Photo
- - - - -

Spirits Craft

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
47 replies to this topic

#21 CelticGypsy

CelticGypsy

Crazy NastyAss Honey Badger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,017 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 05:14 PM

Wonderful Sara, I'm still drawn to the Crone in your series called the Morrigu. Would/Could you offer the reasoning behind how you've conncected her to the Bull ? I'm very curious. lol. Thank you.

Regards,
Gypsy

" The last thing you wanted a Witch to do is get bored and start making her own amusements, because Witches sometimes have erratically famous ideas about what was amusing "

Terry Pratchett Legends 1 

#22 sarasuperid

sarasuperid

Wild Witch of the West

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,425 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 07:00 PM

Wonderful Sara, I'm still drawn to the Crone in your series called the Morrigu. Would/Could you offer the reasoning behind how you've conncected her to the Bull ? I'm very curious. lol. Thank you.

Regards,
Gypsy

Oh that is not a bull, that is a cow. The Morrigan was injured after a fight with Cuchulain in which she was shape shifted into a young cow (heifer). Then later, when she was in a hag form, she tricked Cuchulain into healing her, by milking a cow and offering him milk. For each drink of milk she gave him, he healed of her injuries from the fight.

I guess I didn't think about it consciously, but I doubt the Morrigan would have shape shifted into a cow whose horns had been cut off. Especially since she was shape shifting for a battle.

I can't off the top of my head think of any crones specifically connected to cows, but many goddesses are, like Boann and Hathor.

"A Craft, a calling, a set of Keys to unlock a particular cosmology that is borne, and born, in the blood of the practitioner, and sets the Work to be done with which one may commune with those who hold the patterns and keys of the life of the practitioner and hir stream. The Work is to be done, and we are to do it." --Aiseling the Bard

#23 CelticGypsy

CelticGypsy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,017 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 07:48 PM

Oh that is not a bull, that is a cow. The Morrigan was injured after a fight with Cuchulain in which she was shape shifted into a young cow (heifer). Then later, when she was in a hag form, she tricked Cuchulain into healing her, by milking a cow and offering him milk. For each drink of milk she gave him, he healed of her injuries from the fight.

I guess I didn't think about it consciously, but I doubt the Morrigan would have shape shifted into a cow whose horns had been cut off. Especially since she was shape shifting for a battle.

I can't off the top of my head think of any crones specifically connected to cows, but many goddesses are, like Boann and Hathor.

Thank you for your explaination, as I was a bit confused, yet I liked my enlightenment regarding the confusion. lol, if that makes sense.
I have always been drawn the masculine Bull, in the Bovine World. lol !

I'm still gonna endulge myself with your artwork, with my eye (s) of appreciation, and just see that Bovine with your Crone, as a Bull. lol !

Regards,
Gypsy

" The last thing you wanted a Witch to do is get bored and start making her own amusements, because Witches sometimes have erratically famous ideas about what was amusing "

#24 Abhainn

Abhainn

Lady Vagabond

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 09:03 PM

Great stuff, Sara!!
~ Abhainn

"Run mad as often as you choose; but do not faint."
hagstones.blogspot.com

#25 sarasuperid

sarasuperid

Wild Witch of the West

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,425 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 05:45 AM

A certain fallen angel

Attached Files

"A Craft, a calling, a set of Keys to unlock a particular cosmology that is borne, and born, in the blood of the practitioner, and sets the Work to be done with which one may commune with those who hold the patterns and keys of the life of the practitioner and hir stream. The Work is to be done, and we are to do it." --Aiseling the Bard

#26 RavenFlyer

RavenFlyer

Backwoods Witch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,563 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 06:02 AM

A certain fallen angel

It's Jesus!

Oh wait...nevermind.

Sorry I'm in a punchy mood!

My ETSY store:

Appalachian Witchery http://www.etsy.com/...lachianWitchery

#27 sarasuperid

sarasuperid

Wild Witch of the West

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,425 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 06:03 AM

Another Venus very naked.

Attached Files

#28 Aloe

Aloe

ridge running Ozark banshee..

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,382 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 12:29 PM

A certain fallen angel

Awesome!

"The people who live in the Ozark country of Missouri and Arkansas were, until very recently, the most deliberately unprogressive people in the United States. Descended from pioneers who came West from the Southern Appalachians at the beginning of the nineteenth century, they made little contact with the outer world for more than a hundred years. They seem like foreigners to the average urban American, but nearly all of them come of British stock, and many families have lived in America since colonial days. Their material heirlooms are few, but like all isolated illiterates they have clung to the old songs and obsolete sayings and outworn customs of their ancestors." Ozark Magic and Folklore

#29 sarasuperid

sarasuperid

Wild Witch of the West

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,425 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 10:44 PM

A drawing I did a while ago for a witch journal that never got off the ground.

