149 replies to this topic

#1 Marabet

Marabet

Miss Clavel's Shadow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 01:43 AM

What would you tell yourself if you could go back in time to when you were first starting out on this path?
I ran to a tower where the church bells chime
I hoped that they would clear my mind
They left a ringing in my ear
But that drum's still beating loud and clear

{Florence + The Machine 'Drumming Song'}

#2 Wytchywoman

Wytchywoman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 01:53 AM

What would you tell yourself if you could go back in time to when you were first starting out on this path?

Oh boy, I would advice myself on a lot of things. The first thing, however, I would tell myself not to be fooled into thinking that Wicca is the only way just because most info out there try to corral you toward wiccan while omitting the many other branches of craft. Also, another person's wrong may very well be my right.

Smile! It makes people wonder what you're up to..

#3 Brigid

Brigid

Beyond The Bullshit...........yeah, even yours.......

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,283 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 02:06 AM

WOW, huge question, the first would be....

Don't believe everything you read!
Not everyone in a forum knows what they are talking about.
Follow your gut, intuition first and foremost.
Know yourself.
When you ask a question in a forum, take all with a grain of salt.
That goes for books as well.
Both are misleading, your inner truth will come to you only when you let it come. Knowledge is only given to those that are ready to accept it!

Ritualistic behaviour, though well-intentioned, possesses no significance or effectiveness unless its external prescription is matched by a personal, internal motivation of will and desire.

#4 Wytchywoman

Wytchywoman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 02:35 AM

Not everyone in a forum knows what they are talking about....When you ask a question in a forum, take all with a grain of salt.

Good advice. I haven't seen it here, but I have seen elsewhere, where people who don't know what they are talking about try to brow beat a person into their way of things. My early witch days predates the internet (dating myself. :-/) so I guess for me it would have been remembering that not all groups of people know what they are talking about and to take answers with grain of salt.

Smile! It makes people wonder what you're up to..

#5 Scarlet

Scarlet

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 03:01 AM

The best advice I could have given myself is to follow my own instinct Posted Image
Scarlet

#6 Marabet

Marabet

Miss Clavel's Shadow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 03:08 AM

Loving this so far! Thanks. Keep 'em comming! :)
I ran to a tower where the church bells chime
I hoped that they would clear my mind
They left a ringing in my ear
But that drum's still beating loud and clear

{Florence + The Machine 'Drumming Song'}

#7 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 03:12 AM

I honestly don't know that I would change my path... it has been meandering, but if it hadn't I wouldnt be where I was now and if I'd have started where I am, I wouldn't know this is what I really wanted or understand other perspectives, and I probably would not have understood the beliefs of where I currently am if I hadn't explored the other systems prior. So for me I have loved it all. And I'm sure it shall continue to grow and meander form here - it's the journey, the path and dealing with the trials and the ecstacies and working towards an understanding.

I would say to just alwyas follow the road, no matter where or how it twists and turns for each part of the journey will tell you something about yourself and the craft and it's evolution. Never be regretful of something you've explored that didn't work out for you becuase no time is ever truly wasted - everything is always a lesson and growth.

M

#8 Mountain Witch

Mountain Witch

Practical b/witch

• Moderators
  • 3,826 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 03:28 AM

I would say to just always follow the road, no matter where or how it twists and turns for each part of the journey will tell you something about yourself and the craft and it's evolution. Never be regretful of something you've explored that didn't work out for you because no time is ever truly wasted - everything is always a lesson and growth.

M

What she said. Also not bad advice for life in general.

For purposes of action nothing is more useful than narrowness of thought combined with energy of will.
~ Henri Frederic Amiel

You can access my blog and get autographed copies of my books through my website

#9 Meghan

Meghan

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 04:42 AM

I would tell myself to slooooow down, not everything has to be learned and understood all at once. Take your time and don't force it.

#10 Brigid

Brigid

Beyond The Bullshit...........yeah, even yours.......

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,283 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 01:03 PM

Oh and the number one thing is to NEVER doubt your own intuition no matter what some self proclaimed knower of all things occult tries to tell you! Works great in the mundane world as well!!!!
Ritualistic behaviour, though well-intentioned, possesses no significance or effectiveness unless its external prescription is matched by a personal, internal motivation of will and desire.

#11 Pye

Pye

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 04:10 PM

I honestly don't know that I would change my path... it has been meandering, but if it hadn't I wouldnt be where I was now and if I'd have started where I am, I wouldn't know this is what I really wanted or understand other perspectives, and I probably would not have understood the beliefs of where I currently am if I hadn't explored the other systems prior. So for me I have loved it all. And I'm sure it shall continue to grow and meander form here - it's the journey, the path and dealing with the trials and the ecstacies and working towards an understanding.

I would say to just alwyas follow the road, no matter where or how it twists and turns for each part of the journey will tell you something about yourself and the craft and it's evolution. Never be regretful of something you've explored that didn't work out for you becuase no time is ever truly wasted - everything is always a lesson and growth.

M

Beautifully put Michelle. I don't think I would change mine-though I would have liked it to have been a bit quicker in the uncovering at times. Then there is part of me that always wants everything to happen yesterday-big lesson still learning.

