120 replies to this topic

#21 sarasuperid

sarasuperid

Wild Witch of the West

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,429 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 01:41 AM

Well if the premise is that my witch name is very secret--I wouldn't write it on anything at all!

However, I have a public craft name that I am happy to write just about anywhere.

I really enjoy Paul Husson's book, but I pick and choose what resonated for me from it. There is a good portion of ceremonial magic in there--which makes a bit of sense, some cunning folk read old grimoires like the Lesser Key of Solomon and might have incorporated those things into their practices and passed it along. They might have known masons, or been in other secret societies and brought those things into their witchcraft. But ceremonial influences have such a lordy overtone that doesn't connect for a lot of people--and they figure that many witches were illiterate village midwives and such who didn't buy into all those fancy symbols etc, mostly learned their craft mouth to ear and didn't inscribe weird symbols on their everyday tools that doubled for craft tools when needed.

"A Craft, a calling, a set of Keys to unlock a particular cosmology that is borne, and born, in the blood of the practitioner, and sets the Work to be done with which one may commune with those who hold the patterns and keys of the life of the practitioner and hir stream. The Work is to be done, and we are to do it." --Aiseling the Bard

#22 magentarose

magentarose

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 08:50 PM

ok i'm going to be lame and quote Shakespeare, lol "What's in a name? That which we call a rose, by any other name would smell as sweet."

My name is just a title which is applied to the essence which is "me". I have several names that I go by, but all them are me and no matter which name I am called by, I am still the same.

In high school we all had fun names that only our circle of friends knew, but there wasn't anything magical in it.

There are 3 kinds of people in this world...those who want things to happen, those that make things happen, and those who just wonder what the hell happened!

#23 Scott

Scott

Irritatingly Thoughtful

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 788 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 11:48 AM

Greetings Ashley

It is my experience that a real magical name is given to you when you embark upon a new thing, level, path, project whatever and that in reality one rarely has the vaguest notion what it means util they have succeeded. At that point they out grow it and understand it - hence knowing some new things about themselves and their new larger world.

One other thing - most people have a tendancy to choose names that make them sound like My Little Ponies on Acid and should be teased until they get out of the habit or take the old habit of not telling others what it is.

It is true you see if you do really have one it tells those with the eyes far more about you then most would ever be aware - or be comfortable with ... *G*

Subsisto

Scott

New Me! Now with added incomprehensibilityfullness for your convenience!

#24 Grymdycche

Grymdycche

Thaumaturge Medicocre

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,480 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 06:47 PM

I had Mastering Witchcraft when I was 13 or 14, and chose a name as Huson suggested.
I don't use it though, I don't even identify with it, because I'd decided long ago I didn't actually like it - it wasn't me. It wasn't as silly as some of the wiccan names I see, but all the same, it meant nothing to me really, I had pulled it outta my ass for the sound of it rather than really think about something with a significance. I suppose one could argue that it had an intuitive value, but, it just doesn't register that way to me.

I use the nickname I have here chiefly because I'd prefer not to have my real name out there on the 'net. That said, it's more than a mere nickname, it's a stylized spelling of a real ancestor's surname, so it is really connected to me. I don't use it as a "magical" name however.

I could've used the nickname my brothers had for me all the years I was growing up, but "spaz" just doesn't have the right ring to it.. :turned:

http://runeforum.phrets.com
9 out of 10 string theory physicists agree: 'Nothing Rests; Everything Moves; Everything Vibrates'' -the Kybalion.

#25 Wytchywoman

Wytchywoman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 08:07 PM

Choosing a witch name never had any purpose or practical meaning for me. I figured the name I was given as an infant is just fine. And nope, I don't put my name on items unless they are items that I take some where that I have concerns with them getting stolen.
Smile! It makes people wonder what you're up to..

#26 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 08:50 PM

Re nameing tools and/or "making them one's own" how does everyone feel about "blooding" their tools or marking them with blood, oathing to the spirit (within the tool or to that with which one works). Obviously a tool so marked could never leave one's possession, but I have marked (some of) my tools with many things from my body.

M

#27 Oceana's Moon

Oceana's Moon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 09:25 PM

Choosing a witch name never had any purpose or practical meaning for me. I figured the name I was given as an infant is just fine. And nope, I don't put my name on items unless they are items that I take some where that I have concerns with them getting stolen.

