Photo
- - - - -

Claccha Brath

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
22 replies to this topic

#1 Anara

Anara

aspire beyond fear of death (Bhairavi)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,168 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 03:02 PM

I was wondering if anyone here knew anything about this old, apparently ancient, simple form of divination through stone throwing and comes from druidic magic. Apparently, it uses a gold stone, a black stone, and a silver stone

Anyway, you ask your question, then throw the three stones..the black stone is the basis stone or anchor stone...gold means "yes" and silver means "no". If the gold lands closer to the black stone, the answer is "yes"...if the silver is closer to the black, then the answer is "no".

Someone told me they read it in an old book, years ago, but cannot remember where they read it. The only info I can seem to find on the internet involves an oracle tree.

Anybody ever hear of this one and know anything about it?

Thanks,
~Ruby

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you will always long to return." ~ Leonardo Da Vinci

#2 Vermilion

Vermilion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 05:57 PM

I know that clach brath are also known as 'rocking stones', and were once associated with witchcraft/druidism. They're large stones that are perched so precariously that a vibration of the right frequency through the ground gets them moving back and forth. They're also called Logan stones (one in particular is know as "Logan Stone"). There is a wikipedia page on rocking stones. My pup that we just had put down was named Logan.
I am my own Keeper; my own Sower, my own Reaper.
~ V ~

#3 CelticGypsy

CelticGypsy

Crazy NastyAss Honey Badger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,105 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 06:39 PM

I was wondering if anyone here knew anything about this old, apparently ancient, simple form of divination through stone throwing and comes from druidic magic. Apparently, it uses a gold stone, a black stone, and a silver stone

Anyway, you ask your question, then throw the three stones..the black stone is the basis stone or anchor stone...gold means "yes" and silver means "no". If the gold lands closer to the black stone, the answer is "yes"...if the silver is closer to the black, then the answer is "no".

Someone told me they read it in an old book, years ago, but cannot remember where they read it. The only info I can seem to find on the internet involves an oracle tree.

Thanks,
~Ruby

I know that clach brath are also known as 'rocking stones', and were once associated with witchcraft/druidism. They're large stones that are perched so precariously that a vibration of the right frequency through the ground gets them moving back and forth. They're also called Logan stones (one in particular is know as "Logan Stone"). There is a wikipedia page on rocking stones. My pup that we just had put down was named Logan.

Wow this is facinating, thank you ladies for cluing me in ! This type of divination is what my Father would do, yet I was not privy to the name ! This means so much to me ladies, all these years I always thought my Dad was just pitching rocks, and playing some sort of game. I have tears in my eyes, you both have given me so much enlightenment. I want to know more about this type of divination. Thank you both, Ruby and ~ V ~ from the bottom of my heart.:heart:

Warmest Regards,
Gypsy

" The last thing you wanted a Witch to do is get bored and start making her own amusements, because Witches sometimes have erratically famous ideas about what was amusing "

Terry Pratchett Legends 1 

#4 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 11:21 PM

It was (and still is by some) believed that there are several solitary rituals one can do to gain the "power" and one of these was the rocking of a Logan Stone.

M

#5 Anara

Anara

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,168 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 03:17 PM

Wow this is facinating, thank you ladies for cluing me in ! This type of divination is what my Father would do, yet I was not privy to the name ! This means so much to me ladies, all these years I always thought my Dad was just pitching rocks, and playing some sort of game. I have tears in my eyes, you both have given me so much enlightenment. I want to know more about this type of divination. Thank you both, Ruby and ~ V ~ from the bottom of my heart.:heart:

Warmest Regards,
Gypsy

You're welcome, Gypsy!!! So happy that you found all the information useful to you!

Two things I forgot to mention about the stone throwing...I was told it is better to personalize the stones with your own symbols, ect...and they are to be worn in a little pouch around your neck, or on your person, when not in use...nobody else should touch them...or so the story goes. Personally, I bought a piece of pyrite, hematite, and black aventurine for my "set" and won't be putting any symbols on them...we'll see how it goes.

Anyway, good luck in finding more info. about them!

sidenote: Now, that I am reading about more info. regarding the Claccha Brath and/or Logan Stone <thank you Vermilion and Michele!!>, I am thinking maybe the person who told me this, might have had the name of this form of divination incorrect??? So, for now, think I'll just call it "stone throwing"..lol.

Best Regards,
Ruby

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you will always long to return." ~ Leonardo Da Vinci

#6 CelticGypsy

CelticGypsy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,105 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 05:05 PM

Thanks,
~Ruby

I'm wondering since this druidic magic, Ruby, do the stones have to be gold, black, and silver. Would the ancients have those particular element stones, just laying about. They would of had of had some mining skills to procure those particular stones. Plus gold, being heavier than silver, you know what I mean ? Something to ponder. lol ! Especially when tossing them.

