Don't be afraid of the dark

RavenFlyer

So I went to see this movie on Monday night. I was just expecting a normal horror movie involving small evil monsters. Instead I got an excellent dark and twisted fairy tale.

It starts with a scene from the late 1800s where a man named Blackwood lives in a mansion with his son and house servants. He is in his basement observatory and calls up to the maid. The maid starts walking down the stairs and trips to the bottom. Blackwood straddles her and says he has to give the creatures what they want so they will give him his son back. He produces a chapel and a hammer and proceeds to knock the maids teeth out (no gore, just painful watching up to the point the camera cuts out when he swings the hammer down) Blackwood collects the teeth an puts them in a cup with his own. He outs them in a grate that opens up to a chasm and implores the creatures to give him his son back. That he gave them what they wanted which was the teeth. The creatures crawl up, an in their whispery monster voices say they wanted child's teeth and end up attacking Blackwood and pulling him down as well.

Jump to the present. A man ad his girlfriend have bought the house and are redoing it hoping to Et the cover of architecture digest. The mans daughter is sent to live with him because her mother is top busy partying to watch Sally. Sally is seven and feels completely unwanted and alone. When Sally gets to the house she eventually starts exploring and finds a fabulous garden in the backyard. She also discovers a "basement". The yardskeeper finds her and starts to drag her to the front warning her about being back there. While he drags her yet trample through a fairy ring of mushrooms!

From this point on I was super intrigued. They eventually uncover the observatory and Sally hears tw creatures calling her name asking her to open the grate that they want to be her friends.

And I am going to stop with the plot here, but I will say the movie explores the side of fairy that is not concerned with being friendly to humans. These creatures, and I will call them fairies, like to eat teeth. And it's explained that other fairies liked to eat bones.

I will say while k like horror movies i have been sadly disappointed in recent years by the movies.

But this one has great suspense, great acting, true moments where I was on the edge of my seat. And the up side very little gore.

I want to go and see this when it's released over here-I'm a Del Torro addict (Director). The same director who made Cronos (love it), The Devils Backbone, and Pan's Labyrinth to name a few.

I love the way he builds atmosphere-brooding, and there's always a dark element to it.

Glad you enjoyed the film.

Now I gotta see it ! I bought Pans Labryinth and loved it. I totally thought that Pan's Labryinth was a childrens story.... boy was I wrong ! LOL !

Thanks for the review Raven Flyer !

Regards,

Gypsy

Is it called don't be afraid of the dark? I never pay attention to movies but this one sounds interesting.

Yes the name of the movie is "Dont be afraid of the dark"

• 1 year later...

I finally saw this movie, today. Had a gals day with my friend.

Asked her to get it on her Net-Flix. It was really good.

I recommend it, also. The minute I saw the fairy ring, I knew that it involved the Fae.

Nasty little scuttling bastards, they were, you know those things you sometimes see out of the corner of your eye ?

Regards,

Gypsy

Archived