#41 LdyShalott

LdyShalott

NecRomancer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 09:25 AM

Excellent post Abhainn.... voting it up! :cool_witch:

Most witches don’t believe in gods. They know that the gods exist, of course. They even deal with them occasionally. But they don’t believe in them. They know them too well. It would be like believing in the postman.  T.P.

In order to understand the living.. you have to commune with the dead..
You are a tiny little soul carrying around a corpse.-- Epictetus
All experience is an arch wherethrough gleams that untravelled world whose margin fades for ever and for ever when I move.

#42 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 01:41 PM

For some reason I'm not having any luck with the quote thingie, lol ... but that's not unusual for me. I suppose it depends on how you define power/energy. To me, if a witch were a battery then yes, she can "plug herself in" and raise power, store power, and access her power at will... and yes, some people may be born with "natural battery" impulses, others have to learn it. And yes, of course everythign has a life force/energy, including the witch. But remove the source of the current, and a battery eventually dries up and goes stagnant or even dies. Granted I know sod-all about electronics, but that's the best I can come up with so far, lol. A psychic vampyre-type witch could just pull on other's stored up battery power and drain them, but she's not connecting to the source (and actually that's one type of cursing... draining someone's battery power until they rectify a situation, but that's ot, lol). But what I look to is the source of the energy that fuels the batteries. Where, who, and why? And yes, obviousley it comes from the earth and there is a tremendous amount of energy within the earth and the things on it (oceans, winds, etc.).

Sometimes with ancestors I get a sepcific feeliing/message that seems person-specific, especially if it is an ancestor I have known (like my father). But often times it seems more of a pool of knowledge and it could even be combined knowledge of several or many ancestor experiences not just specifically tapping into one person. I don't even know that these ancestors still exist with person-specific capabilities, but I do know their experiences and knowledge still exists. Perhaps the ones more recently passed-over have a more human-type feeling to them as they are closer to this reality... I don't know. But ancestors are not necessarily DNA blood-relative ancestors. They are ones who have walked your specific path before you. Sometimes I do wonder how that works with the very eclectic paths as I think it may narrow the ancestor base, but I'd have to think on that some more. I am also starting to get the feeling that if one oathes to a god-form, then that god-form itself becomes an ancestor of the witches' line along with all who walked the path with that god-form... if you think about it, that's one helluva long trail. So to break an oath with any god-form becomes breaking an oath to your ancestors you adopted by taking that original oath.

I also thinnk working with gods can be like dating - if one doesn't have a specific tradition then one could work with this one and that one seeing if there is a fit and if a relationship and understanding can develop - like dating. But you wouldn't get married (oath) to someone without dating them a long time and making sure that you hold the same beliefs, have a good solid relationship, etc. And as for using god-forms only for spells, would be like going through the dating thing with some guy you really don't like but are only marrying for their money. And how long is that marriage going to last? Not to mention questions about values and intregity.

I have worked with several god-forms but I have not oathed to one to date. Interestingly enough, as my introduction was Wicca and I was initiated into a Gardnerian coven, I wondered about the breaking of oathes as I left that path. I know people here are not Wiccan, but to me an oath is an oath and my word is my word and I would consider breaking that VERY serious whether or not it is a god I still relate to. I talked to my old teacher about that and it was her opinion that I had oathed to the coven and not to the gods as I left that path very shortly after initiation. I don't think it is so much a retaliation thing from gods - oath breaking - but that it is a personal integraty thing. If I oath to something and break my word, then I am an oath-breaker, and how could I expect anyone or thing to take me seriously? When my son asks if he can borrow 20 bucks and he'll give it back next week, I know damn well I'm never seeing that 20 bucks again, lol, becuase that is what past experience has taught me with lending him mooney (and no, I dont mind helping out my son, lol). And I wouldn't want anything from the other realities to start taking my oaths and my would as complete shit. "She never means what she says... she means the opposite" could get one into a whole lot of trouble in their lives. Even spells that you call ancestor experience for - "well, we all know she means the opposite of what she's asking for..." Okay, that's an extremely literal explanation, but you get my drift.

So for me the finding of the source and working with it is one thing, but oathing to it is a whole 'nother ball-game. Gods are archtypes of the source of this energy, but they are also individuals within their own right and have specific personalities, to me. So in "dating" a god, I wouldn't use one solely for spell-power, becuase it would be rude and demeaning would not be conducive to a reciprical inter-active relationship with that spirit or force.

