149 replies to this topic

#21 Stacey

Stacey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 673 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 05:51 AM

How true, Brigid!

My advice to my former self would be get buying the books asap, and cast your net wide!
Imagine the Witchy library I would have now if I had. Especially the hard to get stuff that costs a fortune now.

Sister, preaching to the choir lol. There are books out of print that I wish I had gotten, I kick myself now.

Mind you my bookshelf currently hates me, I think it's going to sue me for compensation for injuries sustained while holding up my book collection.

"The mind is not a book, to be opened at will and examined at leisure. Thoughts are not etched on the inside of skulls, to be perused by an invader. The mind is a complex and many-layered thing." Severus Snape - HP and the Order of the Phoenix

#22 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 12:43 PM

I would tell myself:

[color="#dda0dd"]...Don't take everything at face value, there's always more, good or bad to see...

That's very true. Many things have layers of meaning. There were things I chucked out becuase the obvious and surface meaning was not relevant to me, only to find out much later the deeper meanings had much relevance.

M

#23 CelticGypsy

CelticGypsy

Crazy NastyAss Honey Badger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,105 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 02:02 PM

The best advice I could give myself back then is "your first thoughts and choices were right ones, don't walk away from them in another direction stick with it."

I set myself a long way back on my path because of self doubts, If I had believed in my choices I would be in a different position today.

This resonates with my and my path when I struggled, now I'm so over " Ego me " the best advice I could give is:

" Witch, strive to know thyself, Witch strive to connect with thyself, Witch strive to become One and Whole with thyself "

Regards,
Gypsy

Edited by CelticGypsy, 28 December 2012 - 04:09 AM.

" The last thing you wanted a Witch to do is get bored and start making her own amusements, because Witches sometimes have erratically famous ideas about what was amusing "

Terry Pratchett Legends 1 

#24 Anara

Anara

aspire beyond fear of death (Bhairavi)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,165 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 04:26 PM

I would tell myself to have more patience with the process, to deal with the spirit world without fear & to search inside myself for real courage; to know in my heart that I am in control, not the other way around. <have learned some big lessons here, and continue to learn hard lessons as I search along my path..still not completely fearless, but slowly getting there~! >

Above all, to trust myself and my experiences...to know although books are invaluable and will get me to new levels, it cannot replace experience and a kind of understanding that only experience can bring. To not hide behind books only, and to jump in feet first and experience..this brings a balance of knowledge and wisdom.

Also, to allow myself to be vulnerable when vulnerability is best.

:flyaway:

~Ruby

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you will always long to return." ~ Leonardo Da Vinci

#25 sarasuperid

sarasuperid

Wild Witch of the West

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,429 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 03:23 AM

There are a few books I would have bought too, before they got real expensive! Its never too late to start though!
"A Craft, a calling, a set of Keys to unlock a particular cosmology that is borne, and born, in the blood of the practitioner, and sets the Work to be done with which one may commune with those who hold the patterns and keys of the life of the practitioner and hir stream. The Work is to be done, and we are to do it." --Aiseling the Bard

#26 Raina

Raina

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 07:50 PM

I'd tell myself that not everything I read is Truth and not everything I hear is gospel. I'd also tell myself to trust myself and my intuition more and to be a little more adventuresome. Oh yea, and I can think of a few books I could tell myself to buy back then, lol.

Raina

#27 Marabet

Marabet

Miss Clavel's Shadow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 08:00 PM

Which books?
I ran to a tower where the church bells chime
I hoped that they would clear my mind
They left a ringing in my ear
But that drum's still beating loud and clear

{Florence + The Machine 'Drumming Song'}

#28 Nineheart

Nineheart

The Wish Card

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 09:01 PM

This is some advice that I am still telling myself to follow:

"Don't shy away from witchcraft, embrace it. Let the universe know that you're here and put yourself out there. Bad things will happen but so will good things too, just be sure to try your best, be prepared and always follow your intuition no matter how crazy it may be at times. And never try to organise things (don't plan what to do, just do it!), sometimes there is order within chaos."

The Wish Card, May Dreams Come True.

#29 Raina

Raina

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 08:11 PM

Which books?

Books on North Country folk tales, mainly. I should have been more explicit - I made it sound like I knew of some specific titles, but I don't, sorry; but I know there were books about Yorkshire and Durham counties that told of olf folk tales and local customs.

Raina

#30 Abhainn

Abhainn

Lady Vagabond

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 515 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 01:22 AM

Don't. Look. Back.

Don't apologize for your decision or your path.

Wander all you want, but don't expect "the answer," only clues.

Follow your intuition and your curiosity.

Forget the labels. They don't matter. Really - they don't.

~ Abhainn

"Run mad as often as you choose; but do not faint."
hagstones.blogspot.com

#31 CelticGypsy

CelticGypsy

Crazy NastyAss Honey Badger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,105 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 01:47 AM

Don't. Look. Back. <~~~~~~ :applause:

Don't apologize for your decision or your path.

Wander all you want, but don't expect "the answer," only clues. <~~~~~ :applause:

Follow your intuition and your curiosity.

Forget the labels. They don't matter. Really - they don't.

