Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Learning Through Intuition

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
85 replies to this topic

#1 Marabet

Marabet

Miss Clavel's Shadow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 09:01 PM

Has this been, more or less, true for you on your Traditional Path? I noticed a theme in the thread Advice You Would Give Your Newb Self that "follow your intuition" is a constant answer. I have also seen this when reading around the internet about Traditional Witchcraft (more about intuition than any set practice/dogma). If you learned primarily through your intuition what was your process? Did you reach for it (through meditation, observation, etc etc)? Did you read up on Traditional paths and then see what "felt right"? Was some of this given to you in dream, vision, etc etc?
I ran to a tower where the church bells chime
I hoped that they would clear my mind
They left a ringing in my ear
But that drum's still beating loud and clear

{Florence + The Machine 'Drumming Song'}

#2 Gramayr

Gramayr

'Mysterio'

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,282 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 09:17 PM

Just downloaded Peter Paddon's latest book called Visceral Magic', think this is the main theme of it - intuition, gut instinct.

Product Description (blurb from Amazon)
Ever had a "gut feeling" that proved to be correct? Ever gathered up your courage in the form of "intestinal fortitude"? Modern science has discovered that our digestive organs have a rudimentarty form of consciousness that corresponds to these sayings, and this would be old news to our Celtic ancestors, who believed the human form contained three cauldrons that directed energy, inspiration and wisdom. This book explores a set of basic experiences, ideas and techniques that used to be at the heart of every magical Tradition, but which are frequently overlooked or ignored in modern times. But they are the very things that breathe life into magical systems, the secret key that makes the magic actually work. Peter Paddon, author and Witch, has had the fortune to encounter these techniques and practices in several forms, and here he documents his own journey - and the results - as well as laying out exercises and practical applications to enable the reader to stop visualizing and just plain see. Magic is a real force, one that will raise the hairs on the back of your neck, and become a living breathing part of your everyday life. This book will show you how to get there.

I don't think he's everyone's cup of tea but I quite like his style.

"Great spirits have often encountered violent opposition from weak minds." - Albert Einstein

#3 sarasuperid

sarasuperid

Wild Witch of the West

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,429 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 09:22 PM

. If you learned primarily through your intuition what was your process? Did you reach for it (through meditation, observation, etc etc)? Did you read up on Traditional paths and then see what "felt right"? Was some of this given to you in dream, vision, etc etc?

I read up on the traditional paths and tried what felt right, and then kept reading, stuff that didn't gel the first reading, started to sink after seeing it pop up a few places with different perceptions cast on it. I went outside, I paid attention to the plants, what they liked what they didn't like, what grew for me and what wouldn't. What seemed to fit in with what sorts of traditions were handed down in my family that I could build off of and add witchiness to. For example, my family had some Christmas traditions of having a special dove ornament we put on the tree last every year, it was super beautiful and so special. I bought one like it for myself and contrasted it with a beautiful black bird ornament too. So that I can really feel the dark and light of the year as it is first changing over.
:crystal-gazing:

No one told me to do that, but it just felt so right and built on what I knew and loved already.

My mother has always had art as a side interest, and she really imparted that onto me. She knew only a few spells that she learned in her own explorations of spirituality, and she taught one to me that was very art orientated. Through my long journey, I have come right back to art as a powerful part of my spell work, using letters and numbers has never felt as right as going back to my roots, using the image itself to tap deeply into something of the initiating creative spark.

I believe strongly in beginning with your intuition, and then checking it. If your intuition is against something, that is a huge warning sign, danger danger will robinson! But if your intuition is for something, check it out, get additional background information and then go for it if most signs point yes. If you are really drawn to a plant, take notice, and then research the plant, identify it and then see what reasonable uses there are for it.

