Photo
- - - - -

Tell me about your pendulum

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
72 replies to this topic

#1 Meghan

Meghan

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 04:35 AM

I've been reading tarot cards for myself for the past few years but I would like to branch out into pendulum usage. I've never owned one before and the only metaphysical store in town is 35 min away so hopefully something calls my name while I'm there : )

What is your pendulum made of? How did you find it? (or did it find you?). Any tips for picking one out?

#2 Aloe

Aloe

ridge running Ozark banshee..

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,420 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 04:38 AM

Mine is a necklace of beads that my cousin made for me, with a crystal in it that she chose and wrapped in wire herself to add to the necklace. It wasn't intended to be a pendulum, but she's very clairvoyant and has some other abilities, and sometimes gifts that she makes for me seem to take on a life of their own. lol
"The people who live in the Ozark country of Missouri and Arkansas were, until very recently, the most deliberately unprogressive people in the United States. Descended from pioneers who came West from the Southern Appalachians at the beginning of the nineteenth century, they made little contact with the outer world for more than a hundred years. They seem like foreigners to the average urban American, but nearly all of them come of British stock, and many families have lived in America since colonial days. Their material heirlooms are few, but like all isolated illiterates they have clung to the old songs and obsolete sayings and outworn customs of their ancestors." Ozark Magic and Folklore

#3 Lexi

Lexi

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 05:10 AM

My pendulum is clear quartz with a stainless steel chain and a little quartz bead to hold it by. Really simple and practical. I got it at a gemstone/mineral store at a mall where I used to live.

My pendulum and I don't really see eye-to-eye when it comes to yes/no questions (I haven't been able to get very accurate readings, but I'm more in-tune with my Tarot cards, and haven't been using the pendulum so much to have it sync with my energy), but it has helped me to spot areas of concentrated energy, and to make sure my chakras are healthy and in working order (energy work is a big part of my workings). I've found that clear quartz works best for such purposes. I tested out a rose-quartz pendulum on my hand chakras, but it didn't pick up much at all. Might be because of the impurities in the crystal.

So yeah, if you're planning to do dowsing and energy work with a pendulum, I'd recommend clear quartz or, really, whatever calls to you. Everybody's different. What works for me might not work for you. But definitely have a 'test' method in mind before buying any pendulum or other divination tool. You have to make sure you two 'get along', if you know what I mean.

Lexi [Ilexys Morighannan]

“And above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places. Those who don't believe in magic will never find it.”
- Roald Dahl

#4 ashley

ashley

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 05:12 AM

I had a gorgeous one while I was younger - my aunt brought it back to me from New Orleans, it was silver and the chain was pretty intricate. The stone/weight was a really, really unusual green color (maybe jade - I was too young to know what it was made of). I think I was in third grade and had barely any idea what to do with it. I ran around to all the other girls at recess and "predicted" what sex their babies would be.

#5 Autumn Moon

Autumn Moon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 03:47 PM

I have several, but the one I use is tigers eye with a stainless steel chain and a tigers eye ball at the end of the chain.

I program it to move the way I want it to for a yes or a no answer. I find that the more often one programs a pendulum, the answers received are correct.

Edited by Autumn Moon, 23 August 2011 - 03:48 PM.

#6 Freki

Freki

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 05:54 PM

The pendulum I use is a small crystal ball pendant that belonged to my great grandmother. She, my grandmother, and my mother all wore this pendant. I find it works very well for me.

~ Freki

~ Listen to them, the children of the night. What sweet music they make! ~
Bram Stoker's Dracula

#7 UAINE

UAINE

• Seekers
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 04:04 PM

My first pendulum I made myself from a small arrowhead of turquoise and heavy thread. I just used it for chakra clearing and not much else. I just recently received one as a gift made from a carved piece of hematite on a silver chain. It came to life as soon as I held it over my palm and started swinging in a large circle. I could actually feel its tug. As hokey as it sounds, it seemed alive. What is even hokier is that my non-witch friend brought it back to me from a vacation where she purchased it up in Salem Mass. I worked with it to establish yes and no. It is very accurate and decisive changing from yes to no quickly. This is even hokier.....I was on the net looking for a place to see some designs for a pendulum board so I could make one. I was directed to this site and forum and thusly joined. So it actually directed me here. I have been surfing the web for several years and this is the first time this site has ever popped up. I Love it when things happen like this..

#8 LdyShalott

LdyShalott

NecRomancer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 05:04 PM

Mine is a crystal I found at a gem mine, wrapped in silver wire and on a silver chain..

Most witches don’t believe in gods. They know that the gods exist, of course. They even deal with them occasionally. But they don’t believe in them. They know them too well. It would be like believing in the postman.  T.P.

In order to understand the living.. you have to commune with the dead..
You are a tiny little soul carrying around a corpse.-- Epictetus
All experience is an arch wherethrough gleams that untravelled world whose margin fades for ever and for ever when I move.

#9 RavenFlyer

RavenFlyer

Backwoods Witch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 06:10 PM

The first one i had as a child came out of my mom's old Kreskin's ESP game...lol So it was a white plastic pendulum.

The first real one was a rose quartz on a silver chain with an amber handle. It worked pretty well. And then I went to use it one day and it was gone. I was without my pendulum for over a year. Then one day I was just looking around a store and saw this pendulum that was a plain clear quartz crystal on a silver chain and the handle was a piece of Aquamarine, rose quartz and hematite. Apparently you are suposed to use it with the quartz dangling, but I find it works better if I use the quartz point as a handle.

