Photo
- - - - -

The Halloween Witch

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

#1 Sarafina

Sarafina

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 06:55 PM

I did not write this and I don't remember who did. but I hold this very dear to my heart and when I can enlighten a Christian of their wrong doing with this I do.

The Halloween Witch

Each year they parade her about...the traditional Halloween Witch.

Misshapen green face, stringy scrapes of hair, and a toothless mouth beneath her disfigured nose. Gnarled, knobby fingers twisted into a claw, protracting from a bent and twisted torso that lurches about on wobbly legs.

Most think this abject image to be the creation of a prejudiced mind, or merely a Halloween caricature.

I disagree. I believe this to be how witches were really see.

Consider that most witches: were women, were abducted in the night, and smuggled into dungeons or prisons under the secrecy of darkness, to be presented by the light of day as a confessed witch.

Few, if any saw a frightened, normal looking woman being dragged into a secret room filled with instruments of torture. To be questioned until she confessed to anything that was suggested to her, and to give names or whatever would stop the questions. Crowds saw the aberration denounced to the world a a self-proclaimed witch.

As the witch was paraded through the town, en route to be burned, hanged, drowned, stoned, or disposed of in various other forms of Christian love...all created to be free and save her soul from her depraved body. The jeering crowds viewed the result of hour of torture. The face, bruised and broken by countless blows, bore a hue of sickly green. The once warm and loving smile gone.

Replaced by a grimace of broken teeth and torn gums the leer beneath a battered, disfigured nose. The disheveled hair conceals bleeding gaps of torn scalp from whence cruel hands had torn away the lovely tresses. Broken, twisted hands clutched the wagon for support. Fractured fingers locked like groping claws to steady her broken body. All semblance of humanity gone. This was a demon, a bride of Satan, a witch.

I revere this Halloween crone and hold her sacred above all. I honor her courage and listen to her warnings of the dark side of humanity.

Each year I shed tears of respect.

#2 Guest_MissTree_*

Guest_MissTree_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 August 2011 - 11:02 PM

Haunting imagery. :cry: Appreciate you sharing that.

#3 Guest_Elfyd_*

Guest_Elfyd_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 August 2011 - 11:40 PM

Powerful, moving and alarming.

like so many victims of hate and corrupted power even to this day.

I share your sentiments.

FFFF
Elf

#4 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 01:05 AM

Many cultures have used, and still use, torture for any they feel have wronged them. As I type this someone is getting killed, someone is getting raped, a child is starving, a child is being born, someone is celebrating a pregnancy, someone is dealing with a cancer diagnosis, someone is getting married, someone is attending a funeral. Hatred and fear will never stop no matter what culture - whether it be burning witches or xtians being fed to the lions or jews and the holocaust, it is, sadly, the nature of the human and it will only stop when each person stops hating ANYONE different from themselves, and sees something of worth besides power.

My ex-father-in-law was Jewish and he would not even buy a product if it was affiliated with a German company, yet he referred to black people in derogatory terms. I once asked him how he could do that having once been on the receiving end of racial haterd, and he just shrugged and said "it's how I was raised." I think that is the biggest crock of shit I have ever heard. People need to start thinking for themselves and apply it to ALL races and minorities and people, not just the one's they're affiliated with.

Right this second someone in some other country hates me - just becuase I am American. They've never met me, and if they came over and had coffee we'd probably laugh and find common values on love of family and stories of our grandkids. But they hate me. It has to start with the self. People won't change, but there's a chance if you can get them to see YOU rather than your associations and as long as one hates others, on can't complain of others hating them. Someone has to be the first one to give in and call for a truce, and it's a battle worth loosing.

M

#5 FalcnStar

FalcnStar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 09:58 PM

Truly makes you think. Thank you for sharing...I won't look at the Halloween witch quite the same anymore.

I did not write this and I don't remember who did. but I hold this very dear to my heart and when I can enlighten a Christian of their wrong doing with this I do.

