• Please log in to reply
120 replies to this topic

#41 Gray

Gray

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 12:22 AM

Re nameing tools and/or "making them one's own" how does everyone feel about "blooding" their tools or marking them with blood, oathing to the spirit (within the tool or to that with which one works). Obviously a tool so marked could never leave one's possession, but I have marked (some of) my tools with many things from my body.

M

It's a valid method of bestowing personal essence and power to an item. It's not for everyone, and not used on everything, but binds a special item a little more closely to you.

On the original subject, I'm going to agree with Magentarose. A name is just a word. To call a cat a feline or a dog a canine doesn't change what they are. I see no value or use for a witch-name but no harm either. It's a matter of personal taste. If you really feel the need to have one, choose one, but I suspect that you'll tire of it.

#42 seacow

seacow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 01:55 AM

I highly doubt I'd end up using the new name, if I ever decided to choose one. Maybe if one was given to me by someone, I might be a bit more inclined to use it but otherwise, no. I like my real name well enough, even though it's a bit generic over here. A lover of toponymy, etymology and all that, I've traced down the origin of my name, what it has meant before and what it still means in other places. Slayer of dragons, "desire, want".. And I truly believe that the name you've been called your whole life holds more power than one you made up yourself and nobody knows of. Every day people think of you by that name, call you by it, in my mind imbuing it with more power. I still don't think it holds great amounts of power, but more than a name you thought up yourself.

Edited by seacow, 16 July 2012 - 01:39 AM.

#43 Aurelia

Aurelia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 09:41 PM

I don't put much credence in "witch" or "true" names because, as someone has said in this thread (sorry I forget who, it was a long thread to read lol!) your birth name has been with you since, well, birth and is a name you'd answer to if called so it still has power over you. Picking a witch name (or having a "true" name) just seems like opening another avenue for someone to gain power over you, if you believe that names hold that much power.

I see names as a means of identifying something, so I don't think names hold any more power over someone than if a person had a picture of you, a lock of hair or drop of blood, etc. All of those things are identifiers so why add another thing to the list if you're concerned about someone gaining power over you - keeping one name secret yet having another known, as well as other identifiers, has always perplexed me. But, maybe there's something I'm missing and don't have the full picture.

Re nameing tools and/or "making them one's own" how does everyone feel about "blooding" their tools or marking them with blood, oathing to the spirit (within the tool or to that with which one works). Obviously a tool so marked could never leave one's possession, but I have marked (some of) my tools with many things from my body.

M

It's not something I'd do because I'd be wary about leaving my blood on things like that. I tend to find that my tools find me, rather than the other way around, so I wouldn't want to use blood to "make them my own" when they're the ones that found me to begin with - it would feel a bit too much like forcing them to stay in my possession. Maybe. This isn't something I've thought about until just so my thoughts are coming out here as they're coming to me. I've had a couple of things come and go in the past, tools or items that turn up and stay for a while then at some point just find their way to somewhere (or someone) else, so I'd think twice about "blooding" anything just because I wouldn't want it to inadvertently hinder my work by stopping something else finding its way to me, or from needing to go. I guess on the same line of thinking, I'd hate to blood a tool that later wandered off taking my blood with it!

#44 Aurelian

Aurelian

The Devils Enabler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 10:11 PM

I personally don't find a use for magical names. Just not my thing.

It's not something I'd do because I'd be wary about leaving my blood on things like that. I tend to find that my tools find me, rather than the other way around, so I wouldn't want to use blood to "make them my own" when they're the ones that found me to begin with - it would feel a bit too much like forcing them to stay in my possession. Maybe. This isn't something I've thought about until just so my thoughts are coming out here as they're coming to me. I've had a couple of things come and go in the past, tools or items that turn up and stay for a while then at some point just find their way to somewhere (or someone) else, so I'd think twice about "blooding" anything just because I wouldn't want it to inadvertently hinder my work by stopping something else finding its way to me, or from needing to go. I guess on the same line of thinking, I'd hate to blood a tool that later wandered off taking my blood with it!

I don't have a lot of magical shit that I use, but my blooded items are protected both by the ire of my ancestors and the passive curses I've put on them. So I'm really not that worried about it.

