Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dark Phoenix

Magic Mirrors

Guest 53rdspirit
Doll with Top Hat? -creepy-

Perfect! :applause:

Mirrors? -wonderful-

:thanks:

I have a "magic" mirror, but it isn't for scrying. Some time ago, someone at work was giving me and the atty I worked with a REALLY hard time and creating TONS more work and then trying to get us in trouble, and just generally making work hard and threatening my livelihood. I am a good, hard worker. If I mess up, show me how to do it right. If I am lazy and deserve to be fired, then so be it. But don't try to push me out because of your own greed/problems/whatever. So (short story version) I took a mirror and did a "spell" that anything negative sent my way would be reflected back to the person sending it. I hung it up in my office. I'm still there ;-) The other person is not... not because I got them fired but because the higher-ups decided this person was not working well with others and might at some time try to take clients from the firm. Don't know if that counts as a magic mirror or not.

I do many things like this for my friends or clients where they have problems at work, it can even work with normal mirrors as well. I wouldnt suggest using a Ba Gua mirror though as they are just too powerful (although some instances can call for the use of one)

You could put it down to coincidence or believe in it. But it will work every time :)

WOW, those mirrors are awesome 53!:applause::applause::applause:. Great house too, love it. Thanks for sharing these:)

I have two kinds of magic mirror: one used in protection; and one used for scrying.

The first is an ordinary mirror that reflects, and that is far as I am prepared to go in explaining its job.

The second is a black obsidian mirror made by a Cornish craftsman (who also does work for the Museum of Witchcraft). I use it the same way as I do my crystal balls: I enter a trance and then watch the message as it unfolds. It works pretty much the same way as the crystal ball, but the frequency (energy signature) is different, as obsidian is a different material from quartz, citrine or aqua lumeria.

Mirrors can be used for many things. When making a scrying mirror you can try adding ash to the paint if trees are your thing. This puts a different texture on the finished product and depending on the tree helps with the way it works for you. The quantities of the mix is something you need to try out depending on the fineness of the ash and the thickness of the paint.

Michele covers another type of mirror use which is similar to how we use them. If you have a lot of negativity to get rid of a great way is to create a mirror by painting the back of the glass with four coats, one for each element. Once dry and set up in the frame which may have associated runes painted or engraved or drawn on it. You then project these negative thoughts into it. Follow that up with a clear mirror and do the same with positive thoughts. You can build on this ritual with moon phases etc depending on your path but however you work it the mirrors are effective.

Sometime when I get the chance to go home, I'm going to get some pics of the couple of black mirrors I have. I love working with them, they have been so useful, more so than Tarot or Runes have been for me. I don't know why, I just can work easier with the mirrors. They were fun to make.

I know it's old, but 53 those are awesome mirrors, wish mine were that awesome. The doll with the top hat, my kind of creepy.

i have 3 questions...yes im sorry...im a newb

1. how do you see into a black mirror or a crystal ball or pendulum? you just meditate or what?

2.what is a furryjack?...lol

3. how do you see spirits? in 53's pictures i could kinda tell something was there but how do you know?

sorry for bombarding yall with questions i just want to know :)

Love the mirrors, and the room. It has a really comfy feel to it :) I don't have a black mirror. I nearly bought one from a chappie who has a shop in Aberdeen, but then he mentioned the polished obsidian he had. Well, one speedy transaction later and I'm in possession of a lovely palm sized piece that I use for (attempted!!!) scrying. A candle is used, of course, but should be placed behind and to one side of the piece, which I prop up in a kind of mini artist's easel, and I agree that your reflection should not fall over the piece whilst scrying.

I love the mirrors and I have the strangest of feelings that I may well be making one or two very soon...

I have seen some that have been bought that don't look anywhere as near as good as those too...

I have used a Crystal Ball a few times, well an Optical Glass one anyway... But, I have always felt drawn to the dak mirror for Scrying and I thank everyone for the pointers that have been issued.

Wow, those are really gorgeous! I have always wanted to make one but just never found the "right" materials. I use a black wooden bowl for scrying.

I have a scrying mirror made from obsidian and a larger mirror which is framed in wood and painted black on the back of the glass, very simple to make. I sometimes use the larger one by putting it on the floor and standing over it and looking down into it, I find I get on very well using this method.

I use my mirrors in various ways for example I go deep, deep inside like diving into a large black lake, or I watch it like a tv screen for less 'in depth' work or another way more with the obsidian mirror I wait till whatever wants to present itself to come 'out' of the mirror, this way is used when I work with spirit/teachers that I have built up a relationship with.

I have a special bowl I use for scrying. I get the best results when I scry in nature, using ponds, creeks or other natural water sources. I even use the mud puddles outside my house. I have yet to use a mirror though. The pictures of the handmade mirrors has inspired me! Perhaps I shall add that to my list of craft projects to create in the next little while.

