Sign in to follow this  
Michele

Where Power Comes Fom

Hippity hop, and a bippity bop, and a BUMP to the boogie the beat... (okay - too much wine.. I'm bumping this for discussion, lol)

M

Guest justme

I'm inclined to believe that the Witch is the Power Source, the Witch initiates the Path, and together they become One as an accelerant, so to speak. We all have pretty much agreed that if the Witch doesn't use the Power/ Intent, that the Witch will loose the Power. ( Use it or Lose it ) Power may lay dormant within the Witch, until that spark of intuition or revelation comes and kindles the desire in the Witch to become. Once the Witch becomes , the Path chosen is initiated by the Witch, and with knowledge and application within the walk of the Path. I also am inclined to believe that the Path takes on a life of it's own, and knowledge comes to the Witch when it is walked upon in trials and experiances. The Path doesn't have a life span, like the human who continually practices it, it's eternal in it's complexities. Think about it, how many times have You influenced another's behavior, or emotions, or the course of events ? Is that not your internal Witch " Power " ? Hell... even " Ordinary People " do that. Embracing your inner Witch Power, and activating it, and walking within the current of the Path you've chose, or for that matter chose You, there should be no limitations as to what a Witch can/will do. Just my thoughts, to this Good Post/ Threads.

Regards,

Gypsy

This describes my feelings exactly. It is soooooo well said and fits my own path as I have found it. I am a very analytical person and think a lot (too much - lol) But it seems just from reading here that whether you believe in a god-form or not, spells work regardless. I do believe that there has to be the accelerant which is other energies. My spell work is intuitive - these are things that have come to me from inside. First, When I go into circle or my space I connect with my energy when it first came into my body. When it was pure, unafraid, unharmed and uninhibited. Secondly, I always invite the energy of my familiar - the goddess energy that sparked me into becoming a witch. I also use the elements but I spend time and play with each one as a child. I love them as friends. I might spend time swimming in the ocean with the dolphins and I love to watch fire entertain me. We play. I use candles because it is a tangible way for me to connect and harness the specific energy i want to command. I also use music. I always play the same music because it reaches down into my subconscious to focus my energy. Some times I do a cross excercise where my head is connected to the divine, my feet connected to my ancestors, my left hand recieves all intuition and knowlege and my right manifests energy. I do this to build my power. This is the general set up but then depending on the spell i might work with animal energies - such as the hawk as a hunter or protector (they are fierce) snake skin to rid myself of something - to shed what I don't want. I might work with colors and candles to create a certain energy or outcome. I use different types of wood as wands because they each have their own energy. The energys available are endless- not to mention times of the moon, planetary hours plants, smells ect. But it is me who decides what to do. I am the author. All of these energies in and of themselves will just be. They are not going to gather together on their own.

I love the hermetic laws. The first is that all is mental. Nothing manifests in this plane without a creative mental thought first. So I still believe the witch is the author and source of her spell. She is the creator and therefore the source of power. Where our unique power to create comes from is a whole other subject......and truthfully I don't know. I believe in the divine but I don't know what the divine is. I know I have experienced the physical presence of a spirit or enity stronger than myself. It had no body form other than being in a bird at the time which it left and moved into me.

Just my thoughts - love these threads!! They are an education in themselves. Thank you to all who have taken the time to share ideas and experience.

Interesting quote. How though, do you explain witches who tap in to that "electricity" without supplication (praying) or coersion (sacrifice)?

This question was original directed at Forest's Child on the post related to "praying" for the right to access "Mana" (I am big time paraphrasing, so please read the original comment to avoid confusion). Anyway, another thing I found during my museum trip was the following:

"Spiritual power upheld Polynesian Society

A spiritual force called mana affected almost all aspects of Polynesian life. How much mana people had depended on their place in society. A Chief's mana was his or her birthright; others gained theirs through courage, influence, skill, or luck.

Mana also revealed itself through feats associated with an object. A fishhook that caught many fish; a club that killed many enemies; a adze (?) used to create a great work of art - all of these acquired mana in abundance.

With power went danger

Some people and things had so much mana that they were "tapu" or spiritually dangerous. Even that ornaments a chief wore became tapu from his touch. To keep lesser people safe and the tapu inviolate, tapu people and possessions were kept apart from the rest" (Written on display in ancient people's section of the Field Museum).

A couple things . . .

