149 replies to this topic

#41 Whiterose

Whiterose

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,747 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 07:07 PM

Dear younger me,

My advice would be to forget the books. They are helpful, but the way you are, you learn so much faster by being out there doing it. Everything I have read so far you have already figured out, its just validation and deeper thought at this point.

Dont shut yourself in your room, closing out the world because you are an angry teenager. The whole point of this path is to connect to the world and learn how to manipulate the fabric of this world for your benefit. No matter what the books say, you wont figure that out shut up in your room with candles.

You wont find "mister right", right off the bat so just have fun and work on you and its not worth the tears to take everything so seriously. Also, teenagers have no idea about how the world works, let alone how to manipulate it for their benefit, they are all just as clueless as you are so don't follow anyone.

Beware: predators are everywhere. They have exploited every niche, even witchcraft.

Dont fear. That thing you are most of afraid of feeds on it. She will go away once you overcome your fear. You wont be alone in this.

Listen to that voice. You are not schizo. That voice has saved your life many times, some you are not even aware of.

You are unique. Many others can not, and will not understand you. This is a good thing. It allows you to be free.

You will go through times of unbalance, of being too light and good and too dark and nasty. Balance yourself or you will become very ill and vulnerable to things unseen. You can do nothing effective on this path if you are not balanced.

Follow the sign posts and your internal GPS. They are there for a reason.

Stop being so damn stubborn. Because you are, you will ignore all of this. Even though the voice has told you all of this already.

#42 Mountain Witch

Mountain Witch

Practical b/witch

• Moderators
  • 3,825 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 09:30 PM

Stop being so damn stubborn. Because you are, you will ignore all of this.

LOL! I can relate!

For purposes of action nothing is more useful than narrowness of thought combined with energy of will.
~ Henri Frederic Amiel

You can access my blog and get autographed copies of my books through my website

#43 Whiterose

Whiterose

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,747 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 10:43 PM

LOL! I can relate!

:beerchug:

#44 Heks

Heks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 07:26 PM

Heks,

I can appreciate that you like the "Way of Wyrd", but what specifically about this book prompts you to recommend reading it first. I haven't read it, so I really don't know. For example, why do you consider it an appropriate read for someone moving away from organized religion? Just curious.

Also, I agree that one needs to be careful what books they buy, but there really aren't that many books about Traditional Witchcraft. That's OK, though, as the Craft must be experienced, not theorized, anyway.

J

Hiya Jevne,

I only just found this message, as I forgot to press the "watch topic" button! Posted Image

Firstly, I absolutely adore the WoW because it made me understand the world from a different perspective. It talks about the lifeforce, the soul, the blood, the runes, the gods and godesses of Anglo-Saxon times, the web, the wyrd sisters and the wyrd. Through the story, I have become familiarised with the idea that life is being written at every moment, as we live it.

a few ideas/excerpts from the WoW which made me think: (my copy of the WoW is published by Hay House in 2004)
1. eventually, humans will dissapear, which I derive from the following excerpt from the book: "Eventually people will have to make way for the tiny creatures that crawl about in our mattresses" page 46.
2. the sorcerer Wulf says "A woman will draw the life-energy from you and sap your strength", page 60, which made me laugh!
3. the idea of smearing blood along the stems and leaves of plants one takes out of their natural environment (page 63). Wulf says "The blood is your sacrifice to the plant" (page 64). also: "plants carry life-force as potent as any person" (page 65).
4. Spirits "have access to the gods and the Underworld" (page 71).
5. "we ourselves are part of wyrd and cannot stand back to observe it" (page 83). This makes me think about the theories of predestination and the WoW does away with that.
6. "the soul is like a shadow and the sorcerer is able to detach the soul from the body and journey amongst the spirits" (page 111)
7. spearwort is said to increase one's lifeforce. When the monk, Brand, lost his soul (taken by spirits), Wulf gave him spearwort to try to give him the energy needed to travel amongst spirits to try to retrieve it.
8. "...all the patterns of wyrd are present in the body in the same way as they are present in the sun, moon and stars" (page 196).

Secondly, I bought Jeanette Ellis' book "Forbidden Rites - Your Complete introduction to Traditional Witchcraft" on Amazon and she has made a lot of effort to convey her knowledge in this book, but the use of "blessed be" and "merry meet" means that the book is written for Wicca practitioners as well, which is fine, of course, but the title is a little bit misleading for a novice like me! No offence to the author, of course, and the book is very informative.

Kind regards,

Heks Posted Image

"One's own house, though small, is better,
For there thou art the master.
It makes a man's heart bleed to ask
for a midday meal at the house of another."

