• Please log in to reply
120 replies to this topic

#101 SerpentWitch

SerpentWitch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 08:36 PM

I'm Niamh, I'm Kira, I'm the VampireQueen. I'm known by many names in different communities. Some names were given to me by friends, others were chosen. I'm all of them, but none of them are what I am. I do feel like my tools get more powerful or more linked to me when my name is on them. But they get even more powerful when I put some of my essence in them.

Edited by NiamhBrennaDarcy, 04 February 2014 - 10:19 AM.

Posted ImageWalking in Darkness

#102 Solanaceae

Solanaceae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 05:19 PM

I was born a witch.  It's what I am.  Being born did not make me a master at anything.  (There's plenty of threads discussing the born/became thing if you want to search for them).

I guess my question is - in your world - what is that allows one to 'become a Witch' that also makes them a Witch-master at the same time?

Are you saying that joining a group (as in a coven) is all it takes to become a Master Witch? 

Very good question, I look forward to the response.

Some are born to sweet delight,

Some are born to endless night.

(Fragments from "Auguries of Innocence") William Blake

#103 Apryl

Apryl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 12:15 AM

There are no hard and fast rules in the Trad Craft.

Thanks for your well thought out reply. I didn't quote all of it (though I thoroughly enjoyed the whole post) but this bottom lines it for me.

#104 Horne

Horne

Wyrdling

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 28 September 2014 - 07:38 PM

No witch name. I just use Horne because its what my name would be in Dutch. The original name is Latin and I don't like it.

“Awake becomes
what once was known,

forgetfulness is fleeting.”

#105 spiritgypsy

spiritgypsy

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 12 October 2014 - 12:13 PM

I do not have a "witchy" name. I always go by my given name. I feel my given name is magical in itself as it was chosen with love from my parents. What more magical can there be? I also feel that I am a witch all the time. I don't need to raise magical energy when I'm trying to work magic. Of course, I'm a kitchen witch so my magic is a little lower key than some.

Anyway, that's my thought on the topic.

#106 Caps

Caps

Phytokinesist

• Moderators
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 12 October 2014 - 01:16 PM

My first name is Teutonic, it likely predates Christianity in Europe. BUT it's very common and is largely associated with the English king who commanded the armies of the church in the 3rd Crusade.  The name itself was once likely a title rather than a name as it means "rich and powerful leader" Richard.  I usually go by Rich.  Some "nicknames" I've gone by in the past are "Rico" and "Dickie" depending on the crowd I'm hanging with at the time

My middle name is Semitic in origin, and is biblical.  I don't go by that name. 

My surname  is Anglo-Saxon in origin.  My mother's maiden name is Norse in origin, which is rather curious because her father was not a Norseman, he was a Native American.  We speculate that perhaps my great grandfather was part Norwegian or Swedish, but we have no way of knowing for sure because the ability to read and write and keep records by that part of the family was severely lacking. 

That being said, I was given a family name regardless, which I think has power in itself.  I was named after my grandfather's father.

I don't see any reason to go by a witch name.  It seems silly to me unless I was doing a black metal act or something. 

"It is the still and silent sea that drowns a man." - Old Norse proverb

"It is better to be a warrior in a garden than a gardener in a war."

#107 Nikki

Nikki

Air Bender

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,051 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 05:57 AM

The power (or lack-thereof) of names is something I've been exploring for the past few months... and find it fascinating to ponder.  

I think people are miss-named more often than we care to admit (even by the most well-meaning parents) so renaming oneself would make sense... not only for craft purposes, either.

Should a witch use a witch name, would it change her/his energy signature? 

Edited by Nikki, 13 October 2014 - 07:47 AM.

The difference between Medicine and Poison is the Dose. :oil-bottle:
I Love you as certain Dark Things are to be Loved,
In Secret, Between the Shadow and the Soul.
- Pablo Neruda

#108 bewitchingredhead

bewitchingredhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 10:16 AM

A witches true name is never revealed to anyone but the closest and chosen few family. A true name can be used for all sorts of mischief by other witches, misguided outsiders or any matter of being. That, I thought, was a hard and fast rule.

​At the risk of sounding like a dumbass, I'm gonna ask anyway.... Would your given name not hold more power to other witches who wanted to do mischief than your "magical name" since it's the name most people know you by (compared to very select few), that sign on all your legal documents, that's legally registered to you, etc.... you get the drift. If I knew your actual name, from a theoretical point of view based on your statement, why would that make you less impervious to an attack, mischief, etc.?