M

Edited by Michele, 19 August 2013 - 10:54 PM.

#43 Whiterose

Whiterose

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,747 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 08:47 PM

Would you say that discovering one's personal power might come as part of a process that includes perhaps deities, spirits, ancestors, elements, personal power? For instance, when I first looked into the craft, it was through Wicca, and I relied heavily on my relationships with various deities and the elements for power for spells. I didn't really think I had any personal power. Then I began looking into just the elements, since I'm heavily nature based. Helpful, but in the process, I learned that I had my own power that I could raise and direct (even if I didn't know exactly how to do so effectively, often resulting in some uncomfortable and over-powering experiences before I grounded). Once in a while, I'll refer to my patronesses for added oomph.

Tonight, after reading several posts about how some of you work with ancestors, I started thinking about that avenue as well. It's a little vague for me, because I'm adopted and the family I know about were NOT witchy whatsoever. Since I've been having trouble with my runes, I asked for my ancestors to guide me. I also used as a "field" a school chalk slate that one of my adopted ancestors used with his name etched in the slate. He was from my adopted dad's side of the family. I felt a presence that someone had "stepped forward" so to speak, and the reading was not only simple, but incredibly accurate (where usually my attempts at rune divination have been vague and unsatisfying, like I just couldn't get it). And it was incredibly positive. I thanked my ancestor, and felt a warm sensation against my left ear, like I was getting a hug.

Each of my different experiences with different sources of power highlighted a kind of relationship with the source. With my patronesses, I worked with them in order to discover magic and power, and to explore some areas of spirituality that I hadn't considered before (many of my patronesses are crones). Working with the elemental energies helped me understand the interconnected nature of nature. Learning my personal power (catalyzed by my emotions) helped me focus and learn to direct energies and emotions. And my first real experience with my ancestors (even if I don't know who it was - could have been the one who owned the school slate) helped me with divination. I willingly admit that I'm a total noob at this, and that I have much to learn. All of my sources (even my personal power) teach me as much as they aid my workings.

I too voted this up. Excellent post. It echos the philosophy I have read from many on here with added personal experience. Even if you think you are a noob, it seems like you are advancing alot faster than many others I have seen. I'm excited for you! :happydance:

#44 Marabet

Marabet

Miss Clavel's Shadow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 10:40 PM

It almost seems as if "power" has become a dirty word among some witches, like it has to be all about connection with something greater. While I do think that connections to a greater source (however you perceive that source or sources) are valid and important, I believe (personally) that a witch also possesses their own internal power and much can be accomplished with it. I find focusing on connection only to be an unbalanced view. At the risk of sounded "deluded", I do believe that I was born with this power, as it was manifesting itself through me and through connections making themselves known to me long before it ever occurred to me to seek to use that power to my advantage. I'm not of the belief that I would lose the abilities that come natural to me if I denied their source and used them for my own ego only. I think they would remain in me and be as strong as they ever were, I just might be more of an asshole than I already am. ;)

For what it's worth this is what I have always figured was true of "power". However I can't complete dismiss outside sources, either. To me it stands to reason that it can be both, one or the other, and of course nothing at all. This depends on the witch and several other different factors but I think this could be the reason why there is disagreement over it. If any of that made sense. I'm seem to not be doing that of late.

I ran to a tower where the church bells chime
I hoped that they would clear my mind
They left a ringing in my ear
But that drum's still beating loud and clear

{Florence + The Machine 'Drumming Song'}

#45 Aloe

Aloe

ridge running Ozark banshee..

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,420 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 10:51 PM

For what it's worth this is what I have always figured was true of "power". However I can't complete dismiss outside sources, either. To me it stands to reason that it can be both, one or the other, and of course nothing at all. This depends on the witch and several other different factors but I think this could be the reason why there is disagreement over it. If any of that made sense. I'm seem to not be doing that of late.

I agree, if you look at my post you can see that I don't at all discredit outside sources, just feel that looking to connection only is unbalanced, IMO.

"The people who live in the Ozark country of Missouri and Arkansas were, until very recently, the most deliberately unprogressive people in the United States. Descended from pioneers who came West from the Southern Appalachians at the beginning of the nineteenth century, they made little contact with the outer world for more than a hundred years. They seem like foreigners to the average urban American, but nearly all of them come of British stock, and many families have lived in America since colonial days. Their material heirlooms are few, but like all isolated illiterates they have clung to the old songs and obsolete sayings and outworn customs of their ancestors." Ozark Magic and Folklore

#46 Marabet

Marabet

Miss Clavel's Shadow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 11:00 PM

I agree, if you look at my post you can see that I don't at all discredit outside sources, just feel that looking to connection only is unbalanced, IMO.

