Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Learning Through Intuition

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
85 replies to this topic

#41 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 11:58 AM

...but you can't circulate energy with a book or a web page. You can't call the spirits together with a book...
-- Blacksmith

A bit Ot but this brought to mind something very interesting that happened to me - Some people on here had a specific interest in certain types and ways of working and for a very brief period I opened a website specifically for the very small group of us to meet up once a week and spend a 2 to 3 hour session in the chat going over and discussion and findings, and in between we were working on specific types of "workings" and comparing notes etc., in the weekly chat. One thing that I noticed that happened rather inadvertently was that during all this a couple of us developed some "group mind" symptoms. I found this amazing as some of us were across the globe. It could have been a simple as we became rather close due to the workings and chats and just tapped in to each other, but even though I have disolved the site now that the work is done I still will have remanants of that connection with one of the people. This leads me to believe that during our respective workings we were actually connecting up in the subtle realm/other. It happened particularly with me and one of the other people, to the point of in the chats haveing the same thoughts and writing them to each other at the same time. But it really made me see that the craft and the energies are not limited to our physical spacial realm.

M

#42 Nineheart

Nineheart

The Wish Card

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 12:37 PM

As many have already said, intuition is merely a tool that the witch possesses to help them progress along their path. Yes, it alone cannot teach us all the things we can learn, but when used alongside the information we gather from teachers, books, experiences etc it is a vital for the process of self improvement.

I am guilty of being an armchair witch, as I haven't put myself out in the world to experience a connection, but I tend to see that I use the same process for everything in my life; I look at all of the possibilites, both the good and the bad, and develop strategies to cope with anything. Maybe it's because I'm a perfectionist (read: control-freak) but it's what I've got to work with. Of course this means that I actually spend all of my time thinking about doing something rather than doing it, it's just finding the balance.

And even there lie problems. You cannot intuit or teach yourself some method, practise or working you have never heard of. One can make it up of course, but I have noticed that seems to be somewhat looked down upon. ( not only here )

I have no problem with doing everything my own way, nor for anyone else to. A few of the things that I'm interested in making as my own are: a combined tarot / minchiate deck, my own witchy alphabet and language, and maybe even my own pantheon of deities if I ever decide what "deity" means to me. So for me I could never see how changing something to suit your needs could ever be "distasteful".

The Wish Card, May Dreams Come True.

#43 Autumn Moon

Autumn Moon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 02:04 PM

I have no problem with doing everything my own way, nor for anyone else to. A few of the things that I'm interested in making as my own are: a combined tarot / minchiate deck, my own witchy alphabet and language, and maybe even my own pantheon of deities if I ever decide what "deity" means to me. So for me I could never see how changing something to suit your needs could ever be "distasteful".

I really agree with this. To relate it to a different field...Kung Fu, one studies hard, works dilgently to master the techniques, philosophy, forms and all the rest that goes along with it, such as meditation, chi kung, healing techniques, etc., but until one makes it their OWN, one has not mastered the art. When one has mastered the art, it will not be identlcal to the one that you worked so hard at.

#44 Autumn Moon

Autumn Moon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 02:19 PM

True . . . statistics can be manipulated to say pretty much whatever people want them to say; however, I'm speaking of actual scientists, who get called out by their peers quickly if they try to fudge things. For every study indicating that women have more intuition than men, there was of course another study saying that one was wrong or more accurately incomplete. Truth is that the differences are so small, as to not really be differences at all, so it seems that the researchers turned their attention to why society believes the generalizations so strongly.

Like you said, the evidence is often highly suspect on both sides of the issue for a variety of reasons, but the stereotypes persists. So, why is that?

People also believe that men are better at math than women; however, the evidence doesn't back that up either. Across the general population, women score just as well, if not better, on mathematical exams, as their male counterparts. Yet, I still hate math. Some people also continue to believe that if you go outside when it is cold, you will get a cold, but that isn't true. Cold weather doesn't make you sick. Sick people make you sick. Yet, I'll still tell the kids to bundle up when outside, so they don't catch cold. (Crazy, eh?)

Not everyone is (or even wants to be a scientist), so they must base their perceptions entirely on their own experiences. It would probably be more accurate for me (or Michele) to say that the women in our lives are more intuitive than the men in our lives. Now, the scientist in me knows that is not true for all women or men, but that is our experience. (Sorry, to put words in your mouth, M, but making a point.)