I also feel my given name fits just fine. Mine actually stands for justice... the equal balance of the scales, the feminine and masculine qualities combining into one whole, ying and yang, so forth... plus I am born under the astrological sign of Libra, so this all fits me perfectly.
Nothing I could possibly come up with would ever suit me so well.

As for my name on here? The ocean is where I find my serenity. It completes me and there is no greater peace for me than at the seashore. And the moon? I feel her energy more than others, she also represents my moon sign, and the forces of the unseen.

M. I have never 'marked' my tools with blood. I don't really know if I would... I would like to pass them on to my children... but being my blood that shouldn't cause any problems with a simple re-dedication/ ancestor-ish concencration. I just haven't found the need to blood them as of yet.

"Success is a ladder to be climbed and you can't do it with your hands in your pockets."

#28 Abhainn

Abhainn

Lady Vagabond

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 515 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 10:07 PM

My adopted mother named me after a romance novel, and the eponymous character is nothing like me. But the name is unique enough to be continuously mispronounced. I chose my online name from the gaelic name for river because I'm always changing/flowing and water has always been significant to me. "Better to be the river not the stone in the middle; best to be the changing water, not the pebble dragged along." I don't have a name beyond that, in a witchy sense, as "Abhainn" has always worked.

I wouldn't put my name on my tools, though, as that seems redundant. The bond created through empowering an object and using it creates enough of a bond for general magical use. I do like the idea of marking with blood as a way to strengthen a bond with the tool/object and its meaning. Like marking an ancestor candle with blood to symbolically strengthen the blood call. I wouldn't do that for all of my tools/objects, though - seems quite a strong bond to be overused - overkill.

~ Abhainn

"Run mad as often as you choose; but do not faint."
hagstones.blogspot.com

#29 Wytchywoman

Wytchywoman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 11:04 PM

Re nameing tools and/or "making them one's own" how does everyone feel about "blooding" their tools or marking them with blood, oathing to the spirit (within the tool or to that with which one works). Obviously a tool so marked could never leave one's possession, but I have marked (some of) my tools with many things from my body.

M

That sounds like a fine idea to me. It sounds like it really makes it very personable for you, perhaps even more so than when some one puts another name they gave themselves onto a tool. I would be more inclined to do something like this than try to make up a different name for myself then apply to tools.

#30 Wytchywoman

Wytchywoman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 11:06 PM

As for my name on here? The ocean is where I find my serenity. It completes me and there is no greater peace for me than at the seashore. And the moon? I feel her energy more than others, she also represents my moon sign, and the forces of the unseen.

You and I certainly have this in common as there is nothing in nature that makes me feel most vibrant and alive than the ocean and the moon. Then again moon is my birth planet and cancer is my sign, so I guess a crab and the ocean do go hand in hand. :)

#31 Anara

Anara

aspire beyond fear of death (Bhairavi)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,168 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 01:00 AM

Greetings Ashley

It is my experience that a real magical name is given to you when you embark upon a new thing, level, path, project whatever and that in reality one rarely has the vaguest notion what it means util they have succeeded. At that point they out grow it and understand it - hence knowing some new things about themselves and their new larger world.

One other thing - most people have a tendancy to choose names that make them sound like My Little Ponies on Acid and should be teased until they get out of the habit or take the old habit of not telling others what it is.

It is true you see if you do really have one it tells those with the eyes far more about you then most would ever be aware - or be comfortable with ... *G*

Subsisto

Scott

Hello,

Your first paragraph makes sense to me but if you don't mind clearing something up for me, I would greatly appreciate it. In your first paragraph, I comprehend this as-a magical name is one that is spoken to you or given to you in some way, shape, or form. This is where I suspected a name like this might come from. In other words, not of your own doing, and at the very least, a prompting from somewhere else.

However, in the second paragraph, if I am reading this correctly, it looks like you are saying you as the individual pick a magical name on your own.

I would appreciate clarification on this, if you have a moment... or if anyone else would like to come along and clarify, that would be cool too.

Thank you :)

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you will always long to return." ~ Leonardo Da Vinci

#32 8people

8people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 11:46 AM

I read the second paragraph was more satirical on the premise that many new age and wiccany types like to take a random bunch of words and shove them together in a manner that puts Hasbro to shame. Such as Shinysoul McFluffy or Summerjoy Winterisalsonice. There is even a guide on Witch Vox on how to formulate such a name but I can't find it right now (Maybe an admin actually read it...)