1. Certain people are born with power (birthright), while others have to work at it. (Certainly true of the Craft, too.)

2. Objects are or can become powerful, too. Not all power is or has to be held or worked in your head.

3. Powerful objects must be kept away from "lesser" people, who might get hurt.

Thoughts?

• Upvote 1

1,yep I would agree also on that

2,well that's true of many things in the craft ie the pentacale and such, like if you blood something I would assume depending on what, would become poweful.

I also think that words are powerful but that would come from the head.In this case the list would endless. Power is all around imo earth/air /wind /fire/water.

3,most definitely I think most of us would concur with that in the craft.

...A couple things . . .

1. Certain people are born with power (birthright), while others have to work at it. (Certainly true of the Craft, too.)

2. Objects are or can become powerful, too. Not all power is or has to be held or worked in your head.

Thoughts?

Not responding to the "mana" thing as that isn't my personal religion and I'm too tried right now to sift through the quote and try to decipher it, lol, but re the 3 questions...

1. Certain people are born with power while other people have to work at it - For me, I wouldn't necessarily say that. Certain people are born with certain talents (I suck at divination and I'll never be a chef, lol), but I don't think that some people are born "power" full. I think some people are born with latent talents, and some people may be born into situations more likely to recognize and encourage the talent, but I don't think people are born specifically powerful. (But this answer also relates to my belief that "power" does not come from "me", but from my knowledge of certain things.)

2. Objects are or can become powerful, too. Not all power is or has to be held or worked in your head. This is a tricky one.... Many objects have the power to do a certain thing, but it requires knowledge of the object. I also believe, though, that the power is directly related to the nature of the specific thing. It's not going to become powerful in something that it is not (is not of its nature).

3. Powerful objects must be kept away from "lesser" people, who might get hurt. Again, for me, this goes back to my belief that a certain amount of knowledge is required, depending on the object. An object powerful in its natural state (like a poison plant) is dangerous to anyone not knowing the plant; however, many objects with inherent power need someone who knows how to draw on and invoke that power.

M

Not responding to the "mana" thing as that isn't my personal religion and I'm too tried right now to sift through the quote and try to decipher it, lol, but re the 3 questions...

1. Certain people are born with power while other people have to work at it - For me, I wouldn't necessarily say that. Certain people are born with certain talents (I suck at divination and I'll never be a chef, lol), but I don't think that some people are born "power" full. I think some people are born with latent talents, and some people may be born into situations more likely to recognize and encourage the talent, but I don't think people are born specifically powerful. (But this answer also relates to my belief that "power" does not come from "me", but from my knowledge of certain things.)

2. Objects are or can become powerful, too. Not all power is or has to be held or worked in your head. This is a tricky one.... Many objects have the power to do a certain thing, but it requires knowledge of the object. I also believe, though, that the power is directly related to the nature of the specific thing. It's not going to become powerful in something that it is not (is not of its nature).

3. Powerful objects must be kept away from "lesser" people, who might get hurt. Again, for me, this goes back to my belief that a certain amount of knowledge is required, depending on the object. An object powerful in its natural state (like a poison plant) is dangerous to anyone not knowing the plant; however, many objects with inherent power need someone who knows how to draw on and invoke that power.

M

I disagree. I do not think that knowledge necessarily equates with power.

1) A child can bring about great destruction or healing through witchcraft and know nothing about what they are doing. In my experience, there is a certain amount of inner power there and it is present in nearly everyone, though, more so in some than others. I have come across some pretty powerful children in my time and it is not something that can be easily explained. I do know that from what I experienced, that level of "power" can not exactly correlate with knowledge. I do agree that knowledge can help to develop one as witch or hone and strengthen "power" but "power", to me, is more closely related with biochemical energy or life-force than with knowledge.

2) Objects can absorb energy. We see this with infrared technology. If they can absorb heat, what other energy can they absorb than we do not have instruments to measure? Also, their absorption does not hinge on a human presence and it doesn't matter if knowledge is involved at all.

3) A hot object must be kept away from children so they don't get burned, unless the child is old enough and smart enough to learn not to touch it. Magical objects I see the same way. They have absorbed a certain energy that certain people are not aware of and so don't consider before they pick up an object and are possibly harmed or affected. Just like a small child may not know the extremes of "hot" and "cold". Knowledge comes in to play here only in so much as people are knowledgeable about the energy an object may contain. Poisonous plants to me are not objects, they are live beings like animals. Knowledge also comes in to play here, but its different. Children and unknowlegeable people should be taught that plants are like animals in so much as some may harm you if you do not know their nature or do not heed their nature.

