• Please log in to reply
149 replies to this topic

#101 CailinRua

CailinRua

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 03:38 PM

Don't let partners dissuade you from your path just because they think you are a bit woowoo.

This is a good one. I tend to keep it to myself anyway, but i dont neglect it for anyone anymore. I had a boyfriend once who started mocking the idea when i even brought up paganism (testing waters, glad i did, he was a shit), and while i was with him i felt stifled and grey. Life's too short to comprimise your spirit or passions for any reason.

#102 Wexler

Wexler

Something wrong? Blame retrograde

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 06:09 PM

"Don't squander the gold of your days, listening to the tedious, trying to improve the hopeless failure, or giving away your life to the ignorant, the common, and the vulgar. - Oscar Wilde

'Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.'

'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.'

[avatar source]

#103 Caps

Caps

Phytokinesist

• Moderators
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 04:34 AM

I thought this was an interesting topic to come across and I enjoyed reading it.

I never thought I would say this to myself... again...

"Use protection" ;)

Beyond that, I would suggest to have never been practicing with some of the groups I became involved with because of personal reasons. I don't regret doing it ultimately but I think it would have made my transition into my current path a lot simpler if I hadn't been dragged through the cult-like hazing dumb shit that I did, and participated in doing it to others.

another one would be to "know thyself, witch"
I was immersing myself in things that I had no business/experience doing yet my teenage ego told me I was bulletproof. The catch-22 is that I wouldn't have the experience that I have now without having done those things.

:

"It is the still and silent sea that drowns a man." - Old Norse proverb

"It is better to be a warrior in a garden than a gardener in a war."

#104 ArcticWitch

ArcticWitch

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 06:43 PM

Dear self of 2013,

Your intuition and instincts are your greatest assets. Never, ever dismiss or reject what they tell you.

Keep an open mind, trust yourself, and leave your expectations at the door. You're going to experience things that you've never read or heard about, but that doesn't mean you're not equipped to properly deal with them.

Don't put the title of "witch" on a pedestal. It's just a word; all witches are human; all you have to do is be true to yourself and your Path to use that label for yourself, if you so choose.

Be discreet, but not to the point that you try to create a decoy by deriding your beliefs and other occult practices when in social situations.

"Going with the flow", when it's appropriate to do so, not only applies to external situations, but to your internal energies as well. Stop trying to control every single one of your energies every second of every damn day.

Don't put yourself under pressure to "do something witchy" on a routine basis. Witchcraft is as much a state of being as it is an activity. You're not any more of less a witch based on how many spells you've cast or divinations you've performed.

It's all worth it. You don't even realize that you're incomplete now, but this journey will make you complete in ways you can't even fathom.

#105 Lilitia

Lilitia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 06 February 2015 - 11:45 AM

Dear Younger Me:

1) Put the Wicca books down, girl. Scott Cunningham is a jackass.
2) Be proud of what your dad has taught you. He's not the best person in the world but he is wise.
3) Chaos and Faerie are not your thing. Walk away.
4) Don't feel guilty because you have not found the path that is your own by age 21! Or age 25! Or 30! Just keep looking and walking and your feet will find the path. You will be ON the path before you realize it.
5) Don't be afraid to get lost, both literally and metaphorically. Go to a new town and get good and lost, then find your way back. Walk a new spiritual path. You may just find where you are supposed to go. Drop the map. Just go.
6) Look into the eyes of the men you guard in Huntsville. They face death and may see what you do not.
7) Know what you are good at, but know what you are not good at as well. It is okay to have limitations, it is human.
8) Let go of all that ritualistic crap (and the guilt!) of your Catholic upbringing. Do what feels right.
9) Never stop learning or studying not just your own path but that of others, and every other subject you can get your hands on as well.
10) No matter what people may say or do where you live, your skin color does not determine what you should do spiritually
11) Never base your decisions on what someone else (a man, your bitch ass mother, etc) wants, from where to go for dinner to what degree you pursue. Do what you want.
12) You will try to tell yourself all this shit. You will not listen because you are, well, you. And that's cool, too
13) You will try to teach your son this shit. He will not listen because he is, well, your kid...and his own person, too. And that's also cool. He is the most amazing person you will ever be lucky enough to love.

Edited by RachelLiz, 06 February 2015 - 11:47 AM.

My mama used to tell me 'bout these
Broke, poachin' ass bitches in these streets,
So many people wanna see me fall,
Invite me to the table but don't want me to eat at all.... ---- Z'Ro the Crooked

#106 ArcticWitch

ArcticWitch

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 05:56 PM

Dear self of 2015,

You think that you have eliminated organized religion's impact on your logic. But its influence continued to linger, as subtle as it may be.

Religion is about what you "deserve". Witchcraft is about what you can negotiate. And you've always been a damn fine negotiator when you really want something.

Signed,
Always Learning

#107 Edge

Edge

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 07:36 PM

It doesn't matter if it's real or not. It's always going to be real to me regardless and it is far better to accept it than to drive myself crazy trying to make it go away.
Just because someone thinks they know better doesn't mean that they do.
My path is mine. Other people don't have to like it.

