33 replies to this topic

#1 magentarose

magentarose

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 12:35 AM

Hi everyone, just curious about everyone's experience with their first spells. Do you remember your first spell? What was it (if you remember and don't mind saying)? Did it go as planned? What did you learn from it? What advice would you give to someone about casting spells? Do you use a protection spell first?

Thanks for any imput, lol, Im really new to this. Any advice is welcome.

Cheers

There are 3 kinds of people in this world...those who want things to happen, those that make things happen, and those who just wonder what the hell happened!

#2 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 01:44 AM

My first spell worked but probably more by chance and luck than anything else as I was clueless, lol, but perhaps in that innocense I was uninhibited as I did not know anything, so I did everything simply by letting my mind go and feeling the pulse and desire and need run through me and going with that. After I went through a time where I tried to do everything by the intellectual - use herbs that I had read where aligned to my working, etc., and whilst that is a worthwhile endeavor, I find now that the herbs I use are not always alligned (according to the reference books) to what I use them for. But it is what they do for me and how they work for me and those with whom I work. Sometimes I dream of herbs, other times I just go through my collection and when I pull the one/s Iam to use I can feel it - my heart beats faster, excitement runs through me.

Protect yourself... not specifically for a spell, but just for mundane every day living. I always have shields and protections up. Once you knock on that door, things become aware of you. (Unless you're going to try and call up negative entities, in which case its then a whole 'nother ball of wax.)

The best advise I could give you is to be unhibited. It sounds easy, but it's not. One doubts, one feels a bit awkard, etc., and one is guided by deep-seated cultural conditioning of what is appropriate and what is not. Even within the craft there are things one can do that others may feel is inappropriate or incorrect, and that can inhibit one if one lets it. Long ago I sat naked in front of a mirror and drooled all over myself and just stared at myself doing it. I can now do anythign magicaly and/or in a ritual and not feel the least bit embarassed or inhibited about it, lol. Once you've purposely done the stupidest, sillyest, dumbest thing you can possibly imagine you can work freely with no inhibitions. I throughly recommend drooling on one's self at least once, lol. I had no teacher once I left my original coven, so I had to start by being willing to do anything and everything and not letting "oh god - what would other witches think if they saw this" bother me. I had to go by impulse and guidance, and to do that one has to be able to do anything without inhibition becuase some of the impulses are downright weird, lol, but no impulse should ever be taken for granted.

M

#3 CelticGypsy

CelticGypsy

Crazy NastyAss Honey Badger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,105 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 02:05 AM

Hello ! Isn't there another thread of this very same likeness ? A suggestive nudge to the New Seekers, the Search button is your "friend"... uhh Mod's am I out of line here ?:wavex: Help them out... lol.

Regards,
Gypsy

" The last thing you wanted a Witch to do is get bored and start making her own amusements, because Witches sometimes have erratically famous ideas about what was amusing "

Terry Pratchett Legends 1 

#4 Autumn Moon

Autumn Moon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 02:34 AM

Hi everyone, just curious about everyone's experience with their first spells. Do you remember your first spell? What was it (if you remember and don't mind saying)? Did it go as planned? What did you learn from it? What advice would you give to someone about casting spells? Do you use a protection spell first?

Cheers

Like most, I have probably been using spells most of my life...only I didn't know it until later, for example the birthday candle on my cake (only had one, when I was in the hospital as a kid with my cornea filled with blood from a sling shot wound).

The first actual planned working/spell where I gathered what I needed and purposefully carried out the working was when I was about 16. It was to find a girlfriend, and it manifested about three months later, when a girl became interested in and pursued me...she's my wife now. So it worked as planned.
What did I learn...it worked...yay!

Advice...learn, practice, learn, practice, learn, practice, gain confidence. Academia is needed, but the actual doing is just, if not more important, just like you can study all you want on how to swim or ride a bike, but until you actually do, your not swimming or riding.

If you feel you need protection, then by all means do so, but many do not use them. I do, its kind of like setting the playing field to reduce interference.

#5 magentarose

magentarose

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 01:14 PM

Hello ! Isn't there another thread of this very same likeness ? A suggestive nudge to the New Seekers, the Search button is your "friend"... uhh Mod's am I out of line here ?:wavex: Help them out... lol.

Regards,
Gypsy

I DID use the search :/ Nothing specifically about the first spell came up. :(

There are 3 kinds of people in this world...those who want things to happen, those that make things happen, and those who just wonder what the hell happened!