So, you are right, it is a generalization. Something that we should be aware of . . .

Jevne

All due respect to you Jevne, and I truly mean that.

On a side note, one of my disciplines is Traditional Chinese Medicine, which says that a person can catch a cold from going out in the cold not properly dressed. This especially applies if your pores are open from sweating or having had a bath. The cold energy enters the pores of your skin. Your defensive chi (energy) starts to do battle with it and symptoms result - chills, body ache, fever, runny nose. If your defensive chi looses the battle, the cold energy can travel deeper into your body with much more serious consequences. So, listen to the advice of your parents (those lucky enough to have good and caring parents) for there is truth behind it.

#45 Brigid

Brigid

Beyond The Bullshit...........yeah, even yours.......

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,283 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 02:25 PM

[
On a side note, one of my disciplines is Traditional Chinese Medicine, which says that a person can catch a cold from going out in the cold not properly dressed. This especially applies if your pores are open from sweating or having had a bath. The cold energy enters the pores of your skin. Your defensive chi (energy) starts to do battle with it and symptoms result - chills, body ache, fever, runny nose. If your defensive chi looses the battle, the cold energy can travel deeper into your body with much more serious consequences. So, listen to the advice of your parents (those lucky enough to have good and caring parents) for there is truth behind it.
[/quote]

Hmmmm, I thought this was an old wives tale!! No offence to the Chinese belief system, but the common cold is a viral infection, it is not caused by going out into the cold weather. Just saying!

Ritualistic behaviour, though well-intentioned, possesses no significance or effectiveness unless its external prescription is matched by a personal, internal motivation of will and desire.

#46 Nineheart

Nineheart

The Wish Card

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 02:54 PM

Hmmmm, I thought this was an old wives tale!! No offence to the Chinese belief system, but the common cold is a viral infection, it is not caused by going out into the cold weather. Just saying!

I've always heard it as going outside (in cold weather) with wet hair will make you catch a cold; the worst I've known is that your hair freezes.

#47 Brigid

Brigid

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,283 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 03:01 PM

I've always heard it as going outside (in cold weather) with wet hair will make you catch a cold; the worst I've known is that your hair freezes.

Actually, going out in cold weather with your hair wet, it if it is long will give you pains in your neck, I know this from personal experience! OUCH!

Ritualistic behaviour, though well-intentioned, possesses no significance or effectiveness unless its external prescription is matched by a personal, internal motivation of will and desire.

#48 Marabet

Marabet

Miss Clavel's Shadow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 03:02 PM

My grandfather use to tell me this all of the time. When it never happened to me and I pointed that out he would get so pissed. Then in middle school we were taught that this was a wives tale and why. I shared the info with him and, reasonable man that he is, he backed off. Thought it was interesting.

http://coldflu.about...dandweather.htm

I ran to a tower where the church bells chime
I hoped that they would clear my mind
They left a ringing in my ear
But that drum's still beating loud and clear

{Florence + The Machine 'Drumming Song'}

#49 Nineheart

Nineheart

The Wish Card

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 03:08 PM

I could also see the point of repeating old wives' tales, especially ones that would stop children running around outside unchecked.

B I don't tend to go outside with wet hair as it gets too tangled as it dries, but at least I've got another reason to take those 10 minutes to dry my hair.

#50 Marabet

Marabet

Miss Clavel's Shadow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 03:13 PM

I could also see the point of repeating old wives' tales, especially ones that would stop children running around outside unchecked.

Yup. There is something to be said for old wives' tales that's for sure.

#51 Brigid

Brigid

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,283 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 03:14 PM

B I don't tend to go outside with wet hair as it gets too tangled as it dries, but at least I've got another reason to take those 10 minutes to dry my hair.

LOL I learned this lesson in HS, I was walking to school with my hair wet, a car beeped it's horn I my head very quickly to look and my neck was stuck in that position for DAYS!! It was horrible.

Ok, back on topic, sorry all for the wandering :)

#52 Autumn Moon

Autumn Moon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 06:28 PM

]

Hey, fine...take a hot bath, dress lightly and go out in the cold wind for awhile, but don't blame me if you get pneumonia.