#108 Perchtin

Perchtin

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 23 January 2016 - 10:22 AM

Dear 16 years old me: keep trying.

Hexen stehen immer zwischen Birken.

#109 RapunzelGnome

RapunzelGnome

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 23 January 2016 - 06:06 PM

I'm still pretty much a newb, but if I could go back a year or so, I would tell myself:

Don't feel like you've got to spend so much money on tools and herbs and crystals and books right off the bat. You won't even know what to do with that stuff yet and while owning it might make you feel more "witchy," you should really be finding the witch inside first (and saving yo gottdern money, fool!)

Instead, use a small number of select herbs and start building a strong relationship with them first. Use the heaping loads of lavender you already have and get to know the spirit of the herb intimately. Don't let your mint and rosemary plants die when winter comes, but get intimately acquainted with their needs and life rhythms. Connect with them. If you need to buy something, get enough mugwort that you can use it liberally and get to know Mugwort...she will teach you so much more than any book. She's been teaching witches and healers and shamans across the continents since the beginning.

Don't just buy a "starter kit" of herbs that gives you half an ounce of thirty different herbs. That money is better spent on larger quantities of a few herbs that you can invest some time into. That lesson is going to be pretty much universal on the path....invest time and patience into every step you take before skipping off to the next thing. You've got a lifetime to master this stuff, so build a solid foundation first instead of spreading yourself thin across a wide range of subjects.

What you will learn from working intimately with the spirits of these few herbs will equip you for what you will want to do later. Don't let yourself get too distracted with crappy internet spells for things you probably don't need to change in the first place, just because you want to "feel" yourself doing spellwork. Working with the herbs IS spellwork, so don't put it off. The goosebumps and feelings will come with time. Instead of scrolling through Pinterest for hours, use that time to for your inner world, meditation and energy work. I know it doesn't SEEM like it's all that much more magical than the mediation you've been doing for years, but that's because you've only scratched the surface of what meditation can actually do. Study up. Listen to people that know more than you. Then go deeper.

Now listen here, you: Don't get so wrapped up in other people's problems that you ignore your own. I know...this one is hard, cuz it's way easier to push your depressing and shitty issues aside right now. But a year from now when you are wondering why you haven't made any progress in your big life situations, it will become pretty clear where you put most of your energy and you don't have much to show for it.

Be consistent in working with your ancestors and your house/land spirits. They respond quickly and with kindness and it encourages you. And they will teach you as soon as you figure out how to listen.

The tools that you need and will use the most are the ones that are given to you...by the land, by your ancestors, etc. The ones you don't go searching for, they just show up when you need them, on sale at the thrift shop, or laying in park, or propped up next to your favorite tree.

Long story short...be patient. Be open. Be deep.

Edited by RapunzelGnome, 23 January 2016 - 06:19 PM.

#110 Aina

Aina

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 24 January 2016 - 03:51 PM

Never regret the many paths you'll walk down. Each one will help you work on an aspect of your life.

You're strong than you think.

Trust yourself and be true to yourself.

Contrary to what others tell you, you won't lose yourself - you'll find yourself.

In 2009, mom will pass away. Listen carefully, she says something to you that will change your life.

#111 YanaKhan

YanaKhan

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 01 February 2016 - 10:29 AM

Oh, this is a wonderful thread! May I?
Here we go:

Dear newbie,don't listen to all conceited people who have done a spell or two when they tell you you can't follow your own path because it's not theirs.
Don't try to follow paths you feel are not yours.
Read all the occult books and articles you can find, but learn to take most with a grain of salt.
Don't cast if you are not ready and certain of what you're doing.
If you follow my advice, you'll save yourself a lot of drama and headache :) Thank you.

When everybody is thinking the same, nobody is thinking enough!

#112 Nightshade

Nightshade

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 12 February 2016 - 11:37 PM

I actually don't have much that I'd tell my younger self.  Whatever she went through was part of the growth process, and I learned a lot from it.

That being said, there are a few things I'd tell her:

Don't read occult books.  They're a waste of time and money.  You already know what to do.

Do your job, even when you don't want to.

Try not to kill anyone.

For the love of god, talk to the guy on the plane.

That's about it.

#113 Ravenshaw

Ravenshaw

Life is good

• Moderators
  • 1,155 posts

Posted 13 February 2016 - 04:23 AM

I'd tell myself now to keep going with the current, even if there's rapids ahead. Swimming away from it takes too much energy and probably won't do you any good. Rapids happen. Also, I'd tell my younger self to just put the damn protections up! Find the time - it's worth it! It stops a lot of ridiculous shit from happening, and in the long run it's way easier to protect than it is to solve.  And, don't be afraid to cut fraying threads. It's better to make a clean cut than to fall while trying to hold on. 

And lastly, don't poke the dragon. Just don't.

Edited by Ravenshaw, 15 February 2016 - 04:02 PM.

