• Please log in to reply
120 replies to this topic

#81 CrowMusings

CrowMusings

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:56 PM

My witch name is my tribal name, Crow, they are one in the same and are who I am. I have a mundane name which is Lisa, so many know me as both it depends on the moment what they call me. I feel this name gives me power because it was given to me, but nothing more than that, I don't think it's magical in any way on it's own.

Edited by CrowMusings, 15 January 2013 - 07:57 PM.

#82 StarryAmethyst

StarryAmethyst

• Seekers
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 07:57 PM

for me its weird all my friends give me nick names. I think those are more special.
Posted Image

“Just because I'm on a different path doesn't mean I'm lost.”
― ~unknown~

#83 Fier

Fier

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 02:53 AM

The first group I joined had a practice of taking on a name which represented something about ourselves we needed to either overcome or internalize.

I really like this idea. Not that I would go around introducing myself as that name, or even share it anywhere. But I think it could be very helpful for self-transformation to look myself in the eyes in the mirror and say, "Okay, She Who Is In Control, get your shit together and let's go."

#84 Willau

Willau

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 02:28 PM

Willow was a name I chose when I first started my path as a teenager. It stuck with me for a very long time. When I was married the second time thee first 3 letters of my last name and the first 3 letters of my first name created Willau. Seems I sort of drifted into my own name. :D

#85 pyewacket

pyewacket

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 03:42 AM

A witches true name is never revealed to anyone but the closest and chosen few family. A true name can be used for all sorts of mischief by other witches, misguided outsiders or any matter of being. That, I thought, was a hard and fast rule.

#86 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 03:56 AM

A witches true name is never revealed to anyone but the closest and chosen few family. A true name can be used for all sorts of mischief by other witches, misguided outsiders or any matter of being. That, I thought, was a hard and fast rule.

I have never personally known a Trad that used any sort of magical name, but I believe some of those working in initiated traditions from pre-Gardner days "might" use magical names or names given to them within their Covens.  Not really certain about that, so I'll let those folks comment as to the veracity of that statement.  You will quickly learn that not everyone here is following the same exact Path, so hard and fast rules really don't have much weight. 

#87 Autumn Moon

Autumn Moon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 05:46 PM

I don't have another magical name. My name is magical :)

#88 Wexler

Wexler

Something wrong? Blame retrograde

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 03:22 AM

I'm afraid I'm an outlier who doesn't have a magical name and probably not even a "true" name, depending on how definitions go. That probably has something to do with me not being a trad witch  a witch from a traditional family :D

I have never heard this as being a "rule" before, although of course I am likely not as educated as you are. For myself, I think I'd rather have some DNA than a name for mischief causing!

Edited by Wexler, 03 August 2013 - 03:23 AM.

'Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.'

'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.'

[avatar source]

#89 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 12:30 PM

Are we talking "magical name" or are we talking "true name"?  Magical name, to me, is a name one gives one's self becuae it sounds magical (or some people believe the spirits give them the names) and a true name is one's actual birth name, which includes their lineage (I.e. John Edward Smith, son of David William Smith, Grandson of Willie Jonathan Smith, etc...) It is  my understanding that that sort of "true name" is often kept private to an extent becuase it makes specific claims, and other people could (and have) "borrowed" that name to try and add weight to who they are. My name is Michele on the forum and the internet in general. My real first name a few know.  Some who have snail-mailed me know one of my last names (I have two - maiden and married), but none know my mothers maiden name, etc. I have had a magical name in the past, which interstingly enough related to the path I was then walking, but I no longer use it. I do use my full name, which is related to my lineage (not a magical one as my family in and of themselves are not magical, but a lineage of who I am. My non-witch lineage. For others this may well be a witch lineage). 

M

#90 RoseRed

RoseRed

. . . Not a big believer in . . . cowinkydink ;)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 04:05 PM

I almost don't want to admit this but the first thing I thought of when I read 'true name' was the Eragon book series.  The author goes quite in depth about the power held in a 'true name' and how as you learn and grow, mature and change that your 'true' name changes as well.  It's a major secret because of the power held in the true name.

When my wings get tired I grab my broom.

#91 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 05:48 PM

I'm not familiar with that series... it sounds like one of the "trilogy" type series.... if it was any good post it in the book thread - I'm always looking for an enjoyable book!

M

#92 RoseRed

RoseRed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 07:48 PM

I liked it.  Magic and dragons and different races all fighting for a common goal.  I think there were 4 books in the series and talk of another series picking up where this one left off.  It's been a long time since I read them but I think I'd read them again someday - especially if he does come out with a follow up series.  The movie Eragon came from the book series.

I haven't made it to the book thread yet.  I'm still going thru the old Discussion of Articles forum but I posted it here for you http://www.tradition...gr-inheritance/

Edited by RoseRed, 03 August 2013 - 07:50 PM.

#93 anjeaunot

anjeaunot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 431 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 12:05 PM

There are no hard and fast rules in the Trad Craft.

