thevioletsunflower

Advice You Would Give Your Newb Self

What would you tell yourself if you could go back in time to when you were first starting out on this path?

Oh boy, I would advice myself on a lot of things. The first thing, however, I would tell myself not to be fooled into thinking that Wicca is the only way just because most info out there try to corral you toward wiccan while omitting the many other branches of craft. Also, another person's wrong may very well be my right.

• Upvote 1

WOW, huge question, the first would be....

Don't believe everything you read!

Not everyone in a forum knows what they are talking about.

Follow your gut, intuition first and foremost.

Know yourself.

When you ask a question in a forum, take all with a grain of salt.

That goes for books as well.

Both are misleading, your inner truth will come to you only when you let it come. Knowledge is only given to those that are ready to accept it!

• Upvote 1

Not everyone in a forum knows what they are talking about....When you ask a question in a forum, take all with a grain of salt.

Good advice. I haven't seen it here, but I have seen elsewhere, where people who don't know what they are talking about try to brow beat a person into their way of things. My early witch days predates the internet (dating myself. :-/) so I guess for me it would have been remembering that not all groups of people know what they are talking about and to take answers with grain of salt.
  • Upvote 1

I honestly don't know that I would change my path... it has been meandering, but if it hadn't I wouldnt be where I was now and if I'd have started where I am, I wouldn't know this is what I really wanted or understand other perspectives, and I probably would not have understood the beliefs of where I currently am if I hadn't explored the other systems prior. So for me I have loved it all. And I'm sure it shall continue to grow and meander form here - it's the journey, the path and dealing with the trials and the ecstacies and working towards an understanding.

I would say to just alwyas follow the road, no matter where or how it twists and turns for each part of the journey will tell you something about yourself and the craft and it's evolution. Never be regretful of something you've explored that didn't work out for you becuase no time is ever truly wasted - everything is always a lesson and growth.

M

• Upvote 5

I would say to just always follow the road, no matter where or how it twists and turns for each part of the journey will tell you something about yourself and the craft and it's evolution. Never be regretful of something you've explored that didn't work out for you because no time is ever truly wasted - everything is always a lesson and growth.

M

What she said. Also not bad advice for life in general.

I would tell myself to slooooow down, not everything has to be learned and understood all at once. Take your time and don't force it.

• Upvote 4

Oh and the number one thing is to NEVER doubt your own intuition no matter what some self proclaimed knower of all things occult tries to tell you! Works great in the mundane world as well!!!!

• Upvote 1

I honestly don't know that I would change my path... it has been meandering, but if it hadn't I wouldnt be where I was now and if I'd have started where I am, I wouldn't know this is what I really wanted or understand other perspectives, and I probably would not have understood the beliefs of where I currently am if I hadn't explored the other systems prior. So for me I have loved it all. And I'm sure it shall continue to grow and meander form here - it's the journey, the path and dealing with the trials and the ecstacies and working towards an understanding.

I would say to just alwyas follow the road, no matter where or how it twists and turns for each part of the journey will tell you something about yourself and the craft and it's evolution. Never be regretful of something you've explored that didn't work out for you becuase no time is ever truly wasted - everything is always a lesson and growth.

M

Beautifully put Michelle. I don't think I would change mine-though I would have liked it to have been a bit quicker in the uncovering at times. Then there is part of me that always wants everything to happen yesterday-big lesson still learning.

I would tell my Newbie self that just because you meet someone like you, who shares your path, do not think you have to befriend them. I would tell my Newbie self to be very selective about who she makes friends with no matter how elated you are to find a new friend. Always listen to you inner voice, it will protect you......

• Upvote 1

Well, shit....another laundry-list! lol

Dear Fledgling Witch Self:

Books are for research, and your own convenience, and to satisfy curiosity. They aren't an all-or-nothing guide to how to approach your path, and you can skip over things you don't agree with. The way you go about your path is entirely up to you.

You follow your instincts, write stuff down, come to your own conclusions, and use those as guidelines.