1) So first, what parts of your life are already witchy or can be steered towards witchy?
2) What are your unexplanable senses telling you is very wrong--figure out how to get away from those things at least for now so you can see them from a distance and judge them again from safety.--sometimes the things you are scared of have something to teach you to, but you have to know when the right time is to approach them from a place that will lead to strength.
3)What things do you know little about, but are drawing you to them and telling you they are good for something you need in your life? Follow up on those things and seriously research how they might be used, and apply that to things you might be needing in your life.
4)What are your dreams telling you? Write them down see if you can figure out what they are saying by comparing trends in your dreams, identifying repeated symbols that are communicating something to you.
5) Learning from intuition does not preclude reading and researching witchcraft, it just means studying with your sense of judgement and good sense on and not just accepting everything at face value.

However, some people have crappy intuition. They always go for assholes who beat them, think that one more drink is a good idea on a work night, and that leaving their daughter with the weird uncle is an A number one good idea so she can go out with friends. If your intuition is always wrong, maybe you aren't cut out for learning witchcraft that way... Learning good intuition comes first, before learning anything using it. Sorry it had to be said, it isn't said enough where intuition is concerned, you have to have trustworthy intuition to count on it for anything.:goodluck:

"A Craft, a calling, a set of Keys to unlock a particular cosmology that is borne, and born, in the blood of the practitioner, and sets the Work to be done with which one may commune with those who hold the patterns and keys of the life of the practitioner and hir stream. The Work is to be done, and we are to do it." --Aiseling the Bard

#4 Scarlet

Scarlet

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 09:59 PM

Has this been, more or less, true for you on your Traditional Path? I noticed a theme in the thread Advice You Would Give Your Newb Self that "follow your intuition" is a constant answer. I have also seen this when reading around the internet about Traditional Witchcraft (more about intuition than any set practice/dogma). If you learned primarily through your intuition what was your process? Did you reach for it (through meditation, observation, etc etc)? Did you read up on Traditional paths and then see what "felt right"? Was some of this given to you in dream, vision, etc etc?

For me it is a continuous process and I use a little bit of everything. Whenever I'm working with a new spell or ritual I will meditate on it first and then when it "feels right" I begin. The actions, words, and motions I use to move my intention out into the universe are basically just the result of following my gut. I've read a few spell books and read up on other witches' processes and just kind of use a medley of methods that speak to me. For me the most important thing is that my actions feel genuine to me. I am more likely to speak to the universe in general than I am to call out to an angel or specific deity - but that is just my way. Another person may feel perfectly comfortable reaching out to an angel or deity and that is fine because it is their way and we each need to find out what it is that works for us.

My experience has been that I was afraid to let go and just try something because I was afraid of "doing it wrong' - what this forum has taught me is that there is no one set way. We all have our own way of doing things. We just need to find what works and the best way to do that is to try whatever speaks to you. Eventually you will find what works.

Scarlet

#5 CelticGypsy

CelticGypsy

Crazy NastyAss Honey Badger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,105 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 10:19 PM

All good responses to the OP, self intuition speaks loudly for those who have the ears to hear and act upon that voice. It is good for the Witch to practice her/his pathworkings everyday in some form or another. Whether you speak to a new herb in your pantry or garden, and that's the only thing you do, that particular day, it's still good practice. With good daily practice, the Witch continually initiates her/his path, in that initiation the Witch is never motionless she/he keeps her/his eye focused for new enlightenment regarding one's personal path journey. Trial and error come to the Witch, which one can view as not such a bad thing, as experiance gives one the priviledge, to try again, incorporate something new, and patience with the results. There are no limitations, only if the Witch decides to give limitations to their path walk. If reading is your thing, and something resonates with you or gives you pause to think differently, then jot it down, it's speaking to you right? Witchs choose to cast or not, not every Witch cast every single day, yet there are some that do, it just shows one that, that particular Witch is keeping on her/his initiated path, and doing good daily practice. My thoughts only on this meaty Original Post and Threads.

Regards,
Gypsy

" The last thing you wanted a Witch to do is get bored and start making her own amusements, because Witches sometimes have erratically famous ideas about what was amusing "

Terry Pratchett Legends 1 

#6 Brigid

Brigid

Beyond The Bullshit...........yeah, even yours.......

