149 replies to this topic

#81 Evergreen47

Evergreen47

Ms. Spock

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:51 PM

My granddaughter has 5 grandmothers, so the name "grandma" was out. I wanted her to call me Hag, but everyone had a shit-fit, lol lol.

M

What about "crone" instead? I think that's a good grandmother-y alternative!

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

-=Frank Herbert=-

Rock on, gold dust woman. Take your silver spoon and dig your grave.

#82 Kera

Kera

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 08:00 PM

Well, shit....another laundry-list! lol

Dear Fledgling Witch Self:

Books are for research, and your own convenience, and to satisfy curiosity. They aren't an all-or-nothing guide to how to approach your path, and you can skip over things you don't agree with. The way you go about your path is entirely up to you.

You follow your instincts, write stuff down, come to your own conclusions, and use those as guidelines.

Also, Wicca is a religion, not all witchcraft (threefold law is bunk, and you'll understand why in time). Don't subscribe to their dogma, please. Don't just look at books pertaining only to witchcraft, either. Read up on foreign culture, philosophy, other religions, art history, etc. I know you think religion is bullshit, but read about it anyway. It will be very useful in your path.

Also, despite how cynical you're being about all this 'witchcraft' business, you DO have a gift! Read about energy work! Get a pendulum! You'll figure out what it is! You don't need the witch's need-to-have list to be a witch! Just...do it!

And just because you dated a Wiccan and hate him forever now DOES NOT mean you should stop practicing witchcraft! It's for your own benefit to keep that spark alight! You have a lot more than he ever did or ever will have!

Anyway, I'm done nagging you. Just please consider what I've told you.

Sincerely,

Holly (from the future)

*Twilight Zone theme plays*

I think you're advice is awesome!! You are inspiring, I will check the pendulem, I actually have a brass one that I wear as jewelry. How do I use it? It is supposed to guide correct?

Why Pamper Life's Complexities When the Leather Runs Smooth On The Passenger Seat -Morrissey

#83 Kera

Kera

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 08:03 PM

What about "crone" instead? I think that's a good grandmother-y alternative!

This is a hillarious conversation, I love it! How about Grandwitch? :vhappywitch:

Why Pamper Life's Complexities When the Leather Runs Smooth On The Passenger Seat -Morrissey

#84 Wexler

Wexler

Something wrong? Blame retrograde

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 07:53 PM

I'm posting this to see how I feel about it a year or two down the line :biggrin:

If I could transport a note back several years to when I was blindly feeling for my path, this is what it would say:

• Learn to listen to the invisible world around you. You cannot connect if you can't listen and understand.
  • Don't be so afraid. Jump in with both feet; you're smart enough to not aim for hot water.
  • Put all concepts of correctness out of your head. Don't waste time worrying about if you are doing things "right". If you are dedicated, you will find your path, wherever it leads.
  • Who you are is not going to change and you will not 'lose' yourself. You are just going to find out who you really are. Don't be worried about this; it's amazing.
  • Do not be consumed by anxiety about how to treat the new world you can now interact with. Remain grounded and use common sense.

'Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.'

'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.'

[avatar source]

#85 SerpentWitch

SerpentWitch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 06:24 PM

I would tell myself not to be afraid to entirely choose my own path. Don't focus on wicca just because that's what they tell you to do. Don't celebrate something just because that's what other people do. Don't allow anyone to stop you from being who you are.

Posted ImageWalking in Darkness

#86 Nikki

Nikki

Air Bender

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,051 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 04:10 PM

Keep simple.

Keep it real.

Above all: Trust your instincts. 

The difference between Medicine and Poison is the Dose. :oil-bottle:
I Love you as certain Dark Things are to be Loved,
In Secret, Between the Shadow and the Soul.
- Pablo Neruda

#87 Galen

Galen

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 10:39 PM

Acquire the basic knowledge, then don't be afraid to jump in; work those spells. You will succeed some, you will fail some, but your crafting will grow each time.

#88 Raineylane

Raineylane

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 565 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 02:02 PM

Listen and learn from others, if you can find them.  Not get too caught up in "my way is the only way" or "their way is the only way." 

#89 RoseRed

RoseRed

. . . Not a big believer in . . . cowinkydink ;)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 02:31 PM

Don't be afraid to jump.

When my wings get tired I grab my broom.

#90 MaryElizabeth

MaryElizabeth

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 07:02 PM

though still very much a newb, i wish i'd gone on my own path a years ago. So if i could tell my younger self anything it'd be that it's okay to be confused and question everything, trust yourself to find your own way.

Why have gender roles when you can have pizza rolls?

#91 Roanna

Roanna

She of the spiders and degus...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 01:47 PM

How you get there, what you call yourself...none of it matters... It's all about the results...

Do what you believe to be the right thing and trust yourself.

Witchpathforward My website incorporating "Ask a Witch a Question," my blog and websites of witchy interest.

