Advice You Would Give Your Newb Self

• Please log in to reply
149 replies to this topic

#61 Guest_Rowan_*

Guest_Rowan_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 September 2012 - 04:57 PM

Dear Younger Me,
There's a reason why witchcraft is called a "practice." You will fail, but as long as you learn something, it's still a worthwhile experience. Get back on the horse.

Magic is a marathon, not a sprint, and you will need more than one lifetime to understand even half of it. Enjoy the ride.

Excellent! I voted this up. :)

#62 Brian

Brian

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 05:22 AM

My advice to myself? Stop trying to force yourself to believe everything you read. Your intuition is more important than some author's opinion. Just because it may work for them doesn't mean it will work for you. You don't have to stop thinking and accept all dogma as fact to become a successful witch.

#63 White Bear

White Bear

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 05:45 PM

If I could give advice to my younger self, I would have started this path earlier--years earlier!

Though reading a lot was necessary to my learning, I'd tell myself to focus less on reading and more on practice. Keep reading about different ways of doing things, but pick something and do it. You can always change things later, if you want.

Trust yourself.

Don't believe everything people say.

Don't be too quick to dismiss what people say/be willing to learn from others.

The perfect is the enemy of the good.

#64 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 08:31 PM

At first I was going to say I'd have told myself long ago to buy a piece of wood. But then I think, if I had bought a piece of wood long ago, would it have even meant anything to me or become anything more to me other than an old piece of wood? I do think that things ripen and happen within their own time-frame, in which case where I am now is where I need to be now, not back when I was 20, lol! Because if I could have been here when I was 20, I would have been here.

M

#65 Guest_Sage Stonepath_*

Guest_Sage Stonepath_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 December 2012 - 12:51 AM

I would say, " leave your anger and crave for power behind you. "
"remember you're from the boondocks. That is your magic."
"when anger strikes, cold water."

#66 Xerceas

Xerceas

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:44 AM

Younger me,

The most expensive is not always gold.

The most informative is not always written down.

You are not always wrong.

Older me.

#67 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 01:23 PM

Younger me,

The most expensive is not always gold.

The most informative is not always written down.

You are not always wrong.

Older me.

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost.
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not touched by the frost..."

From Tolkien ... One of my favourite quotes.

M

#68 CrowMusings

CrowMusings

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:11 AM

Listen to your Grandmother, learn everything she tries to teach, even what you think isn't important
Listen to your mother, let her teach you to garden and grow your own herbs and necessary plants that your Grandmother did.
Listen to nature, what your ancestors didn't tell you is easy to learn from the earth itself, make mistakes and learn.
Listen to yourself, never second guess, if you're wrong, learn what not to do next time.
Hear what others have to say, take from it, hear it and use it to learn from, then use what you take from it but don't forget what you didn't.
Read everything, even the things you think you don't need to learn, learning what doesn't work is as important as what does.
Share what you know, help who you can.
Be patient, you don't always get results when you want them, but only when you need them.

Crow

#69 Roanna

Roanna

She of the spiders and degus...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 11:18 AM

Dear younger self,

Talk less
Listen more
Be honest when you don't understand
Think before you speak
Don't assume an importance on other people's agendas
Question rather than criticise

Whatever actually is at the centre of the universe, it probably isn't you. Clear???

Do what you believe to be the right thing and trust yourself.

Witchpathforward My website incorporating "Ask a Witch a Question," my blog and websites of witchy interest.

#70 BirdieMcCloud

BirdieMcCloud

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 03:33 AM

Oh, if only....I know some of this has been echoed before by other people in the thread (especially the point re: books not being absolute); clearly we all needed a good rattling of the head at some point.

Dear Younger Self, No More Than 4....That man you saw that night in your room the night the power went out was real, and he did not mean to frighten you, he just wanted to comfort you because the sudden dark terrified you, who couldn't sleep without a nightlight. That was the last time you ever truly SAW something more than a shadow or flicker; fear clouds judgment.

Dear Younger Self, About 8....Your tiny, tiny toy definitely got lost under the shelf at the big department store, and Mom and Dad were not the ones who snuck it back in your pocket, where you discovered it when you got home, depressed that your parents wouldn't help you look for your toy because the store was so crowded. You should've thanked Them, but I wager They understood that you were grateful. Still, manners: They go a looooooong way.