RSKHFMY

#114 RapunzelGnome

RapunzelGnome

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 13 February 2016 - 06:11 AM

And, don't be afraid to cut fraying threads. It's better to make a clean cut than to fall while trying to hold on.

...ah. That's an uncomfortable message that I needed to hear tonight for my own good. Way too timely.

#115 Oroboros

Oroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 13 February 2016 - 11:40 PM

(@R.G. Here, here, on the mugwort -I enthusiastically share your appreciation.:))

Advice to my ever learning self-

the same lesson(s) a friend has been trying to get acrossed to me I think:

First, identify what you already KNOW and carefully examine those things.
Second, when your scientific mind starts questioning what you already KNOW, tell it to piss off, it doesn't know everything.
Third, don't waste precious opportunities arguing with said skeptical self- see above.

The irony is I don't have this issue with other people, I can accept that what they are telling me is their truth, and their experience even if it differs from my own(except when the full on b.s. dectector starts sounding). But man can I waste some serious energy having inner dialogue about going through an ever changing and somewhat arbitrary (therefore stupid) checklist to verify an experience as valid or invalid... An event, revelation, spell effect, you name it- my go to response has been to lay it out in bright light, put on glasses and determine whether or not I think it deserves a "mundane" or "magical" stamp. All the while, being fairly certain of the answer. I suppose it has been my thought that failing to do this would put me in the naive, gullible, or otherwise unhinged in a negative way. The special irony of this being, that the most magical things I have done and experienced involved listening to the "still small voice" and trusting that- one would think this would have broken this habit, but nooo.

So, fourth, trust you instinct, inner knowing, information handed to you that has that certain ring of truth to it. Yes, stubborn-ass-self, this is kind of everything, nowhere to go but in circles, if you can't get this concept.

Lastly, there is a reason, actually many reasons, for secrecy in craft. This is not a "burn your bra" moment, as appealing as that may seem at times:).

...From ev’ry depth of good and ill , The mystery which binds me still...— Poe

#116 Oroboros

Oroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 13 February 2016 - 11:45 PM

@ravenshaw, +1 from me

#117 Jaesin

Jaesin

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 15 February 2016 - 11:29 AM

1) Don't judge witchcraft (or the legitimacy of your practice thereof) by the actions of the people.  Some people have no idea what they are doing. 

2) Keep a Journal of your conversations with Spirit (whether in dreams, myrk riding, or journeying, etc.)

3) Don't get sucked into the ancient bloodline-lineage drama.  Your life as a witch is not determined by your blood line, nor does any claim to a bloodline make a person any more powerful than one called to be a witch.

4) Just because a person wrote a book about it, does not mean that they are the end all of the subject.  There is a lot of crap out there, in fact more nonsense than that which is valid.

5) Study the folklore of the path in which you choose or are looking to chose to follow.  The folklore contains many secrets to be discovered.

Living the Old Ways in new days,

Jaesin Thorn FB

#118 Oroboros

Oroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 15 February 2016 - 11:32 AM

What a great thread...

#119 Ravenshaw

Ravenshaw

Life is good

• Moderators
  • 1,155 posts

Posted 15 February 2016 - 04:05 PM

(@R.G. Here, here, on the mugwort -I enthusiastically share your appreciation. :))

Advice to my ever learning self-

the same lesson(s) a friend has been trying to get acrossed to me I think:

First, identify what you already KNOW and carefully examine those things.
Second, when your scientific mind starts questioning what you already KNOW, tell it to piss off, it doesn't know everything.
Third, don't waste precious opportunities arguing with said skeptical self- see above.

The irony is I don't have this issue with other people, I can accept that what they are telling me is their truth, and their experience even if it differs from my own(except when the full on b.s. dectector starts sounding). But man can I waste some serious energy having inner dialogue about going through an ever changing and somewhat arbitrary (therefore stupid) checklist to verify an experience as valid or invalid... An event, revelation, spell effect, you name it- my go to response has been to lay it out in bright light, put on glasses and determine whether or not I think it deserves a "mundane" or "magical" stamp. All the while, being fairly certain of the answer. I suppose it has been my thought that failing to do this would put me in the naive, gullible, or otherwise unhinged in a negative way. The special irony of this being, that the most magical things I have done and experienced involved listening to the "still small voice" and trusting that- one would think this would have broken this habit, but nooo.

So, fourth, trust you instinct, inner knowing, information handed to you that has that certain ring of truth to it. Yes, stubborn-ass-self, this is kind of everything, nowhere to go but in circles, if you can't get this concept.

Lastly, there is a reason, actually many reasons, for secrecy in craft. This is not a "burn your bra" moment, as appealing as that may seem at times:).

You bring up a great point about listening to "that" voice. It's so small sometimes and so easy to override... I hate that feeling when things finally hit the fan and you remember that your little voice told you exactly what would happen, but instead you logic through and...you were wrong. Should of listened to little voice. -_-

Edited by Ravenshaw, 15 February 2016 - 04:05 PM.

RSKHFMY

#120 Kalinia

Kalinia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 612 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 01:21 AM

Don't just read. Practice. Find out what works for you, not just for others.