Right. I wasn't challenging you on that point just brining in my $0.02 worth.

I ran to a tower where the church bells chime
I hoped that they would clear my mind
They left a ringing in my ear
But that drum's still beating loud and clear

{Florence + The Machine 'Drumming Song'}

#47 lusa

lusa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 02:46 AM

I was reading a thread today and I can't find it now, but basicaly it was saying that power belongs to the witch and no outside help is needed from spirits, ancestors, gods, etc., and I have been thinking about that all night and where power comes from.

I was not born "powerful." Yes, to an extent one own's one's power, but that is not becuase the witch herself is "powerful." Power is through the ability to connect to and tremble the web and from energy (serpent energy, current, etc.) the witch has the knowledge to build up, pull in, and work with. I would definitely say that any god-form, archtypal or otherwise, is more powerful than I am by it's very nature...

I was thinking about this idea - how much power are we born with. I sometimes wonder, and think back to the magic of my childhood and infancy. I'm one of those oddlings who can remember ceilings in homes from ages of under 2 yrs old (because you spend so much time on your back staring at stuff and drooling). To say that we gain power as we go and discover ourselves makes sense. But there's also a side of me that feels we lose or forget (perhaps not permanently for all) an inherent knowledge of magic that we had when we were children. And I'm not talking the joy of watching a Disney movie. That sense of newness, the way that the world sometimes felt that it would yield to your touch. Sometimes I can feel that still, other times I can't. Perhaps that's all just emotive drivel, but there was a sense of solitary brilliance, of being the web, I felt as a kid that, when I'm at my best as an adult, I can regain. I wonder how much it is with us all the way, with just the eyes and tools we use to look at it that make the difference.

"We sailed through endless skies. Stars shine like eyes. The black night sighs."

#48 Abhainn

Abhainn

Lady Vagabond

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 515 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 09:11 AM

Excellent post Abhainn.... voting it up! :cool_witch:

Thanks! :biggrin2:

~ Abhainn

"Run mad as often as you choose; but do not faint."
hagstones.blogspot.com

#49 Abhainn

Abhainn

Lady Vagabond

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 515 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 09:17 AM

I too voted this up. Excellent post. It echos the philosophy I have read from many on here with added personal experience. Even if you think you are a noob, it seems like you are advancing alot faster than many others I have seen. I'm excited for you! :happydance:

Thank you! :loving:

~ Abhainn

hagstones.blogspot.com

#50 Abhainn

Abhainn

Lady Vagabond

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 515 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 09:41 AM

I was thinking about this idea - how much power are we born with. I sometimes wonder, and think back to the magic of my childhood and infancy. I'm one of those oddlings who can remember ceilings in homes from ages of under 2 yrs old (because you spend so much time on your back staring at stuff and drooling). To say that we gain power as we go and discover ourselves makes sense. But there's also a side of me that feels we lose or forget (perhaps not permanently for all) an inherent knowledge of magic that we had when we were children. And I'm not talking the joy of watching a Disney movie. That sense of newness, the way that the world sometimes felt that it would yield to your touch. Sometimes I can feel that still, other times I can't. Perhaps that's all just emotive drivel, but there was a sense of solitary brilliance, of being the web, I felt as a kid that, when I'm at my best as an adult, I can regain. I wonder how much it is with us all the way, with just the eyes and tools we use to look at it that make the difference.

This reminds me of the doubt, reality, and magic thread. When I was younger, I believed whole-heartedly in magic and had no reason to question it. I just knew my little spells were effective because (and I think this is important) no one told me otherwise, and I was allowed to explore it. It was only when I grew up and grew skeptical (read: bitter) I lost my "faith" in magic. And getting back to the firm certainty that I indeed can manipulate energies for my purposes has taken a lot of time and reconditioning. I approach magic differently, but I still return to the natural "ingredients" that made up my childhood magic. So, perhaps the power we are born with is the untainted faith we have as children in our ability to change "unchangeable" reality. I didn't know if I was drawing power from the rocks I crushed or the rainwater I collected or the flowers I used, or something outside of nature, or a supernatural being. I just "did it" regardless.