Edited by bewitchingredhead, 13 October 2014 - 10:17 AM.

I see you're getting your degree in art of the obvious~myself
Without music life would be a mistake~ Friedrich Nietzsche
Immorality: The morality of those who are having a better time~ H.L. Mencken
When nature has work to be done, she creates a genius to do it~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
We cannot teach people anything; we can only help them discover it within themselves~ Galileo

#109 ArcticWitch

ArcticWitch

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 03:21 PM

According to my parents, my first name was selected to honor a prominent ancient river.  I loathed my name for over two decades because, at the time, it was an uncommon name for a female; those effects still linger, and I still go by gender-neutral initials in business and online acquaintanceships.  I've since grown to not quite love it, but appreciate it and the power it holds, both on a personal level as well as a world history level.  I refuse to share my middle name with anyone but my closest long-time confidantes: it was my grandmother's first name, and watching her be an abused doormat when I was growing up is not a pleasant association that I want triggered if someone were to casually start calling me by that name.  My last name comes from an Old Norse word meaning "someone who lived on a ridge"- apropos for a hedge-riding witch, eh?

As a result, I've never felt the need to christen myself with a separate witchy name.  I resonate with the character of Aiwendil from 'Lord of the Rings' and think the name sounds beautiful, phonetically- but can't quite wrap my head around identifying myself by a name other than what I've been calling myself since I was old enough to talk.

#110 nemi

nemi

• Seekers
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 05:46 AM

In my practice I have always been told never to inscribed my name on any tools in case they are ever 'discovered', which could result in one being burned at the stake. Connecting and personalising is done in other ways.

#111 Pikkusisko

Pikkusisko

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 07:45 AM

I don't really prescribe to it. There are still places in the world where people live their whole lives without a name. I think your role is more important in defining you.

& why can't a symbol be just as an effective representation as a sound? A name worked for Rumpelstiltskin but I can't imagine it works for everyone. Couldn't we also argue the way we write our signature might be even more important than the way we say it?

'There's rules to this stuff. Wishing an event to be changes elements before and after it. Memories will be destroyed, babies will not be born, potential worlds could be evaporated by your wish.' - Prismo

#112 Wexler

Wexler

Something wrong? Blame retrograde

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 18 April 2015 - 03:34 PM

I used to have a thing about names.

I would feel uncomfortable sharing my legal name to anybody and even on websites I would have a different name for each one.

I recently realized that I was doing nothing but dividing myself up.

I am working with a new paradigm that says there is no difference between the mundane and the magical --- why should I have a magical name? To me that only delineates magic from mundane, and I don't currently agree with that.

My name is my name. I am so proud of it :) I do not want another.

'Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.'

'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.'

[avatar source]

#113 Ravenshaw

Ravenshaw

Life is good

• Moderators
  • 1,155 posts

Posted 18 April 2015 - 08:04 PM

I recently was of the opinion that having an alias was of no importance. However, after a run-in with a band of manipulative witches, I've decided to take up an alias. I will not use this name for workings, but I will definitely use it in new circles of witches until I get to know them better. More of a nickname, I suppose.

RSKHFMY

#114 Wexler

Wexler

Something wrong? Blame retrograde

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 19 April 2015 - 01:44 AM

I recently was of the opinion that having an alias was of no importance. However, after a run-in with a band of manipulative witches, I've decided to take up an alias. I will not use this name for workings, but I will definitely use it in new circles of witches until I get to know them better. More of a nickname, I suppose.

Not a bad idea at all :)

'Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.'

'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.'

[avatar source]

#115 Sengdroma

Sengdroma

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 08:00 AM

As a solitary I do not feel the need for a witchy specific name. However, online I always use Sengdroma as it feels like the energy within me. It came about when we had our farm and I needed to come up with a name for the farm for tax purposes. We had Yak and so a Tibetan name was perfect. Sengdroma is a goddess who protects the herds. I am also mother to 4 boys who I am very protective of. The name fitted every aspect of my personality and so I have always used it. 