Also, Wicca is a religion, not all witchcraft (threefold law is bunk, and you'll understand why in time). Don't subscribe to their dogma, please. Don't just look at books pertaining only to witchcraft, either. Read up on foreign culture, philosophy, other religions, art history, etc. I know you think religion is bullshit, but read about it anyway. It will be very useful in your path.

Also, despite how cynical you're being about all this 'witchcraft' business, you DO have a gift! Read about energy work! Get a pendulum! You'll figure out what it is! You don't need the witch's need-to-have list to be a witch! Just...do it!

And just because you dated a Wiccan and hate him forever now DOES NOT mean you should stop practicing witchcraft! It's for your own benefit to keep that spark alight! You have a lot more than he ever did or ever will have!

Anyway, I'm done nagging you. Just please consider what I've told you.

Sincerely,

Holly (from the future)

*Twilight Zone theme plays*

• Upvote 3

I have to say to accept your failings as graciously as your successes. Learning is what we are here to do....that is our job. We will mess up, we will do stuff wrong and think wrong and be wrong a lot of times. But, what I've learned is not to beat myself up over it. I'm still a work in progress and since I'm a believer in Fate, I'm evolving exactly as I should be....thanks to the Gods.

Relax, enjoy the ride and get comfy....hopefully, we are all gonna be here for awhile, so get used to your own skin and revel in your own glory.... :)

The best advice I could give myself back then is "your first thoughts and choices were right ones, don't walk away from them in another direction stick with it."

I set myself a long way back on my path because of self doubts, If I had believed in my choices I would be in a different position today.

• Upvote 1

Not everyone in a forum knows what they are talking about.

How true, Brigid!

My advice to my former self would be get buying the books asap, and cast your net wide!

Imagine the Witchy library I would have now if I had. Especially the hard to get stuff that costs a fortune now.

I would tell myself:

Don't believe everything you read but read everything because knowledge is power and knowledge is a beautiful thing.

Don't take everything at face value, there's always more, good or bad to see.

If you come across some one who thinks they know everything or act like they're the expert - they probably aren't.

Anyone who acts superior or tells you something in that condescending, patronising tone is only trying to make themselves feel important so don't feel bad.

Wicca is not for you! Don't believe me? Trust me, you'll find out.

Go with what resonates within you, otherwise you'll never be true to your path.

Enjoy the journey wherever it may take you.

How true, Brigid!

My advice to my former self would be get buying the books asap, and cast your net wide!

Imagine the Witchy library I would have now if I had. Especially the hard to get stuff that costs a fortune now.

Sister, preaching to the choir lol. There are books out of print that I wish I had gotten, I kick myself now.

Mind you my bookshelf currently hates me, I think it's going to sue me for compensation for injuries sustained while holding up my book collection.

I would tell myself:

...Don't take everything at face value, there's always more, good or bad to see...

That's very true. Many things have layers of meaning. There were things I chucked out becuase the obvious and surface meaning was not relevant to me, only to find out much later the deeper meanings had much relevance.

M

The best advice I could give myself back then is "your first thoughts and choices were right ones, don't walk away from them in another direction stick with it."

I set myself a long way back on my path because of self doubts, If I had believed in my choices I would be in a different position today.

This resonates with my and my path when I struggled, now I'm so over " Ego me " the best advice I could give is:

" Witch, strive to know thyself, Witch strive to connect with thyself, Witch strive to become One and Whole with thyself "

Regards,

Gypsy

Edited by CelticGypsy
  • Upvote 3

I would tell myself to have more patience with the process, to deal with the spirit world without fear & to search inside myself for real courage; to know in my heart that I am in control, not the other way around. <have learned some big lessons here, and continue to learn hard lessons as I search along my path..still not completely fearless, but slowly getting there~! >

Above all, to trust myself and my experiences...to know although books are invaluable and will get me to new levels, it cannot replace experience and a kind of understanding that only experience can bring. To not hide behind books only, and to jump in feet first and experience..this brings a balance of knowledge and wisdom.

Also, to allow myself to be vulnerable when vulnerability is best.

:flyaway:

~Ruby

There are a few books I would have bought too, before they got real expensive! Its never too late to start though!