave on simmer for hours just remember to add water as needed.

Right before its done I sometimes add a cup of milk to make it extra creamy.

This is a super savory soup/stew and is wounderfull on those cold fall or winter evenings

Edited by Athena

Here is my take on Cottage Pie

I used 3lb of ground beef

1 parsnip, diced

1 onion, diced

some minced garlic

about 4-5 carrots,diced

a small bag of frozen peas

1 bottle of pumpkin beer

some beef broth

a few sprigs of fresh thyme

Mashed potatoes

Salt and pepper

Butter

flour

and paprika or seasoned salt (which is what I had on hand at the time)

I sauted the parsnip, carrots, onion, and garlic seasoned with S&P and thyme while cooking the beef in a separate pan. Add a few TBL of butter to melt them the same amount of flour to make a rue, let it cook for a about a minute or 2 and then deglaze the pan with beer and broth, add in the peas, being careful to not mash them. I used more beer then the broth. Make it a thick sauce, then add in the meat and mix together. Place meat/veggie mixture in a deep dish and top with mashed potatoes and sprinkle with paprika or seasoned salt and butter and bake at 350 intil heated through and bubbly.

The pumpkin beer really made this taste like fall.

As the apples come ripe a great and easy Fall recipe is stewed apples. Not only are they delicious they make the whole house smell like Fall.

Peel, core, and chunk-up 6 to 8 apples of your choice. I'm partial to Granny Smiths.

1 teaspoon lemon juice

1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

1/4 teaspoon nutmeg

1/8 teaspoon cloves (or just use 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon instead of nutmeg and cloves)

Sugar to taste

Place all ingredients in a 4-quart pan add water half way up the apples. Cook on medium until they reach your desired consistency, from chunky to almost applesauce.

Edited by Enodia

• 2 weeks later...

I'll have to dig out some of my recipes and come back to this. Fall is typically small game and goose time, and we pull the last of our taters out of the ground, as well as cabbages, kale, and brussels sprouts. We had toad in the hole last night, complete with bangers and yorkshire pudding. *drool* the night before it was squirrel in the crockpot.