Human Bone Mala Beads

ruby

Admittedly, I kinda want a set of these beads. --------> http://www.tiger-tig...Mala-Beads.html

I have been reading just a bit about "Chod" which is the practice that utilizes the malas...the main thought which includes cutting through the ego... :)

-----> http://www.bodhicitta.net/Chod.htm

In short, I am fascinated by the thought of what kind of energy the malas could carry, but hesitant to pursue a set due to my extreme respect for the dead and the bones they leave behind. I think bones should be at rest and not around my neck. So, something intuitively is not sitting right with me about the prospect of wearing them- something about their very essence. So, I most likely will not buy a set after all.

But, at the very least, I thought it would be an interesting topic to post about for anybody else to read...and hopefully, this is the right forum to post it in, since it is of an esoteric nature and not knowledge that is widely available. Fascinating stuff :)

~Ruby

Admittedly, I kinda want a set of these beads. --------> http://www.tiger-tig...Mala-Beads.html

I have been reading just a bit about "Chod" which is the practice that utilizes the malas...the main thought which includes cutting through the ego... :)

-----> http://www.bodhicitta.net/Chod.htm

In short, I am fascinated by the thought of what kind of energy the malas could carry, but hesitant to pursue a set due to my extreme respect for the dead and the bones they leave behind. I think bones should be at rest and not around my neck. So, something intuitively is not sitting right with me about the prospect of wearing them- something about their very essence. So, I most likely will not buy a set after all.

But, at the very least, I thought it would be an interesting topic to post about for anybody else to read...and hopefully, this is the right forum to post it in, since it is of an esoteric nature and not knowledge that is widely available. Fascinating stuff :)

~Ruby

Thanks for the link. Since the skull bones being used are from those that donated their bodies to the temple I don't see any disrespect if the beads are bought for spiritual uses, not just a conversation piece. It would honor the people that made this spiritual sacrifice to offer their skulls for the mala and to financially support the temple. This is probably the temple that they were either monks in or closely associated with throughout their lives. Death and human remains may be embraced in different ways in various cultures. A closer relationship with the dead and bones is found in Palo Mayombe, vama marga, Makaya, and several other living traditions.

In tibet, I'm pretty sure that they believe that when people die, they just have no use for their body. It isn't something sacred to them. They don't waste their time burying them, they actually hack apart the bodies and leave them as an offering to the birds, and other wildlife. I can give a graphic link with extremely graphic photos, but I'm not sure anyone really wants to see it, and the rest of that site.

Thanks for the link. Since the skull bones being used are from those that donated their bodies to the temple I don't see any disrespect if the beads are bought for spiritual uses, not just a conversation piece. It would honor the people that made this spiritual sacrifice to offer their skulls for the mala and to financially support the temple. This is probably the temple that they were either monks in or closely associated with throughout their lives. Death and human remains may be embraced in different ways in various cultures. A closer relationship with the dead and bones is found in Palo Mayombe, vama marga, Makaya, and several other living traditions.

You're welcome for the link.

Thank you for your post. Those are some good thoughts on the subject.

~Ruby

In tibet, I'm pretty sure that they believe that when people die, they just have no use for their body. It isn't something sacred to them. They don't waste their time burying them, they actually hack apart the bodies and leave them as an offering to the birds, and other wildlife. I can give a graphic link with extremely graphic photos, but I'm not sure anyone really wants to see it, and the rest of that site.

Hi Eon,

That's interesting. I looked up the wiki of Tibetan burial rituals over the internet, just out of curiosity. I did quickly google the "sky burial" and saw some of the images. Just... Wow.

Per the wiki article I read, they did a documentary on one of these burials, in 2008, which aired on the Science channel, called "Secret Towers of the Himalayas" and, apparently, the camera work was careful not to show too much...

~Ruby

I wanted to take a second and revisit this post. I did not give what I felt to be a real response to your well thought out, and obviously knowledgeable post, because it stopped me in my tracks for a second and made me scratch my head for some reason. I needed to think about it.