"The truth about the world, he said, is that anything is possible. Had you not seen it from birth and thereby bled it of its strangeness it would appear to you for what it is, a hat trick in a medicine show, a fevered dream, a trance bepopulate with chimeras having neither analogue nor precedent, an itinerant carnival, a migratory tentshow whose ultimate destination after many a pitch in many a mudded field is unspeakable and calamitous beyond reckoning." - Cormac McCarthy

#45 The Exile

The Exile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 676 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 10:17 PM

Interesting -- off topic but just noticed

Aurelia and then Aurelian. I think Aurelia mentioned the name meaning gold. But I because I did collected Roman Empire coins, there was a Roman Emperor named Aurelian.

#46 Aurelia

Aurelia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 10:42 PM

I personally don't find a use for magical names. Just not my thing.

I don't have a lot of magical shit that I use, but my blooded items are protected both by the ire of my ancestors and the passive curses I've put on them. So I'm really not that worried about it.

So you blood them for protection and not for ownership?

Interesting -- off topic but just noticed

Aurelia and then Aurelian. I think Aurelia mentioned the name meaning gold. But I because I did collected Roman Empire coins, there was a Roman Emperor named Aurelian.

Lol yeah when I saw Aurelian post after I joined I did a double take :) There was also Marcus Aurelius, and doing a quick google it says that Aurelia was a family name in Rome for a land owning family who obtained consulship, then Aurelii flourished and that's where the "Aurelius" for Emperors came from (I'm paraphrasing hehe).

#47 The Exile

The Exile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 676 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 11:02 PM

Lol yeah when I saw Aurelian post after I joined I did a double take :) There was also Marcus Aurelius, and doing a quick google it says that Aurelia was a family name in Rome for a land owning family who obtained consulship, then Aurelii flourished and that's where the "Aurelius" for Emperors came from (I'm paraphrasing hehe).

Marcus Aurelius ?!

You just made me kick myself in the behind. About 1 1/2 year ago I got the history book "Marcus Aurelius, A Life" (almost 2 inches thick hardbound) and just now remembered that I haven't read it yet. So i got to put the book out in view so I can start reading it.

Thanks Aurelia

#48 Aurelian

Aurelian

The Devils Enabler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 11:16 PM

So you blood them for protection and not for ownership?

Not for protection nor ownership, but for the connections it creates.

Yar, it's a really uncommon name, so I wasn't ever worried that anyone else would be using it, but I was wrong haha.

"The truth about the world, he said, is that anything is possible. Had you not seen it from birth and thereby bled it of its strangeness it would appear to you for what it is, a hat trick in a medicine show, a fevered dream, a trance bepopulate with chimeras having neither analogue nor precedent, an itinerant carnival, a migratory tentshow whose ultimate destination after many a pitch in many a mudded field is unspeakable and calamitous beyond reckoning." - Cormac McCarthy

#49 Aloe

Aloe

ridge running Ozark banshee..

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,420 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 12:58 AM

Not for protection nor ownership, but for the connections it creates.

I blood my tools for the same reason.

"The people who live in the Ozark country of Missouri and Arkansas were, until very recently, the most deliberately unprogressive people in the United States. Descended from pioneers who came West from the Southern Appalachians at the beginning of the nineteenth century, they made little contact with the outer world for more than a hundred years. They seem like foreigners to the average urban American, but nearly all of them come of British stock, and many families have lived in America since colonial days. Their material heirlooms are few, but like all isolated illiterates they have clung to the old songs and obsolete sayings and outworn customs of their ancestors." Ozark Magic and Folklore