Dear Younger Self, Near 14....Dear heart, you're not crazy. You are not hallucinating. You are not living in an escapist fantasy. Yes, you have problems, but the stuff you hear and see and know....that's not part of it at all. Denying it might be causing the problems, but the actual hearing and seeing and knowing...that's not.

Dear Younger Self, Age 17...When you try to talk to a God/dess and get an image that they're on vacation, that doesn't mean you're not worthy or that you're just making shit up - it means you need to find different, 'On Duty' folks to talk to. Don't give up.

Dear Younger Self, Year 23...I know it's hard to believe, but damn, books are not EVERYTHING. The stuff you hear and see and know and feel? Look at that for answers, stop trying to find things in books and forums and blogs hoping to find an explanation that fits or at least resembles what you're experiencing. Even if you show two people the same green book, their eyes will not process the green color exactly the same and one will in reality see it a different shade than th other person - and they are both right. Stop trying to find validation in others. And that bitch who ran a meditation exercise for you and a group of other ladies and outright MOCKED your telling of your journey/experience because it didn't match any of their experiences or expectations, causing everyone else to laugh at you and dismiss your experience? Yeah, her...pity her - she was going by the books, and hadn't learned to think outside the pages yet.

Signed,
Me, 29, kind of abashed that it took so long to learn all this and wishing someone had told me it would all be ok.

#71 StarryAmethyst

StarryAmethyst

• Seekers
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 07:55 PM

To follow my instincs more. Do not let it get to me when people call me a hag amoung other names when I was a teen cause i wasnt part of conventional religion.
Posted Image

“Just because I'm on a different path doesn't mean I'm lost.”
― ~unknown~

#72 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 01:22 AM

To follow my instincs more. Do not let it get to me when people call me a hag amoung other names when I was a teen cause i wasnt part of conventional religion.

I gotta ask . . . Why did people call you "Hag" for not subscribing to traditional religion? It seems an odd choice of insult for a teenager and for the situation. Of course, you could have been dressing in a pointy, black hat and painting your face green at the time. Now, that would explain it.

#73 aurora

aurora

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 01:33 AM

Ouch! urmmm sorry just banged my knee.
yes i agree it is a strange thing to be called in this age

#74 firesong

firesong

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 05:11 AM

Dear self...

Just do it!

#75 Guest_atropa_*

Guest_atropa_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 January 2013 - 06:55 PM

If I were talking to myself 66 years ago I would say dont come out, stay in the womb and for fucks sake ignore you're Witch and live life.

#76 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 07:02 PM

If I were talking to myself 66 years ago I would say dont come out, stay in the womb and for fucks sake ignore you're Witch and live life.

lol - not sure how your mum would of felt about that! 9 months is long enough!! I do agree, though, that it is very important to live life. Which sounds daft becuase life goes on every second, but sometimes we can get stuck waiting until we hit a point or destination - like college... waiting until graduation to "really start living". One never knows when they will live or die. Or graduate. And that mundane life needs to be lived as much as witchy life, and not separated from it.

M

#77 Guest_atropa_*

Guest_atropa_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 January 2013 - 08:50 PM

I am smiling Michele because my mum was 93 on christmas day as is still as bright and with it as she was 66 years ago.

I have voted your post up, thanks Michele

Edited by atropa, 27 January 2013 - 08:51 PM.

#78 StarryAmethyst

StarryAmethyst

• Seekers
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 10:01 PM

I gotta ask . . . Why did people call you "Hag" for not subscribing to traditional religion? It seems an odd choice of insult for a teenager and for the situation. Of course, you could have been dressing in a pointy, black hat and painting your face green at the time. Now, that would explain it.

My Real name nick name is Mag and it rhymed with sea hag, I wasnt a goth but more English Punk and that made my family uneasy cause it was outside my culture. My own family cousins people I thought was friends gave it to me.

Posted Image

“Just because I'm on a different path doesn't mean I'm lost.”
― ~unknown~

#79 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 10:11 PM

My Real name nick name is Mag and it rhymed with sea hag, I wasnt a goth but more English Punk and that made my family uneasy cause it was outside my culture. My own family cousins people I thought was friends gave it to me.

Ahhhh, now that makes perfect sense. It is crazy what nicknames kids make-up for each other. Obviously, some nicknames are better than others. I tried to give my kids names that were hard to create nicknames for, but it didn't work. :)

#80 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:03 PM

My granddaughter has 5 grandmothers, so the name "grandma" was out. I wanted her to call me Hag, but everyone had a shit-fit, lol lol.

M