(35 Havamal, Edda)

#45 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 03:16 AM

Hiya Jevne,
Secondly, I bought Jeanette Ellis' book "Forbidden Rites - Your Complete introduction to Traditional Witchcraft" on Amazon and she has made a lot of effort to convey her knowledge in this book, but the use of "blessed be" and "merry meet" means that the book is written for Wicca practitioners as well, which is fine, of course, but the title is a little bit misleading for a novice like me! No offence to the author, of course, and the book is very informative.

Kind regards,

Heks Posted Image

Heks,

Jeanette Ellis's book has absolutely nothing at all, zero, zip, zilch, to do with Traditional Witchcraft, so there is no "as well" about it. Putting the words, Traditional Witchcraft, in the title does not a book about Trad Craft make. For starters, there is nothing forbidden in the book. It's the same old crap written in every other wiccan book on the planet, including god/goddess, wheel of the year, elementals, etc. It is also poorly written and historically misleading and inaccurate. For example, poor, illiterate farmers weren't and aren't the only practitioners. In fact, I don't quite understand why so many new age authors have to make a point of mentioning that; like being down-trodden is a prerequisite for being a Witch. The author's definitions and explanations are also either totally wrong or down-right fucking ridiculous, like the definition of Hedge Witch on page 20. Not to mention the Paganism tree on page 21. Ugh!! Also, in case you are reading the book and taking notes, Traditional Witchcraft doesn't have degrees or worship the god/goddess or do anything that the author claims.

Should have saved your money.

Jevne

#46 Heks

Heks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 11:42 AM

Heks,

Jeanette Ellis's book has absolutely nothing at all, zero, zip, zilch, to do with Traditional Witchcraft, so there is no "as well" about it. Putting the words, Traditional Witchcraft, in the title does not a book about Trad Craft make. For starters, there is nothing forbidden in the book. It's the same old crap written in every other wiccan book on the planet, including god/goddess, wheel of the year, elementals, etc. It is also poorly written and historically misleading and inaccurate. For example, poor, illiterate farmers weren't and aren't the only practitioners. In fact, I don't quite understand why so many new age authors have to make a point of mentioning that; like being down-trodden is a prerequisite for being a Witch. The author's definitions and explanations are also either totally wrong or down-right fucking ridiculous, like the definition of Hedge Witch on page 20. Not to mention the Paganism tree on page 21. Ugh!! Also, in case you are reading the book and taking notes, Traditional Witchcraft doesn't have degrees or worship the god/goddess or do anything that the author claims.

Should have saved your money.

Jevne

Dear Jevne,

I was thinking the same things as you; all this very organised ritual she talks about, all this talk about gods and godesses, that is just her opinion, isn't it. I do not worship any deity as I enjoy the freedom of not having to do so, lol!

I know that the real thing is encapsulated in books like those written by Gemma Gary and yes, I should have saved my money!

I learned from this book by J. Ellis that there are people out there who believe this is what TW should be, and I see it as a good reason not to try to join a coven or anything like that, as I would not be able to stand people telling me that their way is the only way and I would make myself a lot of enemies, lol! I like the freedom that pervades this forum and I feel totally free to experiment with spellwork as and how I see fit, wearing whatever I want and I am happy doing that.

I very much doubt that contacting "deities" will ever open up the spirit world and allow contact with spirits, and the fact that I could see that this book did not ring true is a good thing!

Thank you so much, I appreciate you telling me not to take notice of what this book says; I did realise it was not what I wanted, once I opened it for the first time! And it is full of spelling mistakes, lol!

Kind regards,
Many thanks,

Heks Posted Image

(35 Havamal, Edda)

#47 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 02:58 PM

... that there are people out there who believe this is what TW should be, and I see it as a good reason not to try to join a coven or anything like that, as I would not be able to stand people telling me that their way is the only way and I would make myself a lot of enemies, lol! ...
Heks Posted Image

One thing I would suggest is to remember that anyone practicing any form of the craft (including on here) believes to an extent that their way is the correct way - if they didn't they wouldn't be practicing in that way, lol!!!! So the trick is to find the way that seems and feels right for you. Also, in coven work, assuming one would only join a coven whose ways one agreed with then one wouldn't be at issue with the way the coven worked. So again, it is what rings true for you, personally. And you may well change your own beliefs and perspectives many times - that is very usual today where people have to find the path themselves rather than being intruduced through the culture in which they live. It is also one reason many leave the path, becuase the culture of today does not support it.