Regards,
Gypsy

" The last thing you wanted a Witch to do is get bored and start making her own amusements, because Witches sometimes have erratically famous ideas about what was amusing "

#7 8people

8people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 05:58 PM

One of the largest cavern spaces in england was created by bronze age miners who would have had to dig it out by hand in the dark, risking terrible injury and death.

I believe our ancestors were a lot more resourceful and had access to much taken for granted nowadays. There are many easier to access minerals that are silver and gold in colour. Veins of pure gold and silver as chemical elements would, of course, be rarer - yet much travel and even domestic findings could have supplied some of the highest ranks with what they required. May have even been gifted by nobility and merchants to help sweeten the deal when asking for prophecy.

#8 CelticGypsy

CelticGypsy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,105 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 07:25 PM

One of the largest cavern spaces in england was created by bronze age miners who would have had to dig it out by hand in the dark, risking terrible injury and death.

I believe our ancestors were a lot more resourceful and had access to much taken for granted nowadays. There are many easier to access minerals that are silver and gold in colour. Veins of pure gold and silver as chemical elements would, of course, be rarer - yet much travel and even domestic findings could have supplied some of the highest ranks with what they required. May have even been gifted by nobility and merchants to help sweeten the deal when asking for prophecy.

Very interesting 8's thank you. Yes I can see that these substances could be more readilly available to our ancestors. We have a saying here, "Money talks, bullshit walks ".. it wouldn't surprise me if nobility requested prophecies, from the Druids within the heirarchy of Ireland and the Clans. Knowing how the papacy ran back in those day, it wouldn't surprise me if these substances ended up in Rome either, in the hands of greedy Popes and Cardinals.

Regards,
Gypsy

#9 Anara

Anara

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,168 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 12:34 PM

I did a little reading on this, for my own curiosity and to maybe help shed some more light for you Gypsy.

I googled "stone throwing" this time instead of Claccha Brath and found another website that specifically mentions this type of divination. The site simple refers to this practice as divining stones . Although it does not use specifically gold, silver, and black...it's along the same lines...maybe this was taken from a different tradition?? I don't know...but here is the info if it helps you and anyone else who might be reading this thread...

"Obtain three smallish stones, one of a bright or light color, one of a middle shade, and one very dark. Their use is in simple or yes/no situations. Roll the three stones in your hand like dice, and cast them. The middle stone is the indicator, the light one "yes," and the dark one "no." Whichever is closer to the indicator is your answer. The closer the stones are to the querent, the stronger the answer."

Here is the link where I found this... -----> http://www.eristic.n.../divination.php

I also looked in one of my books, "The Goodly Spellbook" and found something similar...a technique describing reading the past, present, and future with three pebbles using three stones...one white or yellow, one black, and one reddish...if you have that book, it explains how to use that variation as well...

Seems this type of divination may have permeated through different traditions and adopted different variances.

Hope that helps

~Ruby

#10 Anara

Anara

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,168 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 12:50 PM

I'm wondering since this druidic magic, Ruby, do the stones have to be gold, black, and silver. Would the ancients have those particular element stones, just laying about. They would of had of had some mining skills to procure those particular stones. Plus gold, being heavier than silver, you know what I mean ? Something to ponder. lol ! Especially when tossing them.

Regards,
Gypsy

LOL! Good point regarding the weight of gold vs silver :)

In fact, now that you pointed out the issue of weight, I noticed the three stones I have are similar in size and not in weight...the pyrite is lighter than the hematite..not by much, but could be just enough to make a difference when throwing them. I think I'll get a new set of stones for this purpose!

Thanks,
~Ruby

#11 Vermilion

Vermilion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 10:54 PM

[...]

sidenote: Now, that I am reading about more info. regarding the Claccha Brath and/or Logan Stone <thank you Vermilion and Michele!!>, I am thinking maybe the person who told me this, might have had the name of this form of divination incorrect??? So, for now, think I'll just call it "stone throwing"..lol.

Best Regards,
Ruby

I believe "brath" means knowledge, so that part makes sense, and "clach" means stone or rock... so I think it fits. :)

I am my own Keeper; my own Sower, my own Reaper.
~ V ~

#12 brea

brea

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 11:00 AM

Here's a set for sale.

http://www.celticcal...itual_items.htm

I found this in a book called Miracles: inviting the extraordinary into your life, by Richard Webster. Search google books for it.