Trad witches are free to do whatever they choose to do with their own skills and abilities.  Nobody has the right to gainsay them.

Evidence is lacking for witch names in the British Isles prior to the 16th century.

It does appear that the Protestant leaders who fled England and Scotland in the 16th century returned with the views of the continental witch-hunters:  witches were baptized by Satan, and every witch had a Satanic baptismal name!

IMO very few of the old families or old covines used witch names.  Of course, there could have been some exceptions.  Trad witches have always gone their own way and devised their own formats.

IMO there was an upsurged interest in witch names during the 20th century.  Gardner was a member of an Order – run by Michael Juste – which celebrated Golden Dawn rituals.  Gardner was frustrated that he couldn’t establish the O.T.O. in England, and resurrected witchcraft instead.

Gardner adopted the arm gestures used by a magical order founded by one of Crowley’s disciples.  Indeed, Wicca is the fulfillment of Crowley’s dream for a new world religion which honoured the Great Mother and the Solar Phalus!  Wiccan “names” are similar to magical names.  The strict rules and observances of Wicca owe more to magic than witchcraft.

It’s entirely up to the individual witch whether she/he opts to use a witch name.  IMO it was never mandatory.

#94 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 12:33 PM

Thank you for that well informed response, Anjeaunot.

#95 CelticGypsy

CelticGypsy

Crazy NastyAss Honey Badger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,105 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 02:59 PM

I, " second " that Anjeaunot, thank you.

"It’s entirely up to the individual witch ", "Trad witches have always gone their own way and devised their own formats." "There are no hard and fast rules in the Trad Craft."

Well said.

Regards,

Gypsy

" The last thing you wanted a Witch to do is get bored and start making her own amusements, because Witches sometimes have erratically famous ideas about what was amusing "

Terry Pratchett Legends 1 

#96 moonthorn

moonthorn

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 06:20 AM

Well said , Anjeaunot.  Thank you. I am in agreement.

#97 foxman

foxman

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 10:55 PM

When I was initiated into my Family tradition at the tender age of fifteen on the evening of 30th of April, 1957, I took my witch name. When I became an Elder, ten years later, I took my Elder name. There are only two ceremonies we do in our tradition Neophyte (initiation and Eldership which is not an initiation but a sacrement of taking on the power of a leader. Gerald Gardner would call that Witch-master - but the silly bugger does't realise you are a master as soon as you become a Witch or a part of a group and whether you pay fealty to a god or not! I am religious, so I do - Its just 'me' but I don't expect others to follow suit,  it is between them and their Spirit-Guides (whether you see them as Gods, your ancestors, or Uncle Tom Cobbley and All)! foxman.

#98 foxman

foxman

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 11:28 PM

The names we associate with Witch names are ones such as Myrddin, Amergin, Sidhe, Clota, Coventia, Coventina, Andraste (the goddess who gave The Queen of the Iceni the power and the umph to take on the Romans. As you can see, God names, Goddess names, Druidic or Shamanic names are what we use - so they are not like some of the popular  witch-names like Pyewacket or grim-tooth, though the latter might be used by Viking or Scandinavian witches. Some of these pre-date Odin and Thor to a time before the ideas of the Wyrd and The World Ash-tree. Some of the ancient traditions of Germany and Austria are still very strong with old traditions there such as the traditions surrounding the Mjolnir and the tree that came before it - especially in Bavaria. Vlad the Impaler (the original person they hung the ideology of Drcula upon) was so blood-thirsty against his enemies of his countrymen that he impaled their heads on spikes leading up to his Castle - which still stands in Transylvania. He didn't drink blood like a vampire - though human who do still exist -as its a part of an illness in which they have to drink human blood in order to live - I guess that the Blood Donation Service was like winning the lottery for them! :D foxman 

#99 foxman

foxman

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 11:42 PM

CrowMusings, is a case in point about names. Its a tribal thing, very much for us. Some of our members use the name 'Ulf' rather than wolf. The leader of a group in Cheshire (not far from Delamere Forest)  uses a name used by the animal he twins with shamanically. His closeness to this wild animal is such that at times he wakes up in a cold sweat and can see what the animal is doing in Russia - so far away. This animal chose him, not the reverse. He sees this as a 'sacred horse' where the animal comes through him whilst he is away in his country. It's a good thing in a way that he lives on his own since his wife passed on, as he would scare seven kinds of crap out of most people when he melds with his tribal animal. foxman

#100 RoseRed

RoseRed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 03:03 AM

Gerald Gardner would call that Witch-master - but the silly bugger does't realise you are a master as soon as you become a Witch or a part of a group and whether you pay fealty to a god or not!

I was born a witch.  It's what I am.  Being born did not make me a master at anything.  (There's plenty of threads discussing the born/became thing if you want to search for them).

I guess my question is - in your world - what is that allows one to 'become a Witch' that also makes them a Witch-master at the same time?

Are you saying that joining a group (as in a coven) is all it takes to become a Master Witch?