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,283 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 10:50 PM

I read up on the traditional paths and tried what felt right, and then kept reading, stuff that didn't gel the first reading, started to sink after seeing it pop up a few places with different perceptions cast on it. I went outside, I paid attention to the plants, what they liked what they didn't like, what grew for me and what wouldn't. What seemed to fit in with what sorts of traditions were handed down in my family that I could build off of and add witchiness to. For example, my family had some Christmas traditions of having a special dove ornament we put on the tree last every year, it was super beautiful and so special. I bought one like it for myself and contrasted it with a beautiful black bird ornament too. So that I can really feel the dark and light of the year as it is first changing over.
No one told me to do that, but it just felt so right and built on what I knew and loved already.

My mother has always had art as a side interest, and she really imparted that onto me. She knew only a few spells that she learned in her own explorations of spirituality, and she taught one to me that was very art orientated. Through my long journey, I have come right back to art as a powerful part of my spell work, using letters and numbers has never felt as right as going back to my roots, using the image itself to tap deeply into something of the initiating creative spark.

I believe strongly in beginning with your intuition, and then checking it. If your intuition is against something, that is a huge warning sign, danger danger will robinson! But if your intuition is for something, check it out, get additional background information and then go for it if most signs point yes. If you are really drawn to a plant, take notice, and then research the plant, identify it and then see what reasonable uses there are for it.

1) So first, what parts of your life are already witchy or can be steered towards witchy?
2) What are your unexplanable senses telling you is very wrong--figure out how to get away from those things at least for now so you can see them from a distance and judge them again from safety.--sometimes the things you are scared of have something to teach you to, but you have to know when the right time is to approach them from a place that will lead to strength.
3)What things do you know little about, but are drawing you to them and telling you they are good for something you need in your life? Follow up on those things and seriously research how they might be used, and apply that to things you might be needing in your life.
4)What are your dreams telling you? Write them down see if you can figure out what they are saying by comparing trends in your dreams, identifying repeated symbols that are communicating something to you.
5) Learning from intuition does not preclude reading and researching witchcraft, it just means studying with your sense of judgement and good sense on and not just accepting everything at face value.

However, some people have crappy intuition. They always go for assholes who beat them, think that one more drink is a good idea on a work night, and that leaving their daughter with the weird uncle is an A number one good idea so she can go out with friends. If your intuition is always wrong, maybe you aren't cut out for learning witchcraft that way... Learning good intuition comes first, before learning anything using it. Sorry it had to be said, it isn't said enough where intuition is concerned, you have to have trustworthy intuition to count on it for anything.:goodluck:

I don't think you can "learn" intuition, you either have it or you don't, but if you do have it, you MUST learn to trust it!!
:crystal-gazing:

Ritualistic behaviour, though well-intentioned, possesses no significance or effectiveness unless its external prescription is matched by a personal, internal motivation of will and desire.

#7 Brigid

Brigid

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,283 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 10:52 PM

I'm sorry, don't know how my comment went in the middle of your words, I'm on my I pod will correct it when I can get home to my computer :(

There, corrected.

Ritualistic behaviour, though well-intentioned, possesses no significance or effectiveness unless its external prescription is matched by a personal, internal motivation of will and desire.

#8 sarasuperid

sarasuperid

Wild Witch of the West

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,429 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 11:29 PM

Good Point! Brigid. I don't know if people with bad intuition could ever learn to have good intuition, could be one either has it or they don't. Some folks always ignore their, intuition and they could learn to listen to it. I didn't used to listen to mine, I would get that sick trapped feeling, and then ignore it. Boy I learned to take heed fast, and then I developed that sense more deeply. The more you listen to your intuition and find it is right the stronger it gets.
"A Craft, a calling, a set of Keys to unlock a particular cosmology that is borne, and born, in the blood of the practitioner, and sets the Work to be done with which one may commune with those who hold the patterns and keys of the life of the practitioner and hir stream. The Work is to be done, and we are to do it." --Aiseling the Bard

#9 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 12:02 AM

The more you listen to your intuition and find it is right the stronger it gets.