#50 Apryl

Apryl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 01:33 AM

I grew up in a big city but had a "god fearing" , overbearing, strict and nosy mom . You should see what she did to my best friends Ozzy Ozbourne tape, lol. All of my stuff had to appear mundane, so it was. my point about tools is Ive always used whats there. They have power because I give them that power. If i woke up one day and one was gone, Id have to make due with something else. Its never stopped me from any works I must do.
My name was given to me by my mother and I never liked it. She liked it so much she changed her name to my name when I was 6 months old. Actually, she changed her last name, city we lived in and her religion with every boyfriend or husband she had too. As such, I spent decades trying to find the perfect, but not obviously witchy name for myself but nothing seemed right. I had many nicknames, one for every school I was transferred to. I reinvented myself, everywhere I went and where I grew up, they never overlapped. But nothing ever stuck. It never was true to who I am.
There are many names I love, that I think are beautiful or strong... romanticized to the nth degree, but none are me. I realized after so many years that my name, regardless of how I felt about it, is my name. I am who I am regardless. Its the name the spirits call me, that my world knows me by, and finally, thats good enough for me, today.
I have no judgement for anyone that wants a magical sounding or working name, but as my tools have power because I give it to them, my name is powerful because I have and use it. I am me. Maybe its my family trad, but nobody has power over me unless I've allowed it. I just dont believe it, so it isnt...for me.
Just another opinion and theyre like assholes... everyone has one. Lol :-)

Edited by bunky, 13 July 2012 - 01:35 AM.

#51 Athena

Athena

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 05:16 AM

I have a question, my family has never done witch names exactly but we do have secret tribal names would you conciderd them the same? I'm just curious because these names are given after your considered a adult and thats around twelve after your first successful hunt or for girls menstration then an elder can give you a name they feel fitsThe other way you can get a name is during a vision quest I preferred this method because I wanted a name given by the great spirit. So would you consider this a magical name? I find it fascinating how many views and beliefs are out there and the difrences for why. I can really see how each view is valid to the individual and that's the way it should be but I'm naturally curious so I had to ask lol.

#52 Whiterose

Whiterose

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,747 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 05:34 AM

I have a question, my family has never done witch names exactly but we do have secret tribal names would you conciderd them the same? I'm just curious because these names are given after your considered a adult and thats around twelve after your first successful hunt or for girls menstration then an elder can give you a name they feel fitsThe other way you can get a name is during a vision quest I preferred this method because I wanted a name given by the great spirit. So would you consider this a magical name? I find it fascinating how many views and beliefs are out there and the difrences for why. I can really see how each view is valid to the individual and that's the way it should be but I'm naturally curious so I had to ask lol.

I would be inclined to say yes, tribal names are magical names, just in a different cultural context. They both serve the same purpose as to provide a name that more closely describes the spirit of the individual while keeping a sense of sacredness due to the secrecy.

#53 Asustaba

Asustaba

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 12:47 AM

As a word lover, and as a collector of words, I see names as pretty powerful devices. I think the idea of knowing the "true name" of a thing is spelled out (pun intended) in many a folk tale...reading Rumpelstiltskin to my three year old was a great reminder of this (and everything under the sun was suddenly called this fun name for a few weeks). That said, I use different names other than my birth name for many situations, magical and common. I have a work title, and a Mommy title, and various pet names given by my beloved. I have a name I use when doing a spell that reminds me to stop taking everything so damn seriously in life (not quite a fluffy name, but a fun preposterous one nevertheless). I have a name chosen for a non-existent daughter (so far), and this one has some heft to it. It is me, but not me. Lastly, I have various computer aliases over the years, each reflecting my life at the time. This current one Asustaba means, in Spanish, "it frightened me, or I was afraid". Sums it up almost tidy, for me, and it just fits. My given name, Heather, has changed with me over the years, if that makes sense...reminding me of my botanical origins, bringing me back to the soil. So, I say that just as words have power, my experience is that a name is power with specificity.

#54 Samara

Samara

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 07:27 PM

<snip>
So, I have a few questions. First, would a "tool" (if I chose to use one) be more powerful inscribed with a name of my own choosing rather than the one that I was born with, identify with and answer to? (Not that I think I have a miraculously amazing name, I don't - I think it's pretty boring and common - but it is the name my mother chose for me). Second, how many of you have adopted the practice of choosing your own "new" name? And if you have, why was that an important decision to you?

I did, indeed, create a Witch name for myself. I found that it created a psychological and emotional "space," similar to the magical space I have for my altar and tools, that is triggered whenever I use it. I do not believe that it is essential for everyone. Indeed, we each have our own personal needs and approaches. For me, though, naming myself also served to move me away from an abusive past and a forced involvement in a religion...freeing me, in a limited way, to create a new definition of who I am.

