120 replies to this topic

#61 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 01:01 PM

I respect what you are saying, but I have resolved this dilemma. I eliminated the on/off switch, ripped it out of the wall and threw it in the garbage.

No matter where I am at or what I am doing, who I am with or what is going on in the world around me . . . I am first, foremost and always a Witch.

I like to get "in the mood" for certain things, too, so that I understand, but my name is my name all the time. There is no demarcation, no difference.

That said, if you are more comfortable with such and it makes you feel a greater connection, that is wonderful, and I appreciate you sharing your thoughts.

I would have to agree with this. Over time I found that the more I would add special things to something to make something special, the more separate it can become from everyday and the less it feels like a part of everyday life.... the more the connection only (feels like) it exists while you are doing that special thing, or being that special person. It becomes a special part of your life you "wish" you could be in all the time. And you start romanticzing about the past, about "back in the day" when people used to live "closer to those things". But they're here always - it's us who've relegated them to only "special" times. Including your god if you are of that pursuasion (which I am). When I am standing in the hex-threads I will now state my name becuase not everything knows who I am (like walking into a room full of people, not every one knows you), but I use my given name, the name I was given at birth, by my family, from my family, related to my ancestors. That IS who I am and who I cam from. When talking to the Hag or the Elder or my divinity I don't state my name- they know who I am as I have done so much work with them.

M

#62 Gramayr

Gramayr

'Mysterio'

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,282 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 01:09 PM

I've sometimes wondered whether to use my given birth name here or stick with my username (which I've had for a long time). My name isn't religious so to me is neutral in nature except for it being Welsh.
One day I might change it but it makes no difference to who I am.

"Great spirits have often encountered violent opposition from weak minds." - Albert Einstein

#63 Whiterose

Whiterose

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,747 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 02:44 PM

I don't use my birth name on the site for obvious reasons. Too easy to track someone down nowadays. I do use it with those I trust though. My username is symbolic to me but not really a "witchy name" like others are describing. I see it as one would see a nickname. I haven't changed my name since I have been here because it has become my identity on here, part of my everyday life on this site, not someone special I become.

#64 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 03:35 PM

I don't use my birth name on the site for obvious reasons. Too easy to track someone down nowadays. I do use it with those I trust though. My username is symbolic to me but not really a "witchy name" like others are describing. I see it as one would see a nickname. I haven't changed my name since I have been here because it has become my identity on here, part of my everyday life on this site, not someone special I become.

Lol- when people change their user name it always confuses the hell out of me (especially if I've known them by one name for a while)... I'm alwyas thinking "now who the hell is that again??" Michele isn't actually my birth name, but it is a name I use on the internet for both privacy and as my birth name is extremely unique and no one can pronounce it, anyway, lol.

M

#65 Gramayr

Gramayr

'Mysterio'

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,282 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 04:25 PM

..my birth name is extremely unique and no one can pronounce it, anyway, lol.

M

My name isn't actually pronounced as it looks lol, found that out at school when we had a teacher from Wales for a while.

When my kids were born I wanted to give my daughter an Irish name but my other half wanted something that she could spell (spoilsport)

"Great spirits have often encountered violent opposition from weak minds." - Albert Einstein

#66 Evergreen47

Evergreen47

Ms. Spock

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 05:49 PM

Lol- when people change their user name it always confuses the hell out of me (especially if I've known them by one name for a while)... I'm alwyas thinking "now who the hell is that again??" Michele isn't actually my birth name, but it is a name I use on the internet for both privacy and as my birth name is extremely unique and no one can pronounce it, anyway, lol.

M

Well, now I'm just dying of curiosity about it!! Hmmmmm.... Posted Image

As for me, I don't have a witch name, and never felt the need to have one. I also don't inscribe my tools, but I don't have set ritual tools. I use what's around. I do have a few objects, "fetishes" may be the best way to describe them except that I don't worship them, that I work with a lot, but I don't put my name on them because they have their own names. I think my angry stone would be pretty peeved if I just started writing my name on it. Posted Image These are objects that work WITH ME, not necessarily tools I WORK WITH.

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

-=Frank Herbert=-

Rock on, gold dust woman. Take your silver spoon and dig your grave.

#67 Whiterose

Whiterose

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,747 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 10:15 PM

Well, now I'm just dying of curiosity about it!! Hmmmmm.... Posted Image

As for me, I don't have a witch name, and never felt the need to have one. I also don't inscribe my tools, but I don't have set ritual tools. I use what's around. I do have a few objects, "fetishes" may be the best way to describe them except that I don't worship them, that I work with a lot, but I don't put my name on them because they have their own names. I think my angry stone would be pretty peeved if I just started writing my name on it. Posted Image These are objects that work WITH ME, not necessarily tools I WORK WITH.

Is this a common practise now in the new age areana? During my trip through Wicca, I had not heard of it so maybe its new. It seems rather silly and childish to me to be writing your name, let alone a private witch name, on your tools. I can see naming the tool and inscribing its own name. I read that and got transported back to my memories of second grade when all of our school stuff had to have our name on it. :pumpkin_rolleyes: No thanks. I wouldn't do it either, to me screams impractical and childish.

