Share your home made soap recipes

LightBurner

Thanks for the tips! I'm in the UK, where can I source these items here? We don't have Hobby Lobby or Michael's! :)

Hi Rowan! I'm in Canada ... I used Google and found a ton of soapmaking resources close to my home or at least, within the boundaries of my province and also Canada. I'm betting there are people near you as well that can offer a good product. From what I've seen - many of the online resources are better priced that the chains, anyway.

I'm so glad to see these posts ... I am just about to embark on my first soap-making project and everyone's input has been helpful. Thanks.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I use melt and pour, usually with goat's milk base. I don't make soap often - only for what I need which is usually only once or twice a year. I believe lye is made from pouring water over wood ash (don't quote me though) but I do konw it has ash in it. I would think this may be of great worth when using hearth ash (depending on wood burned and working done in heearth) but I just don't live in the day when people had the time, knowledge, or patience to make things from that sort of scratch. Time is a great need in the modern day (amazingly enough since we have so many appliances that "save" us time) and so I will probably stick to melt and pour and buying candles, lol.

M

Sort of, potash usually treated with lime is for KOH (Potassium Hydroxide) though NaOH (Sodium Hydroxide) is more common from most suppliers.

I do not know the intricacies of producing lye from scratch personally, and don't think anyone in the family does either. Home-grade lye would rarely be as strong as the chemical compounds available in the shops though which might make it a more comforting solution overall.

Might look into it when I've got my own methods for the actual soap down to pat. The trouble would be getting away with acquiring a sizeable amount of hardwood ash required! ;)

The trouble would be getting away with acquiring a sizeable amount of hardwood ash required! ;)

I could easily send you a 55 gallon drum! We have an ash pile - from cleaning out the fireplace. It's huge! (And also a great place to bury stuff from spells that I want to disintegrate.)

• 3 months later...

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with dying soap. I recently made a batch of soap to get a pink rose color but it took ALOT of dye, like 60 drops. I'm just wondering if that red dye is safe or not because of the amount I had to put in. Any thoughts?

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with dying soap. I recently made a batch of soap to get a pink rose color but it took ALOT of dye, like 60 drops. I'm just wondering if that red dye is safe or not because of the amount I had to put in. Any thoughts?

Not a soap-maker (except for a quickie melt-and-pour for myself) but I've read that if you use dye specifically made for soap that it's safe. Candle dye, on the other hand, is not. So if you were using "soap dye", I think you're good.

Not a soap-maker (except for a quickie melt-and-pour for myself) but I've read that if you use dye specifically made for soap that it's safe. Candle dye, on the other hand, is not. So if you were using "soap dye", I think you're good.

Alright thanks. It was soap dye, so it should be alright then.

Has anybody ever taken regular soaps and melted them to repurpose ?

We have soaps out the yazooo from all different hotels we've stayed in. I was wondering if I could re-purpose them.

I think I'd have to zing them about in my blender though...before melting them...:thinking:

Thank you!

Regards,

Gypsy

Has anybody ever taken regular soaps and melted them to repurpose ?

Gypsy, not only is this done privately, but there's actually a non-profit that takes used soap from various hotel chains, remelts it into usable bars & distributes it in 3rd world countries where soap is a luxury.

You can do it but need to be careful about which soap you combine with which. Depending on the ingredients, some won't melt together and you'll just end up with a mess on your hands.

I used to do the facial soaps together & the body soaps together back when I was traveling a lot. Didn't end up too badly but sometimes a little chunky as some just won't melt. It'll go better if you do break 'em up a bit ... they'll melt faster.

Gypsy, not only is this done privately, but there's actually a non-profit that takes used soap from various hotel chains, remelts it into usable bars & distributes it in 3rd world countries where soap is a luxury.

You can do it but need to be careful about which soap you combine with which. Depending on the ingredients, some won't melt together and you'll just end up with a mess on your hands.

I used to do the facial soaps together & the body soaps together back when I was traveling a lot. Didn't end up too badly but sometimes a little chunky as some just won't melt. It'll go better if you do break 'em up a bit ... they'll melt faster.

Oh yes you are so right M.Witch, about the soaps. When we moved up here, and in all my unpacking I found boxes and boxes of hotel soap. I donated them all to the Women's shelter up here. They were so happy to get soap for the women.

I've just recently found another lost box of more high-end soap, I must of sorted them out prior to packing the soaps. Most are nice just the way they are, yet I wanted to embellish them with some herbs and scents. Repurpose them in a new way.

Did you use a double boiler method when you melted and repurposed yours, M.Witch ? Thank you.

Regards,

Gypsy

Did you use a double boiler method when you melted and repurposed yours, M.Witch ? Thank you.