#33 Anara

Anara

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,168 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 03:12 PM

I read the second paragraph was more satirical on the premise that many new age and wiccany types like to take a random bunch of words and shove them together in a manner that puts Hasbro to shame. Such as Shinysoul McFluffy or Summerjoy Winterisalsonice. There is even a guide on Witch Vox on how to formulate such a name but I can't find it right now (Maybe an admin actually read it...)

Hey, thanks for the response 8's. I caught the humor there, but I still wasn't sure...here's why I thought it was an interesting post...

The reason why I spoke up, was because it was the first post in the thread that mentioned a name coming from, or being prompted by something else. I have experience with this notion, but I don't ever hear of it being mentioned this way. I do think that the true meaning of a name given to you, causes you to work towards it and not necessarily one that works for you, in a magical sense. And, I'd also agree that you don't grasp its meaning-not understanding turns out to be a catalyst for growth, IMO...and I don't see a name like this as being magical per see even, just one that helps you along in life, to assist you in finding your true self, and to show that to the world. It does lose purpose once you have integrated with it, although I do think it absorbs into your soul, if that makes sense, and remains a part of you. In other words, I guess what I am trying to say, is that I don't think of a magical name as something that gives magic to spells, or even one that suits who you are-it's about something else for me-growth-"realizing" the name.

I think I might interpret magical names a bit differently..but, I've never read Mastering Witchcraft..although I just downloaded it. I'll read it later.

Having said that though, I don't see why someone couldn't find a name that fits what it is they would want to become. I think that would be very purposeful..even if it was Shinysoul McFluffy, as silly as that sounds. If it has a purpose, its useful IMO. But yea, if it is Shinysoul McFluffy, 'prolly not the best idea to go telling people that. Some things are just better left unsaid, I guess. :tongue:

Anyway, those are just some of my thoughts.

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you will always long to return." ~ Leonardo Da Vinci

#34 Scott

Scott

Irritatingly Thoughtful

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 788 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 11:21 PM

Greetings Anara, All

Well like so much in life I was being six of one half dozen of another.

It is my experience that you do get given one if needed - it is kind of just one of those things that I guess is like the membership card for the next work you undertake. I suppose I could almost say liek a side effect of initiation (not necc just something that happens when you join a new group!) Sometimes it comes, in a dream, or a vision or you might find yourself just saying it out loud, being referred to it by another or a word in a book might leap out and so forth. Or nothing might happen at all. Often we spot nothing but that doesn't mean really that nothing has happened.

Now I should qualify further tho because W.W makes a fine point I have made myself often. In my old circles we used to call them "Work Names" rather than magical names because that is kind of what they are and we found the latter to be highjacked to the extent of silliness. We all had several names as needed for the jobs we had done, were doing and so on. We all had essential or secret names too which better approximate the sort of thing most people mean when they say magical name. I am sure we are familiar with the notion that Angelic Names aren't names per se but rather Titles that express the essential nature of the job description - if you like. An excellent example of this BTW was in Bab 5 with the two Vorlons both being Kosh. That is teh sort of thing I mean. When our work overlapped we would share names as a sign of trust and function to clarify certain matters.

Now the name per se isn't vital to know, to get .. or anything else really. You can dig a hole without knowing the difference between a spade and a shovel after all. One's birth name (whether one likes it or not) does tell things about the person and often exerts currents over the development (not always for - sometimes against and so on) and is ALL SOME PEOPLE NEED. The same can be said for work names and so on.

Continuing on from that the prevalence of choosing a neato nifty sounding Magickuele (With a silent Z) name ... although something I think rightfully teased ... DOES fit the profile doesn't it!? Besides being the sign of good comedy (the joke fits the reality) it also emphasises the validity of the theory.

Consider for a moment. We have all known people who have chosen their Magical My Lil Pony Name. We have all gone aside and when the laughter died down thought: "actually that isn't too dman far from the truth - suits 'em!". We have all I'll warrant that many of them tend to grow into their names (in certain loopy ways) more and more as the days go by. It isn't unknown for people to take names and it .. well to be blunt it winding up a cause for real dismay! Such a thing incorporates itself into the fabric of one's practice.

That stands whether you like to think of it as a psychological thing or a magical thing when it is considered deeply enough. I have even known a couple of people who have shown this through and through by choosing pooly, getting totally out of their depth and being dismayed when they just tried to change it that it stuck like glue and the situation got worse. I know of one person (a one time student in fact) who showed this further with their birth name by changing it when his practice went awry. He was thinking to escape his embarassing past by changing his name. In short it didn't work at all because he never earned teh old one nor the new one so now his actual name serves to do little but remind those who know him of his weakness and failure. Tragic really.