Basicly, there is value in knowledge, but I do think there is more to magic than knowledge or "head magic". There is a very real energy that is utilized by some people whether they have knowledge of it or not. I have felt this energy and I have seen it in others. That is why I agreed with all three points Jevne pointed out, though maybe not the exact wording.

• Upvote 4

I disagree. I do not think that knowledge necessarily equates with power.

1) A child can bring about great destruction or healing through witchcraft and know nothing about what they are doing. In my experience, there is a certain amount of inner power there and it is present in nearly everyone, though, more so in some than others. I have come across some pretty powerful children in my time and it is not something that can be easily explained. I do know that from what I experienced, that level of "power" can not exactly correlate with knowledge. I do agree that knowledge can help to develop one as witch or hone and strengthen "power" but "power", to me, is more closely related with biochemical energy or life-force than with knowledge.

I agree Whiterose with the some people being born with the power and the comment you made. I feel that there are those that don't know that they causes things to happen.

In my case, I eventually became aware of the extent of my abilities late in life after leaving a long long trail of results that made many people afraid of me or keep there distant over the years. And only after become aware of myself that I realized I caused pain and disruption for others over the years.

• Upvote 1

Thoughts?

1.  I don't know that I would call being born with power a birthright.  In the case of the chief I can see it being phrased that way.  Perhaps it is a birthright and I just haven't looked at it from that perspective. 

I don't think that knowledge itself is power.  I think the ability to utilize the knowledge that one has, gains and works for can make an individual powerful.  Without the ability to use the knowledge that a person has then it's just information.

I agree that people are born with inherent and latent abilities.  I also think that some people are born powerful.  I've seen it in some children.   They need to be trained to handle their natural abilities or they can wreak havoc without realizing it.

2.  No, not all power is in your head.  There are objects that are or are created to be very powerful.  We do it all the time.

3.  The terminology of #3 is very NOT politically correct but I understand it and agree with it. 

Back to the original question of 'where does the power come from'?  I believe that every witch has inherent power.  Some can tap into it or use it more easily than others but if one is truly a witch - they have that power inside themselves.  There is also power outside of ourselves that we can access.  Whether we are the cause, catalyst or conduit - that power flows through us.

• Upvote 1

Wow! How did I ever miss this topic?

I am totally on board with the witch's power being "inherent", however one must be open to the acknowledgment & acceptance to be able to use what has been inherented. With the acceptance & acknowledgement, there becomes development.

Yes... Use it, or lose it. :biggrin:

Sometimes we lose it, then come back to it..... :wink:

Inherent power really means squat all if one does not have the knowledge of how to make use of it, ergo, knowledge, along with ability (inherent or gained, or a combination) can equate to power.

I grant that 'talent' does vary, and some have more natural talent than others. But, not always do those with natural talent go very far, while those with less talent work hard and apply themselves thus surpassing those who initially had more inherent talent.

I've seen it, too.  Natural talent plus education makes a hell of a combination.

My model for understanding witch power is that everything in existence is an infinite and self-renewing sea of energy/power. I think the witch has her own inherent power, yes, originating from emotions and the energy of the body.  I think that she can also draw it from the elements by using candles, herbs, magical tools, etc. It can be drawn too from living things such as trees or from the sun and moon. It can be borrowed from deities and ancestors. And I agree with the quote about shamans who become "like the hollow bone". I feel a current running through me that I can use but I don't believe I possess it. I started experiencing energy that way when I had a third eye opening/kundalini experience.

Edited by Anubha

I don't think the tools are made to draw energy from. What's a candle's energy going to do for you, really? What power does a candle have? None. It is merely a tool for channeling. A witch can work on their own, all the tools made a difference in the same sense that a remote control makes a difference when watching television. It's a way to direct what you're trying to achieve, but little to no power comes inherently from there. As for things with a spirit.....well, those can be different. But a candle, magical tools like a knife? Very little they can offer aside from being a means for channeling.

^^ Nice.

I just had this exact conversation with another witch tonight.  I think a Witch's power comes from with in.

When she/he can also open up to receive outside power ( like a conduit)  and is able direct that current towards a target / goal, that's pretty cool, too.

And, as Witches don't we 'empower' objects all the time?