M

#48 Heks

Heks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 03:27 PM

One thing I would suggest is to remember that anyone practicing any form of the craft (including on here) believes to an extent that their way is the correct way - if they didn't they wouldn't be practicing in that way, lol!!!! So the trick is to find the way that seems and feels right for you. Also, in coven work, assuming one would only join a coven whose ways one agreed with then one wouldn't be at issue with the way the coven worked. So again, it is what rings true for you, personally. And you may well change your own beliefs and perspectives many times - that is very usual today where people have to find the path themselves rather than being intruduced through the culture in which they live. It is also one reason many leave the path, becuase the culture of today does not support it.

M

Dear Michele,

Yes, thank you; I am becoming aware of that as I read and digest and form my opinions. Some of us work with deities, others don't. I respect that completely. I was always treated respectfully on this forum and I wish to do the same.

I did not want to be too harsh regarding J. Ellis' book at first, because it will ring true for some people, and I wish to respect everybody's choices/beliefs. However, I do believe that the title is misleading, and I agree with Jevne. And honesty is very important. It is not a book about Traditional Witchcraft. It is a book about one person's path, and it does not feel like it deserves its title.

For me personally, at this moment in time, I do not feel the need to connect with a deity. However, I love reading about the ancient deities as they represent ideas which are valuable; we can learn from these stories. I particularly like the gods Odin, Thor and Freya. For me, the gods teach us about those who worship(ped) them!

The Way of Wyrd is more than a story for me, though, and even though there are gods in the WoW, I feel that the way they are portrayed is acceptable to me. Wulf clearly says he worships the sun, moon and stars but then he goes on to explain the intricacies of Wyrd to Brand and it all makes sense, to me. It seems that Wulf himself (yes, lol, I know it is a story but somehow the characters have taken life in my mind!) knows it is all "in the mind" so to speak, but that does not make it any less real!

The culture I live in here, in England, in a small town, is quite tolerant. But, of course, there are those who would wish to vilify Witchcraft and it is better to keep this to oneself! (says the girl with a Witch tattoo on her arm!). This path is one I looked into so many times but it always left me. Now I feel completely different; I look at the sky, the sun, the moon, the trees, the stones in a different light! I am becoming aware of the natural world. I see birds and I think of the Wyrd. I make connections I never made before. I am very lucky! I have left Islamic culture, and now I am free. If I lived in Belgium, my freedom would be less, as I'd have to conform more (for one, I would not be able to dress in all the colours of the rainbow as my mother only wears beige and grey!), and that is why I love living here, as I feel free to express my individuality in thought and action. When I started, I said I loved Witches. Now, I feel I am slowly becoming one, in thought and spirit, and sometimes in action (I regularly throw salt round in my house, speaking over it; I draw a tarot card daily and I muse and meander through the corridors of this wonderful forum as often as I can; I froze the blood on my tattoo-plaster and I sometimes feel like casting spells using a candle and leaves and other things (hehe)!)
Kind regards,
Heks Posted Image

(35 Havamal, Edda)

#49 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 03:37 PM

. For me, the gods teach us about those who worship(ped) them!

Kind regards,
Heks Posted Image

I agree that the WoW was an excellent book. It was one I very much enjoyed. It is well worth looking into the research and background of the man who wrote the WoW. He also wrote another book called "The Real Middle-Earth." It is not fictional as is WoW but is almost like a diary of the research he did for the book.

Yes, gods can teach us about the people who worked with them, but the cultures who worked with them can also teach us a lot about the diety worked with, especially the changes that happened to the diety itself within the structure of the culture and the culture's own evolution.

M

#50 Heks

Heks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 04:17 PM

I agree that the WoW was an excellent book. It was one I very much enjoyed. It is well worth looking into the research and background of the man who wrote the WoW. He also wrote another book called "The Real Middle-Earth." It is not fictional as is WoW but is almost like a diary of the research he did for the book.

Yes, gods can teach us about the people who worked with them, but the cultures who worked with them can also teach us a lot about the diety worked with, especially the changes that happened to the diety itself within the structure of the culture and the culture's own evolution.

M

Dear Michele,
I ordered "The Real Middle-Earth" and I do hope to get it very soon! Thank you for telling me about it!
That culture can affect and change deities is also interesting! Nothing is static; the Wyrd is being created at every moment and as the gods are part of the Wyrd... they also are changing!
Kind regards,
Heks Posted Image

(35 Havamal, Edda)

#51 Alienor Bel

Alienor Bel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 07:49 PM

there are people out there who believe this is what TW should be, and I see it as a good reason not to try to join a coven or anything like that, as I would not be able to stand people telling me that their way is the only way and I would make myself a lot of enemies, lol! I like the freedom that pervades this forum and I feel totally free to experiment with spellwork as and how I see fit, wearing whatever I want and I am happy doing that.