You are thinking from a Western view point where it is all germs and viruses. Just saying!

#53 Brigid

Brigid

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,283 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 07:57 PM

Hey, fine...take a hot bath, dress lightly and go out in the cold wind for awhile, but don't blame me if you get pneumonia.

You are thinking from a Western view point where it is all germs and viruses. Just saying!

I AM thinking from a Western medical perspective, as I KNOW that pneumonia is caused by both bacterial infections and
viral infections.
That being said, I do suppose that if you went out to a populated place with your pores opened wide after a hot bath, you could maybe contract the affliction, but the cold weather itself is defiantly not the cause.

Again, no offence, but these are proven scientific facts.

#54 Whiterose

Whiterose

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,747 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 08:32 PM

Cold weather will lower your defenses and allow the germs and viruses to attack. That is why the cold and flu seasons are usually fall and spring when everyone still wants to dress like its summertime. Anytime your body is out of homeostatis, you can get ill and cold weather will do that. At extreme temps you can even get hypothermia. So, I'm saying that you all are right. Germs and cold will make you sick.

#55 Marabet

Marabet

Miss Clavel's Shadow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 09:19 PM

Cold weather will lower your defenses and allow the germs and viruses to attack. That is why the cold and flu seasons are usually fall and spring when everyone still wants to dress like its summertime. Anytime your body is out of homeostatis, you can get ill and cold weather will do that. At extreme temps you can even get hypothermia. So, I'm saying that you all are right. Germs and cold will make you sick.

Yes, extreme weather can make one sick. However what B was pointing out was that being cold is not the cause of the common cold. She was talking about a specific illness.

I think we're getting a wee bit off topic LOL I love how threads manage to do this. Truly. I think it's so funny and interesting.

Edited by Maggie-in-the-Mead, 12 September 2011 - 09:20 PM.

#56 Autumn Moon

Autumn Moon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 09:20 PM

I AM thinking from a Western medical perspective, as I KNOW that pneumonia is caused by both bacterial infections and
viral infections.
That being said, I do suppose that if you went out to a populated place with your pores opened wide after a hot bath, you could maybe contract the affliction, but the cold weather itself is defiantly not the cause.

Again, no offence, but these are proven scientific facts.

That's what I said...you are thinking from a western perspective when it comes to disease etiology.

I do not expect you to understand the energy perspectives of TCM, no offence taken.

#57 Autumn Moon

Autumn Moon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 09:26 PM

Yes, it will, but only because your body's defensive energy is being used/consumed to fight the invading energy. Do viruses/bacteria make you ill, sure, but the TCM model is based on energy - external and internal.

Just as a note, if someone contracts the common cold, a TCM practitioner can get rid of it solely with acupuncture. Now according to the Western model, an acupuncture needle put into points on the body would not be able to kill the viruses. But experience has shown me that it does, even for those who do not believe in it.

#58 Nineheart

Nineheart

The Wish Card

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 10:02 PM

Just as a note, if someone contracts the common cold, a TCM practitioner can get rid of it solely with acupuncture. Now according to the Western model, an acupuncture needle put into points on the body would not be able to kill the viruses. But experience has shown me that it does, even for those who do not believe in it.

I'm very interested in Traditional Chinese Medicine, but I do want to learn about western herbology / herbalism before I start studying it.

#59 Autumn Moon

Autumn Moon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 10:13 PM

I'm very interested in Traditional Chinese Medicine, but I do want to learn about western herbology / herbalism before I start studying it.

Both use a lot of the same herbs, so when you do take it up, you will already know a lot.

Good luck in your studies!

I guess we had better bring this back on topic.

#60 Mountain Witch

Mountain Witch

Practical b/witch

• Moderators
  • 3,825 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 10:16 PM

NB: you can confuse yourself easily! TCM is a completely different mindset than Western herbalism and in some cases, will conflict with Western teachings. Not saying you can't learn both but be aware there are major differences! (The teacher of one of my prerequisite classes also practiced TCM. He tried to interject some of that into the class. I thought it was cool but I already had a solid background in western herbalism through self-study. A lot of the beginners got too confused so he had to stop.)

For purposes of action nothing is more useful than narrowness of thought combined with energy of will.
~ Henri Frederic Amiel

You can access my blog and get autographed copies of my books through my website