"I have had a great deal of success with Sky stones. The ancient Celts practiced a variety of forms of stone divination, as they believed that everything, even stones, possessed a spirit. Sky stone divination is one of several forms of divination recorded in The Book of Fferyllt, one of the ancient texts of Wales. Sky stones are limited to yes, no answers but are astonishingly accurate. You will need 3 stones, about 1" in diameter, 1 each gold, silver, and black. I used gold pyrite or tiger eye for the gold, hematite for silver and obsidian for the black. These colors symbolize the 3 Druidic thresholds of dawn/gold, dusk/silver, and midnight/black.
To use, hold them together in one hand while you think of your question. Gently toss them onto a flat surface and see which stones is closest to the black one. If gold is nearer than silver, the answer is positive. If silver is closer, it's negative. If they are the same distance apart, they need to be thrown again.
If you experiment with them, accept the answer. Do not keep tossing the stones in the hopes of a different answer. They lose their effectiveness when doubted in this way."

So apparently it has it's origins in Wales. It's unclear why they are called Sky stones.
I like this. A nice, simple form of divination that anyone can use.

Brea

Edited by brea, 01 September 2011 - 11:09 AM.

#13 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 11:22 AM

There was a book out some times ago - fictional - call the Alchemist by Paolo somebody (I do have the book somewhere but have to get ready for work, lol, so can't look it up right now). Anyway, in it he mentions two stone one light and one dark, tha he used for yes or no answers if I am remembering correctly. The stones actually had names and I think a story but don't quote me as it has been quite a while since I read the book (was a gret book, btw). Has anyone read that and does anyone remember??

M

#14 8people

8people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 11:31 AM

Managed to find a UK site that sells gemstone spheres an inch in diameter. If anyone is interested (crystalage.com) they also ship to Europe and America.

Would be interesting to see if it can be adapted in a similar way to the pin and candle divination.

#15 Mountain Witch

Mountain Witch

Practical b/witch

• Moderators
  • 3,826 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 11:53 AM

the Alchemist by Paolo somebody

Paolo Coelho

For purposes of action nothing is more useful than narrowness of thought combined with energy of will.
~ Henri Frederic Amiel

You can access my blog and get autographed copies of my books through my website

#16 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 12:04 PM

Paolo Coelho

Yes - thank you!! Excellent book and a very easy and enjoyable read.

M

#17 Anara

Anara

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,168 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 02:31 PM

I believe "brath" means knowledge, so that part makes sense, and "clach" means stone or rock... so I think it fits. :)

oh good, thanks for that info. !! :)

~Ruby

#18 Anara

Anara

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,168 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 03:44 PM

Lots of info posted here. Cool!

Adding two more books to my wish list; Book of Fferyllt and The Alchemist

Thanks!

~Ruby

#19 CelticGypsy

CelticGypsy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,105 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 12:23 AM

I did a little reading on this, for my own curiosity and to maybe help shed some more light for you Gypsy.

I googled "stone throwing" this time instead of Claccha Brath and found another website that specifically mentions this type of divination. The site simple refers to this practice as divining stones . Although it does not use specifically gold, silver, and black...it's along the same lines...maybe this was taken from a different tradition?? I don't know...but here is the info if it helps you and anyone else who might be reading this thread...

"Obtain three smallish stones, one of a bright or light color, one of a middle shade, and one very dark. Their use is in simple or yes/no situations. Roll the three stones in your hand like dice, and cast them. The middle stone is the indicator, the light one "yes," and the dark one "no." Whichever is closer to the indicator is your answer. The closer the stones are to the querent, the stronger the answer."

Here is the link where I found this... -----> http://www.eristic.n.../divination.php

I also looked in one of my books, "The Goodly Spellbook" and found something similar...a technique describing reading the past, present, and future with three pebbles using three stones...one white or yellow, one black, and one reddish...if you have that book, it explains how to use that variation as well...

Seems this type of divination may have permeated through different traditions and adopted different variances.

Hope that helps

~Ruby

Thank you Ruby, it's shedding more light. The link was great.:grin_witch:

Regards,
Gypsy

#20 Whiterose

Whiterose

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,747 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 05:59 AM

There was a book out some times ago - fictional - call the Alchemist by Paolo somebody (I do have the book somewhere but have to get ready for work, lol, so can't look it up right now). Anyway, in it he mentions two stone one light and one dark, tha he used for yes or no answers if I am remembering correctly. The stones actually had names and I think a story but don't quote me as it has been quite a while since I read the book (was a gret book, btw). Has anyone read that and does anyone remember??

M

Paolo Coelho

This book is what I thought about when I read this thread. The divination method requires one to put both stones in a pouch, ask an objective question and pull a stone out. White means no, black means yes. The stones are called Urim and Thummim.

This is an excellent book btw.