Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dark Phoenix

Magic Mirrors

Aw I remember starting this threat in 2007....it's been a while since I've been back...bump =)

________

Any further thoughts on it since then?

I have a picture frame that I picked up ages ago - the whole frame is made of clear-to-green-crackled glass, and if hung in a window with the light shining through it is just breath-taking. Like the first rays of a sunrise on crackled frost overlaying a carpet of grass, or dew on the leaves sparkling in sunlight.... I would like to turn this into a watching mirror, but I also don't want to use black. Not sure why other than the whole look of the frame is the opposite of darkness. I would like to make the watching-part also look like ice, to look into the ice and what is preserved within it. To see the perpetual cycle of the ages living within the ice. 

Now the only watching-mirrors I know of are either actual mirrors (which I don't get on well with for watching, lol, I end up seeing my reflection and going off on a "jeez, I need to get my hair trimmed" tangent, rather than seeing past them), or the usual black-out glass. So trying to think of some way to give the viewing part the illusion of icy depth yet no direct reflection.... possibly even spray-painting it white, with bits of glacial bits of glacial blues and greys. But I don't know how that will work for watching. The best thing would be water in this case, but it's not a bowl, lol.

Edit  - just u-tubed an arctic national geographic film where an expedition went diving in seal holes - the water holes in the ice showed up as totally black due to the ice blocking out all the sunlight. Which in retrospect implies that black may be the way to go for the mirror part... will definitely be easier and more traditional than trying to create ice colours, lol...

M

Okay = spray painted the frame, a medium wood bowl and a small glass bowl. Having a cuppa and waiting for them to dry.

M

I love going to old ponds for divination too, but being a sea witch I use lots of magic mirrors. I LOVE those mirrors you made, just lovely. Mine tend to be often decorated with sea shells as this calls the power of the sea into them. My first scrying mirror though was a tiny pocket mirror, that I painted blue, maybe because I've always been drawn to water, but blue was the right color for me. Traditionally for a scrying mirror we take it out under the full moon first wash it with a mugwort potion, which helps invest it with scrying power then let the full moon shine down into it. There are some magic mirrors which we use as enchanting mirrors. You let the full moon shine into the mirror and then point the light at the object you wish to be enchanted. Then there are old mirrors I use for special occassions, such as sabbats. These I keep covered, since yes they might be considered portals. I never really know what people will see in those mirrors. One All Hallows Eve, I had a group of people with me celebrating around a bon fire. I let them go off one by one to look in one of my old mirrors. Every one of them that night saw themselves when they were old.

Then there is the looking in a mirror in a dark room. First wash the mirror with mugwort. (Unless it is an old mirror that is already enchanted). No need to paint it, just set it in a completely dark room and have people or yourself sit opposite it. You see the wildest things that way. Love magic mirror. Okay already have plenty but this thread makes me want to prepare more!

The site ate my post lol.  Lets try again. 

I had done an exorcise with my sister and her friend many years ago involving no mirror and they saw my face change form several times, one of which they described as an older creepy version of myself.  In this case, since both exorcises had the same result,  I think that when scrying, you are scrying the person, not the mirror as the person is reflected in the mirror.  The subject of your focus is the person. Especially if the mirror was washed in mugwort before hand. 

Now on mugwort, I have heard of the use as a wash on divinitory tools to help increases its function as a receiver of spiritual information, but to be fair, I have only seen that in books.  In my experience, mugwort has an affect on the environment that protects the area and banishes negative things and energies. It wouldn't open up the tool to work better, it would block certain things from using that tool which may or may not be the goal depending on what you wanted to commune with. In order to have the affect of opening up receivers of spiritual information, I had thought it needed to be used on the body in the form of a tea, a smoke, or an ointment in order to open up the psychic centers due to its function on the brain. Herbs do not always function the same way in their environment as they do in the body or the mind. That would be like wiping flying ointment on the mirror and expecting it to work in the same way as wiping it on the body. How would that achieve its goal?  I think one has to observe the effects of an herb on the spiritual environment of a place and also the effect on one's body and mind.  They do not always have the same effect and I think this is why there are so many "properties" for herbs in these books and they get confused.  They have different effects for body, mind, and spirit. This is another one of those things that experience invalidates whats written in some books, at least for me. 

I have a black glass bowl. The first time I used it, I seen a man, my father -in laws truck, my father -in law. The man was stealing the truck. I was going to call my husband (now ex husband) and tell him to watch out, but he never really did believe in my powers. He called me later the next day to tell my that his dad's truck was stolen.

I have not used my bowl again until a couple of nights ago. I was getting faces of me older and a mans face.

I read that you have to keep your scrying bowl covered and in a dark place. I don't know how true it is. I would also like to know if anyone has a cleansing recipe I can use to clean my bowl. Oh and the water I used the first time was water from the stream in back of the house I lived in. I read spring water or water that is always flowing is best. The water I used the other night was a bottle of purified water, could be why it did not seem to work as well.

For me, personally, I don't clean most things (unless it is store bought of unknown origins depending on its use). I would think that the more a thing is used the more energy and familiarization becomes attached to it and I wouldn't want to clean that away... unless I specifically thought something unwanted had become attached to an item, I wouldn't specifically clean it. 