Your post actually really made me think about my own beliefs & being simultaneously drawn towards this meditation and mala set & feeling uncomfortable with the whole idea at the same time, if that makes sense.

Coincidentally, I received my copy of "The Way of Wyrd", that was recommended on the homepage, in the mail this week, and am almost already done with it...the ideas I seem to be focusing on within the book center around this very topic..

I think I am going to take some time to read more about the above mentioned traditions in your post, and read more about the Tibet burial traditions mentioned elsewhere here in this thread. I mean, I have read in the past about such things here and there, but never took the time to really study it and put real thought into it.

Thanks again for sharing your thoughts,

~Ruby

I wanted to take a second and revisit this post. I did not give what I felt to be a real response to your well thought out, and obviously knowledgeable post, because it stopped me in my tracks for a second and made me scratch my head for some reason. I needed to think about it.

Your post actually really made me think about my own beliefs & being simultaneously drawn towards this meditation and mala set & feeling uncomfortable with the whole idea at the same time, if that makes sense.

Coincidentally, I received my copy of "The Way of Wyrd", that was recommended on the homepage, in the mail this week, and am almost already done with it...the ideas I seem to be focusing on within the book center around this very topic..

I think I am going to take some time to read more about the above mentioned traditions in your post, and read more about the Tibet burial traditions mentioned elsewhere here in this thread. I mean, I have read in the past about such things here and there, but never took the time to really study it and put real thought into it.

Thanks again for sharing your thoughts,

~Ruby

You're quite welcome. I hope you enjoy your research.

• 1 year later...

I had to reread this a couple times there was just something nagging me about it. I do a lot of bead work I even use them in spells. Most people I know are aware of this and some even give me beads they are not going to use. I then remembered that a while back someone had given me some odd beads that are very very old and have a strange feel about them. I had put them away and because they are a little odd looking forgot about them untill this post. I don't believe these are by any means skull bones but there is something about them that gives you a vibe. I think I have been unconsciously avoiding them because of this, so I dug them out and did a little search to find out just what they are. It turns out they are slave beads, I really really don't like that yet I also don't think discarding them is the right thing to do. There is history in them that needs to be remembered but I also think making them into something to sell disrespects that history ( I hope that makes sense) .

They are made out of shell and coral a few bone , and here's a link to what I have Diaspora.uiuc.edu

I contacted the lady who gave them to me after I did the research and she admitted they came from an archeological dig, how the heck she got them I have no idea. It turns out she gave them to me because she felt (weird) about having them. So now I have smudged them and cleansed them but I still know I don't think I should have them. I got to admit this is due to the fact people steal our relics all the time and have no regard for them . I live so rurally that a museum is out of the question and even if I found one they would just be put away because well other than the NA pupulation Montana is super white. Does any one have any ideas, I really wish I could send them home but I have no idea where that would even be. Ok I feel like an idiot here but seriously these where so important to them and I can feel it .

I wouldn't clean them or remove their "slave" association - hang into them until such time as you need to completely overpower someone, have complete control over, make them a "slave" to something. It isn't nice (depending on the reason you're needing to control them, lol), but this isn't always a nice craft :-) Use them with care and forethought, be aware of their associations, and do what is necessary when it is necessary.

M

I had to reread this a couple times there was just something nagging me about it. I do a lot of bead work I even use them in spells. Most people I know are aware of this and some even give me beads they are not going to use. I then remembered that a while back someone had given me some odd beads that are very very old and have a strange feel about them. I had put them away and because they are a little odd looking forgot about them untill this post. I don't believe these are by any means skull bones but there is something about them that gives you a vibe. I think I have been unconsciously avoiding them because of this, so I dug them out and did a little search to find out just what they are. It turns out they are slave beads, I really really don't like that yet I also don't think discarding them is the right thing to do. There is history in them that needs to be remembered but I also think making them into something to sell disrespects that history ( I hope that makes sense) .

