- - - - -

Indoor herbs

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
33 replies to this topic

#21 sarasuperid

sarasuperid

Wild Witch of the West

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,425 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 11:41 PM

I find growing green things takes tons of patience and perseverance. You have to be receptive to what plants want and it isn't easy to learn their language. If at first you don't succeed try try again, seeds and dirt are fairly cheap and you can re use containers, like yogurt containers, egg shells, egg boxes and more for growing your seedlings in. Plants have so much to teach you if you listen. And sometimes the difficulty in growing them is part of the lesson.

"A Craft, a calling, a set of Keys to unlock a particular cosmology that is borne, and born, in the blood of the practitioner, and sets the Work to be done with which one may commune with those who hold the patterns and keys of the life of the practitioner and hir stream. The Work is to be done, and we are to do it." --Aiseling the Bard

#22 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,002 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 11:51 PM

I find growing green things takes tons of patience and perseverance. You have to be receptive to what plants want and it isn't easy to learn their language. If at first you don't succeed try try again, seeds and dirt are fairly cheap and you can re use containers, like yogurt containers, egg shells, egg boxes and more for growing your seedlings in. Plants have so much to teach you if you listen. And sometimes the difficulty in growing them is part of the lesson.

I saved the heirloom tomato seeds from last year and am going to try and start them indoors this year rather than go out and buy plants. WIll be interesting tosee if I prserved them correctly, lol...

M

#23 sarasuperid

sarasuperid

Wild Witch of the West

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,425 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 01:11 AM

My process towards learning a greener thumb is to keep trying. If you want it bad enough and are patient and receptive enough to the plants messages although it may take several seasons and a dozen or more envelopes of seeds you will get something to grow. Also remember not all plants live for more than a season or too outside either. If you get a basil to live happily for two or three months good on you! The ones that grew wild outside my house where I had forgotten some year old starter pots that had never sprouted, they grew gave me herbs went to seed and dried out and died all in abOut three months that might just be their lifecyle. My friend always moans that she can't get basil to live but perhaps our local variety just lives a short period. Not to mention the seeds that took a year to sprout! That is just one story I have of many on my path to learn some of the mystery of working with plant allies, they teach me all the time through their lives and deaths and births when I least expect it!

Sorry for the double post I wrote this response on my iPod and then it wouldn't go online.

"A Craft, a calling, a set of Keys to unlock a particular cosmology that is borne, and born, in the blood of the practitioner, and sets the Work to be done with which one may commune with those who hold the patterns and keys of the life of the practitioner and hir stream. The Work is to be done, and we are to do it." --Aiseling the Bard

#24 Honeythorn

Honeythorn

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 09:33 PM

Hey, I just found this on Stumble, and it seems a good idea for growing herbs or plants that aren't too huge. The woman here has used glass bottles, but I think any longish necked, plastic bottle neatly cut off to the desired height, would work equally as well ( though may not look quite so stylish )

I figured maybe those who have no gardens but do have windowsills in a flat/apartment, may want to give it a try?

http://www.designspo...le-gardens.html

#25 8people

8people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 10:51 PM

You can use those plastic milk bottles in the same way.

If you look at them from the side there is a line that starts below the handle and follows up and round the bottle (illustrated here, lined in black)

Cut along that line, turn it upside down and put it on the inside of the bottom half of the bottle. Take the cap off and put a little bit of thick mesh inside the now upside down top and put possing soil and the plant in there.

Fill the bottom part of the bottle with water and the handle of ex-milk-bottle is easy access to top up water from. :)

Can be painted, covered up, etc, or even just used for propogation before transplanting outside or hardening off seedlings.

#26 Brigid

Brigid

Beyond The Bullshit...........yeah, even yours.......

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,252 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 10:56 PM

I saved the heirloom tomato seeds from last year and am going to try and start them indoors this year rather than go out and buy plants. WIll be interesting tosee if I prserved them correctly, lol...

M

They take a bit of work actually and be quite tempermental, have you done it before? What kind of seeds are you saving???

Ritualistic behaviour, though well-intentioned, possesses no significance or effectiveness unless its external prescription is matched by a personal, internal motivation of will and desire.

#27 Whiterose

Whiterose

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,713 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 04:32 PM

So since I moved I have been feeling a little out of sorts. I figured I needed to get some plants to bring some life back in to this house. I had to give all of my plants away or plant them before we moved as they would not have survived the zone shift and the harsh winter and lack of light we where headed to. So...my little perennial friends are being cared for by friends and family down South. Now I have to start over. I have the seeds, the dirt, the pots etc... but I have two problems. This house is dark all day except one room that is not ours and we don't have access to. The curtains need to remain closed most of the day because the windows are a major source of heat loss. Two, we have adopted a spastic, undisciplined cat due to recent events. Now, my cats are used to house plants and they don't mess with them because they have learned. This cat...I think...is retarded because it hasn't learned anything and still climbs counters and curtains and gets in the garbage and goes after food on the counters...*sigh. So I am really nervous about starting pots indoors. This cat is a gymnast and gets on anything from the floor to the ceiling and I am worried he is going to eat them and knock them over. So even hanging pots are going to be a challenge when they get big enough to hang. I have one North facing window in the kitchen that gets enough light for what I want to grow but anything in that area is going to be out of the question as there is furniture near it that it climbs on constantly. I had thought of a grow light but again...a place to put it. Then, I had thought of a bookshelf and if I fill the bottom shelves with books and have my little seedlings on the top shelf...it might work but I really don't know with super kitty. When we were redoing the floors, he somehow came up from the locked basement we put him in, and climbed through the floor vent hole to see what we were doing. Has anyone had to deal with this, a spastic super kitty and no space with adequate light?