Regards,

Gypsy

Nope. At the time I had an electric stove so just put a pyrex bowl on the burner on really, really low and stirred frequently. Now, with a gas stove, I'd more than likely use the double-boiler as pyrex doesn't like open flame.

Nope. At the time I had an electric stove so just put a pyrex bowl on the burner on really, really low and stirred frequently. Now, with a gas stove, I'd more than likely use the double-boiler as pyrex doesn't like open flame.

Oh great, my new cook stove is electric, I'll give this a go. Thanks again.:wink:

Regards,

Gypsy

• 1 month later...

I just got some rubber things today to put in to my molds for an embossed effect on a rectangular bar. I will try it out in the next few days to see how well it works. If it works good I may try embossing with different materials to see what works best. Already I have some ideas brewing....

How has everyone else's soap making adventures gone so far? Any new ideas to breathe life back in to this thread?

• 3 weeks later...

So the embossing thing worked amazing. Here are a few pics of how they turned out.

I tried freezing them so they would set up quicker. It worked pretty well.

post-721-0-33321900-1329872365_thumb.jpgpost-721-0-79089300-1329872369_thumb.jpg

Also, I don't know if I told you CG because I now can't find the original soap thread, but I found the mold with nubs! Five bucks. http://www.spiritcra.../barsomode.html

• 1 month later...

I have had an urge recently to research the (cold process) lye soap method. I found a slew of videos online but I like this one the best as the lady at the end had a bunch of different ingredients to put in the soap afterwards like crushed candy cane and cloves. Mmmm.

This video show the rest of the process http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ww7vM5hKhz4&feature=related . I love how she's making the soap in what looks like the Bayou lol.

Oh WhiteRose, those soaps are beautiful ! They looked like they turned out rather nicely. Yes I found that popping them in the freezer over night worked much better than the fridge.

Thank you for the link, I just ordered a bunch of scentless glycerin and goat's milk soap, to make some more soaps again.

I tried to re-purpose with older hotel soaps, what a mess, what chunky goop, what the hell was I thinking. :sickwitch:

I'll be ordering some molds from the link for sure.

I'd also like to try my hand with that cool solid lotion bar, that Freki showed us. The same molds could be used for that, like the soap, I'm thinking.

* giggles * you still entertaining the " nub mold " ? * giggles *

Regards,

Gypsy

Thanks! That's good to know that you can't repupose hotel soaps. It must be the way they are made. I was looking at the solid lotion bar this morning and was thinking of trying my hand at it. I would have to get the supplies for it though. If you try it before me, let me know how it turns out.

• 1 year later...

Giving this a bump, as I couldn't find this post to save my sorry soul.  Thanks Jevne for finding it for me. :)  You go girl !

When this Post was created, somehow the photos I tossed in of my home made soaps got lost or vanished.  Some of my Peer's photo's as well.

This Post can hold hands with another Post in the Private Section of the Forum,  but I thought it would be fun to see how creative the new Members are with

crafting Magical Soaps and the choices they make with using certain oils or herbs or seeds with their Path.

I'll look into my files for those photo's and post them again.  Nothing like a good magical soap for a Witches working.

Regards,

Gypsy

S7300086_zps1b284c1e.jpg?t=1376749852

I took the left over Valentine Day's candy container and made some small hand soaps, glycerin based and added protection oils, honey and a few other herbs, one herb was hyssop.  Wrapped one in plastic wrap and in went in my pocket book, so I had my soap with me when I traveled.  One could do this and give this as a gift to another. Very inexpensive and a lot of fun to do.  Lots of possibilities with soap.

Regards,

Gypsy

S7300069_zps47facb70.jpg?t=1376749957

Here's another example of my homemade Soap.  Nice size, filled with oils and herbs.  Rosemary, Lavender and Borage.  I used the same mold for my Ice Panel Pane, one could add a string to these and wrap them in cheeseclother and hang them in one's closet, adding to a protective smell on one's clothes when enchantment is needed.

Regards,

Gypsy

The soaps that you have posted pictures of are certainly lovely; very creative, as always.  I have seen a variety of soap molds at the craft store, but none quite as nice as what you have presented here.  I don't make my own soaps.  Someone else in my family does that for me.  I may pass along some ideas to him. 

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks! That's good to know that you can't repupose hotel soaps. It must be the way they are made. I was looking at the solid lotion bar this morning and was thinking of trying my hand at it. I would have to get the supplies for it though. If you try it before me, let me know how it turns out.

The main problem with hotel "soaps" is that they're not really soap.  Look to see if it says beauty bar or detergent or something besides soap.  Soap is only soap if it goes through a sapofication process (lye and fat actuallty combining in a chemical process).  If they're not soap it's a gamble if it will melt down.  True soaps technically can be re-melted (or milled) but some they each melt at their own tempuratures.  Some are more forgiving than others.

Archived