• Please log in to reply
137 replies to this topic

#121 Solanaceae

Solanaceae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 07:01 PM

I made a one using a watch glass (which is the curved glass or plastic face covering a clock - you can buy them from a Clock repair shop). Buy also a small pot of black paint - if you get blackboard paint this has good covering powers and you might need only two coats in between drying it off. Paint the side that is convex and have the concave side facing you. You may need to put it in a frame of some sort to protect the back. When its done, consecrate and name it in your own way. I find it is useful to name my tools and give them a personality. It will get a personality from you - every time you use it. But you can add more if you want it to be strong at doing what it does. It takes the place of a crystal ball, but since you made it and in a way, birthed it, it is stronger I find, than buying a crystal ball in a Rock Shop or shop that sells occult paraphenalia - which I find are soul-less places on the whole.

I have made two black mirrors for my own use, one is quite large, the other about the size of a hand mirror. I like the idea of making one with a small surface like a watch face, for convenience and portability. I do have I crystal ball as well. It works nicely, but I do prefer the black mirrors.

Some are born to sweet delight,

Some are born to endless night.

(Fragments from "Auguries of Innocence") William Blake

#122 Aloe

Aloe

ridge running Ozark banshee..

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,420 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 07:19 PM

The rose and egg yolk are connecting points for the purpose of that particular mirror.  Egg yolk for me connects to the concept/energy/etc. of germination, new beginnings, etc.  I could expound on the symbolism of the rose but I know I'd be preaching to the choir. :wink:

As far as not taking pictures of them, that's purely due to my ridiculous level of superstition about mirrors.  I'd like to call it magical rules or something that sounds more intelligent but it wouldn't really be honest.. when it comes to mirrors (especially craft mirrors) I'm like a broom wielding granny driving the photographer out because she doesn't want her soul trapped in a picture box LOL!!   

Attached Files

"The people who live in the Ozark country of Missouri and Arkansas were, until very recently, the most deliberately unprogressive people in the United States. Descended from pioneers who came West from the Southern Appalachians at the beginning of the nineteenth century, they made little contact with the outer world for more than a hundred years. They seem like foreigners to the average urban American, but nearly all of them come of British stock, and many families have lived in America since colonial days. Their material heirlooms are few, but like all isolated illiterates they have clung to the old songs and obsolete sayings and outworn customs of their ancestors." Ozark Magic and Folklore

#123 Autumn Moon

Autumn Moon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 07:25 PM

LOL. Thanks for the info. Liked the granny/cookie jpg.

In the past, this person kept asking to have/take a picture of me. I kept declining. Finally I was asked it I thought the camera would capture my soul. I said, I'd have to have one for it to capture, lol.

#124 Raineylane

Raineylane

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 565 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 12:49 PM

LOL. Thanks for the info. Liked the granny/cookie jpg.

In the past, this person kept asking to have/take a picture of me. I kept declining. Finally I was asked it I thought the camera would capture my soul. I said, I'd have to have one for it to capture, lol.

:rofl:

#125 Autumn Moon

Autumn Moon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 05:28 PM

I'll take it you are laughing about the soul thing and not my typos - which I've had too many of lately, snow tired I guess, lol. The sentence should have been ' asked if I thought....'

#126 Raineylane

Raineylane

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 565 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 01:36 PM

I'll take it you are laughing about the soul thing and not my typos - which I've had too many of lately, snow tired I guess, lol. The sentence should have been ' asked if I thought....'

No, not laughing at the typo.  I'm guilty of too many myself.  I thought your answer was perfect.  I too hate people insisting on taking my pic. Makes me wonder what they plan on doing with it.

#127 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 02:11 PM

No, not laughing at the typo.  I'm guilty of too many myself.  I thought your answer was perfect.  I too hate people insisting on taking my pic. Makes me wonder what they plan on doing with it.

OT, but I agree.  I hate having my picture taken, anyway, but when they insist upon it, I get pissed.  It makes me feel violated.  It makes me wonder, what they are going to do with it, too.  When people post multiple pictures of themselves AND THEIR CHILDREN all over the place, including on here and other places full of total strangers . . . OMFG!  Those people need to read the thread on taglocks.

Rant over.

#128 Autumn Moon

Autumn Moon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 05:32 PM

Makes me wonder what they plan on doing with it.