'The apple cannot be stuck back on the Tree of Knowledge; once we begin to see, we are doomed and challenged to seek the strength to see more, not less.'
Arthur Miller

#12 UAINE

UAINE

• Seekers
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 04:32 PM

I would tell my Newbie self that just because you meet someone like you, who shares your path, do not think you have to befriend them. I would tell my Newbie self to be very selective about who she makes friends with no matter how elated you are to find a new friend. Always listen to you inner voice, it will protect you......

#13 Lexi

Lexi

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 06:26 PM

Well, shit....another laundry-list! lol

Dear Fledgling Witch Self:

Books are for research, and your own convenience, and to satisfy curiosity. They aren't an all-or-nothing guide to how to approach your path, and you can skip over things you don't agree with. The way you go about your path is entirely up to you.

You follow your instincts, write stuff down, come to your own conclusions, and use those as guidelines.

Also, Wicca is a religion, not all witchcraft (threefold law is bunk, and you'll understand why in time). Don't subscribe to their dogma, please. Don't just look at books pertaining only to witchcraft, either. Read up on foreign culture, philosophy, other religions, art history, etc. I know you think religion is bullshit, but read about it anyway. It will be very useful in your path.

Also, despite how cynical you're being about all this 'witchcraft' business, you DO have a gift! Read about energy work! Get a pendulum! You'll figure out what it is! You don't need the witch's need-to-have list to be a witch! Just...do it!

And just because you dated a Wiccan and hate him forever now DOES NOT mean you should stop practicing witchcraft! It's for your own benefit to keep that spark alight! You have a lot more than he ever did or ever will have!

Anyway, I'm done nagging you. Just please consider what I've told you.

Sincerely,

Holly (from the future)

*Twilight Zone theme plays*

Lexi [Ilexys Morighannan]

“And above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places. Those who don't believe in magic will never find it.”
- Roald Dahl

#14 Blyss

Blyss

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 08:42 PM

I have to say to accept your failings as graciously as your successes. Learning is what we are here to do....that is our job. We will mess up, we will do stuff wrong and think wrong and be wrong a lot of times. But, what I've learned is not to beat myself up over it. I'm still a work in progress and since I'm a believer in Fate, I'm evolving exactly as I should be....thanks to the Gods.

Relax, enjoy the ride and get comfy....hopefully, we are all gonna be here for awhile, so get used to your own skin and revel in your own glory.... :)

Even in tragedy, there is a certain kind of beauty, a certain kind of magic that exists outside of our pain.

#15 8people

8people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 08:46 PM

"Sod 'em. Just go for it" :P

"Oh, and our first boyfriend was a terrible idea."

#16 The Hermit

The Hermit

A Silent Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 09:31 PM

The best advice I could give myself back then is "your first thoughts and choices were right ones, don't walk away from them in another direction stick with it."

I set myself a long way back on my path because of self doubts, If I had believed in my choices I would be in a different position today.

#17 Aloe

Aloe

ridge running Ozark banshee..

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,420 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 09:46 PM

I would say: Remember where you came from.
"The people who live in the Ozark country of Missouri and Arkansas were, until very recently, the most deliberately unprogressive people in the United States. Descended from pioneers who came West from the Southern Appalachians at the beginning of the nineteenth century, they made little contact with the outer world for more than a hundred years. They seem like foreigners to the average urban American, but nearly all of them come of British stock, and many families have lived in America since colonial days. Their material heirlooms are few, but like all isolated illiterates they have clung to the old songs and obsolete sayings and outworn customs of their ancestors." Ozark Magic and Folklore

#18 Tana

Tana

Earth Mother

• Moderators
  • 3,763 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 01:37 PM

Not everyone in a forum knows what they are talking about.

How true, Brigid!

My advice to my former self would be get buying the books asap, and cast your net wide!
Imagine the Witchy library I would have now if I had. Especially the hard to get stuff that costs a fortune now.

)0( Tana )o(

If I break faith with thee, may the skies fall upon me, the seas drown me, and the earth rise up and swallow me.

#19 Brambles

Brambles

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 01:45 PM

Witchcraft is intuitive - don't let others tell you whats right and whats wrong! Go with gut instinct.

“Pay heed to the tales of old wives.
It may well be that they alone keep in memory
what it was once needful for the wise to know.”
~ J.R.R. Tolkien.

#20 Stacey

Stacey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 673 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 05:42 AM

I would tell myself:

Don't believe everything you read but read everything because knowledge is power and knowledge is a beautiful thing.
Don't take everything at face value, there's always more, good or bad to see.
If you come across some one who thinks they know everything or act like they're the expert - they probably aren't.
Anyone who acts superior or tells you something in that condescending, patronising tone is only trying to make themselves feel important so don't feel bad.
Wicca is not for you! Don't believe me? Trust me, you'll find out.
Go with what resonates within you, otherwise you'll never be true to your path.
Enjoy the journey wherever it may take you.

"The mind is not a book, to be opened at will and examined at leisure. Thoughts are not etched on the inside of skulls, to be perused by an invader. The mind is a complex and many-layered thing." Severus Snape - HP and the Order of the Phoenix