This is a big one with me. Regarding witchcraft and life, I would tell myself that I should like who I am on my own. If I could do that, I'd realize that I don't need those other people telling me how to do things, and making me feel in the wrong because I happen to disagree. "Be your own self."

Also, I would have to tell myself to SLOW DOWN. You don't need to know everything right away, and in fact, there's a good reason you don't. It's called learning. The journey is more important than the destination.

"The apple cannot be stuck back on the Tree of Knowledge; once we begin to see, we are doomed and challenged to seek the strength to see more, not less." - Arthur Miller

#52 aurora

aurora

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 08:24 PM

I would tell my little self, DO NOT,,,,, rub stinging nettle on your breast. Your nan is in the corner,crying with laughter.

( she told me it would make them grow,by rubbing nettles on them)

Edited by aurora, 17 July 2012 - 09:23 PM.

#53 Apryl

Apryl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 09:49 AM

Dear younger self,
Your gift is real and you are not schitzo, hearing things. For fuck sake, LIGHTEN UP! Stop worrying about trying to hide who you are from the world. The only ones that matter either know or don't give a rats ass. And speaking of asses, get off of yours! Your path isn't a path if you don't take it anywhere. You don't need anyone to lead you, it's yours. You learn by doing. I guess that takes me back to, "get off your ass"! I really wish we could have had this chat sooner. XD

#54 Athena

Athena

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 06:30 AM

Dear younger self,
Don't take things so seriously , life is for living not just researching and reading. Have fun with it, being perfect isn't all it's cracked up to be. There is no right or perfect way in the craft so trying to hard can lead to failure. Don't be afraid to try new things or make mistakes, after all you learn from mistakes and that's the goal. Sometimes what you think is a mistake is really exactly right. Being stubborn is fine but refusing to reconsider your position is stupid after all you can't always be right.

#55 Akashiel

Akashiel

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 10:01 PM

Dear younger self,
1.Despite evidence to the contrary and popular belief you are not a vampire, please stop acting like it.
2.Start reading up on Taoist meditation, that will help a lot in the future.
3.Trust is a valuable thing, do not give it so readily.
4.Research less and do more.
5. You have a particularly strong connection to nature, use it.
6. Despite how grandpa acts sometimes, listen and learn from him, he wont be around forever.

#56 JuniperBaby

JuniperBaby

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 10:51 PM

I'm still my "younger self" despite being 45, but...today I learned:

If you need to ask someone how to do it, you probably are not ready to do it yet.

Aliis volat propriis.
She flies with her own wings.

#57 Archabyss

Archabyss

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 05:58 AM

To my younger self,

Listen and learn, even assholes have a lesson to teach even if it's not how to behave.

Don't believe others than what you are doing is wrong because you aren't in a group, thankfully only did one outer court lesson before realising they were ripping off your ideas but it will sting you for quite a while.

Remember all those years playing in the woods as a child, well always remember to play.

Arch

#58 Guest_Rowan_*

Guest_Rowan_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 September 2012 - 01:53 PM

Dear Younger Me,

Don't bother printing reams of crap from the Internet. You'll never read it, or when you do try to use it, it will only frustrate you. Do your own thing.

On the other hand, if you don't do those things, you won't learn that lesson, so carry on. Read all sorts of crap and waste a lot of money on pentacle altar clothes and little coloured candle and worrying about how to divide up your 'Book of Shadows'. You'll grow up one day.

Love

From Me

#59 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 02:07 PM

Dear Younger Me,

Don't bother printing reams of crap from the Internet. You'll never read it, or when you do try to use it, it will only frustrate you. Do your own thing.

On the other hand, if you don't do those things, you won't learn that lesson, so carry on. Read all sorts of crap and waste a lot of money on pentacle altar clothes and little coloured candle and worrying about how to divide up your 'Book of Shadows'. You'll grow up one day.

Love

From Me

This is great . . . voted it up.

Jevne

#60 Evergreen47

Evergreen47

Ms. Spock

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 08:37 PM

Dear Younger Me,
There's a reason why witchcraft is called a "practice." You will fail, but as long as you learn something, it's still a worthwhile experience. Get back on the horse.

Magic is a marathon, not a sprint, and you will need more than one lifetime to understand even half of it. Enjoy the ride.

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

-=Frank Herbert=-

Rock on, gold dust woman. Take your silver spoon and dig your grave.