Attached Files

#30 Aurelian

Aurelian

The Devils Enabler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,641 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 10:55 PM

That's brilliant Sara, you're talented--I'm jealous, I can't draw a straight line lol

"The truth about the world, he said, is that anything is possible. Had you not seen it from birth and thereby bled it of its strangeness it would appear to you for what it is, a hat trick in a medicine show, a fevered dream, a trance bepopulate with chimeras having neither analogue nor precedent, an itinerant carnival, a migratory tentshow whose ultimate destination after many a pitch in many a mudded field is unspeakable and calamitous beyond reckoning."  - Cormac McCarthy

#31 sarasuperid

sarasuperid

Wild Witch of the West

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,425 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 11:16 PM

That's brilliant Sara, you're talented--I'm jealous, I can't draw a straight line lol

Ha ha Aurelian, not that its what you really meant, but the only even close to straight lines in my picture are in the R's in my name.

There is a bit of a secret to drawing, most of us use (not all). Having a model or something in front of you to use as a reference (even a photo or magazine picture). For this painting I have these awful plastic gray 12 inch dolls that are poseable . Its not that my drawing was to look just like the model, but it helps get proportions, etc. (http://www.dickblick...tomical-models/)

Although the original vision for this image was when I was crossing the hedge, I still sat down with that model thing to help guide my drawing. There are millions of other tricks, but although my drawing looks nothing like the doll, it does look like a woman, so I call that a success.

#32 Aurelian

Aurelian

The Devils Enabler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,641 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 11:31 PM

Ha ha Aurelian, not that its what you really meant, but the only even close to straight lines in my picture are in the R's in my name.

There is a bit of a secret to drawing, most of us use (not all). Having a model or something in front of you to use as a reference (even a photo or magazine picture). For this painting I have these awful plastic gray 12 inch dolls that are poseable . Its not that my drawing was to look just like the model, but it helps get proportions, etc. (http://www.dickblick...tomical-models/)

Although the original vision for this image was when I was crossing the hedge, I still sat down with that model thing to help guide my drawing. There are millions of other tricks, but although my drawing looks nothing like the doll, it does look like a woman, so I call that a success.

I am capable of batik; that's it, do a pattern, fill in the blanks. I've taken the classes, I am hopeless. I can do freehand molecules but that is in no way art.

I've been trying to make corn dollies, even these look like they were woven by a spider on DMT LOL.

Edited by Aurelian, 10 August 2012 - 11:33 PM.

"The truth about the world, he said, is that anything is possible. Had you not seen it from birth and thereby bled it of its strangeness it would appear to you for what it is, a hat trick in a medicine show, a fevered dream, a trance bepopulate with chimeras having neither analogue nor precedent, an itinerant carnival, a migratory tentshow whose ultimate destination after many a pitch in many a mudded field is unspeakable and calamitous beyond reckoning."  - Cormac McCarthy

#33 Anara

Anara

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,150 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 02:29 PM

A drawing I did a while ago for a witch journal that never got off the ground.

Like it! Your art always has really great form.

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you will always long to return." ~ Leonardo Da Vinci

#34 Lilikate

Lilikate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 04:04 PM

*smiles* i do enjoy me some Hekate!
Nice work, Sara.

I adore simple pleasures. They are the last refuge of the complex.

-Oscar Wilde

#35 burdock

burdock

• Seekers
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 07:25 PM

Cool work!
"I'm going to Hagrid's."

#36 Aurelia

Aurelia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 11:32 PM

Lovely work, Sara. You're definitely very talented!

#37 sarasuperid

sarasuperid

Wild Witch of the West

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,425 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 06:21 PM

New art! I made this crow magic altar kit for my shop. But I thought you all would like to see what I have been up to. I am busy making all sorts of crow themed art!

Attached Files

#38 Aloe

Aloe

ridge running Ozark banshee..

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,382 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 07:00 PM

Love it!

"The people who live in the Ozark country of Missouri and Arkansas were, until very recently, the most deliberately unprogressive people in the United States. Descended from pioneers who came West from the Southern Appalachians at the beginning of the nineteenth century, they made little contact with the outer world for more than a hundred years. They seem like foreigners to the average urban American, but nearly all of them come of British stock, and many families have lived in America since colonial days. Their material heirlooms are few, but like all isolated illiterates they have clung to the old songs and obsolete sayings and outworn customs of their ancestors." Ozark Magic and Folklore

#39 Whiterose

Whiterose

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,713 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 08:52 PM

I love the cross.  I have used something similar in the past.  Nice job. 

#40 CelticGypsy

CelticGypsy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,017 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 09:01 PM

Oh lovely !  I'm glad you're keeping busy cultivating your talent and Path, so good to see you about, as well. :)

Regards,

Gypsy