The Halloween Witch

Misshapen green face, stringy scrapes of hair, and a toothless mouth beneath her disfigured nose. Gnarled, knobby fingers twisted into a claw, protracting from a bent and twisted torso that lurches about on wobbly legs.

Most think this abject image to be the creation of a prejudiced mind, or merely a Halloween caricature.

Consider that most witches: were women, were abducted in the night, and smuggled into dungeons or prisons under the secrecy of darkness, to be presented by the light of day as a confessed witch.

Few, if any saw a frightened, normal looking woman being dragged into a secret room filled with instruments of torture. To be questioned until she confessed to anything that was suggested to her, and to give names or whatever would stop the questions. Crowds saw the aberration denounced to the world a a self-proclaimed witch.

As the witch was paraded through the town, en route to be burned, hanged, drowned, stoned, or disposed of in various other forms of Christian love...all created to be free and save her soul from her depraved body. The jeering crowds viewed the result of hour of torture. The face, bruised and broken by countless blows, bore a hue of sickly green. The once warm and loving smile gone.

Replaced by a grimace of broken teeth and torn gums the leer beneath a battered, disfigured nose. The disheveled hair conceals bleeding gaps of torn scalp from whence cruel hands had torn away the lovely tresses. Broken, twisted hands clutched the wagon for support. Fractured fingers locked like groping claws to steady her broken body. All semblance of humanity gone. This was a demon, a bride of Satan, a witch.

I revere this Halloween crone and hold her sacred above all. I honor her courage and listen to her warnings of the dark side of humanity.

:cauldron04: Without Magick the world would be a barren place.. :wavex:  :vhappywitch:

#6 Imya

Imya

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 10:48 PM

If people only cared to find out the true origin behind most things to find and ugly truth. Thank you for this.

Imya

#7 Lilikate

Lilikate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 11:38 PM

Weird that you posted this. At my job we have a witch and a grim reaper on display in the main aisle of the salesfloor, and everyday I give the reaper a nod and I fix the witch's hair, put her hat back on correctly, and fix her clothes up a bit because people and kids come by and mess it up. People may think I'm weird, but whatevs lol.

thanks for sharing this, it's thought and emotion-provoking. Some of these women were just women, so I feel it on all types of levels.

I adore simple pleasures. They are the last refuge of the complex.

-Oscar Wilde

#8 GypsyFire

GypsyFire

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 12:19 AM

Absolutely profound Sarafina, and it shames me that sometimes I forget that when I see that image.....I can't wait to break that out the next time some Christian family wants to be snide and talk about Halloween imagery being all devilish and whatnot, guess if they look in the mirror the true devil will be revealed......

#9 Guest_Sage Stonepath_*

Guest_Sage Stonepath_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 October 2012 - 01:49 AM

It does make sense. the broken crone will always keep coming back.

#10 Stacey

Stacey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 673 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 02:56 AM

It's very evocative and powerful. Thank you.
"The mind is not a book, to be opened at will and examined at leisure. Thoughts are not etched on the inside of skulls, to be perused by an invader. The mind is a complex and many-layered thing." Severus Snape - HP and the Order of the Phoenix

#11 Athena

Athena

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 10:26 AM

That's chilling, I must admit I had never thought much about it thank you for making me think.

#12 Sarafina

Sarafina

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 06:24 PM

That's chilling, I must admit I had never thought much about it thank you for making me think.

I think we all tend to forget. We get so wrapped up in our own lives, that we forget how we got here or the the people who suffered for what we have today. I don't remember this until Halloween time and it's sad that I do this.

I think I am going to print this out and pin it to my refridgerator , so I see it every day and am reminded of those who suffered before me.

#13 Heks

Heks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 06:33 PM

The Halloween Witch

This made me cry bcause it is so true and I felt the horrific acts perpetrated on these women as if I was there. So sad.Thanks For posting x H

"One's own house, though small, is better,
For there thou art the master.
It makes a man's heart bleed to ask
for a midday meal at the house of another."

(35 Havamal, Edda)