#92 Raineylane

Raineylane

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 565 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 09:03 PM

How you get there, what you call yourself...none of it matters... It's all about the results...

Absolutely!!!

#93 LynnBay

LynnBay

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 01:03 AM

Just keep swimming.

~Lynn by the Bay 

A Witch's Work is Never Done. 

#94 moonthorn

moonthorn

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 06:53 AM

I would say "You have much to learn. The books do not hold as much as what is inside you, but they hold some knowledge that will aid you."

I would also mention the word Fetch, as that is becoming & has become a large part of my work. Fetchcraft, in a way.

I'm still learning.

#95 BrythonicWitch

BrythonicWitch

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 03:42 PM

Dear Younger Self, 

Do things wrong. Make mistakes. Revel in them, as only through getting it wrong will you learn to get it right. 

Your instincts are there for a reason. Trust them. 

There are some great books on witchcraft out there. There are some really shit ones too. In time, you will learn to tell the difference. 

Witchcraft is just that - a craft. Like all crafts, you will do it your own way and put your own stamp on it - and this is the way it should be. 

"These late eclipses in the sun and moon portend no good to us." - King Lear

"The croaking raven doth bellow for revenge." - Hamlet 

#96 Tianore

Tianore

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 10:15 PM

To be unafraid of what other occult practitioners say about you or your way of doing things, not to be intimidated by more experienced magicians, and I say poodles to those that try to make me feel less than honest or intelligent due to lack of information or training in my younger days. Be open to learn anything practical and sensible to add ones own truth. 

There is as much light

In the shadows

As I find shadows

In the light

© Tianore

#97 Guest_monsnoleedra_*

Guest_monsnoleedra_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 May 2014 - 11:40 PM

Probably a bit controversial but i'd not go back and change anything nor recommend any change to anything.  To me even the consideration of going back and changing the pathway that created me seems to suggest there is either something I am lacking in today that hinders me or something I am at fought with, mentally, physically, psychologically or spiritually.   Both perspectives seem to suggest or imply that I should find some aspect incomplete or lacking in myself today.  There in it removes culpability from myself and tries to place it upon an earlier self.  A former self that can neither defend itself nor argue against a later self's selection of choices and outcomes.  In many aspects appearing to suggest an earlier self failed for some reason and the later self need not try to learn from it or correct it nor fully understand the ramifications from each event / action that acted as a catalyst upon their developing pathway.   A rose colored dream of what they think they might have been vice what they actually made of themselves from the experiences that molded and formed them.  That rose colored lenses almost always painted to the perspective it would have made them better today without consideration of how it could have made them far worse in an alternate timeline of experiences.

Imagine if the tables were reversed and you had to defend your choices to that earlier self and explain why you didn't take the less traveled route or fight harder.  Wonder what any of us would say to an older self that might coma back to us today and demand we justify why we made the ignorant choices each of us will make in the very days that are yet to come as we ponder what we'd have changed or suggested to an earlier self?

So in truth how can I even imagine, even to my own ego, going back to a younger self and trying to influence that aspect when it will be hard enough to justify and defend what I shall do tomorrow or next week.

#98 Kayt

Kayt

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 02:55 AM

I would probably say to myself after being so timid for so long...

"Grow some balls! Tiny, eeeny-weeny, toe-dipping-in-the-water balls...but do SOMETHING."

Edited by Kayt, 10 June 2014 - 02:56 AM.

#99 CailinRua

CailinRua

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 06:13 PM

That my intuition is better than I even realized, and to trust that heavy duty gift and listen to myself (i still remind myself of this from time to time). That there is no one practice or one way of going about things that makes magick work, the important thing is that it resonates inside and you feel it and work with it, again, much of what i do is very intuitive and second guessing my instincts has been the largest obstacle for myself so far. Satisfy all curiosities. I've never really had to TELL myself to do that, but in the early years i didnt think "big enough". Like many, i started learning about wicca first. It stalled me out for a while becuase what i was reading was silly to me and the excersizes i tried to do in the beginning always felt empty and i would get frustrated becuase i was missing something big and i knew it, i just didnt know what. So in the beginning my practice was sproadic because i would lose interest and stop a while, get pulled back, repeat until i figured out what i was looking for the whole time. I didnt know how big the world of witchcraft, shamanism, paganism, herbalism, etc, really was. expanding my horizon has opened the world up and if i could have done that earlier i would have. however, I havent "lost interest" in my path since i found it (my actual path, not the wiccish one i was wandering trying to find where i was being pulled). i am happy where i am now and where i am going with my craft and my life in general. In fact i am almost always excited about it, its a fucking delicious feeling.

#100 Raheli

Raheli

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 07:38 AM

Don't let partners dissuade you from your path just because they think you are a bit woowoo.

Don't feel bad that you don't want to be wiccan even when all your friends are, it's not your path, move on.
Start learning the ceremonial side of things earlier.
Do more magic.