They are made out of shell and coral a few bone , and here's a link to what I have Diaspora.uiuc.edu

I contacted the lady who gave them to me after I did the research and she admitted they came from an archeological dig, how the heck she got them I have no idea. It turns out she gave them to me because she felt (weird) about having them. So now I have smudged them and cleansed them but I still know I don't think I should have them. I got to admit this is due to the fact people steal our relics all the time and have no regard for them . I live so rurally that a museum is out of the question and even if I found one they would just be put away because well other than the NA pupulation Montana is super white. Does any one have any ideas, I really wish I could send them home but I have no idea where that would even be. Ok I feel like an idiot here but seriously these where so important to them and I can feel it .

Hey Athena. The beads you are describing I think are more commonly known as Trade beads. Do you know what area they were found in? In my exploration of African culture and this does involve the slave trade. That on the African continent the beads were used as trade. Then when the Africans were enslaved they became a way for the slaves to have an identity and a connection to their mother land. It almost became a way for them to honor their Eguns (ancestors).

I have a few trade beads, and I have never felt anything "bad". There has been some sadness and fear attached to them, but I find that by honoring my african brother and sister Eguns that the beads usually feel more welcoming and warm to me after that.

In my opinion, do whatever feels right to you.

I will say, after about a year...closer to 2 years actually, I guess, of knowing about these human mala beads, I ended up buying a set, for very good reason. I think, looking back, they were calling to me to use them, but I somehow wasn't ready for them. I just know, when it started to feel right, it was right. Before that time, it was just all wrong. Clear as mud? lol.

Search yourself, your thoughts, your intuition and don't make any rash decisions, are my individual thoughts. Could be that they are in your possession for a reason. Someone once told me that sometimes things travel, not just people. Who knows, they might be there for a specific purpose that hasn't revealed itself to you, as of yet. Maybe, maybe not. Either way, I'm sure you'll end up doing what's right for you.

*I will say the fact that you are listening to the beads and seem to have respect for them & their essence, shows me that perhaps they found their way to you because of that respect.

No matter what you decide to do with them, good luck with it, Athena. I thought RF's words were interesting too, since he has some of these kinds of beads already...

Interesting stuff.

I wouldn't clean them or remove their "slave" association - hang into them until such time as you need to completely overpower someone, have complete control over, make them a "slave" to something. It isn't nice (depending on the reason you're needing to control them, lol), but this isn't always a nice craft :-) Use them with care and forethought, be aware of their associations, and do what is necessary when it is necessary.

M

I think this is great advice. The only other thing I can think of is if you're really that uncomfortable having them around, you should perhaps pass them on to a witch who wants them and/or knows what to do with them. I can think of at least one witch on these forums who wouldn't mind taking them off your hands.

1349107472[/url]' post='134846']

Hey Athena. The beads you are describing I think are more commonly known as Trade beads. Do you know what area they were found in? In my exploration of African culture and this does involve the slave trade. That on the African continent the beads were used as trade. Then when the Africans were enslaved they became a way for the slaves to have an identity and a connection to their mother land. It almost became a way for them to honor their Eguns (ancestors).

I have a few trade beads, and I have never felt anything "bad". There has been some sadness and fear attached to them, but I find that by honoring my african brother and sister Eguns that the beads usually feel more welcoming and warm to me after that.

These are what is called a slave bead here because trade beads are wampum or Native American traditional beads I live on a reservation so not suprising really. These are the whitish colored shell and bone type bead they are very crudely made ( early) and they are defiantly from Africa somewhere. That's the thing though Africa is a very big place and they could have come from anywhere there or a few other places.

My biggest issue with these beads is they are tainted they where stolen and stolen from those who had nothing. I do a lot of bead work and use old trade beads a lot but I know where they came from for the most part. These though feel like they need something that I haven't done not to mention they seem angry or there's anger attached its hard to describe. I'm just not sure what to do here its stupid I know but it's like they need something ( weird I know) I'm not by any means an expert on African culture maybe there's a.spell or ritual I could do in a way they ( or what Evers attached) will understand and except and be at peace. It's hard for me to be around souls in pain humm not sure why I said soul (interesting) I have dealt with ancestors that are in pain or need help to be at rest but those are rituals I understand. I have tried a couple but its like hitting a language barrier where what ever this thing is isn't understanding me. It's not evil just lost? Sad and in pain. I'm doing some research into it , I'm thinking I need a more African type spell here. I'll either get it figured out or send them on their way.

