149 replies to this topic

#121 moonthorn

moonthorn

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 12:42 AM

I adore this thread. I've gone through & read it all. I've +1 to a few & you've all right said it! Thank you for this.

#122 Wexler

Wexler

Something wrong? Blame retrograde

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 18 March 2016 - 12:23 AM

I'm posting this to see how I feel about it a year or two down the line :D

If I could transport a note back several years to when I was blindly feeling for my path, this is what it would say:

• Learn to listen to the invisible world around you. You cannot connect if you can't listen and understand.
  • Don't be so afraid. Jump in with both feet; you're smart enough to not aim for hot water.
  • Put all concepts of correctness out of your head. Don't waste time worrying about if you are doing things "right". If you are dedicated, you will find your path, wherever it leads.
  • Who you are is not going to change and you will not 'lose' yourself. You are just going to find out who you really are. Don't be worried about this; it's amazing.
  • Do not be consumed by anxiety about how to treat the new world you can now interact with. Remain grounded and use common sense.

One of the few things I have written I no longer agree with.

'Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.'

'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.'

[avatar source]

#123 Kalinia

Kalinia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 612 posts

Posted 18 March 2016 - 02:04 AM

What don't you agree with any longer ? Do you suffer from anxiety as well?

#124 Wexler

Wexler

Something wrong? Blame retrograde

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 18 March 2016 - 02:23 AM

What don't you agree with any longer ? Do you suffer from anxiety as well?

Haha, well, I do have anxiety as you saw in the other thread.

Basically I go through phases of optimism and pessimism in the Craft, this one I think was one of my overly optimistic phases. Now that I re-read it again, I guess it is not such a bad message. I definitely do not agree any more about jumping in with both feet, though!

'Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.'

'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.'

[avatar source]

#125 Nera

Nera

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 19 March 2016 - 06:42 PM

I would say to my younger self that I should stop repressing what I feel. No, I can not fit into other people's traps, call it religions, gender roles or social expectations. Yes, the woman who was telling you about the herbs and than vanished into thin air... IS real, and yes, the stories of your grandmother about the faeries and the little people are also probably true, those shadow people around you, also real. Stop resisting the supernatural, because it's very natural to you.
Secondly, go with your gut instincts, put the books down and go learn from nature.
And the last, but certainly not the least,... be careful what spells are you doing. Magick is very, very real, as you will find out. When you set something in motion, it just might come back and bite your arrogant ass. It's OK, now you've learned that painful lesson. That's what they mean when thay call this path the Crooked Path. You learn as you go.

Edited by Nera, 19 March 2016 - 06:43 PM.

"There are some who may seem -seem not- as others seem,

who walk life's ragged mile

hid' beneath Man's common guise.

Yet such are they that seem by day,

who walk abroad by night."

#126 Belle

Belle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 20 March 2016 - 05:58 AM

I would tell myself to 'leave my pride at the door'....

here is a little spell.... I wouldn't want any spoilers, but I like to be reassured. 

The first thing that we'd say to you

is that you have a job to do.

The second fact we would relay,

Is everything will be ok.

#127 jefftos

jefftos

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 20 March 2016 - 01:23 PM

For when I was 10 or so I would say to him to stop repressing your gifts for the sake of your religion. There is a reason you are trying to stretch out your psychic muscles, don't stop. For me in my twenties, put down the books dude, find a couple practices you enjoy and start exploring them, reading is great and all but your going to find that the best lessons are learned in practice and in everyday life.

#128 Edge

Edge

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 20 March 2016 - 04:35 PM

Dear younger me,

You are not any less of a witch or whatever than anyone else. That stuff that you do that you think everyone does? That's the same stuff they're talking about as if it's special. You already know what you're doing even though it doesn't feel like it. You're already doing it.

Don't feel bad because it seems that other people can do things you can't. You can do things they can't.

Other people do not have any answers or advice that are applicable to you that you don't already know.

You know that ceremony stuff that feels uncomfortable? Not your thing. Have fun.

Pay attention in botany.

#129 frane

frane

• Seekers
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 21 March 2016 - 06:40 AM

I would tell my younger self to be happy with what comes naturally and that it is not from 'evil influences'. That took a long time for me to learn, I wish I had learnt it a LOT earlier... damn wish time machines were real.

#130 PapaGheny

PapaGheny

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 02 April 2016 - 04:48 AM

Lots of good advice floating around here. I would have to go with,

Really learn to understand consequences. Good or bad, consequences aren't punishments they are your rewards from outcomes you helped design. And, trying to fight or avoid them is like working for a meal then throwing it away. Except your consequences with pride and add them to you.