I would have to know the logic behind keeping things covered and in dark places. I tend to keeps things where I can see them and they are readily available without a lot of hunting and unwrapping (and as small as my home is things can get pretty lost, lol!). If I have to hunt down, unwrap, set up, purify, prepare... by the time I get that done I'm not ever going to bother, lol. So it would stay wrapped up and put away and unused and become a total waste of my money. The things I check-in with are checked-in with daily or at least several or more times a week. They are a daily part of my life, my routine,  and the way I live.  And they live in my house (or garden) where they can be seen and interacted with daily and treated as part of my life, not as a winter coat, lol. And I'm in the habit of talking to things - I talk to my house, to my garden, I talk tot he rain and the sun coming in my window, I talk to my allies (and hoped-for allies, lol) and to my charms and to my cats (the cats ignore me, though).But again, the person who said these things need to be wrapped up and in the dark - I don't know WHY they think that so I can't comment on their logic.

If there is something that was only used at a specific time of year I put that away. If there is something - like a dried herb - that will get damaged by sun exposure I put that in a dark place. But "mirror mirror on the wall, who's the fairest of them all?" I seem to remember she asked that every morning, and the mirror was "on the wall" and not in a dark place where it needed to be unwrapped every morning.... and I put quite a bit of store in fairytales, lol. If there's a mirror in the room facing my bed, I will cover it with a towel whilst I sleep. Being watched whilst I'm sleeping creeps me out, lol.

M

I am actually in the process of Painting an oval picture frame glass black as we speak. I have it drying in one of the stairwells. I don't cleanse objects very often either Michele, but this will definitely be cleansed. I bought it from a yard sale and the guy was a jerk, so it needs a good cleansing. I am so not the patient type so waiting for the many coats of paint to dry is excruciating. I definitely do not plan on keeping it hidden away. I actually plan on hanging it on the wall above my little Altar in the Kitchen, for quick and easy access. It will sit on the wall below my herb rack and between two windows that look out over the garden. My windows inside are rather framed in greenery so its going to be quite lovely.

Nice, Davenport! I spray painted mine black - I found the coats dried quite quickly in the sun and it was ready to go with 3 coats in about an hour... but that probably depends on your weather, lol...

M

I'm rather timid about ruining the glass as I adore the frame and its old and unique so replacing it is out of the question, so I have been doing very shy coats since 6 pm its past ten now. I think its finally going to be done with this last coat I just put on! I will probably have to let it dry over night, but it will be fun to assemble in the morning while I talk to the Kitchen and the Plants and the Ants. (well just one ant)

Magic Mirror

I am finished with the physical construction of the mirror! Thought I would post a picture here before I spell it for use and hang it above my altar.

Thanks guys! I am very proud of myself, but I admit I might be getting carried away, as I have started two small ones just for fun. I have seen some of the pictures of projects you've done CG, and you are mondo mucho talented and creative, so I extra appreciate the compliment. :wink:

Very nice. I think I am inspired to tackle creating one myself. AAHHHHHHH curse you people!!!! I have so may projects I wish to do and not enough money to do them all, lol. I guess this calls for another To-Do list for me ( I'm gonna need a bigger home).

Black Mirrors

Okay, so I think I got that out of my system. I did actually rework my preparations for tomorrow to include all three. That way the accusation that i'm spraying every available piece of glass in the house black is unfounded.

Very nice and well done Davenport.

What is the magnifying glass for?

Ahhh... my cats are great dust collectors... a stick up the backside and they make excellent little swiffer dusters.

M

(JK, lol)

Dang Michele, now I have to wipe all the tea off of my screen, lol.

Most of these suggestions have already been brought up in this thread, but I find the subject interesting, so here is my take on it anyway.

There are many, many ways to use mirrors in magick. Not all have anything to do with divination. They are in fact amoung my personal favorite magickal tools.

A regular everyday mirror can work well for scrying, I find they work best in a dark room with a candle for indirect light.  I prefer a black mirror for most purposes myself. (note; you should not gaze at your own reflection in a black mirror, but use it as you would the surface of a still dark pool, and let the images or whatnot come to you.)

You can use them to see past, present or futur events, people or places.

Mirrors can certainly be used as windows or portals to other worlds, dimensions, or planes of existance. When using them this way, it is important to keep in mind that the window or door will work both ways. If you can see or travel through, then anything on the other side will also be able to see or go through. Closing your windows or portals when you are not using them is always a good idea.

In a similar way, you can use mirrors to communicate with entities. Indeed, they can be 'haunted' or inhabited by such beings, and if a witch had such an inclination or ability, an entity could be confined within one. As well as closing windows, I cover my mirrors with black cloth when not in use, as an extra precaution.

Mirrors can also be use literally as a  'magick mirror' in the 'who is the fairest of them all' sense, aiding you to make certian changes in your appearance, change the way you view yourself, or the way others see you. Simply put, you can do this by gazing at your reflection until you begin to see yourself the way you would like to see yourself, or the way you would like others to see you.

Mirrors can also be used in defensive, shielding or protective magick to reflect negativity or harmful energies back to the sender or source and away from you.

I am sure there are even more ways to use mirrors in magick, however these are all I can come up with at this time.

I really do not respond well to you should do this or you should not do that. I gaze at my reflection in a black mirror, and the dark room candle thing does not work worth shit for me.