• 2 months later...

While I use items, which incorporate beading in my practice, I am not familiar with the use of mala beads of any material. Thinking I was perhaps missing a valuable aspect of this post, I did a quick search and discovered this . . .

http://mitziconnell....ally-represent/

My question is, do you agree with "Mitzi's" assessment that beads are for worry? If worry is a recognizable purpose for these types of beads would the evaluation apply equally in regard to Native American or African cultures? Which leads to another question, does worry impact our energy levels? I was specifically thinking of the aspect of the link that deals with harm caused by wearing mala beads for too long, as they mess with the natural flow of energy. Reasonably, worry impacts the flow of energy, so this may not be too far off the mark.

While I use items, which incorporate beading in my practice, I am not familiar with the use of mala beads of any material. Thinking I was perhaps missing a valuable aspect of this post, I did a quick search and discovered this . . .

http://mitziconnell....ally-represent/

My question is, do you agree with "Mitzi's" assessment that beads are for worry? If worry is a recognizable purpose for these types of beads would the evaluation apply equally in regard to Native American or African cultures? Which leads to another question, does worry impact our energy levels? I was specifically thinking of the aspect of the link that deals with harm caused by wearing mala beads for too long, as they mess with the natural flow of energy. Reasonably, worry impacts the flow of energy, so this may not be too far off the mark.

I enjoyed reading that article, thanks for posting it. It's a bit too early in the morning for thinking deeply (still waking up), but I'll try..lol

In my (very limited) experience, I would say there is a lot of truth to that. Thinking even to my own mala beads, thinking back on my own reasoning for getting & using them, had a lot to do with "worry". I also know that when using them, my energy flow changes somehow, although I don't know exactly how or why. I do think it has something to do with mantra, sound, and posturing. I can also say that when I first started using it, I was experimenting with my posturing while reciting mantra early on, and paid a price for that. I got a terrible migraine that lasted 3 days (I don't get migraines normally) . It was an amazing experience for me during the use, but I paid afterwards. There was definitely some sort of energy flow change going on, and I didn't feel like myself again for at least a few days.

Using mala beads is a bit like trance work, I guess-maybe even the same thing (at least for me)? It makes sense to me that for one using beads (especially a witch), they are "charging" them and they should be limited for their intended use.

I do think worry affects everything in life-from our energy levels, to how we approach life. To successfully detach yourself from detrimental human emotions like "worry" (not all worry necessarily, just excessive or debilitating worry, maybe?) is a benefit of mala beads. I could see how that would be a universal truth with the use of mala beads, no matter who is using them. They are meant to be a calming thing that helps center an individual, whether it is through connecting with an individuals God/Goddess/deity, or for just connecting with the more spiritual side of life in order to help the mundane side.

But, using them all of the time, I guess would be akin to using any other thing too much, that is meant for a specific, intended, purpose.

But, I am still exploring all of this myself, so....to be continued, I guess..lol

Anyway, good stuff, you made me think this morning..I'd be interested in what others have to say about all of this, in their own experiences with mala

• 5 months later...

I often use the bones in my practice, I live near a forest in the mountains of northern Italy. I find walking or when I find a crow or a dead bird, bury him with lots of offers and then ask permission to the spirit of the bird to be able to use his bones, which I use if it accepts, and once finished the purpose I bury bones with other offers and thanks. I do not think it's disrespectful, it depends if you do it by honoring and respecting the master of the bones. Regarding the use of the bones I wrote an article on my site, just to explain a respectful use for me.

http://www.ilnocedisplendor.it/index.php/13-sciamanesimo/25-la-rinascita-delle-ossa

If my english isn't correct, correct me please!!!And sorry!!

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Archived