#6 Mountain Witch

Mountain Witch

Practical b/witch

• Moderators
  • 3,825 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 01:15 PM

Hello ! Isn't there another thread of this very same likeness ?

There is, somewhere, but I can't find it so maybe it didn't come up in her search.

For purposes of action nothing is more useful than narrowness of thought combined with energy of will.
~ Henri Frederic Amiel

You can access my blog and get autographed copies of my books through my website

#7 CelticGypsy

CelticGypsy

Crazy NastyAss Honey Badger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,105 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 01:35 PM

Jeez meez, maybe it was .... what was your first hex/curse ! LOL ! I just for the life of me, wonder why " Your first spell " wouldn't be here. lol. Perhaps in a more Private Setting, and Seekers can't acess it? Mag's I'm sorry,:) I hope I didn't come off as snarky, that surely wasn't my motive. :hug: Thanks M.Witch for looking into this though.

Regards,
Gypsy

" The last thing you wanted a Witch to do is get bored and start making her own amusements, because Witches sometimes have erratically famous ideas about what was amusing "

Terry Pratchett Legends 1 

#8 magentarose

magentarose

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 01:45 PM

Jeez meez, maybe it was .... what was your first hex/curse ! LOL ! I just for the life of me, wonder why " Your first spell " wouldn't be here. lol. Perhaps in a more Private Setting, and Seekers can't acess it? Mag's I'm sorry,:) I hope I didn't come off as snarky, that surely wasn't my motive. :hug: Thanks M.Witch for looking into this though.

Regards,
Gypsy

Not snarky at all, I was just soooo frustrated, lol. The search function on any forum Ive ever been on seems to NOT work for me, lol. So I thought once again, my luck was shit, lol.

#9 Mountain Witch

Mountain Witch

Practical b/witch

• Moderators
  • 3,825 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 02:09 PM

Found it here. For some reason, the search function (for me) was only returning posts in the current year.

For purposes of action nothing is more useful than narrowness of thought combined with energy of will.
~ Henri Frederic Amiel

You can access my blog and get autographed copies of my books through my website

#10 magentarose

magentarose

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 02:35 PM

Found it here. For some reason, the search function (for me) was only returning posts in the current year.

OMG, lol. Its titled EXACTLY the same and is near word for word, LOL!!!

#11 lusa

lusa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 06:14 PM

Cheers

My first spell was a learning experience, lol. Like many singleminded teens, it was a love spell to hold onto a relationship that really was not meant to be. Sadly, it went as planned, and it felt awful, like something completely unnatural and wrong. When it did backfire, I was hurt in so many ways (pride, hopes for the future, getting mingled up in my goals as a musician which was really the pits considering it's my love). It took me two years to rebuild my head and to figure out what I should've realized in the first place. I can't blame it all on the spell; adolescence is adolescence. But I think it complicated matters a lot. The good side of it all is it forced me to question myself, my life, and my beliefs. I had to look at the person I was becoming because I felt like the absence of a person, and that made the mirror easier to see if that makes any sense. Partly because of that spell, I was compelled to learn about other religions and beliefs, particularly eastern which is also a great source of comfort to me even now, and to see just how profoundly they are all connected.

It taught me in the end that you should be informed before you make big decisions and ultimately that your decisions will inform you. As a kid I looked back on it all with regret, like I'd made some big mistake that put a mark on my character. As an adult, I have no regrets, because of just how much I learned as a result. Trust your heart and your own instincts and the right spell will generate itself. "And if you try somtimes, you just might find, you get what you need." ;)

"We sailed through endless skies. Stars shine like eyes. The black night sighs."

#12 Aurelian

Aurelian

The Devils Enabler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,561 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 07:07 PM

Hah, yeah I did a love spell at 14. It worked, amazingly well, mountains moved etc etc. My boyfriend and I were perhaps too young for what we got into and the intensity that we had to deal with.