Here Here ! :applause:

Regards,
Gypsy

" The last thing you wanted a Witch to do is get bored and start making her own amusements, because Witches sometimes have erratically famous ideas about what was amusing "

Terry Pratchett Legends 1 

#32 Abhainn

Abhainn

Lady Vagabond

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 515 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 02:07 AM

Here Here ! :applause:

Regards,
Gypsy

Thanks. :)

~ Abhainn

"Run mad as often as you choose; but do not faint."
hagstones.blogspot.com

#33 JuniperBaby

JuniperBaby

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 01:14 AM

I would tell myself to slooooow down, not everything has to be learned and understood all at once. Take your time and don't force it.

I'm still a newb, but I have to keep reminding myself of this. I don't need to rush this. And the stuff I stick with, mostly comes so easily, and just falls into place. Anything that feels forced is usually something I later abandon.

Unlike with Christianity, it it feel bad I can skip it, and if it feels good I can embrace it. I can trust myself instead of fighting myself.

I've only got 3 years of experience in this, so don't have much information yet for my totally newb self.

You know, it's funny, but the ultraconservative Amish and Mennonites now tell their seekers to take things slowly. The best successful conversions are among the slow and steady converts, and the over exuberant ones are almost never around 10 years later. Previously in Christianity, and now in witchcraft, I've learned not to put the cart before the horse. Some things really need to be tackled in a certain order, if you don't wan to run yourself over.

Aliis volat propriis.
She flies with her own wings.

#34 Marabet

Marabet

Miss Clavel's Shadow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 04:21 PM

Don't. Look. Back.

Holy shit! Chills! I know this is a pointless post and totally OT but this has to do with something I tapped into while doing NaNo. Then I came and read that and it hit me all over again. Whew! Thanks for that, Abhainn.

I ran to a tower where the church bells chime
I hoped that they would clear my mind
They left a ringing in my ear
But that drum's still beating loud and clear

{Florence + The Machine 'Drumming Song'}

#35 Gramayr

Gramayr

'Mysterio'

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,282 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 06:26 PM

Hmm, I think I'd tell a very young self not to be afraid when 'things' happened to me in my parents cellar.. Well that's one thing anyway :)
"Great spirits have often encountered violent opposition from weak minds." - Albert Einstein

#36 Hannah

Hannah

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 09:36 PM

Stop looking for that teacher, you have always, always had them and found them when you needed to.

Edited by Hannah, 04 December 2011 - 09:59 PM.

#37 Heks

Heks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 12:08 AM

Never be regretful of something you've explored that didn't work out for you becuase no time is ever truly wasted - everything is always a lesson and growth.

M

Dear Michele,

I really love this phrase, as I feel it is so encouraging for those of us who have spent years trying to follow a religion that was not feeding our soul with the nutrients it needs, and that was not acknowledging the lifeforce flowing through us. Though I still carried with me a lot of baggage when I arrived here, especially the fear of djinn, I must say that have always felt welcome and valued here, got the help I needed to get rid of my fears, and I know that this phrase is adhered to by all the lovely people (like yourself) I have encountered here so far. For that, I say "thank you!".

Posted Image

My advice for anyone starting out - especially if they have left the shackles of organised religion - would be: start by reading "the Way of Wyrd" to open your mind, and free your soul. To gain knowledge and to be careful about what books you buy, as lots look like Trad. W. but are actually Wiccan! Posted Image

Posted Image

Kind regs,

HeksPosted Image

"One's own house, though small, is better,
For there thou art the master.
It makes a man's heart bleed to ask
for a midday meal at the house of another."

(35 Havamal, Edda)

#38 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 01:05 AM

My advice for anyone starting out - especially if they have left the shackles of organised religion - would be: start by reading "the Way of Wyrd" to open your mind, and free your soul. To gain knowledge and to be careful about what books you buy, as lots look like Trad. W. but are actually Wiccan! Posted Image

HeksPosted Image

Heks,

I can appreciate that you like the "Way of Wyrd", but what specifically about this book prompts you to recommend reading it first. I haven't read it, so I really don't know. For example, why do you consider it an appropriate read for someone moving away from organized religion? Just curious.

Also, I agree that one needs to be careful what books they buy, but there really aren't that many books about Traditional Witchcraft. That's OK, though, as the Craft must be experienced, not theorized, anyway.

J

#39 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 02:13 AM

I know the question was directed at Heks but WoW was a book about a monk (or priest - I forget) who was sent to walk among the "heathens" and learn their ways and beliefs so it would be easier to convert them. He learned a bit more than he planned to, and actually came to have a great respect for and interaction with their ways. It's not for everyone, but a lot of work and research was put into it (the writer was a psychologist who studied the time period including many herbals not readily available to everyone and he wrote it including the psychological perspective of the period as best he would figure it out). Anyway, it was a very worthy read - reads like a novel but with a lot of well-research folklore.

M

#40 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 02:31 AM

I know the question was directed at Heks but WoW was a book about a monk (or priest - I forget) who was sent to walk among the "heathens" and learn their ways and beliefs so it would be easier to convert them. . . .
M

Thank you for that synopsis, Michele. Sounds like an interesting book.

:) Jevne