So, what does one do when he/she discovers that their intuition was wrong? It does happen.

J

#10 Marabet

Marabet

Miss Clavel's Shadow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 12:12 AM

So, what does one do when he/she discovers that their intuition was wrong? It does happen.

J

I dare say it happens more than we like to think. Part of learning to hear your intuition is learning to interpret what it is saying. So if some gets a certain feeling and has been using that as an affirmative but lo and behold it is wrong every time maybe that person needs to reevaluate that feelings meaning. One's intuition can be wrong but it can also be misinterpreted. I suppose that's why we always need a system of checks and balances.

#11 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 12:15 AM

I dare say it happens more than we like to think. Part of learning to hear your intuition is learning to interpret what it is saying. So if some gets a certain feeling and has been using that as an affirmative but lo and behold it is wrong every time maybe that person needs to reevaluate that feelings meaning. One's intuition can be wrong but it can also be misinterpreted. I suppose that's why we always need a system of checks and balances.

Well said, and exactly the point I wanted to make. Thank you.

#12 Whiterose

Whiterose

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,747 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 12:15 AM

I think everyone has intuition it is just that not everyone listens to it. I believe this is what CG was refering to. One of the first steps on the path is to listen to that intution and I believe this is what separates the witch from everyone else. Once they start listening to it, they take the fist step off the paved easy road in to the unknown because they are learning to trust themselves and not rely on everyone else and the accepted way of doing things. With that said, listening to yourself and then to the spirits around you comes more naturally to some than others. Some will never figure out how to do it. I have almost always listened to my intuition except during my teenage years. My life was tough because I ignored what I and the spirits were telling me. One of the hardest lessons I have had to learn was to trust again. To trust my self and the spririts around me. If you trust just the spirits, some will lead you astray and if you only trust yourself you will not progress as quickly and will stubbled sometimes. In my experience you need both and to me that is the beggining of being a traditional witch. Everything else to me is frosting.

#13 Autumn Moon

Autumn Moon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 12:53 AM

I also think everyone has intuition, but I also agree that some people might appear to have bad intuition. Experience has shown me that people who have 'bad' intuition are people who really do not know how to listen to that small voice inside - and it is small until you listen to it more and more, so that over time it gets bigger and better heard.

For me, when presented with something I want/need to intuit, the very first thought/sign is the correct one. That first one is like a small little flash of light, a very, very fast flash, which is immediately followed by a strong and longer flash of light. The first wee little quick flash is always right, it is the intuitive flash. The second flash is always wrong, it is the logical mind interfering. For example, when trying to find a business in town, and you get to the street and do not quite know its location. A quick flash comes that says 'go right' , but then a second and stronger flash comes which says 'no it must be left'. Listen to the first, and you quickly find the store, listen to the second and after a lot of searching and wrong corners, you finally find the store.

Use your intuition daily, in the grocery store, in the parking lot, in the exam quiz where you did not study 'that' section too closely. The more you use it, the stronger the first flash comes and the longer it lasts and the more determined it is to insist you follow it. Making a practice of not listening to it, makes it almost imperceptible to hear, much less follow.

As others have said, use your intuition in 'crafting', but also study, study, study.

#14 Brigid

Brigid

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,283 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 01:03 AM

I agree that you have to not only trust but to question your intuition, it's a very personal thing.
Not always easily done for any witch or person for that matter! ( My mother has fantastic intuition and she is not a witch)

It takes years IMO to know ones self and to decipher the inner code for your intuition, I am still working on it to this day and expect I always will. But to me?? It is one of my most powerful traits/gifts and I take it very seriously.