I know this is a lot like what you were saying (if not exactly). Am I getting your point right?

~ Abhainn

hagstones.blogspot.com

#51 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 11:20 AM

... I approach magic differently, but I still return to the natural "ingredients" that made up my childhood magic...

I wonder if there would be a different meaning if the above were worded "I approach spell-casting differently, but I still return to the natural ingredients that made my childhood magical." I was not born with any sense of being a witch, but I was born with a sense that the world I lived in (which was a rural town in England) was not just what was visible. I would not have called it magical becuase I did not even know the word, nor would I have thought about it. It was long enough ago that kids were allowed to play outside without fear of pervs, and I was shoed out the door shortly after breakfast chorse and sent to go play until lunchh (or "elevenses"). Play I did - either with my sister or myself... I picked poppies, got stung by nettles, ran through fields and climbed over styles. A style is often used as a depiction for crossing the hedge. I left the yard and the house and I ventured forth to a world where nature reigned and that world was magical. I used to think the trees were talking to each other - it never occurred to me it had to be only the wind - I knew the wind rustled them, but it never occurred to me that they couldn't be talking as well. That, for me, is what all this is about. Not whether one believes that spells work, but in the magical existance - in the combining of worlds and living in both, of really and truly beyond doubt still believing as children.... that trees do talk, that buttercups can smile, and that the bog holes used to suck my shoes off my feet on purpose. That is the magical world in which mundane spell-crafting travels. Adn that is the world that is hardest to hold onto. And I don't think it is a lost innocense becuase that world can be very nasty if it wants to be, it's a lost way of seeing things and a lost connection to understanding what it is that witches tap into. To this day my mother says that if you have a house plant that isn't doing well to move him next to a bigger plant so he has a "friend" to show him the ropes. She's in her mid-eighties so people think it's adorably sweet, but none of them realize that she really believes it, and nor do they believe it really works.

M

M

#52 Sparrow

Sparrow

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 10:32 PM

This is a really interesting thread, love reading everyone's different perspectives. I'm especially curious about the distinction being made between internal and external sources of power. This is something I'm definitely aware of... My innate energy, and the energy in nature, and spirit energy, all have a different "feel" to me. Like there is a qualitative difference between them. Perhaps some of us simply associate with a different "type" of energy more than others? For example some have said they find power within while others find their power without.

Personally I am more aware of "nature" energy than I am others, although I am *finally* regaining my awareness of spirits after years of silence... Because I have reached out and am working to overcome the fears that were instilled in me. I'm planning on searching the forum for ideas on working with spirits, I am a total newb in this area...

Michele, thanks for the tip about poorly plants, I will definitely give that a go! My rosemary cuttings are a bit weak and I've been at a loss as to how to help them. Thanks!

Sparrow

"All knowledge is worth having."

#53 JuniperBaby

JuniperBaby

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 10:29 PM

Thank you everyone, who takes the time to contribute to threads like this.
Aliis volat propriis.
She flies with her own wings.

#54 Scylla

Scylla

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 12:21 AM

I was reading a thread today and I can't find it now, but basicaly it was saying that power belongs to the witch and no outside help is needed from spirits, ancestors, gods, etc., and I have been thinking about that all night and where power comes from.

The way I learned it there is "Witch Power" or "Witch Fire" - that power is a byproduct of our living bodies, and is like a raw current which can be directed and manipulated (because it is part of us). Our Witch Power is our own - it can be inflamed by dancing, ecstasy, drunkenness, prayer/worship and good old fashioned chanting. But it is us, from us, out of us, wholly "ours".

Part of accessing that power is then learning to see it's corollary in other things. Candles, as they are consumed, produce a holy fire. Herbs contained their own spark. So on and so forth. We have to be either in dominance over, or partnership with, the power in these things to bring them into our purposes. Hence "charging" and inscribing candles, blessing and combining herbs, consecrating (or not) of concerns. Spirits, Gods, Ancestors - are also all corollaries, but generally not ones we (my Folk, at least) muscle around.

(edited to fix broken quote)

Edited by Scylla, 21 November 2011 - 12:26 AM.

#55 Aloe

Aloe

ridge running Ozark banshee..

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,420 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 02:54 AM

The way I learned it there is "Witch Power" or "Witch Fire" - that power is a byproduct of our living bodies, and is like a raw current which can be directed and manipulated (because it is part of us). Our Witch Power is our own - it can be inflamed by dancing, ecstasy, drunkenness, prayer/worship and good old fashioned chanting. But it is us, from us, out of us, wholly "ours".