#68 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 12:26 AM

I have noted that a few new members and even some who have been around for awhile claim to use a Craft or magical name, so I thought I would bump this thread for review of the various reasons that people do or do not elect to use an alternative name. The practice is apparently selective to specific traditions or ways of practicing, but is not necessarily an across the board "Traditional" decision. In fact, in some of these responses, the decision to choose another name does not appear to be linked directly to their being a Witch, but is more a reflection of their attempt to identify with certain characteristics and/or to escape some aspect of themselves or their past, which I think is interesting. Anyway, to each their own, though I admit I've had my share of laughs at some of the "witchy" names to be found on new age websites.

The second part of this discussion, which is worth a bump, is the talk of inscribing your name on your tools, which generally is not done by Trad Witches. If you think about it, giving anyone or anything some way to immediately and directly identify your tools or their association with your Craft, is impractical and pretty foolish.

J

#69 Sylvan

Sylvan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 01:13 AM

I don't have a witchy name. As a solitary making her own tradition, I just haven't felt compelled to make one. I like my username on this forum but I don't use it in magic or anywhere else. I do love the usernames and anonymity of the forum because I am nostalgic for the mid-nineties internet, lol. I suppose if I worked in a group it might be appealing to be identified by a different name than the one the IRS uses. I also think I have been turned off by the ridiculous names Jevne alluded too that are circulated in new age crowds. Everyone is a freakin raven or wolf or some overly ornate moniker. It makes me want to make my witch name something like Dirt Clod. Otherwise I just feel fairly ambivalent about it, for now.

I DO like the idea of creating my own symbol or sigil and I've sketched around with some variations of making symbols out of my initials but I am remarkably untalented visually so I might need a helping hand there.

The main area of life where I am more likely to adopt another name is writing. There is something freeing about a pen name, or several, each tailored to different kinds of work--one for erotica, one for fantasy, one for my "real work", etc.

THE untold want, by life and land ne’er granted,
Now, Voyager, sail thou forth, to seek and find.

Posted Image

#70 CelticGypsy

CelticGypsy

Crazy NastyAss Honey Badger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,105 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 01:24 AM

I'm of the mindset that one doesn't need a Witchy name to cast purposeful spells, operate in rituals, ect. In reference to tools, the allies that I have come to have a relationship already have a name, so why mess that up by calling it by another name ? Sillyness really.

In regards to Thorn, that was another entire matter, His Creator made him, I wanted to have the name put on, and the Creator did, what I did was mearly bring Thorn to life and give Thorn a purpose for his life, as another ally.

As a solitary Witch, I will leave nothing behind when I leave this Earth, just my wee bit of energy. Who want's their enscribed name on Tools and such left behind for Ordinaires to touch and play with ? Some "tools" are not to be "trifled" with, imho.

Regards.
Gypsy

" The last thing you wanted a Witch to do is get bored and start making her own amusements, because Witches sometimes have erratically famous ideas about what was amusing "

Terry Pratchett Legends 1 

#71 aurora

aurora

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 02:00 AM

Dont have"tools" as such,no wands or wings. I use what i need ME. I make my own things or if im drawn to an object ,ill buy it but it would be for the sake of the object. only have a user name. No need for other. Dont really know to much about wiccan stuff,every time i try to read up on it it makes me want to fall asleep.clever guy tho,made a few bucks as you would say.would i put my name on my things, No,why whos going to nick them,how do you label the air that you breath,the earth that you walk on,the sea that ebbs and flows, the moon? the rest is stuff its all around me.Marking my teritory ,of course.Blooding ,yep.Think iv said more than enough.sounds like im philosophising, yukk

#72 Scylla

Scylla

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 05:36 AM

The first group I joined had a practice of taking on a name which represented something about ourselves we needed to either overcome or internalize. In the event that someone managed to incorporate the "message", they'd often recieve a new one that, when shared, was a real "WELL DUH! Of course that's you!" moment.

#73 Aloe

Aloe

ridge running Ozark banshee..

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,420 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 10:22 AM

The first group I joined had a practice of taking on a name which represented something about ourselves we needed to either overcome or internalize. In the event that someone managed to incorporate the "message", they'd often recieve a new one that, when shared, was a real "WELL DUH! Of course that's you!" moment.

How interesting, I'd only heard of that in Native American groups.