Anyway I hope that clears it up a bit. Yes I meant it because it was real and yes the reality often serves comedy well .. and vice versa! lol

Subsisto

Scott

#35 Anara

Anara

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,168 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 04:59 PM

Anyway I hope that clears it up a bit.

Subsisto

Scott

Hello again!

Yes, it does. Thank you so much for taking the time to respond, Scott. Great post and a thought provoking one, too! :)

#36 Scott

Scott

Irritatingly Thoughtful

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 788 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 12:02 AM

Greetings Anara

Yes, it does. Thank you so much for taking the time to respond, Scott. Great post and a thought provoking one, too! :)

No probs at all .. that's me - Iritatingly thoughtful! lol

Subsisto

Scott

#37 westofthemoon

westofthemoon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 10:56 PM

My adopted mother named me after a romance novel, and the eponymous character is nothing like me.

I was named after a book character too! Again, the book character was nothing like me, but it was also a rather obscure novel by an author of another popular work from the 1800s, so...eh.

Re magical names: I do have a magical name, though I only use it in ritual and only one other person knows it besides me. I used numerology to find a name that corresponded with my birth number, finally narrowing it down to three names to consider. A few nights later, I had a dream in which I was informed by said name that "You have called us...Here We are." I know I will never forget that dream. In case you are wondering, the name is from a sad Eastern European fairy tale (and no, it's not Vasilissa, although I did try that name, it didn't quite have the ring I was looking for).

Wouldst thou like to Live Deliciously? ~ "The VVitch"

Say what you know, do what you must, come what may.

#38 Guest_iLumenate_*

Guest_iLumenate_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 April 2012 - 01:42 AM

Second, how many of you have adopted the practice of choosing your own "new" name? And if you have, why was that an important decision to you?

I've never had a witchy name.

Edited by Hedge Witch, 28 April 2012 - 03:58 AM.

#39 The Muse

The Muse

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 06:08 AM

I've thought of finding myself one for a few years now, but the older I get, the more I think my own name is right for me.

I've always thought that one of the main reasons people chose another name for themselves was for protection.

As naming something gives you a certain amount of power over them, it just made sense to me that if you hid your true name from someone, they could never hold that power over you.
So, for things like cursing or casting a spell on someone, they wouldn't have this person's true name to use and so it would not be as powerful.

=)

#40 Guest_Vala_*

Guest_Vala_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 June 2012 - 09:37 PM

I saw some pretty good reviews of Paul Hudson's Mastering Withcraft in the Book Reviews section, and I came to the section on choosing your "witch name," and from reading the section, I can see that in his mind, it's pretty imperative. I believe the exact quote had the word "must" in there somewhere.
Different parts popped out at me:"Assuming you have embarked on your career as a practitioner of the Black Arts, you will have to take a new, magical name to supplement your old, mundane one... It is, in fact, an important part of your newly burgeoning witch personality, and henceforth you will be known chiefly by it to your fellow practitioners... Having settled on your witch name, you must keep it very, very secret, as it will eventually become one of the keys to your deep mind. You will be using it whenever you wish to "switch on" to perform a spell; this will be partly accomplished by pronouncing the name silently to yourself whenever you begin your use of [the arts]." So, I have a few questions. First, would a "tool" (if I chose to use one) be more powerful inscribed with a name of my own choosing rather than the one that I was born with, identify with and answer to? (Not that I think I have a miraculously amazing name, I don't - I think it's pretty boring and common - but it is the name my mother chose for me). Second, how many of you have adopted the practice of choosing your own "new" name? And if you have, why was that an important decision to you?

I don't inscribe my (very few) tools with my name, but I have adopted a "witchy" name. I would not say it is a necessary step, but I did so for two reasons: first, because I am uncomfortable with my own given name and have never felt a deep connection to it, and second, because it carries the symbolic power of "baptising" myself into my new faith as a new person, spiritually. I wish I had thought of describing it the way you did, because the use of a magical name as a psychological switch is mainly what I use it for. I do keep my entire witchy name secret, but will use parts of it or shortened versions when I am among other witches. This may also be because I do not use ritual garb, so the use of my witch-name helps me to differentiate the magical from the mundane.