Part of accessing that power is then learning to see it's corollary in other things. Candles, as they are consumed, produce a holy fire. Herbs contained their own spark. So on and so forth. We have to be either in dominance over, or partnership with, the power in these things to bring them into our purposes. Hence "charging" and inscribing candles, blessing and combining herbs, consecrating (or not) of concerns. Spirits, Gods, Ancestors - are also all corollaries, but generally not ones we (my Folk, at least) muscle around.

Love the way you worded this Scylla.

"The people who live in the Ozark country of Missouri and Arkansas were, until very recently, the most deliberately unprogressive people in the United States. Descended from pioneers who came West from the Southern Appalachians at the beginning of the nineteenth century, they made little contact with the outer world for more than a hundred years. They seem like foreigners to the average urban American, but nearly all of them come of British stock, and many families have lived in America since colonial days. Their material heirlooms are few, but like all isolated illiterates they have clung to the old songs and obsolete sayings and outworn customs of their ancestors." Ozark Magic and Folklore

#56 Sparrow

Sparrow

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 09:27 AM

Scylla, you worded this beautifully. It's really clarified my own thoughts on the matter. Thank you.

Sparrow

"All knowledge is worth having."

#57 brea

brea

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 12:49 PM

Obviously (or not! lol) I am going through something right now (which I am not going to get into), but I don't think that "power" deserts me if I use it for my ego and deny its source - power is energy and energy is not cognizant. Energy runs through everything and is the living force of everything (including things that don't breathe, like rocks, water, etc.). Accessing that energy is what makes and manipulates magic. I do believe that if this energy ceased to exist, every living thing on this planet would cease to live. Denying the source of this energy won't negate my ability to access the energy, but for my path denying the source does give me less understanding of this energy if I don't understand or ever look for where it comes from. In that respect, without this source I cease to exist, becuase the energy then ceases to exist. The energy is the land serpent that powers every living thing. Any power I have comes from my ability to cognizantly interact with this energy and manipulate it, not any power that is in me, personally. Maybe some people are different, but without that energy I not only don't have any power, I don't even exist. My path happens to be heavily "spiritual" as well as practical, so for me the source of this living energy, its meaning to me, and my realtionship to it, is extremely important.

M

The animating principle. It animates everything. It flows around and through us all the time. We breathe it in and out. It animates us and therefore our work and everything we use in our work.
Leylines are a manifestation of them. Power centers like Glastonbury Tor.
In some Witch Traditions this animating principle is seen as a Serpent. Serpent in the mound. Serpent in the egg. We are all just lumps of clay without this animation.

Brea

#58 Grymdycche

Grymdycche

Thaumaturge Medicocre

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,480 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 05:24 PM

Candles used from beeswax.... herbs from the Earth... let us not forget... the Elements. Fire, Wind, Earth, Water, Metal.......... and in my opinion ............ Sound.

Regards,
Gypsy
[/color]

Yes Brigid, :yes:

Metals are Elements. Gold, Copper, Iron, Mercury, Gold... ect... just to name a few.

Regards,
Gypsy

You lost me here too, CG. I think you mixed your elemental models.
You may at first have seemed to be referring to the 4 Classic Aristotelian Elements of Fire, Earth, Air (wind) and Water, which may have been what threw Brigid off, but then by way of introducing "metal", I thought maybe you meant the 5 ancient Elements according to the Chinese, AKA the Wu Xing, which are : Wood, Fire, Earth, Metal and Water. (not Wind, however).

Prolly more to my point though, specific modern day scientific elements such as iron, copper, gold are defined completely differently from the other two ancient elemental models, and are based on their unique atomic number in the periodic table (number of protons in the atomic nucleus, yadda yadda).
As such, Earth, Air, Metal, Wood, Fire and Water are not modern "elements" in the same way that gold or copper are. Also, not all metals are necessarily elements in that way either- an alloy, such as steel, or bronze, is a combination of elements, iron and carbon, or copper and tin. Some of us may be surprised to find that even sodium, calcium, and potassium are also categorized as metals! (weird, ain't it?)

I guess my point is, it's not intuitive to list Earth, Fire, Wind, Metal, Water, along with gold, copper, iron, etc. all together as "elements" because it's conflating two or three different models/systems.
I mean, if you see it that way and it works for you, great, but I understand Brigid's question because it's non-standard.