My ETSY store:

Appalachian Witchery http://www.etsy.com/...lachianWitchery

#10 Rowan's Light

Rowan's Light

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 612 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 06:43 PM

I have a few. copper spiral, amethyst, and a black jet one I got from a comp on here. which is currently my fav and most used.

But honestly I'll use anything to hand. Although, I have avoided the truly female pendulum of the non applicator tampon. Which my friend used in an emergency . Well if it's in your handbag! :thumbsup:

#11 kaenoir

kaenoir

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 11:21 PM

My pendulum is a clear quartz on a silver chain with a small bead to hold it by. I got it from a small healing shop and so far it has be very accurate, it even lets me know when it wants a bath and what kind.

I would actually love to make one myself when I can. But this one is just great.

#12 Meghan

Meghan

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 03:59 AM

But honestly I'll use anything to hand. Although, I have avoided the truly female pendulum of the non applicator tampon. Which my friend used in an emergency . Well if it's in your handbag! :thumbsup:

Haha! Desperate times call for desperate measures!

#13 brea

brea

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 08:14 PM

I have a copper one. One end is an acorn and the other an oak leaf. I've had it for years, brought from a now defunct new age shop. I bought it because I thought it was a little unusual. It's worked well for me over the years but the one thing I would change is the length of the chain. It's too short, only 2 inches.

My advice would be to make sure the chain is long enough :).

Brea

#14 Blyss

Blyss

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 08:54 PM

I didn't buy mine specifically for pendulum use. It's an old necklace that has a wonderful heavy pendant on the bottom. Personally, I don't ascribe to buying too many gadgets for workings. If I have something laying around that will work (in this case, a heavy metal thing on the bottom of a long string), then,.....that is perfect and will do nicely. :)
Even in tragedy, there is a certain kind of beauty, a certain kind of magic that exists outside of our pain.

#15 Aurelian

Aurelian

The Devils Enabler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,561 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 09:47 PM

I had two. The first one I got was very simple, a hematite bead on a chain, the second was a blue flash moonstone mounted with a silver chain....I HAD these, haven't seen them in years, thanks for reminding me Posted Image
"The truth about the world, he said, is that anything is possible. Had you not seen it from birth and thereby bled it of its strangeness it would appear to you for what it is, a hat trick in a medicine show, a fevered dream, a trance bepopulate with chimeras having neither analogue nor precedent, an itinerant carnival, a migratory tentshow whose ultimate destination after many a pitch in many a mudded field is unspeakable and calamitous beyond reckoning." - Cormac McCarthy

#16 Whiterose

Whiterose

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,747 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 08:57 AM

I have one that is a an ametrine (amethyst and citrine together) crystal that happens to be both of the colors for my zodiac sign. The crystal is purple with a orange tinge if you hold it right and the beads are purple and orange.

The one I have been using more lately is my necklace. I have a ring that was given to me with theban script and a pentacle on it that I wear on a chain around my neck. I will use that one when I'm on the go. My first one though was just a crystal charm on a chain. While I can use almost anything as a pendulum, my ametrine crystal rejects certain people to use it. I had a roommate try to use it one time and the pendulum yanked out of his hand and cracked. It was only an inch drop but part of tip came off and their was a crack down the side. Still works fine for me, actually I think it gives it character not being perfet, but he wouldn't touch it again if I paid him. Said it felt like some one pulled it from his hand. Well...dont touch my shit. lol.

#17 brea

brea

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 11:28 AM

I didn't buy mine specifically for pendulum use. It's an old necklace that has a wonderful heavy pendant on the bottom. Personally, I don't ascribe to buying too many gadgets for workings. If I have something laying around that will work (in this case, a heavy metal thing on the bottom of a long string), then,.....that is perfect and will do nicely. :)

I agree with you about buying too many gadgets. I bought my pendulum because it was unusual, however, I already had a handmade one that worked just fine. Most of the ones I see look like they could be made so easily. Why waste the money. Plus, if you make your own, you infuse a little bit of you into the piece. IMHO :).

Brea

#18 *Tabytha*

*Tabytha*

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 02:10 PM

I have a few. copper spiral, amethyst, and a black jet one I got from a comp on here. which is currently my fav and most used.

Brilliant! I must try this one Lol!

* Tabytha *
~ on the long winding path and enjoying every minute ~

#19 *Tabytha*

*Tabytha*

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 02:17 PM

Oh, I forgot to say what my pendulum was made from...

We'll mine is an old Christmas tree decoration (a clear elongated crystal) I've removed the white & sliver tassel (wont post here what I've used that for!) and added an old leather strip to hang it from (anyone here remember the 1980's band a-ha? Yes I was a fan and still have the leather strips I used to wrap around my neck & wrists).

I've had great success with it over the years.

* Tabytha *
~ on the long winding path and enjoying every minute ~

#20 Blyss

Blyss

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 07:43 AM

I agree with you about buying too many gadgets. I bought my pendulum because it was unusual, however, I already had a handmade one that worked just fine. Most of the ones I see look like they could be made so easily. Why waste the money. Plus, if you make your own, you infuse a little bit of you into the piece. IMHO :).

Brea

I agree 100%. I think making it yourself or using what you already have makes these tools more powerful. Not to mention all the energy you don't want on the piece by people handling it..

Edited by Blyss, 29 August 2011 - 07:50 AM.

Even in tragedy, there is a certain kind of beauty, a certain kind of magic that exists outside of our pain.