#28 Mountain Witch

Mountain Witch

Practical b/witch

• Moderators
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 04:58 PM

Spastic super-kitty, yes. Lack of light, no.

Your bookshelf idea is a good one - as long as the shelf isn't within jumping distance from, say, the arm of a couch. You can mount a grow light on the underside of a shelf & place your pots on the shelf below it. If you get/have one that is a 5-shelf, 6-foot tall, you should be able to have two shelves of pots.

I have a couple of hanging plants and one of them is accessible to the monkeys across the top of the entertainment center. I put pictures there, spacing them so there is no clear space for them to get more than one paw firmly settled. The "slam" of one of the frames tipping over when they tried scare the bejeezus out of them & they haven't been on it since.

For purposes of action nothing is more useful than narrowness of thought combined with energy of will.
~ Henri Frederic Amiel

You can access my blog and get autographed copies of my books through my website

#29 CelticGypsy

CelticGypsy

Crazy NastyAss Honey Badger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,017 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 07:48 PM

Spastic super-kitty, yes.

We have experiance in this, what solved alot of issues for us was to invest in a squirt gun, filled with water. Now when voices are raised in a stern fashion, and cat's don't comply to said verbal commands, all we have to do is show them the squirt gun and give it a little shake. Kitty Kompliance. :)

Regards,
Gypsy

" The last thing you wanted a Witch to do is get bored and start making her own amusements, because Witches sometimes have erratically famous ideas about what was amusing "

Terry Pratchett Legends 1 

#30 Mountain Witch

Mountain Witch

Practical b/witch

• Moderators
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 08:07 PM

CG, a squirt gun doesn't work in my house. The two boys don't mind water at all.

For purposes of action nothing is more useful than narrowness of thought combined with energy of will.
~ Henri Frederic Amiel

You can access my blog and get autographed copies of my books through my website

#31 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,403 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 01:28 AM

CG, a squirt gun doesn't work in my house. The two boys don't mind water at all.

Yeah, tried that with the dog. Didn't work at all. He loved it. Would bring it to us, so we could squirt him.

In regards to plants, the few that I have (you know, the ones the boys take care of . . . lol) have recently gotten the dog's attention, which is creating a bit of havoc around here, too. As of right now, he isn't technically eating them. He is just "playing" with them, dragging their pots around, snorting in the dirt, etc. I have had to move everything up and out of sight, as apparently yelling at him is not an effective deterrent. It is funny that you spoke of this, Whiterose, as I spent the better part of the morning moving bookshelves and tables to keep the plants from the dog's reach.

#32 Whiterose

Whiterose

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,713 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 04:20 AM

Spastic super-kitty, yes. Lack of light, no.

Your bookshelf idea is a good one - as long as the shelf isn't within jumping distance from, say, the arm of a couch. You can mount a grow light on the underside of a shelf & place your pots on the shelf below it. If you get/have one that is a 5-shelf, 6-foot tall, you should be able to have two shelves of pots.

I have a couple of hanging plants and one of them is accessible to the monkeys across the top of the entertainment center. I put pictures there, spacing them so there is no clear space for them to get more than one paw firmly settled. The "slam" of one of the frames tipping over when they tried scare the bejeezus out of them & they haven't been on it since.

We have experiance in this, what solved alot of issues for us was to invest in a squirt gun, filled with water. Now when voices are raised in a stern fashion, and cat's don't comply to said verbal commands, all we have to do is show them the squirt gun and give it a little shake. Kitty Kompliance. :smile:

Regards,
Gypsy

Yeah, tried that with the dog. Didn't work at all. He loved it. Would bring it to us, so we could squirt him.

In regards to plants, the few that I have (you know, the ones the boys take care of . . . lol) have recently gotten the dog's attention, which is creating a bit of havoc around here, too. As of right now, he isn't technically eating them. He is just "playing" with them, dragging their pots around, snorting in the dirt, etc. I have had to move everything up and out of sight, as apparently yelling at him is not an effective deterrent. It is funny that you spoke of this, Whiterose, as I spent the better part of the morning moving bookshelves and tables to keep the plants from the dog's reach.

Thanks ladies! I may go with the book shelf idea. The squirt bottle is used frequently in our house but spastic super kitty is immune :ermm: . The other kitties are trained to the point I don't need the bottle, I just use my voice. That is funny J that you were moving your house around, what timing lol.

#33 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,403 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 04:44 AM

That is funny J that you were moving your house around, what timing lol.

Totally OT, I know, but moving the furniture actually upset the spirits in the house more than the dog. Now, I don't have to worry about the dog knocking over the plants. I have to worry about spirited spirits. LOL! Luckily, when I heard a loud crash in the library, however, it was only a book and not one of the plants that I had placed on the shelf.

#34 Whiterose

Whiterose

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,713 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 03:13 PM

Totally OT, I know, but moving the furniture actually upset the spirits in the house more than the dog. Now, I don't have to worry about the dog knocking over the plants. I have to worry about spirited spirits. LOL! Luckily, when I heard a loud crash in the library, however, it was only a book and not one of the plants that I had placed on the shelf.

Oy! That sounds like a headache and a half lol. Well, you did say you like to rile up the spirits on purpose lol! At least it wasn't your plant that crashed.