Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest Rowan

Indoor herbs

I saved the heirloom tomato seeds from last year and am going to try and start them indoors this year rather than go out and buy plants. WIll be interesting tosee if I prserved them correctly, lol...

M

They take a bit of work actually and be quite tempermental, have you done it before? What kind of seeds are you saving???

So since I moved I have been feeling a little out of sorts. I figured I needed to get some plants to bring some life back in to this house. I had to give all of my plants away or plant them before we moved as they would not have survived the zone shift and the harsh winter and lack of light we where headed to. So...my little perennial friends are being cared for by friends and family down South. Now I have to start over. I have the seeds, the dirt, the pots etc... but I have two problems. This house is dark all day except one room that is not ours and we don't have access to. The curtains need to remain closed most of the day because the windows are a major source of heat loss. Two, we have adopted a spastic, undisciplined cat due to recent events. Now, my cats are used to house plants and they don't mess with them because they have learned. This cat...I think...is retarded because it hasn't learned anything and still climbs counters and curtains and gets in the garbage and goes after food on the counters...*sigh. So I am really nervous about starting pots indoors. This cat is a gymnast and gets on anything from the floor to the ceiling and I am worried he is going to eat them and knock them over. So even hanging pots are going to be a challenge when they get big enough to hang. I have one North facing window in the kitchen that gets enough light for what I want to grow but anything in that area is going to be out of the question as there is furniture near it that it climbs on constantly. I had thought of a grow light but again...a place to put it. Then, I had thought of a bookshelf and if I fill the bottom shelves with books and have my little seedlings on the top shelf...it might work but I really don't know with super kitty. When we were redoing the floors, he somehow came up from the locked basement we put him in, and climbed through the floor vent hole to see what we were doing. Has anyone had to deal with this, a spastic super kitty and no space with adequate light?

Spastic super-kitty, yes. Lack of light, no.

Your bookshelf idea is a good one - as long as the shelf isn't within jumping distance from, say, the arm of a couch. You can mount a grow light on the underside of a shelf & place your pots on the shelf below it. If you get/have one that is a 5-shelf, 6-foot tall, you should be able to have two shelves of pots.

I have a couple of hanging plants and one of them is accessible to the monkeys across the top of the entertainment center. I put pictures there, spacing them so there is no clear space for them to get more than one paw firmly settled. The "slam" of one of the frames tipping over when they tried scare the bejeezus out of them & they haven't been on it since.

Spastic super-kitty, yes.

We have experiance in this, what solved alot of issues for us was to invest in a squirt gun, filled with water. Now when voices are raised in a stern fashion, and cat's don't comply to said verbal commands, all we have to do is show them the squirt gun and give it a little shake. Kitty Kompliance. :)

Regards,

Gypsy

CG, a squirt gun doesn't work in my house. The two boys don't mind water at all.

Yeah, tried that with the dog. Didn't work at all. He loved it. Would bring it to us, so we could squirt him.

In regards to plants, the few that I have (you know, the ones the boys take care of . . . lol) have recently gotten the dog's attention, which is creating a bit of havoc around here, too. As of right now, he isn't technically eating them. He is just "playing" with them, dragging their pots around, snorting in the dirt, etc. I have had to move everything up and out of sight, as apparently yelling at him is not an effective deterrent. It is funny that you spoke of this, Whiterose, as I spent the better part of the morning moving bookshelves and tables to keep the plants from the dog's reach.

Spastic super-kitty, yes. Lack of light, no.

Your bookshelf idea is a good one - as long as the shelf isn't within jumping distance from, say, the arm of a couch. You can mount a grow light on the underside of a shelf & place your pots on the shelf below it. If you get/have one that is a 5-shelf, 6-foot tall, you should be able to have two shelves of pots.

I have a couple of hanging plants and one of them is accessible to the monkeys across the top of the entertainment center. I put pictures there, spacing them so there is no clear space for them to get more than one paw firmly settled. The "slam" of one of the frames tipping over when they tried scare the bejeezus out of them & they haven't been on it since.

We have experiance in this, what solved alot of issues for us was to invest in a squirt gun, filled with water. Now when voices are raised in a stern fashion, and cat's don't comply to said verbal commands, all we have to do is show them the squirt gun and give it a little shake. Kitty Kompliance. :smile:

Regards,

Gypsy

Yeah, tried that with the dog. Didn't work at all. He loved it. Would bring it to us, so we could squirt him.

In regards to plants, the few that I have (you know, the ones the boys take care of . . . lol) have recently gotten the dog's attention, which is creating a bit of havoc around here, too. As of right now, he isn't technically eating them. He is just "playing" with them, dragging their pots around, snorting in the dirt, etc. I have had to move everything up and out of sight, as apparently yelling at him is not an effective deterrent. It is funny that you spoke of this, Whiterose, as I spent the better part of the morning moving bookshelves and tables to keep the plants from the dog's reach.

Thanks ladies! I may go with the book shelf idea. The squirt bottle is used frequently in our house but spastic super kitty is immune :ermm: . The other kitties are trained to the point I don't need the bottle, I just use my voice. That is funny J that you were moving your house around, what timing lol.

That is funny J that you were moving your house around, what timing lol.

Totally OT, I know, but moving the furniture actually upset the spirits in the house more than the dog. Now, I don't have to worry about the dog knocking over the plants. I have to worry about spirited spirits. LOL! Luckily, when I heard a loud crash in the library, however, it was only a book and not one of the plants that I had placed on the shelf.

Totally OT, I know, but moving the furniture actually upset the spirits in the house more than the dog. Now, I don't have to worry about the dog knocking over the plants. I have to worry about spirited spirits. LOL! Luckily, when I heard a loud crash in the library, however, it was only a book and not one of the plants that I had placed on the shelf.

Oy! That sounds like a headache and a half lol. Well, you did say you like to rile up the spirits on purpose lol! At least it wasn't your plant that crashed.