When we aren't blowing them up, that is :)

Edited by Nikki
  • Upvote 1

I don't think the tools are made to draw energy from. What's a candle's energy going to do for you, really? What power does a candle have? None. It is merely a tool for channeling. A witch can work on their own, all the tools made a difference in the same sense that a remote control makes a difference when watching television. It's a way to direct what you're trying to achieve, but little to no power comes inherently from there. As for things with a spirit.....well, those can be different. But a candle, magical tools like a knife? Very little they can offer aside from being a means for chaOk, not tools.

Ok, power doesn't come from tools. I misspoke. I guess they're more like symbols to focus on. But I have read that there is power in things like essential oils and say the candle flame itself and crystals that can be drawn from. I don't use a lot of things like this myself. Not in spells anyway. Although I do feel strong energy coming from some crystals. I generally use my will, emotions and visualizations. Or I just use sigils.

Edited by Anubha

Ok, power doesn't come from tools. I misspoke. I guess they're more like symbols to focus on. But I have read that there is power in things like essential oils and say the candle flame itself and crystals that can be drawn from. I don't use a lot of things like this myself. Not in spells anyway.  I generally use my will, emotions and visualizations. Or I just use sigils.

They have energy on their own, which can certainly be wielded as power. However, their power on their own is not great - it's how YOU, the manipulator, interacts with it which makes it powerful. When talking workings, these things are not *where power comes from*, but are merely how it is guided.

I see your point. Some of my opinion on this was based on a thread on the forum. I believe it was started by Lilu. She said that the trees and plants and sun that she normally drew power from were not giving her energy because it was winter. I don't relate to this myself because I always have the same amount of magickal power. At least, it doesn't seem to fluctuate that much. I do I feel like I need some vitamin d in the winter sometimes. But other members seemed to relate to what she was saying so I guess I assumed it was different for others. I think it wasn't really clear though, if she meant magickal power or physical power. I'll have to go back and look.

Edited by Anubha

power...seems to come from all around...the earth, planets and stars, all beings physical and non, even lingering emotions left in empty rooms by previous tennents... but we definatly channel it, move it, direct it and instil it with our desire and intent. tools sometimes seem pretty important to me, though I know they aren't a must have, theyr kindof like tiny knobs on a radio helping to dial in just the right station. each tool or knob helping to get that energy vibrating just right. or maybe just helping getting the mind or emotions in the right state. both important yea?  its all just one big river, and sometimes with practice and knowledge we can move the stones just the right way to get the water to flow the way we want it. sometimes the rivers a bit more swollen then we thought and ends up washing away the paths we had planned. sometimes it just dries up or the stones erode to soon. I think that...power is like a river in the way it comes and then it goes and ither through the clouds or springs in the ground (metaphore) it comes back round again.   maybe power just is.

• Upvote 1

I love this thread. I've learned a lot and thought a lot as a result of reading it. I believe in the power within ourselves and other sources, and that we can use both. Learning to channel and/or direct that power is an amazing and exciting experience!

I wanted to explore the idea of what someone said a few pages back about how we run out of energy and need to re-fuel. I think this can happen both physically and spiritually. Both types of energy become drained at some point. I believe that is because of the connectness of all of us to everything else; the web. So, if I eat a carrot but not the gnarly end bit, and let's say I peeled the skin off too, I can get a certain amount of energy from that. I can feed the scraps to my rabbits or chicken, or give them to the compost. Both ways, it turns into soil. This isn't a food for me, but it's now a food for a plant. That plant can be more food for me, depending on the type of plant grown. So, just because I'm not directly eating it anymore, doesn't mean it's energy isn't useful elsewhere, and it still may come back my way after completing a cycle.

In more 'unseen' sort of an energetic example, if I channel the power of a storm, that can give me a feeling of a very powerful energy, and once I've used it, will feel very depleted of energy. That's usually when I would look into grounding myself, and finding general ways of building up some energy in myself, whatever works at the time. I might look within for ways of building my energy back up, or externally. I think in this universe, and on earth, there is a lot of 'swapping' of energy going on; of plants giving us energy, then giving another plant energy, while it takes up energy itself, so it in turn can go on to give us energy. We use up our energy to do things, then find ways to restore it. I feel everything is connected to each other, and we do our part in that with our amount of energy to offer. It's a constant exchange.

Guest SorcererSupreme

Injustice and that impulse that drives us to make amends with that which violated and trespassed us.

Sign in to follow this