#116 Verin

Verin

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 04:07 PM

My witch name is the same as my username here. I picked it because it stems from veritas, the truth. And being a Witch is my truest self, hence the name :)

#117 Steriki

Steriki

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 08:41 PM

I have absolutely no problem with my real name, my parents lovingly chose it and it suits me. I do believe that knowing someone's name (the one they answer to spontaneously) can hold power especially if you want to connect with them. I don't have a "witchy" name because I use my real name in witchcraft. Referring back to the original post, I don't mark my tools with my name as many of them serve multiple purposes and I don't want to have to explain why my cleaver has my name scratched on to it! I do use an alias online simply because, like I said, there can be power in the name with which you identify. "Steriki" is a phonetic spelling of "sterretjie" which means "small star". I like it because even the smallest stars shine, and up close none of them are really small.

*Not all who wander are lost *

#118 CherryDNA

CherryDNA

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 08 July 2017 - 07:36 PM

I think everyone should follow their heart when it comes to choosing or not choosing a witch name. Personally I don't really feel like I need one. When I was younger I would have probably taken a witch name, but it was partly because I wasn't mature enough to actually understand the once I already had.

It took me years to learn that the names I was given as a child were actually a lot like me. I was trying to be something I was not, but when I came to love myself I also started to love my names since they all have beautiful and very true meanings to who I am. My first name means purity, second one rebel and loved and the third one wise. The way I see it, my parents gave me these names wishing for all these things for me, so in a sense I believe they hold some magic already in them. My first name is also my grandmothers second name, who had some witches in her family so that's magical enough for me!

If I were to take a witch name someday, I think I should earn it some way or another. That's just how I personally feel. I'm not sure why, but that's just how I feel. I guess it would not hold such a powerful meaning to it if I would just come up with one for no reason.

#119 Duchess

Duchess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 09 July 2017 - 05:49 PM

I've always liked the idea of witch names, but never took one up. I love my first name. It's a common boys name, but very uncommon for a woman to have, and is spelled so weirdly no one can pronounce it (hippie parents). I think it suites me despite all the weird looks I get when I introduce my, usually very femininely dressed, self with an old school boys' name. (That being said, if I have to write my name for someone to call out - barista, waiting queue, etc - I usually just put Voldemort so people don't have to guess the pronunciation.)  Duchess has also been my nickname for years, and feels like a solid second name to me. It stems from my brother trying to make fun of me, and it back firing on him.

These two names feel like me. I think if I ever took up a witch name it would have to be something that developed from something, not something I picked out.   

#120 Moly

Moly

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 11:21 AM

I first encountered similar ideas when reading "Wizard of Earthsea" by Ursula Le Guin at about age 9 so I think my notions about it have developed from there. My "true" name came to me later at about age 15 in reading Shakespeare and straight away I knew it was for me. It was as though Shakespeare, the master namer of all things in English, had intended for me to find it. I know that's silly but that's just the way that I felt about it at the time. Years later (recently) I have confirmed my magical name through study and it has become woven and bonded throughout my being by a naming ritual that I went through, of swimming through a lot of names and confirming that this was the right one. It is a single, brief, highly descriptive word that is so low-frequency in language usage that I have never heard it pronounced by another person.

It is not "just a word" for me, but then again "language" is not "just language" for me. I don't believe that it's something that I just "made up myself" or "sillyness", I believe that it's something that was "destined" for me. I don't believe that my legal name ie. my daily use name has any special meaning, to me it is just a label, something that enables people to get my attention easily, and something that many other people share. My legal name and identity also happens to be sort of fraught and complicated, for family reasons. Anyway, for me that is purely for purposes of getting my attention and signing documents and getting paid, it's not for describing who I really am.

I think this comes back somewhat to philosophical concepts of "essence" which were disrupted by modernist philosophical work. The process of naming is an act of recognising "essence", an act of comprehension that it is possible to contain a meaning. When I choose to deny my essence, I feel that I am "lost", I become "fragmented", I "lose myself". When I recognise my "essence", I feel that I am reminded of "who I am", and "where I am going". I am focused on and guided by my "inherent self".

I don't share my "true" name with any human being, it's secret from humans.

I don't mark my tools because they are non-corporeal, "psychic" spirit form only, do not have any tangible real-world form. I adopted this way of using tools because I am paranoid about being trapped in some strange situation where I do not have any access to magical tools. I have been in this sort of situation before, and it was very unpleasant. But, I would not need to mark my tools because being spiritual they are part of me and can only be commanded by me. No one else could access or touch them. They're a part of my being.

Edited by Moly, 11 July 2017 - 11:24 AM.