PS. Common Sense must always prevail. JMO

#15 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 01:59 AM

Intuition is a weird thing. All people have some intuition - women more than men. But one reaches a point, if one has connected to others, where intuition doesn't come from the physical person but is actually guidance from others, including the Other Self which is the witches' first teacher. Mostly it comes down to a matter of trust.

M

#16 Brigid

Brigid

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,283 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 04:31 AM

Intuition is a weird thing. All people have some intuition - women more than men. But one reaches a point, if one has connected to others, where intuition doesn't come from the physical person but is actually guidance from others, including the Other Self which is the witches' first teacher. Mostly it comes down to a matter of trust.

M

LOL, you said that much better then i did!!!

#17 8people

8people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 04:45 PM

For better or worse most of my leanings have come from intuition or instinct. I tend to be very rarely surprised when things do or don't work.

I don't tend to reach for it either, I more often than not just go and *do* and see what comes. I do utilise meditation and do a lot of dreamwork though instinct has led me towards that rather than an academic search to reach within.

Intuition I think is near impossible to teach. Instincts, however, can emulate a portion of intuition and are like muscles. Use them and they become strong and sustaining, focus on other things and they atrophy and it becomes difficult to get started on that road again - though still possible.

#18 Autumn Moon

Autumn Moon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 04:49 PM

<br />Intuition is a weird thing. All people have some intuition - women more than men. But one reaches a point, if one has connected to others, where intuition doesn't come from the physical person but is actually guidance from others, including the Other Self which is the witches' first teacher. Mostly it comes down to a matter of trust.<br /><br />M<br />

<br /><br /><br />

I take exception to women having more intuition than men statement. There is no proof to support that statement. Subjective ideas do not constitute proof. I know many, many men who have great intuition,and many women that appear to have very little.

I think one should not fall into old cliches such as 'women's intuition'. please, quit with the old girls club mentality.

I think it is all a matter of learning to listen to one's intuitive prompts, and I have found that there is no difference between men and women when it comes to that, but there can be large differences between people.

#19 Marabet

Marabet

Miss Clavel's Shadow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 05:34 PM

There is sometimes something to be said for old stereotypes. Though I wouldn't assume a woman has excellent intuition and a man doesn't, take it case by case and all of that, I think there is sufficient evidence that "women's intuition" isn't just some old sexist cliche. This doesn't mean women always do and men never do, though. Don't confuse that. There is, though, a difference between acknowledging the differences in the sexes and basing everything off of them. The former, in my mind, comes with an acceptance of the natural order of things. It ain't always PC.

Edited by Maggie-in-the-Mead, 11 September 2011 - 05:34 PM.

#20 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 05:38 PM

I think it is all a matter of learning to listen to one's intuitive prompts, and I have found that there is no difference between men and women when it comes to that, but there can be large differences between people.

Sean Laurent (2009) wrote an article called "Gender Roles and Empathic Accuracy: The Role of Communion in Reading Minds" for Vol. 60 Issue 5/6 for the Journal, Sex Roles. Research has shown that women are slightly more intuitive when it comes to issues involving people (i.e. relationships). Women are socialized to be more in-tune with others, while men are believed to be socialized to focus on problems and solutions, as opposed to people. This generalization will, of course, not apply to all individuals, but in situations involving other people, women do seem to have a slight advantage statistically.

In keeping with this same line of reasoning, social learning theorists, such as those following the research of Albert Bandera (1972), imply that women have been socialized to prefer “communal professions”; the implication being that despite employer and educational providers’ efforts to the contrary, women will continue to gravitate toward service- and relationship-oriented organizations (Weiten, 2008; Feldman, 2008, p. 503). Indicating, that perhaps some women grow stronger in their intuitive abilities, simply by having a greater number and scope of personal and professional opportunities to utilize the skills.

Jevne

Feldman, R. (2008). Development across the lifespan. (5th ed.). Upper Saddle River, NJ: Prentice Hall.

Weiten, W. (2008). Psychology: Themes and variations (7th ed.). Belmont, CA: Thomson Wadsworth.