"The people who live in the Ozark country of Missouri and Arkansas were, until very recently, the most deliberately unprogressive people in the United States. Descended from pioneers who came West from the Southern Appalachians at the beginning of the nineteenth century, they made little contact with the outer world for more than a hundred years. They seem like foreigners to the average urban American, but nearly all of them come of British stock, and many families have lived in America since colonial days. Their material heirlooms are few, but like all isolated illiterates they have clung to the old songs and obsolete sayings and outworn customs of their ancestors." Ozark Magic and Folklore

#74 Aurelian

Aurelian

The Devils Enabler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,561 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 11:14 AM

Dont have"tools" as such,no wands or wings. I use what i need ME. I make my own things or if im drawn to an object ,ill buy it but it would be for the sake of the object. only have a user name. No need for other. Dont really know to much about wiccan stuff,every time i try to read up on it it makes me want to fall asleep.clever guy tho,made a few bucks as you would say.would i put my name on my things, No,why whos going to nick them,how do you label the air that you breath,the earth that you walk on,the sea that ebbs and flows, the moon? the rest is stuff its all around me.Marking my teritory ,of course.Blooding ,yep.Think iv said more than enough.sounds like im philosophising, yukk

I had to vote this up, luv, I totally agree and am the same way.

"The truth about the world, he said, is that anything is possible. Had you not seen it from birth and thereby bled it of its strangeness it would appear to you for what it is, a hat trick in a medicine show, a fevered dream, a trance bepopulate with chimeras having neither analogue nor precedent, an itinerant carnival, a migratory tentshow whose ultimate destination after many a pitch in many a mudded field is unspeakable and calamitous beyond reckoning." - Cormac McCarthy

#75 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 10:26 PM

I had to vote this up, luv, I totally agree and am the same way.

The other vote is mine.

#76 aurora

aurora

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 11:55 PM

:smile:

#77 Guest_atropa_*

Guest_atropa_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 December 2012 - 07:29 PM

The term ‘magical name’ has no foundation for me as I consider ‘magic’ is not necessarily part of my ways. Either everything is magic or nothing is magic.

In the north of Britain there is a specific way of using names, which resonates with me.
What is often asked in the north of Britain is not “what is your name” but is “what name is on you”.

The name I was given at birth is a name by which I am recognised by anyone who knows me. Call me by my birth name and I will answer to it.

But my name, that which I am is different and is only known by a few who understand what it is and why it is me. To use it recognises not only my body but my intelligence, who and what I am.

I am sometimes named Witch, a name I lay claim to because I am of the Blood, but within race Witch there are a myriad of individuals, all of whom are of the Blood, all of whom are Witch, so what distinguishes me from all the others who are Witch? It is the me that is the very core of my existance, it is what I could not stop being even if I tried, this is the name thats is on me, I didnt choose it, it is what I am.

This name holds power, which is why only those who understand what it is and why it is me know what it is.

As for the question of putting my name on my tools, I have many tools but only one that can be easily seen, it is my stang and I have no need to put my name on it. I took it from a tree and gave it life, its breath is my breath and it now exists separate from me yet we are bound by threads we have woven together. Whenever I work my stang is with me, it needs no branding, no name signing on it, it is what it is, no amount of giving it my name would change the way it works.

Edited by atropa, 18 December 2012 - 09:11 PM.

#78 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 04:19 AM

Atropa,

Either everything is magic or nothing is magic? Not sure I understand your meaning here. Can you elaborate a little as related to the subject at hand or your practice in general?

Thanks.

J

#79 Guest_atropa_*

Guest_atropa_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 December 2012 - 09:06 AM

It may be taking the thread off topic but I am happy to answer to clarify.

When an individual works to cause a change or effect in either a person or a situation, what is done is either magic or it isn’t, and is dependant on whether the worker understands what has caused the change or effect.

Once what causes ‘magic’ to happen is understood then it is no longer ‘magic’.

Magic is something that happens without knowledge of how it works.

Hence either everything is magic or nothing is magic.

#80 Athena

Athena

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:07 AM

Re the "witch name" I think the main point there was PH's reference to it being a "key" to your deep self (and your definition of deep self). It is hard becuase so many people defiine things different ways, and many things have more than one definition, but to me the "deep self" is my fetch/shadow self - the part of me that goes on, the part that peers back at me when I pierce the veil, the part that travels, etc. I believe there are "two" - the shadow self and the HGA which is both you and also not you (hard to define, lol) as is my fetch both me yet also separate in the it exists on it's own. Since my shadow/fetch is the part of me that has that connection and works magic, etc., I use its name. I would NEVER tell another that name for it would give them knowledge and access to me on another level than mundanely (i.e. someone could hex me mundanely in this world, but without access to my shadow (the true and real me) it can't go further than that).

M

I'm quoting M here because she wrote this far better than I could have, this is why we have a secret name and why it's never used outside rituals. The other reason we do this is that this name is supposed to be a true description of yourself. It's never one of those awful movie names like bear shitting in woods instead it tends to be something more intuitively descriptive and maybe even completely at odds with what you would name yourself . I hope I'm not making a hash of this if you have ever read the region books where they talk about true names for things that actually comes closest to what I'm meaning.

Tools, I don't name my tools first because I don't really see the point I know they belong to me. I do blood knives and occasionally other things . I feed / blood a new knife so it won't cut me in the future. I have blooded only a couple things they are usually fetishes that have a spirit of their own and I need them bound to me. Beyond that though I don't do much for things like scissors or rock hammers and so on because I just use what ever ones about and don't have specific ones every time.