I also just found it to be fun and enlightening. After all, the names we choose for ourselves we choose for some meaning they have for us. My birth name really had very little to do with who I was/am.

Hope that helps, or at least entertains. :)

#55 Sarafina

Sarafina

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 08:21 PM

I have a "witch" name because 1: I hate my real name, always have. It just never felt like it was me. 2: While working my psychic board, I asked what my witches name was and it told me. My friend who worked the board with me has this thing where things happen to her in three's and my name came to her three different times. Plus I felt a connection to the name. 3: It's my name from my past lives, where I am a witch in them as well.

So for me it makes sense to use my witch's name, which to me is who I am and have always been in each life I have lived. The only reason my mother named me Christine in real life is because I was born on Christmas eve. It has no other reason behind it. I have picked names for my kids that are who they are. Their name is them and it felt right. When I was pregnany with them and was looking for a name, I looked in a book or on-line. When a name popped out at out, so it was more like the name chose them instead of me chosing it. The same thing happens when I do a photo reading or tarot, or dream interpreting.

I enjoy reading everyone's take on this subject.

#56 Brambles

Brambles

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 09:13 PM

I don't have a witch name, I basically find it a tad silly to be honest. Especially as I believe that all mundane things have magical uses, a name being no different. Picking a "magical name" doesn't make it any more magical than your birth name. *shrugs*

“Pay heed to the tales of old wives.
It may well be that they alone keep in memory
what it was once needful for the wise to know.”
~ J.R.R. Tolkien.

#57 Brian

Brian

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 09:21 PM

Mine isn't really a "witch name", it's just an anagram of my real name that I use when I want to retain some sort of anonymity. It was given to me by someone else so I think it's kinda cool, but I don't take it seriously at all. My identity exists completely outside of human language, so I don't feel that it matters what name I use.

#58 frauholda

frauholda

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 09:28 PM

I've never had a "witchy" name, nor the urge to have one. I just don't think it matters, to me at least. My username is just it, a username. I'd sign myself with an "x" on the interwebs if I could.
The real name - I don't really think it matters. It may have a psychological meaning, like letting go of someones past, or changing religion etc; but in my opinion the reason why in certain spells it is needed to use someones name is because it helps to focus on the subject of the spell. I don't really think that it carries some sort of magical energy. But then again, I really liked Scott's post about persons "growing to" their names.
Very interesting thread! Food for thoughts, lol :cool_witch:

#59 Roanna

Roanna

She of the spiders and degus...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 10:14 AM

As a religious (non Wiccan) witch (yes, I know witchcraft is separate to religion...lol...let me get to my point..) I choose to have a private name for the purpose
of communicating with the deities. I wouldn't feel the need to share with anybody else. It is a personal thing between myself and those I worship.

Religion aside, I see my private name as symbolic of the higher side of who I am, the spiritual part that doesn't get cluttered with the mundane aspects of my
day to day life. It helps me separate the core of who I am from the person who belongs to the name that will get shouted down the aisles as we shop at Sainsbury's.
Its not so much about power as it is about demarcation of my different parts. Simply I see a private name as just another tool to create the atmosphere that will
enable me to switch off from the mundane world and focus on meditation, magic or whatever my spiritual self needs at that given time.

Have to say the name Shinysoul McFluffy is pure genius! Love it x

Do what you believe to be the right thing and trust yourself.

Witchpathforward My website incorporating "Ask a Witch a Question," my blog and websites of witchy interest.

#60 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 12:29 PM

Its not so much about power as it is about demarcation of my different parts. Simply I see a private name as just another tool to create the atmosphere that will enable me to switch off from the mundane world and focus on meditation, magic or whatever my spiritual self needs at that given time.

I respect what you are saying, but I have resolved this dilemma. I eliminated the on/off switch, ripped it out of the wall and threw it in the garbage.

No matter where I am at or what I am doing, who I am with or what is going on in the world around me . . . I am first, foremost and always a Witch.

I like to get "in the mood" for certain things, too, so that I understand, but my name is my name all the time. There is no demarcation, no difference.

That said, if you are more comfortable with such and it makes you feel a greater connection, that is wonderful, and I appreciate you sharing your thoughts.