Advice? Practice, witch! Even if you don't think you have need to be casting spells, never stop your occult work. Aside from losing very hard-fought-for discipline, if you have access to enough power you can do a bit of damage if you aren't in control of yourself. I've realized there's so many spells I should have been casting over the years, but I was sort of inculcated with the idea of acting only in greatest need. Which is bollocks. Posted Image

Have no regrets, control your emotions, use magic to create a magical life for yourself(this is very important), and don't second-guess yourself too much. What did I read the other day? "You're the witch. Cast yourself!" Posted Image

"The truth about the world, he said, is that anything is possible. Had you not seen it from birth and thereby bled it of its strangeness it would appear to you for what it is, a hat trick in a medicine show, a fevered dream, a trance bepopulate with chimeras having neither analogue nor precedent, an itinerant carnival, a migratory tentshow whose ultimate destination after many a pitch in many a mudded field is unspeakable and calamitous beyond reckoning." - Cormac McCarthy

#13 Guest_Rowan_*

Guest_Rowan_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 September 2011 - 08:00 PM

My first spell was very simple candle magic. I had ordered something online and tried many times to contact the seller. No luck. I sent my phone number by email and lit a small spell candle and put it between the phone and the PC, said my words, sent out my intent, and I am not kidding, as soon as that candle went out, the phone rang. Guess who it was. I was heartily pleased!

Edited by Rowan, 05 September 2011 - 08:01 PM.

#14 Elvira

Elvira

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 09:32 PM

As halloween approached one year when i was a teenager, most of the girls in my year at school were busy discussing a spell whereby if, at midnight, you sat in front of a mirror lit by candlelight, and peeled an apple, then threw the apple skin over your shoulder, (not sure if it was left or right), and then ate the apple looking at yourself in the mirror, you would see the face of the man you would marry.

Well, I tried this and didn't see anything!!

Next day some of the most popular girls swore they saw faces of very handsome men, and the rest of us who didn't see a thing pretended we fell asleep and didn't even try!!:lolol:

#15 kaenoir

kaenoir

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 11:07 PM

My first spell, like many was a love spell. I worked just fine but after awhile it felt awkward and I didn't really like the energy after awhile. Maybe its just me but bad energy is never something I can "stomach". After a year we broke you and I was heartbroken but it was a learning experience like everything else and I would have to have I was pleased to know that I could do that.

#16 Brigid

Brigid

Beyond The Bullshit...........yeah, even yours.......

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,283 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 11:31 PM

I think my first spell was wishing on a star! LOL after that I really don't remember :( I know, sad.
Ritualistic behaviour, though well-intentioned, possesses no significance or effectiveness unless its external prescription is matched by a personal, internal motivation of will and desire.

#17 EliseN

EliseN

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 06:51 PM

http://www.tradition...h__1#entry64363 I hope I posted this link properly. This discussion might help you as well.

#18 sarasuperid

sarasuperid

Wild Witch of the West

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,429 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 02:43 AM

My first little spell was a treasure map. You draw out what you want to have happen in real detail, and then you put it up somewhere where you might see it. I drew myself and my husband at the time getting a nice house. And we did rent a nice house like that and it was good.
"A Craft, a calling, a set of Keys to unlock a particular cosmology that is borne, and born, in the blood of the practitioner, and sets the Work to be done with which one may commune with those who hold the patterns and keys of the life of the practitioner and hir stream. The Work is to be done, and we are to do it." --Aiseling the Bard

#19 Wytchywoman

Wytchywoman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 12:10 PM

Regards,
Gypsy

I did a search and did notice the other thread you were talking about on my search. I think sometimes it may not always come up for everyone. Anyhow, no biggie, I looked at the other thread and this one and actually I am enjoying this thread more. :D

Smile! It makes people wonder what you're up to..

#20 Wytchywoman

Wytchywoman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 12:24 PM

Hi Mag!
First off, great topic, even if its title is word verbatim of another one.

Do you remember your first spell? What was it (if you remember and don't mind saying)? Did it go as planned?

The first spell I recall doing was some type of banishing spell on negative entities. The first couple of tries were failures then, after tweaking the spell in a different way it seemed to work. Perhaps at that point, my mindset and intent was more determined than ever.

What did you learn from it?

I learned that if at first you don't succeed, try again. Sort out what you did, what you can improve on, or improvise. I particularly love what Michelle has to say about doing away with inhibition. I had never looked at things from that angle before.

What advice would you give to someone about casting spells?

I would strongly recommend they keep working with them, starting out small and working up to bigger things. It is a shame that many do not develop their spell casting abilities all because they were discouraged by a hand full of failures in the beginning. These should be expected. The more you keep working spells, the better your build up your strength in my opinion.

Do you use a protection spell first?

No. But I do do a protection like meditation before I venture into what one might call the astral life, or when I am meditating to connect with other beings.

Smile! It makes people wonder what you're up to..