_____

Me too. I'm thinking, 'what do you want it for'? Must be the paranoid witch in me, lol. That, together with me not being photogenic most of the time, makes me cringe.

#129 Wexler

Wexler

Something wrong? Blame retrograde

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 05:52 PM

The other day on campus, a young man came up to me with a very fancy camera and asked if he could take a few photos of me. I assumed he was a photography student and I said, "sure." When he began taking a photo or two I said, "this is for a class, right?" He said, "nope." This weirded me out a great deal. Later, when I was waiting for my class to open, he found me again and started taking more pictures without saying anything. This is what I get for trying to be helpful to students :razz:

'Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.'

'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.'

[avatar source]

#130 Lynn

Lynn

I've been InBetween

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 858 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 11:31 PM

I am finished with the physical construction of the mirror! Thought I would post a picture here before I spell it for use and hang it above my altar.

I've never done this before--the mirror or frame glass keeps its sheen when painted or do you use a gloss??

'When in danger, when in doubt, Run in circles, scream and shout" Robert Heinlein.
"Women and cats will do as they please, men and dogs need to relax and get used to the idea." Robert Heinlein

"In Wildness is the preservation of the World." Henry David Thoreau

#131 Lynn

Lynn

I've been InBetween

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 858 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 11:43 PM

Aloe

I wondered what the heck is rose attar, so I googled it.

Now, I'm wondering what the rose attar and egg yolk (plus blood) are mean't for on the back inside (if you don't want to say, fair enough), and you don't take pictures of them - again, I am curious (polite word for nosy) and I am wondering the reason there of.

LOl!  That's my polite word for nosy too AM. :) Hey, hi! btw, long time no write to. :) 

'When in danger, when in doubt, Run in circles, scream and shout" Robert Heinlein.
"Women and cats will do as they please, men and dogs need to relax and get used to the idea." Robert Heinlein

#132 Solanaceae

Solanaceae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 01:04 AM

On the back of clear glass, matt or gloss works, as the glass dose indeed keep it sheen. I like the look of a gloss best myself, but I've tried both and both work nicely. Good luck!

#133 Autumn Moon

Autumn Moon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 03:27 AM

LOl!  That's my polite word for nosy too AM. :smile: Hey, hi! btw, long time no write to. :smile:

_____

Hey, Hi Lynn. I was wondering when you might pop in. You missed all the dramatics, but then who needs them.

#134 Lynn

Lynn

I've been InBetween

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 858 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 04:55 PM

On the back of clear glass, matt or gloss works, as the glass dose indeed keep it sheen. I like the look of a gloss best myself, but I've tried both and both work nicely. Good luck!

OOooh, *regular* glass, not mirrored glass and on the *back*!
*sigh* DOH!

TY,  I had a mental-pause day I suppose.  I have thought about playing with mirrors, but haven't yet. Really fascinates me!

Edited by Lynn, 16 February 2014 - 04:59 PM.

#135 Lynn

Lynn

I've been InBetween

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 858 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 04:58 PM

_____

Hey, Hi Lynn. I was wondering when you might pop in. You missed all the dramatics, but then who needs them.

Reading them is a guilty pleasure of mine. (as is sometimes playing with the drama-king/queen)  But ultimately, I agree, and have to be careful not to indulge too much because it just isn't good for me. :)
k, I know off-topic!  Moving on!!

#136 Solanaceae

Solanaceae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 02:05 AM

I liked the idea of a making a small black mirror with a watch face, and then I thought about the old pocket watch I have, using that as an easily portable black mirror, also since  it is on a chain it could work as a pendulum as well. A double purpose pocket tool!

#137 Solanaceae

Solanaceae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 02:23 AM

Another idea would be to use the lenses of eye glasses for smaller black mirrors, or even the entire set of eye glasses, this could be very useful if you wanted to see through someone elses eyes.

#138 LongGone

LongGone

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 21 December 2015 - 02:03 PM

I used to have a book that had instructions to make a beautiful black mirror, so I did. I never could get a good read with it, but I think that was down to me and not the mirror. Anywho, in the instructions it said you needed to charge the mirror. Seems that moonlight had something to do with it and you needed to always store it covered with a cloth just for that purpose, and not leave it out uncovered because it is a portal. I made a bag, like a large dice bag that was lined with silk. Seemed to work just fine. Loved seeing this post. I think I will make another one and see if I can get better at scrying with one.