I likely could have saved a half dozen years with that.

Edited by PapaGheny, 28 April 2016 - 11:55 AM.

#131 Turncoat

Turncoat

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 02 April 2016 - 06:32 AM

Hm, two bits...

What you saw that night across the hallway was real. Dad confirmed a similar experience of his own when you finally did bring it up, and even he didn't believe his own theory of a weirdly coquettish 'guardian angel'. Keep your eyes open, and pay attention to the bits that stir up that sense of something-more....it isn't all scary.

Also, stop looking at time invested in an interest, practice, or belief that you don't ultimately stick with as time that the locusts have eaten. A path is continuous, and even the most contrary detours contribute to the complete journey.

Tell me strange things.

#132 aefre

aefre

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 02 April 2016 - 01:31 PM

One of the few things I have written I no longer agree with.

For some reason I can't copy/steal Wexlers quote, but the whole thing about 'correctness', and doing things right, and then forgetting about those 2 things, I totally agree with :)

Too much time have I wasted on trying to do things 'properly'.  What I finally realised, was that, to quote Frank Sinatra' : "to do it my way" B)

Be nice or go away!

#133 aefre

aefre

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 02 April 2016 - 01:33 PM

The first thing that we'd say to you

is that you have a job to do.

The second fact we would relay,

Is everything will be ok.

I'm also a HUGE fan of Belle :)

Be nice or go away!

#134 odalibuc

odalibuc

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 02 April 2016 - 02:32 PM

1: Stop being Christian; you'll just keep feeling isolated and confused.

2: Don't doubt yourself so much about magic; just because it can be hard to see doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

3: Trust yourself to see and sense things, but seek out help (or at least a second opinion) if possible. Intuition is not 100%.

4: You'll find your niche and some friends who will support you with this. Just give it a little time.

#135 Eis

Eis

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 14 April 2016 - 06:20 PM

Dear beloved, younger Self, you bright-eyed little witchling...

Slow down... focus on one thing at a time. 

There's a lot out there and you will never be able to read or do all the things that you want to read and do.  Better to do a few extremely well than do all poorly.

Know yourself - you won't get far in Craft or life without knowing who you are and what you really want. 

Put the damned book down and go do the things! Witchcraft is called a 'practice' for a very good reason!

Oh, so you want to do things to honor your familiar spirits and guides?  Why not just ask them what the hell they want!  It's a lot easier when you learn to pay attention! 

Take what you read and hear with a bowl of salt; and always remember that your intuition and brains should be the authority.  Not someone else, but you can learn from others. 

All the ritual and hoo-ha in the world doesn't amount to shit if you don't have a good working relationship with your deities/spirits: sometimes the woods are deep and dark and it isn't exactly safe or desirable to go it alone. 

When you're totally stumped and befuddled, just sit in silence for a minute and ask the ones you trust to let you know just where you should go next.  Sometimes it was staring you in the face the whole time.

Above all, stop doubting yourself so much.  If you don't believe in yourself, who else will?

#136 Abraxia Thalgus

Abraxia Thalgus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 28 April 2016 - 11:00 AM

Stop seeing the love and approval of others, your own is enough.

Dare more (I was scared of everything).

...you need a lot of courage in this life, to make some of the choices you have to make. That's natural. I mean, you can't sit back like an amoeba and just regenerate yourself. You've got to be an exciting, dynamic human being, and there are choices you're going to make that's going to cause you some difficulty, and if it requires some courage on your part, then do it. - Charles Perkins, Arunta Elder, 1998

#137 Zombee

Zombee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 21 May 2016 - 03:09 PM

I took me years to stop trying to fit. and to be my own tradition. I guess I had to learn what I was not before knowing what I AM. I like me much better my way. I don't need to "do" magic, I "am" magic. That's the core of being a human.

#138 Llyr

Llyr

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 23 May 2016 - 02:20 PM

Dear younger self.

Have faith in the people you can't see more than the people you can.

Don't feel pressured by people you can see who want you to change when it's the people that you can't see that are helping you and protecting you.

Don't worry about how to do magic... magic is happening all around you everyday whether you know it or not.. all you have to do to use it is recognise it.

Oh.... and smile you miserable bastard.

#139 odalibuc

odalibuc

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 27 May 2016 - 02:01 AM

Another note to Me from the Past:

Clean your room more. Negative, muddy energy is just going to build up and you'll be miserable.

#140 Leighqt

Leighqt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 04 February 2017 - 08:10 PM

Ha ha odalibuc that is a very good reason to clean your room