As to the original post.. since it would be kinda ignorant of me to not address the main topic of the thread, I've always subscribed - as totally lame as I know this will sound- to a kind of "The Force" principal, as described in Star Wars (*wince*) :pinch: I really hate that a tacky space opera has to serve as such an obvious example but hey, it's close (though not exact) to how I see it. I think it's something that can be tapped into, and like a web, provides an interconnection to everything.
And no, I'm not planning on joining the church of the Jedi.. :dry:

http://runeforum.phrets.com
9 out of 10 string theory physicists agree: 'Nothing Rests; Everything Moves; Everything Vibrates'' -the Kybalion.

#59 CelticGypsy

CelticGypsy

Crazy NastyAss Honey Badger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,105 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 05:52 PM

You lost me here too, CG. I think you mixed your elemental models. ~ grins ~ may I add a disclaimer Grym ? I never said I was smart. LOL ! I just love the basic rawness of a metal component, and yes it works for me . Lol ! Here I am rolling with the Aristotelian Elements, and never knew it. Thank you for sharing this with me, but can you tell me about " sound ", I so want to know about the depths of " sound ".

You may at first have seemed to be referring to the 4 Classic Aristotelian Elements of Fire, Earth, Air (wind) and Water, which may have been what threw Brigid off, but then by way of introducing "metal", I thought maybe you meant the 5 ancient Elements according to the Chinese, AKA the Wu Xing, which are : Wood, Fire, Earth, Metal and Water. (not Wind, however).

Prolly more to my point though, specific modern day scientific elements such as iron, copper, gold are defined completely differently from the other two ancient elemental models, and are based on their unique atomic number in the periodic table (number of protons in the atomic nucleus, yadda yadda).
As such, Earth, Air, Metal, Wood, Fire and Water are not modern "elements" in the same way that gold or copper are. Also, not all metals are necessarily elements in that way either- an alloy, such as steel, or bronze, is a combination of elements, iron and carbon, or copper and tin. Some of us may be surprised to find that even sodium, calcium, and potassium are also categorized as metals! (weird, ain't it?) How about pewter ? Your knowledge about sodium, calcium and potassium classifications as metals, wowzars, I take them daily as a part of my health, for a seasoned woman. Who knew ??? lol !

I guess my point is, it's not intuitive to list Earth, Fire, Wind, Metal, Water, along with gold, copper, iron, etc. all together as "elements" because it's conflating two or three different models/systems.
I mean, if you see it that way and it works for you, great, but I understand Brigid's question because it's non-standard.

As to the original post.. since it would be kinda ignorant of me to not address the main topic of the thread, I've always subscribed - as totally lame as I know this will sound- to a kind of "The Force" principal, as described in Star Wars (*wince*) :pinch: I really hate that a tacky space opera has to serve as such an obvious example but hey, it's close (though not exact) to how I see it. I think it's something that can be tapped into, and like a web, provides an interconnection to everything.
And no, I'm not planning on joining the church of the Jedi.. :dry: LOL !
I just love the earthy metals, they have a purpose to my path, I feel grounded to them. It's a nature thing for me. For instance : Copper. It was essential to the economy of the Bronze Age. Bronze can't be made without copper, which forms bronze when alloyed with tin. Brass I think is made of copper alloyed with zinc. The only two colored elemental metals are gold and copper. You made me smart today Grym. lol !

Regards.
Gypsy

" The last thing you wanted a Witch to do is get bored and start making her own amusements, because Witches sometimes have erratically famous ideas about what was amusing "

Terry Pratchett Legends 1 

#60 Grymdycche

Grymdycche

Thaumaturge Medicocre

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,480 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 06:47 PM

I'm not a physicist or anything, but I could bore you further with the atomic properties of metal, especially conductive metals. ;) It partly comes from my electronics background.

What did you mean by the depth of sound, Gypsy? I don't mean to try to sound like "Mr. Wizard" or "Bill Nye the Science Guy" (you'd prolly have to be american to know either of them- suffice to say, they're kids' TV show science teachers), but I sorta know sound too -it's the electronics thing, plus the musician and recording background...
Lay it on me! :thinking:

http://runeforum.phrets.com
9 out of 10 string theory physicists agree: 'Nothing Rests; Everything Moves; Everything Vibrates'' -the Kybalion.