I love going to old ponds for divination too, but being a sea witch I use lots of magic mirrors. I LOVE those mirrors you made, just lovely. Mine tend to be often decorated with sea shells as this calls the power of the sea into them. My first scrying mirror though was a tiny pocket mirror, that I painted blue, maybe because I've always been drawn to water, but blue was the right color for me. Traditionally for a scrying mirror we take it out under the full moon first wash it with a mugwort potion, which helps invest it with scrying power then let the full moon shine down into it. There are some magic mirrors which we use as enchanting mirrors. You let the full moon shine into the mirror and then point the light at the object you wish to be enchanted. Then there are old mirrors I use for special occassions, such as sabbats. These I keep covered, since yes they might be considered portals. I never really know what people will see in those mirrors. One All Hallows Eve, I had a group of people with me celebrating around a bon fire. I let them go off one by one to look in one of my old mirrors. Every one of them that night saw themselves when they were old.

Then there is the looking in a mirror in a dark room. First wash the mirror with mugwort. (Unless it is an old mirror that is already enchanted). No need to paint it, just set it in a completely dark room and have people or yourself sit opposite it. You see the wildest things that way. Love magic mirror. Okay already have plenty but this thread makes me want to prepare more!

Guest Magdalena

I have not read about "Magic Mirrors" before. The only one I have is the one I look in every morning and scares the crap out of me. :scared: I find this topic interesting. :thanks:

I do have `Tarot Cards` they were passed down to me. :beerchug:

While nowhere near as nice as 53's mirrors, I bought one from the local bookstore. It came with a book and DVD.

http://www.amazon.com/Magic-Mirror-Divination-through-Ancient/dp/1571745505

It's circular, about 5 or 6 inches in diameter. (around 14cm)

For the meantime, it's more decoration than tool, as I don't feel ready for scrying yet, but it's there when I'm ready to move onto it, and it provides a nice addition to the environment in my room, which, in it's own way, serves a purpose.

I'd read somewhere that scrying and divination are really different things with similar goals. The source I read defined the difference as being that divination used distinct pre-defined symbols (tarot cards, runes, I-ching, etc) whereas scying was .. (paraphrasing) sort of loosely association based, seeing with your mind's inner eye, so to speak. Whatcha all think?

Oh, also, I just ran across this video - how to make your own:

I have a little black mirror I made from a dollar store picture frame. I use it for meditation, scrying, and spirit communication (the spirits manifest and are contained in the mirror.) Nothing fancy, but it suits my purpose. Although I have yet to get the damn thing to tell me that I'm "the fairest of them all". (Everyone's a critic...)

I actually prefer a rather plain mirror for scrying, personally, I find the fancier ones with the runic or Theban writing or whatever around the borders to be distracting. I wish I had a cauldron or black bowl.

I learn so much everytime I come to this forum! I'm not sure I'm ready for any kind of scrying now, but in the future I'd love to try it sometime. :chakrahearts:

(...) set up in the frame which may have associated runes painted or engraved or drawn on it. (...)

Hello,

Just wondering, do these runes serve as a sort of protective barrier? Scrying seems riskier to use and my kung fu probably isn't strong enough to control whatever lies within it. Is there some sort of cleansing technique/ritual to kind of seal or prevent anything from escaping the mirror as we use it? Yeah, I was thinking of engraving the runes around the frame as a sort of protection, but I'm open for better suggestions.

Guest Nighthunter

Been thinging of getting a mirror after reading this I thing I will maybe make one myself.

If I get in trouble i'll shout very loud. hopefully someone will hear.

Hello,

Just wondering, do these runes serve as a sort of protective barrier? Scrying seems riskier to use and my kung fu probably isn't strong enough to control whatever lies within it. Is there some sort of cleansing technique/ritual to kind of seal or prevent anything from escaping the mirror as we use it? Yeah, I was thinking of engraving the runes around the frame as a sort of protection, but I'm open for better suggestions.

I wanted to make the point that, while runes are perfectly acceptable protective symbols and have many applications in divination and other Craft practices, please choose protective symbols that have meaning to you personally. I use symbols inherent to my family, but to illustrate my point, let's consider the symbol of the "heart". A heart-shape would be associated with love in many cultures. Therefore, using a heart-shape in spell work intended to invoke feelings of love would be acceptable for many Witchy folks. I would suggest taking some time to identify symbols that represent strength, protection, etc. to you and incorporating those into the frame of your magic mirror. If runes happen to speak to you, by all means use them, but don't get wrapped up into someone else's practice without giving careful consideration to your needs.

Jevne

While nowhere near as nice as 53's mirrors, I bought one from the local bookstore. It came with a book and DVD.

http://www.amazon.com/Magic-Mirror-Divination-through-Ancient/dp/1571745505

It's circular, about 5 or 6 inches in diameter. (around 14cm)

For the meantime, it's more decoration than tool, as I don't feel ready for scrying yet, but it's there when I'm ready to move onto it, and it provides a nice addition to the environment in my room, which, in it's own way, serves a purpose.

I'd read somewhere that scrying and divination are really different things with similar goals. The source I read defined the difference as being that divination used distinct pre-defined symbols (tarot cards, runes, I-ching, etc) whereas scying was .. (paraphrasing) sort of loosely association based, seeing with your mind's inner eye, so to speak. Whatcha all think?

Oh, also, I just ran across this video - how to make your own:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SB-tm1K0wE

Found this; thought to give it a bump. :D